PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Presley & 'MacArthur Park'

presley31
07-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Jimmy Webb the celebrated songwriter of such classics as MacArthur Park, Galveston, Wichita Lineman, Up, Up and Away, The Highwayman, and Didn't We recently talked about Elvis Presley's love for MacArthur Park and how the King came to not record the song.

'He loved MacArthur Park, Webb said of Presley. 'I don't say that to brag. It's been documented. I have a tape of him singing it'. 'At that time, though, I wanted to get a song done by Elvis Presley'.

'But as I was leaving after meeting with Elvis, (Presley's manager) Col. (Tom) Parker followed me to the door and said, 'I guess we won't be seeing you here again'. I said, 'Oh, really?'

Parker wanted only songs to which he could get full publishing rights, and as Webb said, 'I didn't need Elvis to record MacArthur Park. It was already a number one hit. Col. Parker was a crude man'.

2009/07/11 By Jeff Piorkowski - Sun News - www.elvis.com.au / www.epgold.com

franny
07-11-2009, 10:40 PM
It doesn't sound like too many people liked Col Parker lol...
Thanks, for posting Jen. :)

franny

Brian
07-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't believe this story

You have Elvis singing a part of this song during the 68 special after it had already been a hit for Richard Harris.
If Elvis wanted to record the song in the studio publishing wouldn't of been an issue.

utmom2008
07-11-2009, 10:49 PM
You have Elvis singing a part of this song during the 68 special after it had already been a hit for Richard Harris.

It sounds as though he is making fun of it with the few lines that he does sing......http://smiley.net.ru/entmus295.gif (http://smiley.net.ru/entmus9.htm)

presley31
07-11-2009, 11:02 PM
It doesn't sound like too many people liked Col Parker lol...
Thanks, for posting Jen. :)

franny

Your welcome franny.

hounddog
07-12-2009, 01:11 AM
I'd like to hear the tape, that would be great.

Brian
07-12-2009, 02:20 AM
I'd like to hear the tape, that would be great.

Jimmy Webb means he has Elvis singing a few lines of the song from the 68 special on tape.

Getlo
07-12-2009, 03:04 AM
If Elvis wanted to record the song in the studio publishing wouldn't of been an issue.

Incorrect.

Parker always wanted full rights; Webb, sensibly, didn't want to give them up for this track.

Just like Dolly Parton with I Will Always Love You.

Elvis probably lost dozens of songs because of Parker's methods.

Brian
07-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Incorrect.

Parker always wanted full rights; Webb, sensibly, didn't want to give them up for this track.

Just like Dolly Parton with I Will Always Love You.

Elvis probably lost dozens of songs because of Parker's methods.

That's not what I mean

I don't believe the story

Once the song had been a hit for Richard Harris Elvis didn't need any of the publishing for the song besides sometimes Elvis cut songs he couldn't get a piece of the publishing on anyway.
The way Webb tells the story it seems like he was saying Elvis wanted to record MacArthur Park but then says he didn't need him to record it because the song had already went to #1 by Richard Harris.
Once a song had already been a hit for another artist Elvis could cover any song he wished.

The story about I will always love you

I don't believe either Dolly Parton already wrote and had a country hit with it in 1974 Elvis became aware of it after he heard her on the radio singing the song
If he wanted to record it it most likely would've been done on stage or for inclusion on the Today album.
I believe Elvis simply lost interest in covering the song.

debtdbruno
07-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I can't imagine Elvis losing interest in a song called 'I will always love you', given the melancoly (sp) songs he liked after Cilla left.
This would have been a perfect 'tribute' song to her that his frame of mind liked.

LuckyJackson
07-12-2009, 05:04 PM
He would sing it to his fans, more than Cilla LOL!

KPM
07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
That's not what I mean

Once the song had been a hit for Richard Harris Elvis didn't need any of the publishing for the song besides sometimes Elvis cut songs he couldn't get a piece of the publishing on anyway.
The way Webb tells the story it seems like he was saying Elvis wanted to record MacArthur Park but then says he didn't need him to record it because the song had already went to #1 by Richard Harris.
Once a song had already been a hit for another artist Elvis could cover any song he wished.

