PDA

View Full Version : Graceland

john carpenter
04-17-2009, 06:52 PM
I read Elvis liked the living room that way!Itís debatable whether or not it was Elvisí girlfriend Linda Thompson or Elvis himself that chose the red and gold look for the house Ė but it is said that when Jack Soden visited Graceland in 1981, Aunt Delta told him that "Elvis didnít really like all this red when it was put in. He started using the back stairs so he would not have to look at it. Itís a shame that we cant use all that nice blue and white stuff that was put in storage. Thatís what Elvis really liked and always used". :harhar:

Lonniebealestreet
04-19-2009, 07:34 PM
On a related note, right now Trisha Yearwood is hosting an edition of CMT Cribs featuring Graceland. Turn it on!

See See Rider
04-20-2009, 05:04 AM
I read Elvis liked the living room that way!Itís debatable whether or not it was Elvisí girlfriend Linda Thompson or Elvis himself that chose the red and gold look for the house Ė but it is said that when Jack Soden visited Graceland in 1981, Aunt Delta told him that "Elvis didnít really like all this red when it was put in. He started using the back stairs so he would not have to look at it. Itís a shame that we cant use all that nice blue and white stuff that was put in storage. Thatís what Elvis really liked and always used". :harhar:

David:

Thanks for that piece of info. I never knew that.

john carpenter
04-20-2009, 05:26 AM
On a related note, right now Trisha Yearwood is hosting an edition of CMT Cribs featuring Graceland. Turn it on! yea Lonnie saw that Graceland tour with trisha. It was great!(y)

Jumpsuit Junkie
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I always though that it was Priscilla that changed the way Graceland looked to fit in with the time period that She and Elvis lived together?

MissyM
04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Well dear, what does anyone expect Soden to say? And this coming from Aunt Delta?? Alrighty then. Not to say anything about her, but even if it did come from her...ahhh, you have to consider the women's mind at that time. The bottom line is that the blue fit Priscilla's sense of style and taste. She would have thought the red and gold vulgar and something to be ashamed of. She was also highly jealous of Linda and Elvis's relationship. Why would she not change it to suit her fancy?? She puts her relationship and time with Elvis as the most important in the grand picture. And let's face it, it probably was in a certain way. At times she lives as if they never divorced. Is the result of all of that shocking. Not one bit.

Tony Trout
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Well dear, what does anyone expect Soden to say? And this coming from Aunt Delta?? Alrighty then. Not to say anything about her, but even if it did come from her...ahhh, you have to consider the women's mind at that time. The bottom line is that the blue fit Priscilla's sense of style and taste. She would have thought the red and gold vulgar and something to be ashamed of. She was also highly jealous of Linda and Elvis's relationship. Why would she not change it to suit her fancy?? She puts her relationship and time with Elvis as the most important in the grand picture. And let's face it, it probably was in a certain way. At times she lives as if they never divorced. Is the result of all of that shocking. Not one bit.

Bingo! I agree, Missy! (y)(y)

CRITTERGITTER
04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I really think if Elvis didn't like it, he would have had no problem changing it. He might have let it stay awhile to please Linda, but he would have changed it if he didn't like it.

MissyM
04-20-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure I get the point Critter, not trying to be rude.

dstrattenfan
04-21-2009, 04:58 AM
I really like the red look

CRITTERGITTER
04-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Sorry Missy M. I mean I just don't see Elvis keeping furniture he didn't like. Especially to the point of using the back stairs to avoid it.

dstrattenfan
04-21-2009, 06:12 AM
That is what bothered me about Pris changing Graceland back to how it was when she was there she had no right!!!!!(n)

utmom2008
04-21-2009, 06:34 AM
That is what bothered me about Pris changing Graceland back to how it was when she was there she had no right!!!!!(n)

Just to play "devil's advocate" here for a second....who did have the right to choose which color scheme to use? Lisa was too young at the time...should Jack Soden have done it?

