PDA

View Full Version : Beatles, MJ and Elvis

italianfan
09-09-2009, 06:55 PM
What with MJ hitting the charts and looking like he will top Elvis as top earning dead celebrities this year. And The Beatles catalogue being re-issued. (Mid week chart shows The Beatles have about 7 albums in the top 10 in the UK).

Whats going to happen to Elvis?

Will The beatles pass Elvis in record sales? Will john lennon AND MJ pass Elvis in the top earning dead celebs?

Whats your views? I know to all of us Elvis is still the greatest but record sales etc are still important.

To me, EPE have to get their finger out, update all Elvis' back catalogue, re-package and re-issue.

Jimmy1966
09-09-2009, 07:03 PM
ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS!! Our Champion. One Man And His Musical Legacy. He'll see em off.

Pacerstar
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM
What with MJ hitting the charts and looking like he will top Elvis as top earning dead celebrities this year. And The Beatles catalogue being re-issued. (Mid week chart shows The Beatles have about 7 albums in the top 10 in the UK).

Will The beatles pass Elvis in record sales? Will john lennon AND MJ pass Elvis in the top earning dead celebs?

Whats your views? I know to all of us Elvis is still the greatest but record sales etc are still important.

To me, EPE have to get their finger out, update all Elvis' back catalogue, re-package and re-issue.

Imo, MJ and the Beatles may have a earning spurt and hit the big-time this
year; but, I think Elvis will have the staying power to bounce back up there
after that and remain there indefinitely.:D:D:D:D

Junebug
09-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not meaning to be rude but really don't feel like giving the questions much thought.

I'm tired of the rat race and the seemingly never-ending push to best one artist over another through charts, record sales, or most what-ever.

IMO, in today's world, many of these things are 'manufactured'.

Elvis will be fine.

I will continue to appreciate his accomplishments, talent, and place in cultural history.

:king:

italianfan
09-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm tired of the rat race and the seemingly never-ending push to best one artist over another through charts, record sales, or most what-ever.

I totally agree, Im just saying, the only way Elvis will gain new fans is if he is appreciated by new generations. Im 21 and i got into Elvis around the 25th anniversary because of all the new respect Elvis gained around that time, with remixes etc.

But will new generations appreciate him if he 'over-shadowed' by MJ and the beatles?

elvislady
09-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm not meaning to be rude but really don't feel like giving the questions much thought.

Elvis will be fine.

I will continue to appreciate his accomplishments, talent, and place in cultural history.

june thats exactly what i was going to say...it does not bother me at all i no what elvis was capable of !

elvislady (y)(y)

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
The fact is there will always be something happening with other artists especially those like the Beatles, they are a huge act and the record industry realise that and will keep refreshing their back catalogue, I believe this is aimed mainly at a hardcore fan base .

Michael Jackson has recently died so there is a huge demand for his work right now however this will fade in years to come and will be repackaged in the future to generate dwindling sales. At the moment the Jackson catalogue will have demand across all his (6) albums, in time that will almost certainly end up on one album possibly two.

Elvis will continue to sell at a steady rate, the market for Elvis is not impacted by MJ or the Beatles. Will MJ or the Beatles be touring even when deceased?

There's enough market for all of these guys. (y)

Polk-Salad-Annie
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Imo, MJ and the Beatles may have a earning spurt and hit the big-time this year; but, I think Elvis will have the staying power to bounce back up there after that and remain there indefinitely.:D:D:D:D
Very well said.(y)(y)
I could not say it better myself.

Jimmy1966
09-09-2009, 08:05 PM
my children have their own tastes in music ( BEYONCE-RHIANNA-KANYE WEST ETC.... )and when mj died they all agreed on 1 thing and that was he will never be as great an artist as elvis was.....and be remembered in the same way elvis presley is and will be in years to come. that was THEIR opinoin - my kids make me so proud..love em to bits..

Junebug
09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
my children have their own tastes in music ( BEYONCE-RHIANNA-KANYE WEST ETC.... )and when mj died they all agreed on 1 thing and that was he will never be as great an artist as elvis was.....and be remembered in the same way elvis presley is and will be in years to come. that was THEIR opinoin - my kids make me so proud..love em to bits..