I don't believe either Dolly Parton already wrote and had a country hit with it in 1974 Elvis became aware of it after he heard her on the radio singing the song
If he wanted to record it it most likely would've been done on stage or for inclusion on the Today album.
Well I see no reason for Dolly Parton to make this up-she does not need to pad her resume she has had songs recorded by many big stars not to mention her own success as a performer going back to her days with Porter Waggoner.
She has always been a pretty "open honest and get right to it" type of person-so I have no reason to doubt what she is on record as saying.
But I guess Elvis could have lost interest in the song-having to fight to get permission to do something gets old especially if you have done it for most of your career-so he may have just said "the he77 with it". That I can understand.

Brian
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Well I see no reason for Dolly Parton to make this up-she does not need to pad her resume she has had songs recorded by many big stars not to mention her own success as a performer going back to her days with Porter Waggoner.
She has always been a pretty "open honest and get right to it" type of person-so I have no reason to doubt what she is on record as saying.
But I guess Elvis could have lost interest in the song-having to fight to get permission to do something gets old especially if you have done it for most of your career-so he may have just said "the he77 with it". That I can understand.

Elvis didn't need permission to record I will Always love you

Did Elvis get Billy Swan's permission to record ''I can Help'' for the today album

Did Elvis get permission from Curly Putnam to record Green Green Grass of home for the Today album.

Did Elvis have to get Baker Knight's permission to record and release The Wonder of You as a single.

Did Elvis get permission from Ray Charles to record and release What'd I say.

Did Elvis get permission from Chuck Berry to record and release Promised Land as a single.

Did Elvis have to get Mann and Weil's permission to sing ''You've lost that loving feeling'' on stage

Did Elvis have to get permission from the Bee Gees to do Words on stage.

The list goes on and on their are holes all in Dolly Parton's story

You have to try a lot harder than that to pull the wool over my eyes.

presley31
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM

Agreed KPM and there is a thread here about Dolly talking about that song l will always love you.

presley31
07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Dolly wasn't parton with hit song
By: Joan McGurk

Dolly Parton knocked back advances from Elvis Presley's people to record one of her most famous songs, I Will Always Love You.
Dolly turned down the tempting offer after discovering that she would have to sign over half of the publishing rights for the song.

The big-hearted little lady from Smoky Mountain, Tennessee stood up to Presley's management and put the welfare of her family ahead of fame and fortune with Elvis.

She remembered: 'Elvis loved I Will Always Love You and wanted to record it. I got the word that he was going to record it and I was so excited'.

But her dream date with Elvis was abruptly cancelled after Presley's formidable manager, 'Colonel' Tom Parker demanded that she sign over 50pc of the publishing royalties to them.

Said Dolly: 'I was really quiet. I said, 'well, now it's already been a hit (for me). I wrote it and I've already published it. And this is the stuff I'm leaving for my family, when I'm dead and gone.

''That money goes in for stuff for my brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews. So I can't give up half the publishing'. And he said, 'well then, we can't record it''.

More than 30 years later, Dolly's mixture of emotions about what could have been, is always on her mind.

Added the 61-year-old writer of more than 3,000 songs: 'I cried all night. Other people were saying, 'you're nuts. It's Elvis Presley. I mean, hell, I'd give him all of it'.

'I said, 'I can't do that. Something in my heart says don't do that'. And I just didn't do it and they didn't do it.

'But I always wondered what it would sound like. I know he'd kill it. But anyway, so he didn't. Then, when Whitney (Houston's version) came out, I made enough money to buy Graceland!' she laughed.

Dolly's decision to retain complete ownership of that song turned out to be one the wisest moves she ever made.

She has enjoyed major chart success with it three times, while Houston's version is the biggest selling single of all time by a female artist - earning Parton more than $$6m.

