PDA

View Full Version : Red and Joe entering Graceland 1/1/1977..rare?

howardrobardhughes
11-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know the story behind this photo?
Red West and Joe Esposito driving into Graceland Jan.1,1977
TCB
Wade

buttonhead
11-05-2004, 07:45 PM
i dunno wade... maybe they were just having a ride to graceland since EP wanted to meet them there ?

P.S. Annie
11-05-2004, 08:07 PM
i dunno wade... maybe they were just having a ride to graceland since EP wanted to meet them there ?

:lmfao: Just riding there to meet him, well could that be possible? Good one Dessy :lol:

Jungleroom76
11-05-2004, 09:33 PM
GREAT PHOTO WADE -- VERY RARE INDEED!!! ;)

It is a bit strange that Red would be driving up to Graceland in 1977....especially since he was fired in 1976, and was in the process of writing ELVIS - WHAT HAPPENED with Sonny and Dave. I didn't think that Red went back to Graceland again after he was fired.

Is it possible this photo is from January 1st, 1976??? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

hounddogone2000
11-05-2004, 11:37 PM
i think your theory is the most likely jungleroom.

Captain Elwood David
11-06-2004, 04:49 AM
Hey, that's a great pic. Wade, ............. from what I can make out of it.

Let me ask you a question - actually two:

1. What is the source of this photo (if not truly your own)?

2. Are you sure you (or they) are dating it correctly?

On that note, ............. and as I've seen on another thread, ........ it is probably best - not to mention simple courtesy - to give credit as to where you are lifting the pics from (if not actually your own).

-------------------------

I find it hard to believe that it is from Jan. 1977. If it is, ................ an E-mail to either JE or RW would easily clear it up / answer your questions.

- Capt. "EL."

sam
11-06-2004, 08:55 AM
I think they were driving there because it was to far to walk!!! ;) :blush:

:flex:

iamhekev
11-06-2004, 11:19 AM
I think they were driving there because it was to far to walk!!! ;) :blush:

:flex:
From were loon?.

KEV.;)

Sonny
11-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Why should this be a rare picture?

I guess there were quite a lot of people exiting and entering Graceland over the years.

And I wonder (once again) why post all these picture questions in the Elvis section and not in the Picture section?

Sonny

NEA
11-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Red & Joe?......looks like Elvis in the driving seat!

January 1st, 1976 I reckon - safely home from the triumphant Jumpsuit-changing New Years Eve show in Pontiac, Michigan where Elvis performed before his largest single audience!

kennyelvis
11-06-2004, 06:08 PM
To me it look like Sonny west on the left side and Elvis is driving, The west`s and Hebler got fired in august/september 1976, and none of them ever saw Elvis alive again after that, when i first saw that picture i was thinking "1975" to me it look like Elvis is having somthing that look like one of the suits he was using on stage april/may 1975.

spinout-designs
11-06-2004, 06:35 PM
As both NEA and Kenny suggest, it would seem it is Elvis at the wheel in one of his 1975 stage suits.

If that were the case, it certainly wouldn't be the only time he was pictured at the wheel in that suit (check the picture below)

simmerrocks
11-06-2004, 07:05 PM
i love that shot :!: :!: :!: , only our man is cool enough to cruise around town in one of his stage suits ;) . thats all part of the elvis magic :clap: :clap: . rock on... simmerrocks (y)

Captain Elwood David
11-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Good eyes, guys, .............

I do believe you are CORRECT. Looking at that pic. in a larger version ---> it does indeed look like EP in the driver's seat (wearing a stage-type coat).

Outstanding observation. I love it.

- Capt. "EL."

T_J
11-07-2004, 04:35 AM
I think it's Elvis too. The guy in the passenger seat isn't Joe - too much hair on top. Could be Charlie if really taken Jan 1977.

kennyelvis
11-07-2004, 05:40 AM
I think it's Elvis too. The guy in the passenger seat isn't Joe - too much hair on top. Could be Charlie if really taken Jan 1977.

If it was Charlie you would not have seen him :P he is to short (y) but he could be sitting on somthing :clap: :clap:

Scottishthistle
11-07-2004, 03:21 PM
If it was Charlie you would not have seen him :P he is to short (y) but he could be sitting on somthing :clap: :clap:

:lol: :harhar:

Joe Car
11-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Great eye! I'd have to say that it was EP behind the wheel. We all know that he loved to drive.

Jungleroom76
11-07-2004, 10:41 PM
i think your theory is the most likely jungleroom.

THANKS HOUNDDOGONE2000!

