PDA

View Full Version : This Is Elvis...

franny
05-31-2009, 07:53 PM
I was just wondering...In This Is Elvis, there's a part where is shows Elvis was scheduled to do a concert on August 16th? :'(

Is this true? I know that June 26th was his last concert and he went to Hawaii for vacation. But, when was he scheduled to perform again?

franny

Diane
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Franny if you're talking about August 1977 just before he died, I'm not absolutely sure but I think he was due to start a new tour the day after he died in Portland, Maine.

Diane

franny
05-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Franny if you're talking about August 1977 just before he died, I'm not absolutely sure but I think he was due to start a new tour the day after he died in Portland, Maine.

Diane

Yes, Diane. That's what I meant. Thanks, for letting me know. :hug:
I just wasn't sure if he was scheduled the day he passed on...

franny

mozzarella
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
The Tour that never was:

17 Aug 8.30pm Portland, ME
18 Aug 8.30pm Portland, ME
19 Aug 8.30pm Utica, NY
20 Aug 8.30pm Syracuse, NY
21 Aug 8.30pm Hartford, CT
22 Aug 8.30pm Uniondale, NY
23 Aug 8.30pm Lexington, KY
24 Aug 8.30pm Roanoke, VA
25 Aug 8.30pm Fayetteville, TN
26 Aug 8.30pm Asheville, NC
27 Aug 8.30pm Memphis, TN
28 Aug 2.30pm Memphis, TN

Diane
05-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you Mozzarella(y)

Diane

elvislady
05-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I read he was due to do a tour and ll his backing singers and band had to be told i think when they were on or boarding the plane that elvis passed away... this was in kathy westmorland book.
elvislady:'(

mozzarella
05-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Thank you Mozzarella(y)

Diane

You're welcome Diane! :)

utmom2008
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I read he was due to do a tour and ll his backing singers and band had to be told i think when they were on or boarding the plane that elvis passed away... this was in kathy westmorland book.
elvislady:'(

Myrna Smith talks about that also in "Down At The End of Lonely Street."

Wendy56
05-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info mozzarella... And by the way, which is the last song of This is Elvis? My father in law wants to know that. I don't really remember the movie, cause saw it years ago. :blink: :P

utmom2008
05-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the info mozzarella... And by the way, which is the last song of This is Elvis? My father in law wants to know that. I don't really remember the movie, cause saw it years ago. :blink: :P

"Memories" is the song playing while the credits are rolling.

Wendy56
05-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the info (y).

rickb
06-01-2009, 01:03 AM
He went to Hawaii in March, not after the June 26 concert

franny
06-01-2009, 01:06 AM
He went to Hawaii in March, not after the June 26 concert

Oops, that's right :blush: thanks.

franny

elvispresleytheking
06-01-2009, 02:46 AM

And the last song you see him sing live is "My Way"
I also know the Colonel was already setting up in Portland when he got the call.

Raised on Rock
06-01-2009, 06:48 AM
And the last song you see him sing live is "My Way"
I also know the Colonel was already setting up in Portland when he got the call.

And between "My Way", and "Memories" you got "American Trilogy" while footage of Elvis funeral.

Although a little dated, a believe This is Elvis, still stands out among Presley's Bio's and documental type movies.

Brian
06-01-2009, 06:59 AM
And between "My Way", and "Memories" you got "American Trilogy" while footage of Elvis funeral.

Although a little dated, a believe This is Elvis, still stands out among Presley's Bio's and documental type movies.

Yeah, I've always liked the film to

I know a lot of fans don't like the film but I thought it was pretty good
I also didn't mind the Elvis voice over which many fans also dislike.

Teddy
06-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Here's the Sheraton hotel where Elvis was due to stay in South Portland.
It's the one which you can see at the start of This Is Elvis, having its windows foiled over. Only Colonel and the first wave of entourage were actually there on the 16th, of course, but Elvis actually stayed at this hotel himself just a few months earlier when he played Augusta. It's very close to the jetport, which probably made this a favorable place to be on these occasions.

And here's the venue he never made it to, also featured in This Is Elvis.
The gig still made money even though it never took place, because almost half of the fans who had tickets wanted to hold on to them as a mementoes instead of getting refunded $15. Smart move, since they're worth a lot more now.

Jungleroom76
06-01-2009, 09:31 PM

I agree completely Raised on Rock!!! (y)

THIS IS ELVIS is indeed a very well done documentary...although I have to say that I personally thought the home video edition, which clocks in at 144 minutes, was a better edit of the movie than the theatrical version. There were parts of Elvis' life which I think were better served by the extra time spent on them in the expanded home video version.

But, regardless of which version you prefer, it was a wonderful thing that Warner Brothers did to release both versions on the DVD release! :D

TCB!
Mike

Raised on Rock
06-01-2009, 10:17 PM

THIS IS ELVIS is indeed a very well done documentary...although I have to say that I personally thought the home video edition, which clocks in at 144 minutes, was a better edit of the movie than the theatrical version. There were parts of Elvis' life which I think were better served by the extra time spent on them in the expanded home video version.