In a strange twist of fate, Ulster audiences may be set to hear what a Parton/Presley duet of I Will Always Love You sounds like. For Dolly sang the song with an Elvis impersonator at a London gig last week!

source:
http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news/dolly_parton.shtml

TCB4ELVIS
07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
That's not what I mean

Colonel's biggest scam was the publishing rights. Read Alanna Nash's book, "The Colonel". Elvis didn't record everything he wanted. If it wasn't for, Marty Lacker, Red West & Lamar Fike we wouldn't of had a lot of great songs Elvis recorded.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the song, "If I Can Dream", the first song that slipped through The Colonel with publishing rights? They also had to convince Mac Davis to give up half of his publishing rights for, "In The Ghetto".
There is all kind of stories from 68 and on where the body guards and even the backup singers sometimes would tell the song writers to don't say anything about the publishing rights until Elvis is done recording it.
That way if Elvis liked the way it came out he would have fought to have it released. "Suspicious Minds" was another one Elvis had to fight for.

In the 70's Elvis did pretty much what he wanted but that didn't mean RCA would release what he recorded. It was ridiculous how whenever Jarvis was recording live a performances, he sometimes would stop recording cause he knew they didn't have rights to release the songs.

I believe that this issue was one of the main reasons Elvis got turned off to the music industry. Elvis didn't care what it cost to record a song he believed in but the business end of it I believed turned him off.

in 1972 at the MSG press Conference he's quoted as saying, "I'll take any song from any artist" But in the same press Conference he said, "it's hard to find good songs cause the artist's form their own publishing companies and record them themselves"
so that story about 'MacAuthur Park might be true

Clips of Alanna Nash's book on the link below.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2-HvQBbihNkC&dq=alanna+nash+the+colonel&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=rsDAyfTaGn&sig=Cyw13yoeGBT3FdHn65NKfkCro88&hl=en&ei=eEtaSoamOd6PmAf-9fGHAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Brian
07-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Colonel's biggest scam was the publishing rights. Read Alanna Nash's book, "The Colonel". Elvis didn't record everything he wanted. If it wasn't for, Marty Lacker, Red West & Lamar Fike we wouldn't of had a lot of great songs Elvis recorded.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the song, "If I Can Dream", the first song that slipped through The Colonel with publishing rights? They also had to convince Mac Davis to give up half of his publishing rights for, "In The Ghetto".
There is all kind of stories from 68 and on where the body guards and even the backup singers sometimes would tell the song writers to don't say anything about the publishing rights until Elvis is done recording it.
That way if Elvis liked the way it came out he would have fought to have it released. "Suspicious Minds" was another one Elvis had to fight for.

In the 70's Elvis did pretty much what he wanted but that didn't mean RCA would release what he recorded. It was ridiculous how whenever Jarvis was recording live a performances, he sometimes would stop recording cause he knew they didn't have rights to release the songs.

I believe that this issue was one of the main reasons Elvis got turned off to the music industry. Elvis didn't care what it cost to record a song he believed in but the business end of it I believed turned him off.

in 1972 at the MSG press Conference he's quoted as saying, "I'll take any song from any artist" But in the same press Conference he said, "it's hard to find good songs cause the artist's form their own publishing companies and record them themselves"
so that story about 'MacAuthur Park might be true

Clips of Alanna Nash's book on the link below.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2-HvQBbihNkC&dq=alanna+nash+the+colonel&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=rsDAyfTaGn&sig=Cyw13yoeGBT3FdHn65NKfkCro88&hl=en&ei=eEtaSoamOd6PmAf-9fGHAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

I have read those books

You still don't get what i'm saying

If I can Dream and In the Ghetto were brand new songs and oh by the way Elvis recording both of those songs anyway.

Elvis didn't need publishing rights to cover songs that had already been hits.

TCB4ELVIS
07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I would like add a Warning for the book, "The Colonel" by Alanna Nash..lol

If you think you don't like the Colonel now, after you're done reading it, I promise you, You'll detest and hate him. I know hate is a strong word but I was literately getting sick reading about how he split all the movie & publishing rights with his friends and Elvis would end up with only 10-20%. Then he convinces Elvis to sell the whole Elvis catalog from 1954-1973 to RCA for 5.4 million dollars. After 1973 Elvis didn't get a penny from publishing rights from his prior recordings. It's no wonder he didn't step foot in the recording studio in 1974.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2-HvQBbihNkC&pg=RA1-PA279&lpg=RA1-PA279&dq=the+colonel+sells+the++elvis+catalog+to+rca&source=bl&ots=rsDAyfW6Cs&sig=7SEaXQkAhYEK323KxJ_9MT3LP1k&hl=en&ei=e1VaSquWAdPEmQeXnpiHAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

TCB4ELVIS
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I have read those books

You still don't get what i'm saying

If I can Dream and In the Ghetto were brand new songs and oh by the way Elvis recording both of those songs anyway.

