PDA

View Full Version : "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" the rarest Elvis song?

curtis simpkins
11-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Im So Lonesome I Could Cry.

Could this be rarest song Of Elvis, because i only did this song twice.

Lildarling
11-16-2004, 02:46 PM
What do you mean: you did it?performed?If so then why it's the rarest Elvis' song?

howardrobardhughes
11-16-2004, 03:20 PM
He performed it at least twice...Aloha rehearsal show and the actual Aloha telecast..
If you're rating the rarity of a song by the number of times Elvis performed it live...
then you'd have to say that "Where No One Stands Alone" 2/16/77..
and
Moody Blue 2/21/77
are RAREST...performed live only once in concert..

TCB
Wade

Sami
11-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Moody Blue one try out and one complete version. I'd say "Pieces of My Life" is quite rare.

Lonniebealestreet
11-16-2004, 03:54 PM
There are a number of songs which Elvis is thought to have only performed once in concert, Goodtime Charlie's Got The Blues being another. But I'm So Lonesome... is one which was released officially as a live version, not to be performed again (of course it was the day before)...if that is the case. :blink: So in that regard it could be considered more rare.

There is an awesome home recording of this song from November 1973--just Elvis and his guitar--in which he sings an additional verse. This performance, as with the others from the same occasion, was given a great understated vocal treatment by Elvis. Great stuff!

curtis simpkins
11-17-2004, 12:03 AM
What do you mean: you did it?performed?If so then why it's the rarest Elvis' song?

Sorry about that i meant Elvis not me. :mad:
i was getting sleepy last night when i wrote this.

curtis simpkins
11-17-2004, 12:04 AM
This could be a nice tittle for ftd cd.
elvis rarest song's live.

would you buy such an cd.

Lonniebealestreet
11-17-2004, 05:42 AM
You bet.

There are a couple of imports with a rare live track theme, but they feature mostly pretty rough audience recordings.

So an FTD along those lines, especially in soundboard quality, would certainly be a keeper.

Paulie1971
11-17-2004, 06:31 AM
I would most definately get such a CD.

I think that over the years quite a few of these rare performances have been released (un)officially ... I think we could already make quite a nice CD ourselves ... of course an FTD with improved sound would not be bad either!

curtis simpkins
11-17-2004, 07:06 AM
I know i'll get it myself.
i made a 90 mint tape with rare live tracks.

and now i have lost the tape of it :mad:.
it was a very good tape.
but a friend of mine has a copy that i made him, so i am thinking going over there and get it and put it on cdr.

or i can another tape or cd, but bad thing about that it, i don't have the boot
cds i had because i sold them years ago a long with my other good elvis cd's.

but now i am slowly getting back into buying elvis cds again, even boot cds.
if i can find any. ;)

Jungleroom76
11-17-2004, 11:20 PM
I have a CD entitled LIVE AND UNLEASHED containing many rare and unreleased live performances, including songs like WOODEN HEART, SUCH A NIGHT, YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL, (MARIE'S THE NAME) HIS LATEST FLAME, PIECES OF MY LIFE, SHAKE A HAND, SUZIE-Q, MEMPHIS TENNESSEE, RAISED ON ROCK, TROUBLE, amongst others. Of course the quality on this release varies from song to song, depending on the original source of the recording.

But if FTD were to release something along these lines, I would certainly welcome it! Although I am a complete concert fan first and foremost, I realize that RCA didn't record every single Elvis concert in its entirety, so a compilation of rare live performances would probably be the most logical way, in FTD's eyes, to release these type of rare live performances!!!

TCB!
Mike

curtis simpkins
11-18-2004, 04:39 AM
It would be nice if they did. :D

Mr. Songman
11-18-2004, 05:47 AM
He performed it at least twice...Aloha rehearsal show and the actual Aloha telecast..
If you're rating the rarity of a song by the number of times Elvis performed it live...
then you'd have to say that "Where No One Stands Alone" 2/16/77..
and
Moody Blue 2/21/77
are RAREST...performed live only once in concert..

Let's not forget You Can Have Her from 5/11/74 and You're The Reason I'm Living from 3/22/75

Jungleroom76
11-25-2004, 12:30 AM
It would be nice if they did. :D

RIGHT ON CURTIS!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Stefan Kock
11-30-2004, 05:07 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Elvis performed I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry also during the opening night show in Vegas on January 26th 1973 and during the dinner show on February 15th. This last version even included a verse that was left out of the Aloha performances and could be considered even more rare than the Hawaii performances of the song.

Lonniebealestreet
11-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Great info, Stefan--thanks!

veronik
11-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Im So Lonesome I Could Cry.