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Junebug
09-09-2009, 08:44 PM
The fact is there will always be something happening with other artists especially those like the Beatles, they are a huge act and the record industry realise that and will keep refreshing their back catalogue, I believe this is aimed mainly at a hardcore fan base .

Michael Jackson has recently died so there is a huge demand for his work right now however this will fade in years to come and will be repackaged in the future to generate dwindling sales. At the moment the Jackson catalogue will have demand across all his (6) albums, in time that will almost certainly end up on one album possibly two.

Elvis will continue to sell at a steady rate, the market for Elvis is not impacted by MJ or the Beatles. Will MJ or the Beatles be touring even when deceased?

I saw an interview with Paul McCartney recently.

He said they were trying to reach a new fan base - the younger generation who really are not aware of the Beatles and their music.

This was one of the reasons behind the new Beatles video game.

I'm sure all bases are being explored....and exploited!!! :P

KPM
09-09-2009, 09:25 PM

I agree with you Matt(y)
I read that in the US MJ has sold about 3 million albums since he died and is still selling-but who could not have seen this?
An "unnamed source" has told the LA TImes that MJ has sold about 9 million albums worldwide snce he died. Well Elvis sold huge for the year after his death-to the point of RCA contracting other labels to press Elvis records the Capital Records plant in Jacksonville Illinois (about 50 miles from where I live) produced Elvis albums for months for RCA. RCA says they could not keep track of the sales-but we have all heard the estimates of the amount sold after Elvis died.......and this is without instant Internet download sales-which are in MJs totals since he died, without 24/7 MTV. VH1 tributes, without cable news repeating the story ad nauseum since MJ died.

JDD
09-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I noticed on one hand people are always ticked at EPE for being "greedy" and coming up with tacky stuff with Elvis on it to sell but a lot of the same people are very concerned about him remaining the top selling Dead guy.

I believe that eventually he won't be the number one selling guy anymore, there are only so many times they can repackage the same stuff on CD and DVD and release it and sell it to us before everybody that wants it will have it . I'm not telling people what to talk about here, but I am sort of curious why anybody really cares . If he's your favorite, why does it matter if Michael Jackson or the Beatles sell more?
There will always be Elvis out there, Graceland isn't going anywhere he's not going to fade. Buddy Holly hasn't and he's been going a lot longer then Elvis. The still line up to tour President Lincolns home .

Tommy
09-09-2009, 10:05 PM
And a hundred years from now.......................

GIORGIA
09-09-2009, 10:18 PM

Elvis will be fine.

I totally Agree with you(y)!
I LOVE YOU MY LOVE ELVIS!
AND ALWAYS BE!

Brian
09-09-2009, 10:54 PM

The Beatles are already ahead of Elvis in record sales according to the RIAA and they will always stay ahead of him.
They've been ahead of him since 1999 and many Beatle fans feel they have outsold Elvis worldwide as well.

Michael Jackson will surpass Elvis this year in the top earning dead celebrities but I think Elvis will take back the top spot after that.

Lennon will not surpass Elvis the Beatles and John Lennon are counted separately.

Elvis label will keep on doing what they've always done repackage Christmas, greatest hits, love song and gospel compilations for the billionth time.

That will probably result in some more gold records for Elvis down the road but nothing else.

I've made peace with this

Brian
09-09-2009, 11:25 PM
why anybody really cares . If he's your favorite, why does it matter if Michael Jackson or the Beatles sell more?
There will always be Elvis out there, Graceland isn't going anywhere he's not going to fade. Buddy Holly hasn't and he's been going a lot longer then Elvis. The still line up to tour President Lincolns home .

It matters

Think about this

If Michael Jackson hadn't of had the huge success as a solo artist in the
1980's and if Thriller wasn't the biggest album ever.
Michael Jackson would be ex-child star of the Jackson 5 dead at 50.

He'd be like Donny Osmond

If the Beatles hadn't of sold as many records as they did they'd be remembered like Gerry and Pacemakers or the Searchers.

If Elvis hadn't of had as many hits as he did or sold as many records as he did he'd be remembered like Little Richard, Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis

A 50's rock n' roll pioneer and nothing else

The perception of all 3 would be lesser if they hadn't of sold the records they did.

Buddy Holly isn't really remembered if you are under 45 most people probably wouldn't of even heard him.

Those that do remember Buddy Holly remember him as a 50's rock n' roll pioneer with lots of lost potential.