Elvis didn't need publishing rights to cover songs that had already been hits.

So then the issue you're talking about is, paying the writers to use them. Then that means Elvis had to pay per unit he had copied/sold after he recorded it. So if they printed a million copies to sell then that meant Elvis had to pay, I think back then it was anywhere from $10-50 dollars every 500 copies.

hounddog
07-12-2009, 11:45 PM
"Jimmy Webb means he has Elvis singing a few lines of the song from the 68 special on tape."

Then we've all go that version. I guess i read more into his statement, i figured he like a complete or near complete version.

Brian
07-13-2009, 12:35 AM
So then the issue you're talking about is, paying the writers to use them. Then that means Elvis had to pay per unit he had copied/sold after he recorded it. So if they printed a million copies to sell then that meant Elvis had to pay, I think back then it was anywhere from $10-50 dollars every 500 copies.

no, not exactly

my point is Elvis could have recorded her song if he wanted to he became aware of it after Dolly had a hit with it so he would've recorded for inclusion for the Today album or done it on stage since Dolly already had a very recent hit with it he wouldn't of released it as a single
The reason he didn't record the song was because he lost interest in it.

Brian
07-13-2009, 12:38 AM
I would like add a Warning for the book, "The Colonel" by Alanna Nash..lol

If you think you don't like the Colonel now, after you're done reading it, I promise you, You'll detest and hate him. I know hate is a strong word but I was literately getting sick reading about how he split all the movie & publishing rights with his friends and Elvis would end up with only 10-20%. Then he convinces Elvis to sell the whole Elvis catalog from 1954-1973 to RCA for 5.4 million dollars. After 1973 Elvis didn't get a penny from publishing rights from his prior recordings. It's no wonder he didn't step foot in the recording studio in 1974.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2-HvQBbihNkC&pg=RA1-PA279&lpg=RA1-PA279&dq=the+colonel+sells+the++elvis+catalog+to+rca&source=bl&ots=rsDAyfW6Cs&sig=7SEaXQkAhYEK323KxJ_9MT3LP1k&hl=en&ei=e1VaSquWAdPEmQeXnpiHAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Not everything Alanna Nash says in her book is true

Elvis didn't give away publishing rights to songs in the 73 deal

TCB4ELVIS
07-13-2009, 12:59 AM
"Jimmy Webb means he has Elvis singing a few lines of the song from the 68 special on tape."

Then we've all go that version. I guess i read more into his statement, i figured he like a complete or near complete version.

I don't know it looked more like Elvis was making fun of it. Using a fake falsetto type singing...lol

TCB4ELVIS
07-13-2009, 01:12 AM
no, not exactly

my point is Elvis could have recorded her song if he wanted to he became aware of it after Dolly had a hit with it so he would've recorded for inclusion for the Today album or done it on stage since Dolly already had a very recent hit with it he wouldn't of released it as a single
The reason he didn't record the song was because he lost interest in it.

you're possibly right cause at that point he recorded songs he's been wanting to record for years.
We now have home recordings of ELVIS singing, What Now My Love, in 1959. Did you know that Marty Lacker presented the song, Way Down to ELVIS in 1973? and The Wonder of You, was brought to him in 1967? they could not get the right publishing deal for, Wonder of you until 1970.

presley31
07-13-2009, 01:48 AM
I really can't see dolly making up that story so l am going her take word on it.

Brian
07-13-2009, 05:42 AM
you're possibly right cause at that point he recorded songs he's been wanting to record for years.
We now have home recordings of ELVIS singing, What Now My Love, in 1959. Did you know that Marty Lacker presented the song, Way Down to ELVIS in 1973? and The Wonder of You, was brought to him in 1967? they could not get the right publishing deal for, Wonder of you until 1970.