But, regardless of which version you prefer, it was a wonderful thing that Warner Brothers did to release both versions on the DVD release! :D

TCB!
Mike

I do agree, the home video longer version is better, about the DVD, my only disappointment with it was that I did expected, apart from the theatrical release, and the home edition, a new even longer "director´s cut edit" or something of the like, but oh well, you can't have everything.

Raised on Rock
06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I've always liked the film to

I know a lot of fans don't like the film but I thought it was pretty good
I also didn't mind the Elvis voice over which many fans also dislike.

Both from the early 80's: "This is Elvis", as well as "Elvis '56", are to me the best Elvis Bio documentaries ever made to date, both very underrated among fans.

"Elvis Presley" on the Classic Album's TV series is pretty good to.

Anyway, going off topic now, sorry.

Tony Trout
06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
The Tour that never was:

17 Aug 8.30pm Portland, ME
18 Aug 8.30pm Portland, ME
19 Aug 8.30pm Utica, NY
20 Aug 8.30pm Syracuse, NY
21 Aug 8.30pm Hartford, CT
22 Aug 8.30pm Uniondale, NY
23 Aug 8.30pm Lexington, KY
24 Aug 8.30pm Roanoke, VA
25 Aug 8.30pm Fayetteville, TN
26 Aug 8.30pm Asheville, NC
27 Aug 8.30pm Memphis, TN
28 Aug 2.30pm Memphis, TN

Yep, those are the dates - and not intentionally getting this off-topic but the Memphis shows is where Elvis was supposed to have announced his 'engagement' (:lmfao:) to Ginger Alden.

Myrna Smith talks about that also in "Down At The End of Lonely Street."

I still don't have that book, dangit!! I wanna read it so badly! :'(

That is correct....and I love the scene they used from "Elvis On Tour"very with the cape spread. That's one of my very favorite scenes from both "Elvis On Tour" and "This Is Elvis".

Personally, I think that the song, "I'm Leavin'" would've been a better choice for that scene. It was used wonderfully in STAR's 2-DVD set "Love Coming Down", also.

TCB!
Mike

I also completely agree, Mike! I just wish that EPE would do their "Anthology" project that they've been teasing us with for the last few years! But, until then I'll treasure my copy of the 16 -hour DVD set of "The Definitive Elvis". That's probably the closest that we'll come as far as seeing a well though-out and complete bio on Elvis.

The only other thing that irritates the **** out of me is the voice-over by the late Ral Donner....I think they should've used someone like Jimmy Ellis ("Orion") for that.

SHAME ON EPE FOR NOT ENDORSING THE SET AND REMOVING IT FROM THE STORES!! :angry:

utmom2008
06-01-2009, 11:00 PM
But, until then I'll treasure my copy of the 16 -hour DVD set of "The Definitive Elvis". That's probably the closest that we'll come as far as seeing a well though-out and complete bio on Elvis.

Where can I find a copy of that SP?:hmm:

Brian
06-01-2009, 11:20 PM

I also completely agree, Mike! I just wish that EPE would do their "Anthology" project that they've been teasing us with for the last few years! But, until then I'll treasure my copy of the 16 -hour DVD set of "The Definitive Elvis". That's probably the closest that we'll come as far as seeing a well though-out and complete bio on Elvis.

:

I don't think we will ever get the Elvis Anthology

I heard a few years ago when EPE did Elvis by the Presley's they considered that their big anthology project and now consider the whole thing completed and the matter closed.

franny
06-01-2009, 11:22 PM

I would like to know, as well. (y)

franny

Tony Trout
06-01-2009, 11:34 PM

I would like to know, as well. (y)

franny

I got my copy from a lady in Florida (VCD's) but you can probably also find it on Ebay, ladies. :)

franny
06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
I got my copy from a lady in Florida (VCD's) but you can probably also find it on Ebay, ladies. :)

Thank you, Tony. (y)

franny

debtdbruno
06-01-2009, 11:46 PM
It's for sale on amazon.co.uk,.............and .com

Jungleroom76
06-01-2009, 11:46 PM
...my only disappointment with it was that I did expected, apart from the theatrical release, and the home edition, a new even longer "director´s cut edit" or something of the like, but oh well, you can't have everything.

Hmmm...maybe something to look forward to in the future??? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
06-01-2009, 11:50 PM
I also completely agree, Mike! I just wish that EPE would do their "Anthology" project that they've been teasing us with for the last few years!

I have a sneaking suspicion that if we haven't seen it by now, the ANTHOLOGY project probably ranks up there on EPE's list of things to do along with an official ELVIS IN CONCERT release... :'(

But, until then I'll treasure my copy of the 16 -hour DVD set of "The Definitive Elvis". That's probably the closest that we'll come as far as seeing a well though-out and complete bio on Elvis.

That is an AWESOME set Tony...you are 100% right!!! (y)

It's a true shame that the copyright issues the producers ran into caused the set to be pulled and re-edited to take care of those issues. The newly re-edited version isn't as good as the original, in my opinion... :hmm:

Regardless, I definitely recommend the DEFINITIVE ELVIS set to all fans!!! :D

TCB!
Mike