PDA

View Full Version : My friend's review of her trip to Graceland

italianfan
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
This is a review she wrote on her facebook about her day at graceland, id like to mentions shes 20. Just shows the younger generation are being drawn there too.

So this weekend we visited Graceland - the home of Elvis! It was amazing!! It was so interesting - we visited his car museum - ridiculous number of cars, but all very nice! His aeroplane - Lisa Marie, very nice too. We also went to his mansion which I thought was too small to be called a mansion but everything inside was very nice - he had a basement and you had to go down a staircacse covered in mirrors - very odd and down there he had 2 seperate room, one with a pool table and the other with a bar and 3 tvs . He also had a 15ft sofa and various other huge items. Nice dining room etc. We weren't allowed into his bedroom 'out of respect' but we could view his parent's. He had a firing range in an outhouse. He had a jungle room to hang out in and various other rooms. Outside he had a horse barn and field. Then you would walk into his hall of gold - with hundreds, probably thousands of gold and platinum awards which was amazing and some movie awards and then awards and 'thankyous' for being so generous with his money. There were some clothes from his movies in there too, and his and his wife's wedding outfits. Also, did you know he had a still born twin? Then you walked through his raquetball house where he had a court built because he loved playing, and you were able to see hundreds more awards and stage outfits and a video or him on stage. Also heard accounts of lisa marie about her dad. Then you walked through the memorial grounds where he, his twin, his dad, mum and grandma were buried - very nice, it had a fountain and thousands of flowers etc. Then we were able to visit a museum about his stint in the war and also a walk-through movie thing with lots of outfits and props etc.

Overall, it was pretty amazing!

epmoodyblue
07-12-2009, 04:55 PM
cool molto bene..grazie for the review..glad she had a great time(y):D i plan to visit graceland -next year in julyhttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gif

elvislady
07-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the update i hope to go really soon!
elvislady:D:D

john carpenter
07-12-2009, 05:52 PM
This is a review she wrote on her facebook about her day at graceland, id like to mentions shes 20. Just shows the younger generation are being drawn there too.

So this weekend we visited Graceland - the home of Elvis! It was amazing!! It was so interesting - we visited his car museum - ridiculous number of cars, but all very nice! His aeroplane - Lisa Marie, very nice too. We also went to his mansion which I thought was too small to be called a mansion but everything inside was very nice - he had a basement and you had to go down a staircacse covered in mirrors - very odd and down there he had 2 seperate room, one with a pool table and the other with a bar and 3 tvs . He also had a 15ft sofa and various other huge items. Nice dining room etc. We weren't allowed into his bedroom 'out of respect' but we could view his parent's. He had a firing range in an outhouse. He had a jungle room to hang out in and various other rooms. Outside he had a horse barn and field. Then you would walk into his hall of gold - with hundreds, probably thousands of gold and platinum awards which was amazing and some movie awards and then awards and 'thankyous' for being so generous with his money. There were some clothes from his movies in there too, and his and his wife's wedding outfits. Also, did you know he had a still born twin? Then you walked through his raquetball house where he had a court built because he loved playing, and you were able to see hundreds more awards and stage outfits and a video or him on stage. Also heard accounts of lisa marie about her dad. Then you walked through the memorial grounds where he, his twin, his dad, mum and grandma were buried - very nice, it had a fountain and thousands of flowers etc. Then we were able to visit a museum about his stint in the war and also a walk-through movie thing with lots of outfits and props etc.

Overall, it was pretty amazing! I agree about the size of Graceland. I was amazed that the "Mansion" was tiny compaired to most celebritity homes. Great review though..it is nice to see the younger generation appreciates Elvis(y)

Pacerstar
07-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I agree about the size of Graceland. I was amazed that the "Mansion" was tiny compaired to most celebritity homes. Great review though..it is nice to see the younger generation appreciates Elvis(y)

On my trip to Gaceland, I found everything just as I expected it to be - Elvis'
home. I have heard that Elvis never referred to Graceland as a "mansion". I
had read so much about it and I was prepared for it not to be so large. I recall going through FDR's home in New York years ago and I was amazed
that it was so small! From memory, I'd say, it was no bigger than Graceland.
I recall very small rooms there.;);););)

Jungleroom76
07-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree about the size of Graceland. I was amazed that the "Mansion" was tiny compaired to most celebritity homes. Great review though..it is nice to see the younger generation appreciates Elvis(y)

That was the first thing I thought as well when I went to Graceland for the first time. But you have to keep in mind that Graceland was a mansion 30 years ago! With the sprawling mansions that most celebrities buy now-a-days, Graceland does pale in comparison when you think of celebrity mansions!!!

But all of the mansions today pale in comparison to the legacy that came from within those Graceland walls!!! :hmm: ;)

TCB!
Mike

utmom2008
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
But you have to keep in mind that Graceland was a mansion 30 years ago! With the sprawling mansions that most celebrities buy now-a-days, Graceland does pale in comparison when you think of celebrity mansions!!!

TCB!
Mike

Actually, Graceland was a mansion more like 50 years ago. I was in LA in 1973(36 years ago) and there were plenty of mansions to go around. ;) :lol::lol:

TCB4ELVIS
07-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I long overdue for a trip to Graceland...last time I went it was 10 years ago.