Sounds like not only the wrong date, but the wrong people in the car too -- based on the other posts here!! :blush:

TCB!
Mike

simmerrocks
11-07-2004, 10:44 PM
i think poor ol' charlie was in the trunk ;) :angry: :P :D . have a good night, simmerrocks (y) (y)

Lonniebealestreet
11-08-2004, 03:49 AM
:lol:

That was my first reaction: who's gonna take a picture of Red and Joe coming up the driveway?

Captain Elwood David
11-08-2004, 04:23 AM

That was my first reaction: who's gonna take a picture of Red and Joe coming up the driveway?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Well, ............ EP himself said that Charlie Hodge was the best known celebrity @ The Graceland Gates ...........

- Capt. "EL."

howardrobardhughes
11-08-2004, 01:58 PM
And I wonder (once again) why post all these picture questions in the Elvis section and not in the Picture section?

Sonny

Sonny..I only post photos in the standard ELVIS FORUM section when I feel that they are very odd...and need to be opened up for discussion..
Here's another photo..taken moments later..as the car approaches Graceland.
HRH
Wade

howardrobardhughes
11-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Hey, that's a great pic. Wade, ............. from what I can make out of it.

Let me ask you a question - [/B] Are you sure you (or they) are dating it correctly?
I find it hard to believe that it is from Jan. 1977. If it is, ................ an E-mail to either JE or RW would easily clear it up / answer your questions.
- Capt. "EL."
Capt.Elwood..
I was told that these photos were from Jan 1,1977..

Here are a few more from that same date..

TCB
Wade

Captain Elwood David
11-08-2004, 11:58 PM
I only post photos in the standard ELVIS FORUM section when I feel that they are very odd...and need to be opened up for discussion..
Here's another photo..taken moments later..as the car approaches Graceland.
HRH
Wade
Well, ....... I may not have seen them had they not been posted in this section ....... simply because I don't frequent the other FORUMS much.

Capt.Elwood..
I was told that these photos were from Jan 1,1977..

Here are a few more from that same date..
Based upon the error that it is JE doing the driving (when it looks like EP), I wouldn't put much stock in the date being correct either.

---------------------------

I thank you for the additional photos, Wade, ........

Here's another question: Who's the Gate Guard? Photos might be able to be dated based upon this, but ............. I can't help you on this angle.

Always cool, at least for me, to see pics of G-land in the late 70's.

---------------------------

At any rate, for those really burning to know ---> Email JE or RW. Pretty simple.

- Capt. "EL."

Lonniebealestreet
11-09-2004, 12:23 AM
If you do, don't direct them to my post asking who would want their picture. ;)

Regarding that E-quote (something you get online?) about Charlie, Captain, I always interpreted that statement to have something to do with the guitar-playing Elvises in his gate...as if one of them was Charlie. Don't ask me where I get these things...Oh, didn't he say "the most famous person in my gate"? Maybe that's just how I heard it, but that would explain where I got that idea.

Captain Elwood David
11-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Lonnie,

I seem to recall EP introducing Hodge on-stage ................... with the above comments (paraphrased, of course) ..............

It was more than likely a bootleg release ........ but don't hold me to that one ........ since I don't recall exactly which one.

- Capt. "EL."

Lonniebealestreet
11-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Yeah...I am certain it was a Memphis show, because I recall thinking that it was sort of an inside joke for the locals, and I think it was July 5, 1976. If not that one, then June 10, 1975, but I want to say it was the Goodbye Memphis show.

Regardless, the comment left me wondering what he meant. It might not be as ambiguous as I'm making it out to be though.

veronik
11-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Does anyone know the story behind this photo?
Red West and Joe Esposito driving into Graceland Jan.1,1977
TCB
Wade

How do you know is Red and Joe?am I blind>Can't see who's driving :g: :(

Lonniebealestreet
11-09-2004, 02:39 AM
veronik,

Although it's still not real clear, if you click on the image you can view a bigger version, and in it, it actually appears that Elvis is driving and Red is in the passenger seat.

Captain Elwood David
11-09-2004, 02:45 AM
Lonnie,

I was going to say the Memphis show(s) ------> I do believe you have hit the nail on the head.

THANKS!

Will have to give them another spin someday .................. it has been-a-while.

- Capt. "EL."