JDD
09-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Brian I don't believe that if he isn't number one now in death it'll make that much difference , this place won't dry up, Graceland won't close. If he's 3rd
this year and 3rd next its just not going to make that big a difference and sooner or later its going to happen .

Brian
09-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Brian I don't believe that if he isn't number one now in death it'll make that much difference , this place won't dry up, Graceland won't close. If he's 3rd
this year and 3rd next its just not going to make that big a difference and sooner or later its going to happen .

oh

all you care about is Graceland closing or not.

debtdbruno
09-10-2009, 12:36 PM
It matters

Think about this

If Michael Jackson hadn't of had the huge success as a solo artist in the
1980's and if Thriller wasn't the biggest album ever.
Michael Jackson would be ex-child star of the Jackson 5 dead at 50.

He'd be like Donny Osmond

If the Beatles hadn't of sold as many records as they did they'd be remembered like Gerry and Pacemakers or the Searchers.

If Elvis hadn't of had as many hits as he did or sold as many records as he did he'd be remembered like Little Richard, Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis

A 50's rock n' roll pioneer and nothing else

The perception of all 3 would be lesser if they hadn't of sold the records they did.

Buddy Holly isn't really remembered if you are under 45 most people probably wouldn't of even heard him.

Those that do remember Buddy Holly remember him as a 50's rock n' roll pioneer with lots of lost potential.

I might not agree with you on the Colonel, but I do this
:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

TCB4ELVIS
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
The difference today is, Internet Orders, iTunes at your finger tips. You don't even have to leave your house. Just download the music by using your credit card. What makes Elvis so amazing is that, he was able to sell as much as he did, without modern technology.

So yeah, surpass Elvis but you really can't compare what happens today to what happened over 30 years ago. That's not even mentioning all the babies from the baby boomer decade are buying music now on iTunes.

The same thing happened when John Lennon another great Universal Icon died. Isn't the Beatles on a different category being that they are a band with four members while Elvis & Micheal are one? The Beatles just covered so much ground work with their music in the short time they were together. Respect is rightfully owed to them.

3 things I always consider when I hear statements like this.

1-There is now Easier access to music,advertising and marketing to everyone via Internet and downloading it in a flash.
2- Music lovers Population increase, at least two new generations of music purchasers,
3-Longevity: It's not over yet, Elvis just covered a lot more ground with his wide range of different styles and maturing progress of his music. It speaks to people of all ages. Micheal had great Motown songs and some great dance LPs but over all, the average person can't relate to him. Elvis' life in music and from what we know of his home life, speaks to every man. Not to disrespect MJ or his fans but, wait till the shock of Micheal's dying passes and then we'll see who's on top.

JDD
09-10-2009, 07:53 PM
oh

all you care about is Graceland closing or not.

First of all Brian I'm not one of the people you argue with on here all the time and I won't be either.

Second I Never said that it was "all I care about" . Is all you care about is that Number one dead ranking? I doubt it . I said it really isn't that big a deal if Elvis is the number one selling dead artist, that I never understood why it mattered so much to some and I asked why it matters so much to the TCB world posters.

Elvis is really a genre all by himself. His social and historical significance is already established its written its done. He even withstood the scandal in death that he feared so much of the drugs coming out and being known public and still he remained a star. He became the first really huge star of the Rock n Roll era. The biggest star of the 1950s, a huge box office draw in the movies, its already done. He's already accomplished more then most ever could and did it in a time when it wasn't as easy to get out there to the people as it is today.

He continues to draw a crowd at Graceland every year and and most of those people will come no matter if he's number one or Number three (as he'll probably be this year) ,They don't come for the love of architecture. I've actually seen people go there not being fans and leave saying they get it now. That'll always happen now, but He won't always be the number one selling dead artist . To me, that doesn't matter ,as you said earlier "I made my peace" with that. I just wanted to know why it matters to others. Still do, because number one selling officially or not, his accomplishments already stand. He's an icon, most artists don't get to be Icons.

You have a good day.

Brian
09-10-2009, 09:08 PM
First of all Brian I'm not one of the people you argue with on here all the time and I won't be either.

Second I Never said that it was "all I care about" . Is all you care about is that Number one dead ranking? I doubt it . I said it really isn't that big a deal if Elvis is the number one selling dead artist, that I never understood why it mattered so much to some and I asked why it matters so much to the TCB world posters.