Where did you read that about the Wonder of You and Way down?

TCB4ELVIS
07-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Where did you read that about the Wonder of You and Way down?

Elvis Presley: A Life in Music : The Complete Recording Sessions
by Ernst Jorgensen

utmom2008
07-13-2009, 05:50 AM
by Ernst Jorgensen

That's a reliable source! (y)

Brian
07-13-2009, 06:00 AM
by Ernst Jorgensen

I don't believe the story because Marty Lacker has run down the song Way down as being terrible.
I use to read the Aek lounge where he was a member and he said he brought Elvis Raised on Rock, Never been to Spain, Where do I go from here, Loving Arms, Steamroller blues and We had it all.
He never mentioned bringing Way Down

I think Elvis got the song through one of his publishing companies or Felton Jarvis.

I like Ernst Jorgensen but since Marty Lacker should to know what songs he gave and which songs he didn't all go with him on this.

TCB4ELVIS
07-13-2009, 06:01 AM
That's a reliable source! (y)

Thank you, UTmom
I could hear him singing, Way Down better in 1973 possibly would've sounded like, Burning Love. I always thought the arrangement needed more work. Less straight ahead 50s style back beat more modern 70s groove. I just wish he had a different producer or music arranger but it sounded like he gave up by 1976.

I Don't know, I just can't imagine Elvis singing, The Wonder of You in 1967. It such a 70s tradmark song for Elvis. Since we only know of the live versions, Would he have sang it much slower? just makes me wonder.

Brian
07-13-2009, 07:05 AM
The publishing deal that Colonel Parker had in place did not prevent Elvis from recording a song in the studio that had previously been a hit for another artist nor did it prevent Elvis from singing a song on stage that had been a hit for another performer.

It is also my understanding that the Memphis Mafia guys would get songs from outside sources to bring to record if Elvis liked the song he recorded it with or without some of the publishing.

Where the Colonel Parker publishing factor did affect Elvis was that songs by outside writers who weren't willing to give a part of their publishing didn't get any songs submitted to Elvis.
So unless these writers knew one of the Memphis mafia guys there was no way one of there songs was going to get to Elvis to record.

Because of Colonel Parker's publishing tactics Elvis potentially didn't get first crack at these songs.

We've only just begun

She's a lady

One bad Apple

Tie a Yellow Ribbon round an ole Oak Tree

Rhinestone Cowboy

Feelings

Love will keep us together.

TCB4ELVIS
07-13-2009, 07:22 AM
The publishing deal that Colonel Parker had in place did not prevent Elvis from recording a song in the studio that had previously been a hit for another artist nor did it prevent Elvis from singing a song on stage that had been a hit for another performer.

It is also my understanding that the Memphis Mafia guys would get songs from outside sources to bring to record if Elvis liked the song he recorded it with or without some of the publishing.

Where the Colonel Parker publishing factor did affect Elvis was that songs by outside writers who weren't willing to give a part of their publishing didn't get any songs submitted to Elvis.
So unless these writers knew one of the Memphis mafia guys there was no way one of there songs was going to get to Elvis to record.

Because of Colonel Parker's publishing tactics Elvis potentially didn't get first crack at these songs.

We've only just begun

She's a lady

One bad Apple

Tie a Yellow Ribbon round an ole Oak Tree

Rhinestone Cowboy

Feelings

Love will keep us together.

That's what I was saying all along but What's your source for this information?

Brian
07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
That's what I was saying all along but What's your source for this information?

It's just the way it was

I was just asking you about where you had heard the story about Way Down and The Wonder of You.

I wasn't trying to be mean to you or anything.

I just don't believe Ernst because it's his word against Marty Lacker's and as you know Ernst wasn't there at any of the recording sessions so who is he to say Marty Lacker brought Way Down to Elvis in 1973.

If you were to ask Marty Lacker he will tell you that the story is B.S.

I bet Felton Jarvis brought the song to Elvis to record for the first time in 1976.

TCB4ELVIS
07-13-2009, 07:55 AM
sorry,I didn't think you were being mean, I just think you want to know everything like I do..lol
I meant to ask, what's your source of the those songs Elvis could've had first pick at?
I'll try and find a direct quote for the song,Way Down and let you know. Maybe I got, Marty mixed up with Felton or Lamar.

