PDA

View Full Version : Standing Room Only FTD 2-CD

my boy
04-03-2009, 07:49 PM
The FTD release “Standing Room Only” has finally been released: In 1972 an album was planned but never saw the light of day, this is the FTD version and it’s not quite the Las Vegas extravaganza we were hoping for. Many fans were hoping for strictly all, ON TOUR live material but this version is true to its original concept: According to the booklet the discovery of a lost RCA file explains the album could have ended up like ‘That’s The Way It Is” with a mix of live and studio material--and this is the album we get--Ernst and FTD have delivered a fine release however and it includes some of the best ever Presley ballads. Cases in point: “Separate Ways,”totally heartfelt and wonderfully sung; “Always On My Mind” is another classic plus the inspirational “Impossible Dream” and that’s just for starters– plus additional live tracks from Las Vegas 1972 to finish CD-1 -- and you have a very enjoyable album.

More standouts on CD-2 include: Ronnie Tutt’s superb drum work on “Always On My Mind” a funky intro to “Burning Love” (take 2) and “Where Do I go From Here” which although not a classic, is better in this fly on-the wall context. Sound is very good, although not as clear as previous releases but with a good booklet which explains the lost album story very well and an interesting collection of songs, it’s the best way to present all the live and studio masters from 1972 -- no real surprises but it works!

my boy
04-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Seems not many people are interested!

latvija
04-08-2009, 08:25 PM
very interesting! thank you

nabelt24
04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm getting it just to keep up with the collection.

See See Rider
04-09-2009, 03:56 AM
a very nice release.

The Welz
04-10-2009, 12:24 PM
This release was written down a lot, but I don't think it is that bad. The sound of the live masters is fresher on BURNING LOVE, but still the new FTD release is worth having.

Please find my own review here:
http://www.dirk-welz.info/ElvisCDFTDStandingRoomOnlyE.html

my boy
04-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Good review weiz(y)