PDA

View Full Version : Presley's most important single release in history of Rock and Roll.

Raised on Rock
06-08-2009, 07:12 AM
So here is a quick poll: Which of the above singles released in Elvis times, do you think, is the most relevant, not in terms of Elvis personal career, but in terms of the development of Rock and Roll? And can you share your thoughts about why is that? tops 5 lists are most welcome to.

Have fun.

Brian
06-08-2009, 07:55 AM
it's gotta be That's all right/Blue moon of Kentucky

without this single none of the other singles would've exisisted.

hannaloveselvis
06-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I will agree with Brian but at the same time Elvis really shined through with Heartbreak Hotel.

Getlo
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
That's All Right, of course.

It was the Big Bang of Rock'n'Roll.

Nothing else even comes close.

Polk-Salad-Annie
06-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I voted for That's All Right / Blue Moon of Kentucky 1954

rickb
06-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Hard vote, 1,4 0r 5 but I guess 1

dj_ethan
06-08-2009, 11:30 AM
That's All Right / Blue Moon of Kentucky Of Course !

Dino78
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
There is only one choice possible:
"That's All Right (Mama)" / "Blue Moon Of Kentucky"

Jungleroom76
06-08-2009, 06:01 PM
No question...it's gotta be THAT'S ALL RIGHT/BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY!! (y)

THAT single was the birth of rock n' roll...PERIOD!!! :king:

TCB!
Mike

Brian
06-08-2009, 06:05 PM
No question...it's gotta be THAT'S ALL RIGHT/BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY!! (y)

THAT single was the birth of rock n' roll...PERIOD!!! :king:

TCB!
Mike

What about Rocket 88?

Jungleroom76
06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
What about Rocket 88?

ROCKET 88 is a great song, no question about it. But considering Elvis' worldwide effect on music, I think THAT'S ALL RIGHT is probably considered by most music historians to be the birth of rock n' roll just because it reached so many people.

We could probably debate all day long which song was THE song that started rock n' roll and even whether or not it was Elvis who started it...but when you look at the impact on music that Elvis' song had, I just think that song is pointed to as the starting point for rock n' roll. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Brian
06-08-2009, 08:19 PM
ROCKET 88 is a great song, no question about it. But considering Elvis' worldwide effect on music, I think THAT'S ALL RIGHT is probably considered by most music historians to be the birth of rock n' roll just because it reached so many people.

We could probably debate all day long which song was THE song that started rock n' roll and even whether or not it was Elvis who started it...but when you look at the impact on music that Elvis' song had, I just think that song is pointed to as the starting point for rock n' roll. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

I never thought of Rocket 88 as being a great song but many historians consider it the first rock n' roll record while others think of it as basically a jump blues song.

I don't think that's all right mama reached as many people as Rock around the Clock did as that song was the first rock song to hit #1 in 1955 ironically it was actually Marty Robbins who heard Elvis singing That's all right when they toured together he had a country hit with it in 1955 peaking at #7 which i've heard pissed Elvis off it wasn't until Heartbreak Hotel that people became aware of Elvis but without That's all right their wouldn't be a Heartbreak hotel.

Jungleroom76
06-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I never thought of Rocket 88 as being a great song but many historians consider it the first rock n' roll record while others think of it as basically a jump blues song.

Personally, I would classify ROCKET 88 as a blues song more than a rock n' roll song, but that's just my personal opinion.

As for the song itself, I just think it's a really cool song....not necessarily a masterpiece or anything, but just a very cool song from that time period! (y)

I don't think that's all right mama reached as many people as Rock around the Clock did as that song was the first rock song to hit #1 in 1955 ironically it was actually Marty Robbins who heard Elvis singing That's all right when they toured together he had a country hit with it in 1955 peaking at #7 which i've heard pissed Elvis off it wasn't until Heartbreak Hotel that people became aware of Elvis but without That's all right their wouldn't be a Heartbreak hotel.

All 100% right Brian!! But I think looking back on history now, THAT'S ALL RIGHT was probably the first real rock n' roll record, even if it didn't garner the national attention that it should have. Yes, ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK was probably one of the first well known rock n' roll hits. But, I have a feeling if THAT'S ALL RIGHT had been as well known as ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK, THAT'S ALL RIGHT would have a secure place in music history as THE first rock n' roll hit. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Trelane P
06-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I always thought Elvis hinted at what was to come with That's All Right. For my money he delivered big time with his second sun single Good Rockin Tonight.

Raised on Rock
06-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I always thought Elvis hinted at what was to come with That's All Right. For my money he delivered big time with his second sun single Good Rockin Tonight.

If That's All Right was ground zero, the so called fusion of Country and Blues an other american music elements, with an extra something of just straight red hot teenage excitement that was just Elvis, and latter to be called the what is about of Rock and Roll.

Good Rockin Tonight was a statement: what had happened at Sun Studios months before with That's all Right was to be no one-time accident, his second single, along with the excitement that Elvis unique stage antics were causing, set a direction, not just for Elvis career, but for Rock and Roll.