Brian
07-13-2009, 08:05 AM
sorry,I didn't think you were being mean, I just think you want to know everything like I do..lol
I meant to ask, what's your source of the those songs Elvis could've had first pick at?
I'll try and find a direct quote for the song,Way Down and let you know. Maybe I got, Marty mixed up with Felton or Lamar.

I didn't mean those were the songs that Elvis missed out on

I meant due to Colonel Parker's policy Elvis hypothetically could've missed out on those songs and some others.
It was just an example of how the publishing policy worked.

Getlo
07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
You have to try a lot harder than that to pull the wool over my eyes.

And you need to brush up on how music publishing works, especially in relation to writers and singers.

Getlo
07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I just don't believe Ernst

There's your problem.

SleepyJack
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I have serious doubts about Elvis wanting to record "McArthur Park".... I thought he was just fooling around in the `68 special snippet and saw the song as a bit ridiculous..... maybe I`m wrong... wouldn`t be the first time!
And as to whether or not the Colonel`s obsession with owning the rights to everything....how could that NOT have cost Elvis a mountain of good material? People were willing to write exclusively for Elvis until the Colonel appeared at the door of the cave with his big stick..... the man was a fool when it came to music... and a big,greedy,successful fool when it came to money.

Brian
07-13-2009, 05:54 PM
And you need to brush up on how music publishing works, especially in relation to writers and singers.

It is you who who needs to brush up on it.

everything I've said is right

Brian
07-13-2009, 05:56 PM
There's your problem.

Not everything Ernst Jorgensen says is correct

presley31
07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
It is you who who needs to brush up on it.

if you want people to believe in what you say than showing proof is the only way to go.

utmom2008
07-13-2009, 06:03 PM

One bad Apple

One Bad Apple? http://smiley.net.ru/emolau023.gif (http://smiley.net.ru/emolau1.htm) http://smiley.net.ru/emolau156.gif (http://smiley.net.ru/emolau5.htm)

utmom2008
07-13-2009, 06:05 PM

Just curious....are you ever wrong? http://smiley.net.ru/talnno012.gif (http://smiley.net.ru/talnno1.htm)

Brian
07-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Just curious....are you ever wrong? http://smiley.net.ru/talnno012.gif (http://smiley.net.ru/talnno1.htm)

no, not really

just kidding everybody is wrong once in a while but i'm not wrong about this.

Brian
07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
if you want people to believe in what you say than showing proof is the only way to go.

Read the second and third post I made on page 1

presley31
07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Read the second and third post I made on page 1

I did but l don't see any proof but your own writing. Link would nice to see for myself:)

Brian
07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I did but l don't see any proof but your own writing. Link would nice to see for myself:)

It's just called common sense and logic Presley31

Elvis covered countless songs on stage and in the studio if he wanted to cover Dolly Parton's song after she had a hit with it he could.

The publishing became an issue for songs that hadn't been a hit you even have Elvis singing parts of Jimmy Webb's song after it have been a hit for Richard Harris.

presley31
07-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Elvis covered countless songs on stage and in the studio if he wanted to cover Dolly Parton's song after she had a hit with it he could.

The publishing became an issue for songs that hadn't been a hit you even have Elvis singing parts of Jimmy Webb's song after it have been a hit for Richard Harris.

Ok but don't expect me to take your word on things without something to back it up. Gelto isn't normaly wrong on here so l would take his word and believe it.

Brian
07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok but don't expect me to take your word on things without something to back it up. Gelto isn't normaly wrong on here so l would take his word and believe it.

You don't have to

look at the number of songs Elvis covered that is the evidence and proof!!!

The examples I cite that's just the way it was.

Good grief

utmom2008
07-13-2009, 08:43 PM

Interesting comment. :doh: :hmm:

Teddy
07-14-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm struggling to work out what everybody's position is on this publishing argument. What exactly is it about the mechanics of (Elvis's) music publishing which is creating the conflict of opinion?

Incidentally, does anyone have this? 32013

Getlo
07-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Getlo isn't normaly wrong on here so l would take his word and believe it.