Brian
04-21-2009, 06:41 AM
Just to play "devil's advocate" here for a second....who did have the right to choose which color scheme to use? Lisa was too young at the time...should Jack Soden have done it?

I think Distratten fan means it should've been left alone

You always hear Graceland is exactly like it was when Elvis lived there
that everything is untouched.

Well they could've actually lived up to that by not changing the color scheme.

dstrattenfan
04-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Thank u Brian that was what I ment!;)

May
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM

couldnt agree more.:D

KEVIN WILDE
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I ALSO LOVED THE RED LOOK

beckelvis
04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Thank you for the information very interestig(y)(y)(y)

The Welz
04-21-2009, 02:06 PM
To me it always seemed like Priscilla was changing GRACELAND in a way of "This Is How Elvis Would Have Lived If He Had A Better Taste". I think GRACELAND should be presented in the way it looked when Elvis died. That's how he lived, no matter if he liked the style or not. If I visit a museum I'd like to see how it really was and not how it should have been.

MissyM
04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Sorry Missy M. I mean I just don't see Elvis keeping furniture he didn't like. Especially to the point of using the back stairs to avoid it.

Thanks for the clarification!

utmom2008
04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
To me it always seemed like Priscilla was changing GRACELAND in a way of "This Is How Elvis Would Have Lived If He Had A Better Taste". I think GRACELAND should be presented in the way it looked when Elvis died. That's how he lived, no matter if he liked the style or not. If I visit a museum I'd like to see how it really was and not how it should have been.

I agree with you 100%!(y)(y)

Donut
04-21-2009, 08:59 PM
..."This Is How Elvis Would Have Lived If He Had A Better Taste"

As bad as it may sound that's exactly what it is (n)

Elvis_Lady_1984
04-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I also liked the red. I think Elvis had great style and agree with others that if he didn't like it he would have changed it. Weren't he and Linda together for 5 years? He had plenty of time to do so. I think Priscilla wanted it to be like it was when she was there. I've also heard that she didn't like the jungle room either but had to leave it alone. Imagine that!

Lonniebealestreet
04-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I may have said this before but I think it's funny that the way it is presented now never existed when Elvis was alive. I suppose it isn't hugely significant but the peacock stained glass and the white decor did not coexist, did they? They were both a part of the 1974 redecoration. So what we have now is a hybrid of two eras.

Of course I am pro-red, tacky or not. We have discussed this before but not only would it be nice to see it The Way It Was but it would also be a reason for all fans who have seen Graceland to want to come back, perhaps sooner than they otherwise would.

This would admittedly be considerably more trouble but one option, and this should appeal to those who are concerned about the tackiness factor, would be to restore the red for the Christmas season. But maybe that's too much action for furniture and furnishings that are trying to be preserved. Expense too, of course. I like the idea though...I think someone else may have suggested that a while back.

More on the issue of the red scheme being tacky. While there may have also been a desire to present the mansion the way it was when Priscilla was there, I think this other concern is one that it a lot less relevant now than when they were preparing for public tours in the early 1980s. For one thing, with less than five years having passed, the legacy / mystique / legend etc. had not been solidified like they are today, and so this type of concern seems a bit silly. (Not to mention that there have been plenty of other things Elvis has been ridiculed about and this is very petty in comparison.) The other thing is that in changing the red to white they were basically making the house relatively normal or current for the day. With the passage of time since then and the opening of additional rooms, this no longer applies and the house does seem more like a time capsule. So Let It Be (Him).

One could make the argument that it's nice showing his parents' bedroom as it was in the fifties, the downstairs rooms as they were in the sixties, and the rest of the featured rooms as they were in the seventies. OK, but again there's the white + peacocks issue. And also, until recent years -- someone correct me if I'm wrong -- the estate did not go out of its way to acknowledge that the red color scheme existed. So it's not like that was their plan when they decided to go with the white.