Elvis is really a genre all by himself. His social and historical significance is already established its written its done. He even withstood the scandal in death that he feared so much of the drugs coming out and being known public and still he remained a star. He became the first really huge star of the Rock n Roll era. The biggest star of the 1950s, a huge box office draw in the movies, its already done. He's already accomplished more then most ever could and did it in a time when it wasn't as easy to get out there to the people as it is today.

He continues to draw a crowd at Graceland every year and and most of those people will come no matter if he's number one or Number three (as he'll probably be this year) ,They don't come for the love of architecture. I've actually seen people go there not being fans and leave saying they get it now. That'll always happen now, but He won't always be the number one selling dead artist . To me, that doesn't matter ,as you said earlier "I made my peace" with that. I just wanted to know why it matters to others. Still do, because number one selling officially or not, his accomplishments already stand. He's an icon, most artists don't get to be Icons.

You have a good day.

I'm discussing i'm not arguing with anyone

I was speaking specifically about record sales not the dead ranking.

The dead ranking and other things matter to other fans because they want Elvis to be #1 in everything

As for record sales
it matters if Elvis surpassed the Beatles and Garth Brooks i'll get to shove it in their faces and it would get Elvis more recognition and in the news again for accomplishing something.

None of Elvis other accomplishments would matter if he wasn't as popular or sold as many records.

and he would just be like all the other 50's rock n' rollers if not for all the other accomplishments.

He would be part of a group instead of a stand alone icon.

Junebug
09-10-2009, 09:34 PM

You have a good day.

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

TCB4ELVIS
09-10-2009, 11:16 PM

You have a good day.

VERY WELL SAID, JDD!!! (y)(y)(y)

franny
09-11-2009, 12:57 AM

You have a good day.

Fantastic post, Jim. :notworthy :notworthy:notworthy

franny

GIORGIA
09-11-2009, 05:22 PM

You have a good day.
Beautiful Post Jdd!
I Don't Care too if Elvis is Number One(But In My Heart is Always Be:blush:!)or is Number three!
Because for Me Elvis is Elvis!
Not Matter What!
Is Still For Me(Of course for all of us)The Number One!
And Always Be!
As a Person and Artist!
I Love You Elvis!
And Always Be!

Jumpsuit Junkie
09-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I saw an interview with Paul McCartney recently.

He said they were trying to reach a new fan base - the younger generation who really are not aware of the Beatles and their music.

This was one of the reasons behind the new Beatles video game.

I'm sure all bases are being explored....and exploited!!! :P

There's no doubt about that, if a label thinks it can make money it will repackage and be ****ed!

You have a good day.

100% agreed, I don't care if Elvis is 3rd or 4th, to be perfectly honest It's a done deal 30 years on. As you have already pointed out, the legacy stands even if no other record is sold.

The media as a whole has come to an understanding with the Elvis legacy and in the main they have settled for a positive Image. Simon Cowell (X Factor and Pop Idol) has used the 68 Elvis Image to represent Elvis' peak.

The Beatles are a done deal, it is almost 40 years since they were a band.. little more can be added to change their Image. On the other hand time has yet to settle on the Jackson legacy, will he be in the same league as Elvis or the Beatles.......?

KPM
09-12-2009, 03:32 AM
The Beatles are already ahead of Elvis in record sales according to the RIAA and they will always stay ahead of him.
They've been ahead of him since 1999 and many Beatle fans feel they have outsold Elvis worldwide as well.

Michael Jackson will surpass Elvis this year in the top earning dead celebrities but I think Elvis will take back the top spot after that.

Lennon will not surpass Elvis the Beatles and John Lennon are counted separately.

Elvis label will keep on doing what they've always done repackage Christmas, greatest hits, love song and gospel compilations for the billionth time.

That will probably result in some more gold records for Elvis down the road but nothing else.

I've made peace with this
Lets clarify this-they are ahead in "certified album sales"-not in total record sales.
Total record sales would be including all albums, singles, eps, 8 tracks, cassettes. cds ever sold in the US-but RIAAs totals only include certified album sales-and Elvis has many many more millions of uncertified album sales from the continued repackaging and reissuing of his work. If they would include all sales of albums-Elvis would be ahead.
Garth Brooks acknowledged this in an interview on the defunct Nashville network when he first passed Elvis in album sales.
These sales are investigated in the article "For the Billionth and the last time" the link has been posted several times so I wont repost it. But its very convincing and this guy researched it to the hilt (and still is he updated this article in May of 2009)
So do not be fooled-there is a difference between most certified sales and total sales.