Lonniebealestreet
11-09-2004, 03:08 AM
You're welcome, and yes, you should! (y)

Jungleroom76
11-09-2004, 07:39 PM

Someone who REALLY NEEDED to use up that last picture on their roll of film!!! :lol:

TCB!
Mike

cowboyjake
05-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Hi --

On January 1, 1977 my wife, my son and I were headed back to Grapevine, Texas, after visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Fayetteville, NC.
We decided to stop at Graceland to get some pictures. It was very cold, and there was snow on the ground. I parked, and my wife and I went
up to the gate (my son wanted to stay out of the cold). There were a few other visitors there as well. I took a few shots of the gate and in a
few minutes the guard came out of the gatehouse and offered to let my wife and me come in, which we gladly did. We stayed inside the gate-
house warming up for a few minutes, and I asked if it would be OK to take a few pictures of the house and grounds. He said it would OK; but
not to go beyond a certain point down the road. I walked as close as I was allowed and took several shots of the house and grounds. As I was
about to head back, a vehicle came in the gate toward me. I quickly took the shot you see above as they passed. I was hoping that one of
them was Elvis, but it wasn't. The car drove on past me without stopping. I walked back to the gatehouse and asked who was in the car. He
informed me it was Red and Joe. He also said that Elvis had just come in 20 minutes before we got there. He was already inside the house!

rickb
05-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Actually looks like Elvis in the shot, don't think it would be Red on that date

hounddog
05-30-2011, 08:37 AM
i to think it's Elvis driving

Joe Car
05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Looks like EP to me!

KPM
05-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Why would someone bring up this "old and very hard to tell whos in the car" photo from an ancient thread? I mean you would really have to dig thru the thread archives to find this.
Everyone can tell its very hard to see whos who in the car-you could say its Springsteen and Clapton and would be as correct.
It does not look like Red is either of the 2, but it could be Elvis driving.
Red was no where near Graceland in 1977.....are we headed for a new controversy???;)

cowboyjake
06-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Hi -- If you're wondering about the authenticity of this and other pictures; you can find some more of
my pictures I took at Graceland on January 1, 1977 on my Graceland website:
http://www.spindle.net/rmenoher/gracland.htm

The woman standing outside the gate is my wife.

On January 1, 1977 my wife, my son and I were headed back to Grapevine, Texas,
after visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Fayetteville, NC.

We decided to stop at Graceland to get some pictures. It was very cold, and there
was snow on the ground. I parked, and my wife and I went up to the gate (my son
wanted to stay out of the cold). There were a few other visitors there as well. I took
a few shots of the gate and in a few minutes the guard came out of the gatehouse
and offered to let my wife and me come in, which we gladly did. We stayed inside
the gatehouse warming up for a few minutes, and I asked if it would be OK to take
a few pictures of the house and grounds. He said it would be OK; but not to go
beyond a certain point down the road. I walked as close as I was allowed and took
several shots of the house and grounds. As I was about to head back, a vehicle
came in the gate toward me. I quickly took the shot you see above as they passed.
I was hoping that one of them was Elvis, but it wasn't. The car drove on past me
without stopping. I walked back to the gatehouse and asked who was in the car.
The guard informed me it was Red and Joe. He also said that Elvis had just come
in 20 minutes before we got there. He was already inside the house.

Elvis had performed the night before (December 31, 1976) at the Civic Center
Arena in Pittsburgh, PA. There are a few videos of it out on YouTube.

cowboyjake

Albert
06-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the story. But since it's your picture, do you happen to have it (or any other in this thread) in a higher resolution? I guess you can scan the originals one more time?

TotallyInsane
06-05-2011, 01:36 PM
The guard in the photo is Fred. Fred became a security guard around a year before or so before Elvis died. He turned out to be a nice guy but when he first came to work there he didn't know much about anything that pertained to Elvis and wasn't too friendly. He did become friendly so I think at first he was scared to death and maybe a little shy. I corrected him on some things that he thought were true but remember he wasn't an Elvis fan so he did have a lot to learn. I do not think the picture is Red - it looks more like Dean Nichopolous to me as he had longer hair and a beard at that time.

Joe Car
06-05-2011, 02:28 PM
The guard in the photo is Fred. Fred became a security guard around a year before or so before Elvis died. He turned out to be a nice guy but when he first came to work there he didn't know much about anything that pertained to Elvis and wasn't too friendly. He did become friendly so I think at first he was scared to death and maybe a little shy. I corrected him on some things that he thought were true but remember he wasn't an Elvis fan so he did have a lot to learn. I do not think the picture is Red - it looks more like Dean Nichopolous to me as he had longer hair and a beard at that time.

I think we can agree that Red is not in that pic. To me, it's Elvis and Joe.

KPM
06-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I think we can agree that Red is not in that pic. To me, it's Elvis and Joe.
That I agree on-and that is the only reason this photo would cause any stir among fans-we all know Red had been fired in 76 and he was indeed not at Graceland after 76-he says so and every book I have ever read says so.

Leroy
06-11-2011, 09:25 PM
The guy in the passenger seat has reddish hear and it seems like a beard. At that time Red didn't have a beard. The driver has dark hair and tinted glasses. He does resemble Elvis, but it couls also be someone like Al Strada.

TotallyInsane
06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
If my memory is correct, this is the kind of car Al Strada had back then. I think it's Al and Dean.