PDA

View Full Version : Showroom Internationale 1971 - the boxed set

Getlo
08-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Got my copy yesterday.

It's great. The shows are in stereo this time, unlike the balls-up with the TTWII The Complete Works project. Sound isn't perfect, of course, but very listenable. The second show includes a bit of By The Time I Get To Phoenix (with I Got A Woman) which is a nice touch.

The shows:
January 29th (midnight) - previously released as Lean, Mean and Kickin' Butt, but this time complete and in better sound;
February 23rd (dinner) - previously unreleased.

And both are great!

The set the same format as the TTWII set, so they look great together on your shelf.

The hardcover book has the CDs in the back cover, this time with proper CD holders and not those stupid foam doodads from the TTWII set.

The book is well-written, but again sadly marred by a couple of typos - why don't people check these things?!!

And the photos? Magnificent, and worth the price of admission alone! There's even a rare colour shot of Elvis on stage wearing the white Cisco Kid with black yokes. Can't recall seeing it before. Shown below.

But two photos - of the red and green Ciscos at Graceland - are slightly out of focus; obviously taken by a fan without a too-decent camera. Luckily these two pics are quite small, and you'd have to be really anal-retentive to be put off by them (ahem ;))

There's probably every single picture we've ever seen (and some unseen) of the rare Now suit as well.

Get this set - if you can - and celebrate the forgotten Elvis year of the 70s!

franny
08-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Sounds great, Getlo. Where can one get this set from?

franny

Getlo
08-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Sounds great, Getlo. Where can one get this set from?

Er, your local bootleg dealer?

Try typing it in Google, you might be led to a seller.

franny
08-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Er, your local bootleg dealer?

Try typing it in Google, you might be led to a seller.

Thanks.

franny

my boy
08-29-2009, 07:48 AM
The first disc blows me away–I never had the opportunity to hear Lean ,Mean,& Kickin Butt before so it was quite a surprise! First of all James Burton's guitar is simply on-fire! It's one of the best soundboards I've heard!

Elvis is on great form highlights include: "That's All Right Mama," "Polk Salad Annie," "Johnny B. Goode," – An incendiary solo in "Heartbreak Hotel;" stinging leads on Hound Dog; and a brilliant "One Night," plus the awesome "Impossible Dream" to close.

CD-2 is a fine show only let down by the lack of Burton's guitar! The book truly is awesome by the star of the show is disc 1(y)(y)

Jungleroom76
08-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks again for the detailed review Getlo!!! (y)

Now if only I can track one down... :doh: ;)

TCB!
Mike

elvislady
08-30-2009, 12:21 AM
This is a stunning box set,
This is the last major release from the International label and the fabulous box set release has only a limited edition run of 999 copies.

elvislady:doh::doh:

KPM
08-30-2009, 01:48 AM
I have seen a few clips of some 1971 shows and it seems like it was THE YEAR to see Elvis. Everything seemed to be together, the sound, his look, his performances all top notch.

debtdbruno
08-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I love the book, havn't had chance to listen to the c.d.'s yet.
Like Getlo said..........looks good on the shelf next to the TTWII set!!!!

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-30-2009, 12:55 PM
And the photos? Magnificent, and worth the price of admission alone! There's even a rare colour shot of Elvis on stage wearing the white Cisco Kid with black yokes. Can't recall seeing it before. Shown below.

There has been a discussion regarding this photo before :P

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=26556&highlight=white+cisco

Jungleroom76
08-31-2009, 10:35 PM
I have seen a few clips of some 1971 shows and it seems like it was THE YEAR to see Elvis. Everything seemed to be together, the sound, his look, his performances all top notch.

I think you are right for the most part Ken, but if I recall, he was sick during the Jan./Feb. '71 Vegas engagement (or at least part of it) and that is why some of those shows are quite short and fast paced with little interaction between Elvis and the audience. :hmm:

I think I am remembering this correctly...but by the year's end, shows such as the Boston show in November are highly regarded as some of his best!

TCB!
Mike