Genie
09-12-2009, 04:23 AM

I sincerely feel todays youth is screwed up royal.... we thought (or our parents did) that Elvis was "Vulgar" and of course that is trash talk. Elvis was sexy, hamndsome and talented, he stood out in a crowd, it was amazing to look at the photo's of him with his friends, they disapeared before your eyes, because no one on earth was as handsome as Elvis!
A lot of cutie pies, a lot of big names, but ONE ELVIS..has never been anything like him on earth. As MJ was a whole different crowd pleaser.
And some of the best and very handsome opera stars, again, different completely..... So, Elvis will be #1 for all eternity...it's kinda like The Roman empire, the King.... and after all that... king tut's tomb...LOL

Brian
09-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Lets clarify this-they are ahead in "certified album sales"-not in total record sales.
Total record sales would be including all albums, singles, eps, 8 tracks, cassettes. cds ever sold in the US-but RIAAs totals only include certified album sales-and Elvis has many many more millions of uncertified album sales from the continued repackaging and reissuing of his work. If they would include all sales of albums-Elvis would be ahead.
Garth Brooks acknowledged this in an interview on the defunct Nashville network when he first passed Elvis in album sales.
These sales are investigated in the article "For the Billionth and the last time" the link has been posted several times so I wont repost it. But its very convincing and this guy researched it to the hilt (and still is he updated this article in May of 2009)
So do not be fooled-there is a difference between most certified sales and total sales.

Try telling this to any Beatle fan

They all claim that the Beatles have sold more records worldwide or just in the States even if you count everything.

A lot of people actually believe the Beatles have outsold Elvis.
You probably already knew this.

Nicole Presley
09-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I totally agree, Im just saying, the only way Elvis will gain new fans is if he is appreciated by new generations. Im 21 and i got into Elvis around the 25th anniversary because of all the new respect Elvis gained around that time, with remixes etc.

But will new generations appreciate him if he 'over-shadowed' by MJ and the beatles?

I donīt worry if he will get new fans. He will always get new fans. And not just because of remixes. Iīm sure there will always be young girl that see him somewhere (on tv) and then fall in love with him. And if I should ever have children, I will try to make them Elvis fans, too. :D No, thatīs just a joke.

tilchkitten
09-13-2009, 07:43 AM
What I'm worried about is that TV networks will quit showing Elvis movies. When I was 6 back in 1985 when I 1st got turned on to Elvis. Elvis was on for a whole week in Aug. on at least 3 to 4 channels. Now in my area during Elvis week only one channel plays Elvis for one day Aug. 16th. That channel was TCM. If it wasn't for me seeing Elvis on TV I wouldn't of known who he was. Elvis used to be mention in contry songs or even in the bevis and butt head video game. But his name isn't mention that much anymore. I believe EPE needs to bring his image out of the gutter and make a movie like the estates of Ray Charles and Johnny Cash did or even a video game to bring him to a broader younger audience. I have asked normal teenagers with no Elvis influence what they thought of Elvis and they reply unfortunately He's the fat guy in the jumpsuit that died on the toilet. He isn't mainstream any more people face it. After everyone that's seen him live or knows him dies then what? I'm 30 yrs old never seen Elvis live. I've seen Elvis the Concert not the same but still exciting. I have been worrying about this a lot recently with MJ dying and the Beatles coming out with a video game. Any body else notice that Elvis is slowly slipping out of the mainstream or are we blinded by the fandom?