Thanks for that.

And, yes - in this case - I and other posters are correct.

utmom2008
07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
What's the problem? We don't call people names here so that was really silly if you ask me:supriced::doh:

Don't worry Jen, I'm betting this delightful new member isn't with us long. ;) Full of charm though, isn't he/she? :lol:

utmom2008
07-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Who rattled your cage today???

Someone is craving a little attention today, that's all! ;);)

debtdbruno
07-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Obviously wanting to make an 'impression',..........PMSL

Brian
07-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm struggling to work out what everybody's position is on this publishing argument. What exactly is it about the mechanics of (Elvis's) music publishing which is creating the conflict of opinion?

Incidentally, does anyone have this? 32013

You've noticed that too.

everything I said is 100% factual yet others haven't really come forward to offer anything to this discussion except TCB4Elvis.
Getlo just says he is right and i'm wrong without any explaination and then people say they agree with him but he hasn't really said anything.

After I pointed out all the songs Elvis covered on stage and in the studio where publishing wasn't an issue Presley31 asks where's a link to the proof!!!
she says don't expect me to take your word for it!!!!

That was certainly a bizarre post.

presley31
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
You've noticed that too.

everything I said is 100% factual yet others haven't really come forward to offer anything to this discussion except TCB4Elvis.
Getlo just says he is right and i'm wrong

After I pointed out all the songs Elvis covered on stage and in the studio where publishing wasn't an issue Presley31 asks where's a link to the proof!!!

That was certainly a bizarre post.

Umm no it's called common sense and if you want to say your right than show proof to what your saying instead of going on forever about something and gelto has showed proof many times before and me also but you don't ever so please save it when you call my posts bizarre:blink:

Brian
07-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Umm no it's called common sense and if you want to say your right than show proof to what your saying instead of going on forever about something and gelto has showed proof many times before and me also but you don't ever so please save it when you call my posts bizarre:blink:

You don't get it do you

you are an Elvis fan aren't you

You know Elvis covered songs on stage all the time without a problem
that's the proof.

Getlo has showed nothing on this topic

utmom2008
07-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Getlo just says he is right and i'm wrong without any explaination and then people say they agree with him but he hasn't really said anything.

;) You must be feeling a bit like Rodney Dangerfield today. ;):lol::lol:

Brian
07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
;) You must be feeling a bit like Rodney Dangerfield today. ;):lol::lol:

Yes, I do very much

utmom2008
07-14-2009, 09:38 PM

One bad Apple

I just can't see Elvis doing this one! :supriced:

YouTube - Osmonds- One Bad Apple

utmom2008
07-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes, I do very much

:lol::lol: (y)(y)(y)

shelley.m.
07-15-2009, 05:23 AM
I hate to say it but I like the song MacArthur Park but I just can't see Elvis recording it.No way!

TCB4ELVIS
07-15-2009, 06:38 AM

Sorry people I need to make a correction on what I said here. It wasn't Way Down, that was presented to Elvis ealier, it was the song, Moody Blue.
Marty Lacker is quoted in Alanna Nash's book as saying, "I brought the song, Moody Blue, to Elvis during this session, (it was the Burning Love session in 1972) I got the song from,Screen Gem, then later in 1976,Felton got it from, Mark James.".

TCB4ELVIS
07-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I just can't see Elvis doing this one! :supriced:

YouTube - Osmonds- One Bad Apple (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R9FI3OybSA)

I think Brian was just bringing out a point of Elvis missing out on hits not that he was offered this one but It does sound a bit bubble gum. That might cause it's the young Osmond's singing it.
It does have a little of that, Change of Habit, soundtrack feeling to it. That's my opinion. But Elvis didn't even want to record what was to become one of his last hits,Burning Love. I can't see where he didn't like it. Maybe he just wanted serious songs no rocker type songs.

utmom2008
07-15-2009, 06:51 AM
But Elvis didn't even want to record what was to become one of his last hits,Burning Love. I can't see where he didn't like it. Maybe he just wanted serious songs no rocker type songs.

