PDA

View Full Version : God Save The King! A Psychobilly Tribute to Elvis

Raised on Rock
04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
For Rockabilly/Psychobilly Fans Only! If you are one, you already love this one! I just got this CD, although it was released in late 2007 on Rockin' Raven Records and its just fantastic, miles away from the Dance music remixes crap thanks God and all Demos, this is 100% attitude , and somehow, still a very unknown Cd, a potential favorite among the younger and the original older Elvis fans. (Well, only if you are into modern rockabilly, if not, have fun with JXL vs Elvis)

Here some reviews:

From Hellbilly Wreckhouse

God Save The King is easily in my top must have's of the year ! How could you go wrong with an Elvis tribute cd done up the psychobilly way? I dare you to not sing along as the legendary Nigel Lewis along with The Tombstone Brawlers do "Blue Moon of Kentucky". Try not to sway your hips too much as the Memphis Morticians cover "King Creole". If this compilation is so good that Cosmic Voodoo went and recorded for the first time in 10 years just to be on it, then you know you need to have it !

Bibb-Hellbilly Wreckhouse,www.subculturecollective.com

Rue Morgue

September 2007

Issue 74

Four Skulls out of Five

"Content-wise, Elvis is usually about as far from Psychobilly as ya can get. But in terms of Sound, he helped shape and popularize rockabilly, so a comp of psycho bands covering The King makes sense. And this thirteen-track, fast-paced bass trip though the Presley catalogue is a bigger blast than popping pills and shooting TV sets. Howlin' highlights include Memphis Morticians adding just the right touch of sinister soul to "King Creole," Guitar Slingers' breakneck version of "C.C. Rider" and a sincere, appropriately twangy take on the funerary "Long Black Limousine," courtesy King Sleaze and Batmobile. However, the crusty, high-energy live version of "Little Sister" best demonstrates the virtues of tearing The King off his throne and dragging him through the gutter. Time to add some sideburns to that pompadour."

From Rockabilly Monthly

5 Stars

One counsel Elvis Aaron left is that youthful ferment can lead to musical acting up -- what the world calls rock 'n' roll. Here, international buzzsaw psycho cells including Batmobile, Guitar Slingers, Memphis Morticians, and Monster Klub re-gard Kingly classics with splenetic favor.

From Big Cheese

VARIOUS
'God Save The King'
(Rockin' Raven)
What's that whirring? It's Elvis spinning in his grave
4/5

A nice little compilation of Psychobilly bands paying their musical tribute to the King. Fittingly there are Psychobilly royalty in the shape of Nigel Lewis and Batmobile holding court has well as a plethora of young pretenders. There are some interesting unholy intercontinental alliances here including super group The Guitar Slingers which makes the album well worth tracking down. Not just your average cobble it together compilation but one that would get the King in a twist for sure.
Simon Nott

Hope you try to get it, hope you like it.

Here is the labelīs link: http://www.myspace.com/rockinravenrecords

Oh yes and here is the track list:

1. Blue Moon of Kentucky - Nigel Lewis with The Tombstone Brawlers
2. (You're The) Devil In Disguise - Spellbound
3. (Now And Then) There's A Fool Such As I - Batmobile
4. Milk Cow Blues - Lucky Devils
5. Bossa Nova Baby - Cosmic Voodoo
6. King Creole - Memphis Morticians
7. Long Black Limousine - King Sleaze with Batmobile
8. CC Rider - Guitar Slingers
9. That's Alright Mama - Monster Klub
10. Viva Las Vegas - Spinballs
11. Little Sister (Live) - Asmodeus
12. Crawfish - Ripmen
13. Happy Endings - Thee Flanders

My favorites: Long Black Limousine, and a song I never thought I could enjoy in any form Bossa Nova Baby!

EnigmaticSun
04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
That's all very interesting, but what is their fascination with death and the devil supposed to mean..?

Raised on Rock
04-09-2009, 08:24 PM
That's all very interesting, but what is their fascination with death and the devil supposed to mean..?

Was that a rhetorical question?

YouTube - Spellbound - (You're The) Devil In Disguise

Albert
04-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Great cd! One of the coolest tributes that I know, thanks for sharing the info (y)

Raised on Rock
04-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Great cd! One of the coolest tributes that I know, thanks for sharing the info (y)

It is, isn't it? It was really refreshing and miles away from the electro & remix that became common place last year.

Anyhow, Elvis contribution to the development of rockabilly music its a big deal, so it was about time, and most appropriate then, a tribute to happen coming from the grand sons of rockabilly, right?

EnigmaticSun
04-21-2009, 08:03 PM
I know a psychobilly band in Germany, they perform Mystery Train and That's All Right Mama among other things. They call themselves "King Creole", but their music seems to be Satan-free though.. :)

Merry
04-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I know a psychobilly band in Germany, they perform Mystery Train and That's All Right Mama among other things. They call themselves "King Creole", but their music seems to be Satan-free though.. :)

Is that like sugar free? :lmfao::lmfao:

EnigmaticSun
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Is that like sugar free? :lmfao::lmfao:

Exactly. If you want to find the devil, get yourself an elementary school or more recent rock music. I think the rock 'n roll music from the 50's was something completely different.

It is actually a lady singing in that band. She's a good drummer too.

Raised on Rock
04-23-2009, 05:31 AM

Well I donīt mind tons of sugar, caffeine and fat, but Satan-free products are most welcome too ha, just kidding.

Hey you got any Youtube links or stuff about that band? would be great to check them, sounds like good stuff.

EnigmaticSun
04-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I think this is it!

YouTube - king kreole suhl schwarzbiernacht 1

I never saw them live, but I got to know about them anyway. I don't know what they're doing right now. I can't afford to sing like that though.