Pacerstar
09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
What I'm worried about is that TV networks will quit showing Elvis movies. When I was 6 back in 1985 when I 1st got turned on to Elvis. Elvis was on for a whole week in Aug. on at least 3 to 4 channels. Now in my area during Elvis week only one channel plays Elvis for one day Aug. 16th. That channel was TCM. If it wasn't for me seeing Elvis on TV I wouldn't of known who he was. Elvis used to be mention in contry songs or even in the bevis and butt head video game. But his name isn't mention that much anymore. I believe EPE needs to bring his image out of the gutter and make a movie like the estates of Ray Charles and Johnny Cash did or even a video game to bring him to a broader younger audience. I have asked normal teenagers with no Elvis influence what they thought of Elvis and they reply unfortunately He's the fat guy in the jumpsuit that died on the toilet. He isn't mainstream any more people face it. After everyone that's seen him live or knows him dies then what? I'm 30 yrs old never seen Elvis live. I've seen Elvis the Concert not the same but still exciting. I have been worrying about this a lot recently with MJ dying and the Beatles coming out with a video game. Any body else notice that Elvis is slowly slipping out of the mainstream or are we blinded by the fandom?

I agree with you to certain extent. I, too, have noticed that the tv does
not devote as much time to Elvis as it did in the past. And, I have also noticed that in January and August there are not the magazines that used
to be published solely about Elvis on the newsstands. I miss these. There
are not so many programs now about Elvis on the tv, etc. But, I don't think
that means that other young people will not have the opportunity to become
Elvis fans. Elvis is so much a trademark in so much of our lives today. Hardly
a day goes by that I don't hear or see mention of Elvis sometime, somewhere.
I think the young are a curious group and I think that they will keep wanting
to know about this man, Elvis, enough to find his music and learn enough
about him to want to be fans. I also think that future generations will be
readidng about Elvis Presley in their history books. I hope anyway!:D:D:D:D

debtdbruno
09-13-2009, 06:01 PM
I sincerely feel todays youth is screwed up royal.... we thought (or our parents did) that Elvis was "Vulgar" and of course that is trash talk. Elvis was sexy, hamndsome and talented, he stood out in a crowd, it was amazing to look at the photo's of him with his friends, they disapeared before your eyes, because no one on earth was as handsome as Elvis!
A lot of cutie pies, a lot of big names, but ONE ELVIS..has never been anything like him on earth. As MJ was a whole different crowd pleaser.
And some of the best and very handsome opera stars, again, different completely..... So, Elvis will be #1 for all eternity...it's kinda like The Roman empire, the King.... and after all that... king tut's tomb...LOL

Great post:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notwo rthy

Deb

KPM
09-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Try telling this to any Beatle fan

They all claim that the Beatles have sold more records worldwide or just in the States even if you count everything.

A lot of people actually believe the Beatles have outsold Elvis.
You probably already knew this.
Its funny most Beatle fans I know personally, and have encountered on the Internet-most are quite respectful of Elvis and his accomplishments-they are willing to acknowledge he may indeed be the top record seller in the US and the world when all is taken into account. They see it is hard to disregard all the countless reissues which may only sell as little as a couple hundred thousand but in total they represent millions of sales- things such as Elvis not being given proper credit for his double albums, (because of a technicality on time) and various other things which do not allow and accurate sales total for Elvis in the US alone.
I have read that years back BMG/RCA/now Sony-presented evidence of Elvis total uncertified sales to RIAA but the RIAA will not comment on anything which is not certified by their rules. In other words the sales are real-but do not count until each respective reissue or repackaged album reachs RIAA certified goals. Uncertified is somehow taken to mean-no sales-and this is just not so. Elvis's reissues as in the hundreds, his Christmas music is packaged in numerous combinations, covers and title tracks-each season the newest sell a couple hundred thousand at least, and the others from previous years still sell-not to mention the original 2 Christmas albums still sell. Yet do those documented sales get recognition-not unless each individual reaches a certifiable total-yet all together in the holiday season they may sell between a million to 2 million. Reasonable people acknowledge all this.

Of course there are the ones who just hate Elvis and any comparison of him to the Beatles-but they are few and far between in my experience.
Now MJ fans are not nearly as respectful nor willing to listen to anything which does not support their ideas about MJ and his place in the realm of things.