Is Good Rockin Tonight, except for a chronology instance, as important as That's all Right?

I think it is, except That's all Right came before.

Raised on Rock
06-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Historically speaking, That's All Right is movement no.1 in rock and roll history, Rocket 88 is to me the point were R&B is just about to become R&R, but not yet.

Berry's Maybellene and Bill Haleys Rock Around the Clock are both post "Baby Lets play House", Presley fourth statement on what's Rock music going to be about: Baby I want to play house with you... ((his third single, Milkcow Blues Boogie, set the basis on what 60's british blues bands where about to come). Baby Lets Playhouse, a single that showed a much more defined Presley vocal style and performance attitude, the one that was copied by a thousand rockers and rockabilliers in years to come. Yet, Haley's Rock Around The Clock might have been heard by a much bigger audience than Presley singles.

It was with Heartbreak Hotel, that Rock and Roll, really made an impact world wide, and also in terms of money making. It was Heartbreak Hotel and the Stage Show Tv performances what is referred over and over (McCartney, Dylan, Lennon etc) as the moment Elvis was first heard about for many and made the cultural impact that he did, and then because of RCA reissues of the earlier Sun singles, they where captured with the magic of the Sun stuff, like in the UK. This is not to say that the Sun sides on its original release dates had not make an impact on their own.

Heartbreak Hotel also introduced a new element to Rock language, teen age phony gloomy mood and darkness. Lots of laughs but cool and true.

So anyhow, That's All Right historically speaking its of definitively most relevance than Heartbreak, but back in the day, it might had been perceived the other way, anyone here that was around at the time?

Brian
06-09-2009, 12:00 AM
All 100% right Brian!! But I think looking back on history now, THAT'S ALL RIGHT was probably the first real rock n' roll record, even if it didn't garner the national attention that it should have. Yes, ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK was probably one of the first well known rock n' roll hits. But, I have a feeling if THAT'S ALL RIGHT had been as well known as ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK, THAT'S ALL RIGHT would have a secure place in music history as THE first rock n' roll hit. :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

I think both That's All Right and Mystery Train (because it's such a good song) would've been huge million selling hits just like Don't be Cruel/Hound dog, Heartbreak hotel, Jailhouse Rock were if Elvis had been on a major label instead of Sun because they would've had the money to promote the songs.

Raised on Rock
06-09-2009, 01:13 AM
I think both That's All Right and Mystery Train (because it's such a good song) would've been huge million selling hits just like Don't be Cruel/Hound dog, Heartbreak hotel, Jailhouse Rock were if Elvis had been on a major label instead of Sun because they would've had the money to promote the songs.

Yep, the extraordinary craze that That's All Right caused locally in Memphis when it was first released tell you so. How many times was played in a row that night?

Jungleroom76
06-09-2009, 01:19 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!! (y)

I have no doubt that most of Elvis' Sun singles would have been huge hits, had they been released on a major record label. :king:

TCB!
Mike

shelley.m.
06-09-2009, 04:05 AM
I voted for Heartbreak Hotel/I Was The One.I had to read the question very carefully.I was going to vote for That's Alright Mama/Blue Moon Of Kentucky.To me that's not Rock'n'Roll tho'.Rockabilly maybe but not Rock'n'Roll.That's why I voted for Heartbreak Hotel backed with I Was The One.

Brian
06-09-2009, 04:11 AM
I voted for Heartbreak Hotel/I Was The One.I had to read the question very carefully.I was going to vote for That's Alright Mama/Blue Moon Of Kentucky.To me that's not Rock'n'Roll tho'.Rockabilly maybe but not Rock'n'Roll.That's why I voted for Heartbreak Hotel backed with I Was The One.

That's all right Mama is more of a rock n' roll song than Heartbreak hotel is

Heartbreak hotel is a ballad maybe the first rock ballad, but it's still a ballad.

Teddy
06-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Strictly speaking, That's Alright and Heartbreak Hotel are both rock'n'roll records, but That's Alright leans more on it's country ingredients, especially rhythmically, while Heartbreak Hotel is more of a blues.

I voted for the former, since it is definitely the most significant in the development of the form, although Hotel is a tempting choice, since it's impact was further reaching on a cultural level.

Wendy56
06-09-2009, 08:38 AM
That's All Right... The begining! :irule:

Elisabeth
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel. (y)(y)

beckelvis
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
thatīs all right

Raised on Rock
06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
They say Elvis Presley could only invent rock and roll once and that was in '54 with That's All Right. But with the recording of Hound Dog he reinvented Rock and Roll.

The sound he pushed for in Hound Dog was again, something all different, even if it was, once again, a blues cover (one that was written by two white guys anyhow). Before Hound Dog, rock tunes always had a certain element, a guitar lick, a piano line, a bass pattern, that was clearly borrowed from blues, country, honky tonk, boogie or R&B, it was with Presley's recording of Hound Dog that rock music got a sound of his own. From Scotty Moore's raw power chords, Presley gritty overdriven vocal approach, DJ Fontana's aggressive machine gun drum attack, dissonant high octane fuzzy guitar solo's, yes, Hard Rock was invented here.