Then again, maybe "One Bad Apple" wasn't so corny after all....;);):lol::lol::lol:

YouTube - Elvis Presley-three Corn Patches

TCB4ELVIS
07-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Then again, maybe "One Bad Apple" wasn't so corny after all....;);):lol::lol::lol:

YouTube - Elvis Presley-three Corn Patches (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkdEsCi6A6g)

It's a good catchy sound if ELVIS's band recorded it, it would've had a more mature Pop/Rock sound. To me when I was little I thought it was the Jackson 5. Until my older sister bought the album.

Don't know if it was intended but that's a funny play on words, wasn't so corny" with song, 'Three Corn Patches". This song just sounds like one of Elvis jam sessions to them oldies he loved. It's in my opinion done too straight ahead. Elvis was known for remaking songs to sound different, some what mod without straying too far from the original. Promised Land but Three Corn Patches, to me sounds, Corny...lol

Brian
07-15-2009, 07:34 AM
But Elvis didn't even want to record what was to become one of his last hits,Burning Love. I can't see where he didn't like it. Maybe he just wanted serious songs no rocker type songs.

I think Elvis didn't like Burning Love because of the lyrics.

The part of the song that goes ''your love is liftin me higher like a sweet song from the choir'' that's okay but the part that goes ''The flames are licking my body'' and ''you're a Hunka hunka burning love'' are rather silly and stupid.

I think the rockers that came after ''Promised Land'' and T-R-O-U-B-L-E were much better lyrically

even though the lyrics to Burning Love aren't the best you can't argue with success i'm glad he recorded it.

elvislady
07-15-2009, 07:56 AM

The part of the song that goes ''your love is liftin me higher like a sweet song from the choir'' that's okay but the part that goes ''The flames are licking my body'' and ''you're a Hunka hunka burning love'' are rather silly and stupid.

I think the rockers that came after ''Promised Land'' and T-R-O-U-B-L-E were much better lyrically

even though the lyrics to Burning Love aren't the best you can't argue with success i'm glad he recorded it.

I know what you mean about the lyrics when you actually see them and read what they are they sound silly but when the song is sung they do seem to work, this is one of my favs for personal reasons!
elvislady:D

TCB4ELVIS
07-15-2009, 07:57 AM

Possibly the reason, I once read the he didn't like the Hunka, hunk of burning love", part cause it was reference to his prior 50's hit, Big Hunk O Love. if that's he case he was wrong for thinking the song wasn't good cause that became an Elvis trademark line. if it was the part you mentioned I would think that was a cool line in the song cause it had some sexual innuendos to it. Witch many of his songs had.
on the Elvis On Tour, outtakes in rehearing, Burning Love, he sings, " and I hate this -a *&^% (the S word)" to quote him.

Getlo
07-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Getlo has showed nothing on this topic

I don't need to.

You are wrong as to how publishing rights work, and it is not up to me to show you the way.

EnigmaticSun
07-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Good point. Promised Land is very nice, inventive lyrics!

Well.. Burning Love features Elvis singing in a key higher than his range would usually allow. He liked to pull off such a trick, but the words are more suitable to Billy Gilman. I would have appreciated the song better if it were kept a gospel.

The tune itself is catchy - reminds me of sweat-gospel and I would love to create such a feeling and groove.

Brian
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't need to.

You are wrong as to how publishing rights work, and it is not up to me to show you the way.

You are wrong to say I am wrong.

You don't understand

Sonny
07-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I read this thread daily, and I take sides with Brian on this one.

Back then the right issues were not as they are nowadays. Most performers welcomed the extra income if a big name like Elvis f.i. would cover their songs.

The Dolly Parton story is hardly true, even if she says so, she would for sure have welcomed a deal to get some money, no matter the odds.

and b.t.w. the original Burning Love rehearsal has Elvis in a lower key, too bad they went for the so, so version that was released.

And, like I always say, discuss, but with respect please.

Getlo
07-17-2009, 12:06 PM
The Dolly Parton story is hardly true, even if she says so, she would for sure have welcomed a deal to get some money, no matter the odds.

No.

A real artist, one who genuinely cares about their creations - like Dolly - would have stuck to their guns and not given up publishing rights.

And Dolly stuck to her guns. Good on her.