Silenz
09-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Well Michael will be the one selling most the coming years but in the long run it will even out. ELVIS P enterprise should consider to talk to Warner to finally remaster and give out Elvis On Tour on DVD and BLURAY!!!
I belive Elvis will stay The King of Kings in the long run and Michael as a very close second place. Michael was a loving person and did a bunch of awesome music so his is a worthy King to only surpassed by EP.
Anyway i saw MJ in Gothenburg Sweden 1997 when he was doing his History tour and he is the younger generations Elvis. I stod at first place maybe 10 meters from him!!!
Soon the This is it will be at the movies insteed of a concert and here you can see the very new trailer for the upcoming film http://thisisit-movie.com/

KPM
09-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Well Michael will be the one selling most the coming years but in the long run it will even out. ELVIS P enterprise should consider to talk to Warner to finally remaster and give out Elvis On Tour on DVD and BLURAY!!!
I belive Elvis will stay The King of Kings in the long run and Michael as a very close second place. Michael was a loving person and did a bunch of awesome music so his is a worthy King to only surpassed by EP.
Anyway i saw MJ in Gothenburg Sweden 1997 when he was doing his History tour and he is the younger generations Elvis. I stod at first place maybe 10 meters from him!!!
Soon the This is it will be at the movies insteed of a concert and here you can see the very new trailer for the upcoming film http://thisisit-movie.com/
Michael was very talented-could be brilliant-but the one thing which always bothered me was when he seemed to get obsessed with things like "the King of Pop" title, and his own publicity machine which ran rampant with hype and self promotion. From the books I have he seemed over worried about his place as a king-Elvis on the other hand never asked not recommended the title King of Rock. I'm sure he was flattered-but he had a much more modest look at it. IMO

Silenz
09-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Michael was very talented-could be brilliant-but the one thing which always bothered me was when he seemed to get obsessed with things like "the King of Pop" title, and his own publicity machine which ran rampant with hype and self promotion. From the books I have he seemed over worried about his place as a king-Elvis on the other hand never asked not recommended the title King of Rock. I'm sure he was flattered-but he had a much more modest look at it. IMO
I thinl the tabloids where way to hard on Mj and maked him look more wierd then he really was. As i have learned Micheal did not himself started the King of Pop thing. It was Elisabet Taylor that called him that in an interveiv first time. Any Song like Heal the world Man in the Mirror,Earth song and many many more is just great and says alot. Mj himself wanted people to hear th song Childhood when he sings about hes life. Tabloid junkie is another song that he sings about the media and the way they did lie about him to sell more.

Here is an outake from Tabloid junkie song that he sang nad wrote

It's slander
You say it's not a sword
But with your pen you torture men
You'd crucify the Lord
And you don't have to read it
And you don't have to eat it
To buy it is to feed it
Then why do we keep foolin' ourselves

Chorus:
Just because you read it in a magazine
Or see it on the TV screen
Don't make it factual
Though everybody wants to read all about it
Just because you read it in a magazine
Or see it on the TV screen
Don't make it factual, actual

KPM
09-15-2009, 09:38 PM
I thinl the tabloids where way to hard on Mj and maked him look more wierd then he really was. As i have learned Micheal did not himself started the King of Pop thing. It was Elisabet Taylor that called him that in an interveiv first time. Any Song like Heal the world Man in the Mirror,Earth song and many many more is just great and says alot. Mj himself wanted people to hear th song Childhood when he sings about hes life. Tabloid junkie is another song that he sings about the media and the way they did lie about him to sell more.
ELVIS IS THE KING:notworthy
Well lets face it-he did encourage some of it-he thought it was good publicity-such as the picture of him in the oxygen chamber, or wanting to buy the Elephant Mans bones-he wanted the publicity.
Unfortunately it just made him look odd-and that always hurts.
Like I said he was a super talent, and he had his own demons to fight.

debtdbruno
09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Well said again Ken

Silenz
09-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Well lets face it-he did encourage some of it-he thought it was good publicity-such as the picture of him in the oxygen chamber, or wanting to buy the Elephant Mans bones-he wanted the publicity.
Unfortunately it just made him look odd-and that always hurts.
Like I said he was a super talent, and he had his own demons to fight.
Ur right BUT media was more then hard on him. There was so much shit they wrote about him. In my opinion it should be criminal. I mean how much can one man take and how do you defend ur self against it?

KPM
09-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Ur right BUT media was more then hard on him. There was so much shit they wrote about him. In my opinion it should be criminal. I mean how much can one man take and how do you defend ur self against it?

I guess it comes with being a superstar-I mean look at the story in one of the rag magazines in the 50s that Elvis shot his mother???? Nonsense but it sold magazines.
Plus superstars should avoid giving them any ammo to write about- which can be made to look worse. If there any truth at all to a rumor-they will go after it with a passion and they probably always will.