Sure power chords where used on blues before but never ever this way, sure Chuck Berry was the father of rock guitar soloing, (although previous Scooty Moore's solo had already their share on that), but there is always a melodic quality on Berry that it is not here, what we got here on Hound Dog, was de beginning of a new rock sound, one that had to wait over a decade to be heard, Presley's Hound Dog, was, the precursor of garage rock, punk rock, it was hard rock, definitively a turning step away from the rockabilly, R&B, and pop sound of 50's rock and roll.

Hound Dog seems to be judged today just because of his success as a hit
single, and is regarded and overlooked as on of Presley signature songs, but back then when it was first released, so explosive, so big, so new, so exiting. If That's All Right was the Big Bang, Hound Dog was life on earth.

My vote went for Hound Dog.

Brian
06-10-2009, 12:37 AM
They say Elvis Presley could only invent rock and roll once and that was in '54 with That's All Right. But with the recording of Hound Dog he reinvented Rock and Roll.

The sound he pushed for in Hound Dog was again, something all different, even if it was, once again, a blues cover (one that was written by two white guys anyhow). Before Hound Dog, rock tunes always had a certain element, a guitar lick, a piano line, a bass pattern, that was clearly borrowed from blues, country, honky tonk, boogie or R&B, it was with Presley's recording of Hound Dog that rock music got a sound of his own. From Scotty Moore's raw power chords, Presley gritty overdriven vocal approach, DJ Fontana's aggressive machine gun drum attack, dissonant high octane fuzzy guitar solo's, yes, Hard Rock was invented here.

Sure power chords where used on blues before but never ever this way, sure Chuck Berry was the father of rock guitar soloing, (although previous Scooty Moore's solo had already their share on that), but there is always a melodic quality on Berry that it is not here, what we got here on Hound Dog, was de beginning of a new rock sound, one that had to wait over a decade to be heard, Presley's Hound Dog, was, the precursor of garage rock, punk rock, it was hard rock, definitively a turning step away from the rockabilly, R&B, and pop sound of 50's rock and roll.

Hound Dog seems to be judged today just because of his success as a hit
single, and is regarded and overlooked as on of Presley signature songs, but back then when it was first released, so explosive, so big, so new, so exiting. If That's All Right was the Big Bang, Hound Dog was life on earth.

My vote went for Hound Dog.

I agree with you there

Hound dog should be recognized as either the first Hard rock song or at least a precursor to hard rock it should get more credit.
It no doubt influenced all the harder edged 60's British band stuff yet it doesn't get mentioned as doing so.

shelley.m.
06-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel. (y)(y)

Now! Those are Rock'n'Roll Songs!

Joe Car
06-10-2009, 11:58 AM
That's All Right, is the correct answer I believe. Listening to those records, you have to marvel at the genius that was a 19 year-old Elvis, along with that remarkable voice. Heartbreak Hotel may have helped him gain world-wide fame, but his sun sessions are considered the rock and roil holy grail by many artists who came later on, and by the purists.

Jungleroom76
06-11-2009, 12:13 AM
That's All Right, is the correct answer I believe. Listening to those records, you have to marvel at the genius that was a 19 year-old Elvis, along with that remarkable voice. Heartbreak Hotel may have helped him gain world-wide fame, but his sun sessions are considered the rock and roil holy grail by many artists who came later on, and by the purists.

WELL SAID JOE!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Getlo
06-12-2009, 03:03 PM
his sun sessions are considered the rock and roil holy grail by many artists who came later on, and by the purists.

What? :blink:

A Holy Grail is something that hasn't been found, and something that could alter the world if it was.

Hardly what the Sun Sessions are!

Musically, an Elvis Holy Grail would be the rumoured Beatles-Elvis jam, or some such.

Joe Car
06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
What? :blink:

A Holy Grail is something that hasn't been found, and something that could alter the world if it was.

Hardly what the Sun Sessions are!

Musically, an Elvis Holy Grail would be the rumoured Beatles-Elvis jam, or some such.

Musically, the sun sessions are important as anything ever produced! It was these sessions that would inspire other legendary artists to become musicians, and help shape the world as we know it. Perhaps holy grail was incorrect term, but one gets the message I was trying to get across.

Jungleroom76
06-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Perhaps holy grail was incorrect term, but one gets the message I was trying to get across.

PRECISELY!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

marc
06-13-2009, 07:18 PM
There are a lot of great Elvis singles, but That's Allright was the one that gave him his first fame and the world a New Sound. It's not about how made the first R&R, but about how gave it direction. And that was Elvis Presley with That's Allright Mama.

Getlo
06-14-2009, 11:51 AM
It's not about how made the first R&R, but about how gave it direction.

Correct. That's All Right wasn't the first rock song, nor did Elvis invent it.

Joe Car
06-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Correct. That's All Right wasn't the first rock song, nor did Elvis invent it.

Nor did he claim to invent it.

Elton
06-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog
(y)