May
07-12-2009, 09:27 PM

I guess it seems small compared to 'celeb's houses these days. But I suppose it seemed pretty huge back in the late fifties.

Jungleroom76
07-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Actually, Graceland was a mansion more like 50 years ago. I was in LA in 1973(36 years ago) and there were plenty of mansions to go around. ;) :lol::lol:

O.K. fine! 50 years ago! :P

Show off!!! ;) :lmfao:

TCB!
Mike

buttonhead
07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I long overdue for a trip to Graceland...last time I went it was 10 years ago.

You should come back soon , My favorite time there is by December, when graceland had all lights on the trees ... :newyear:

utmom2008
07-12-2009, 11:59 PM
O.K. fine! 50 years ago! :P

Show off!!! ;) :lmfao:

TCB!
Mike

Yeh, I was "showing off" my age! ;);):lol::lol::lol:

Jungleroom76
07-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeh, I was "showing off" my age! ;);):lol::lol::lol:

Well, I didn't want to say WHAT you were showing off.... :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: ;)

TCB!
Mike

WaterMermaid
07-13-2009, 12:23 AM
You should come back soon , My favorite time there is by December, when graceland had all lights on the trees ... :newyear:

That's my favourite time too! I've been there twice (even though my mom grew up there and I still have family) once was in the sauna of July and then once for my birthday at Christmas! All covered in lights with the trees!

TCB4ELVIS
07-13-2009, 12:32 AM
does she have any pics to share, preferably the Jumpsuit display? ..lol;)

italianfan
07-13-2009, 12:36 AM
does she have any pics to share, preferably the Jumpsuit display?

Ill ask once she gets back, im sure she would have. I cant wait to see her, we're gonna have alot to talk about lol

TCB4ELVIS
07-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Ill ask once she gets back, im sure she would have. I cant wait to see her, we're gonna have alot to talk about lol

I bet you will. Wonder if they will every have an Elvis Museum on Tour all around the world. That would be great for fans that don't have a way to travel.

utmom2008
07-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Well, I didn't want to say WHAT you were showing off.... :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: ;)

TCB!
Mike

:mad::mad::mad:

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Elvis-Presley_1969-Vegas
07-13-2009, 09:23 AM
What we have to remember is that Graceland was only one of his homes. I bet the house in LA was alot bigger than Graceland!

debtdbruno
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
What we have to remember is that Graceland was only one of his homes. I bet the house in LA was alot bigger than Graceland!

Love your avator(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Elvis-Presley_1969-Vegas
07-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Love your avator(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Thank you very much mate! (y) lol

STUD
07-16-2009, 04:52 AM
My family and I are going to Memphis at the beginning of Elvis Week. Originally, we were going to go the week before to avoid the crowds, but my brother's work schedule has forced us to move it a week forward. We'll be there August 8, 9, and 10. I've always wanted to visit during Elvis Week, but I'm wary of the crowds. I'm sure some of you have been there during Elvis Week. Just how bad are the crowds?

Teddy
07-16-2009, 08:16 AM
The crowds are manageable during Elvis Week, even on the big anniversaries, but I think it takes some of the pleasure away from many activities.
I prefer to go when it's quieter. It makes an enormous difference to visiting Sun or Graceland, for instance.

For example, I was still able to get into Graceland without a prior booking on the 30th Anniversary (pretty much to the hour of Elvis's death) but only with a more expensive VIP ticket and it was still pretty crowded. 2 years previously I went in September and was in the house alone, so that felt like the special occasion!

Naturally, if you enjoy meeting other Elvis fans you'll enjoy Elvis Week.

utmom2008
07-16-2009, 08:49 PM
I prefer to go when it's quieter. It makes an enormous difference to visiting Sun or Graceland, for instance.

2 years previously I went in September and was in the house alone, so that felt like the special occasion!

I totally agree Teddy! It was crowded last week when Kim and I went up the first time. I love to catch the last bus going up for the day, there are so few there it's like you have the house to yourself. I think Kim really enjoyed that aspect of it too.

When I was there in March there was a time in the late afternoon when I was alone in the raquetball room AND the graves for about 15 minutes. I LOVED it! (y)

Pacerstar
07-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I was in Memphis is October. The weather was wonderful and it was not crowded at
Graceland. There was a nice number of people; but, this was when they still had
conducted tours and we were not rushed through at all.

utmom2008
07-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I was in Memphis is October. The weather was wonderful and it was not crowded at
Graceland. There was a nice number of people; but, this was when they still had
conducted tours and we were not rushed through at all.

I was there in October also...what do you mean by "conducted" tours? We did the Platinum tour, but I saw others with their headphones on just going at their own pace.

kathy parkinson
07-17-2009, 09:07 AM
My last visit was March 05, we were the only ones on the shuttle bus,and, the only ones in quite a few of the rooms, we also had plenty of time to look at everything, i enjoy Elvis Week very much, especially the candlelight service,and his birthday trips,but, going out of season was very magical.

Pacerstar
07-17-2009, 03:59 PM
I was there in October also...what do you mean by "conducted" tours? We did the Platinum tour, but I saw others with their headphones on just going at their own pace.

I was there in 1994, before they had the earphones. We went through the
house in groups with a live tour guide. We were supposed to stay together
as a group until we got to the Meditation Gardens.