Could this be rarest song Of Elvis, because i only did this song twice.

What do you mean by:you did the song twice?I think rare would be:"I wanna be free":)

Stefan Kock
11-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Great info, Stefan--thanks!

Always welcome Bobby :D

Have checked it, Elvis indeed performed ISLICC during the January 26th 1973 OS which is available on (terrible sounding) audiance recording. The Feb. 15th show is available on bootleg as "Las Vegas Dinner Show" and features the show where Elvis left the stage for about 20 minutes due to serious throat problems (which is very audible during the performance as he almost hasn't got a voice at all in parts).

quinn53
12-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Lonnie, I would love to hear the 11/73 version of Elvis doing "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry "on guitar. This is one of my favorite songs and I play it as well but it is so hard for me to sing it.
Also, wouldn't you consider "If I Can Dream" one of his rarest songs. Did he ever perform it again after the 68 special?

Lonniebealestreet
12-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the follow-up info, Stefan. (y)

Quinn, You can hear it here (http://jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/private/privatekingimp.htm). If I Can Dream was not performed after the special, to my knowledge. But I am not an authority on that sort of thing. It's indeed a rare one!

quinn53
12-11-2004, 05:47 AM
thanks bobby, i'm at work and the link didn't work. i will try it at home. geez, i'm excited :clap:

Stefan Kock
12-11-2004, 07:55 PM
. If I Can Dream was not performed after the special, to my knowledge. But I am not an authority on that sort of thing. It's indeed a rare one!

If I Can Dream was indeed never performed after the '68 special. However, Elvis does a one-liner during the August 1st 1971 MS in Lake Tahoe and the song was requested (not sung though) during the August 18th 1975 opening Vegas show.

richardo316
12-12-2004, 12:11 AM
elvis did proform the song at his las vegas opening opening night jan. 26 1973.your the reason im living was olso done only once.

IM4Elvis
05-23-2005, 07:58 PM
While "If I Can Dream" is one of the greatest songs Elvis ever recorded, he did not perform it before a "live" audience. It was taped in the studio and on the original vinal pressing the audience response was overdubbed.

"Danny Boy" is a song which Elvis performed only once (I believe), June 1, 1976, in Tuscon (see FTD release, "Tuscon '76).

If I'm not mistaken Elvis also performed "Talk About the Good Times" one time in Lake Tahoe in late May 1974.

IM

Lonniebealestreet
05-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Lonnie, I would love to hear the 11/73 version of Elvis doing "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry "on guitar. This is one of my favorite songs...
Quinn and others,

Now that this performance has been released officially on the Elvis By The Presleys CD, what do you think of it?

geordie
12-30-2005, 12:35 PM
There are a number of songs which Elvis is thought to have only performed once in concert, Goodtime Charlie's Got The Blues being another. But I'm So Lonesome... is one which was released officially as a live version, not to be performed again (of course it was the day before)...if that is the case. :blink: So in that regard it could be considered more rare.

There is an awesome home recording of this song from November 1973--just Elvis and his guitar--in which he sings an additional verse. This performance, as with the others from the same occasion, was given a great understated vocal treatment by Elvis. Great stuff!
do you know how we can get these recordings lonnie? i would love to own them myself:cool:

elvis fan 1976
12-31-2005, 05:30 AM
Auld lang Syne is a rare song to he only performed it twice. 12/31/75, 12/31/76.

boogie
12-31-2005, 07:19 AM
"you'll never walk alone" from 1975, think it was the only time....:cool:

boogie
12-31-2005, 07:20 AM
wooden heart, 2 times in 75 ???

:happy_ny::happy_ny::happy_ny::happy_ny:

Lonniebealestreet
12-31-2005, 10:42 PM
geordie, if you're referring to the Nov. '73 home recordings, they can be heard on various boots such as A Private Moment With The King and Songs To Sing.

You can listen to the former on Jordan's Elvis World (Elvis Library-->Real Audio Library).

Hope this helps.

geordie
01-01-2006, 09:16 AM
thanks mate:D

ill go there now:cool:

orwell1976
01-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Here are some songs that Elvis only sang one or two times on stage:

01) Moody Blue (Feb. 77)
02) Snowbird (Jan/Feb. 71)
03) Crying In The Chapel (Aug. 75)
04) Loving You (Aug. 75/May 76)
05) Rags To Riches (Dec. 76)
06) You Can Have Her (May 74)
07) You'll Never Walk Alone (Jul. 75)
08) I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Jan./Feb. 73)

Elvis performed the last mentioned song a few times during his Jan/Feb. engagement at the Hilton in Las Vegas.