PDA

View Full Version : FRINGE TTWII JUMPSUIT-1970-1 (Different Coloured Beads!! ??)

rex martin
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
(From the files of my 1970s WORLDWIDE ELVIS NEWS SERVICE WEEKLY)
In TTWII the Beads on Elvis' Jumpsuit are Multi-Coloured..
in SEATTLE 12.Nov1970 they look Mostly Green with some Pearl White.

The "ELVIS FRINGE JUMPSUIT"
Did ELVIS have more than One!!!
(TTWII worn, FRINGE JUMPSUIT) ???
How many shows Vegas/Tours -
did it have Different Colour BEADS ???

This is the start of a Discussion between myself and "Jouni" who has made
a detailed study about Elvis' Jumpsuits.

We thought you might Like to join in with any views, information & Close-up Fringe/Beads Jumpsuit pictures....
-------------------------------------------------------------------
As a "jumpsuit junkie" of some sort, for me it's always great to know what suit Elvis wore during his shows, especially when it comes to Vegas/Tahoe ... but I have to admit that I'm having a hard time telling the suits in question on the descriptions. ..... 1971 -August 18th dinner show -> I assume that she is referring to the rare "Knot Suit" (see pictures below), but then again, considering that he was still wearing the "Concho's Suit" during the previous Tahoe engagement, could it be that Elvis actually wore the "Fringe Suit" (from TTWII) during the show?I'm seriously running out of ideas for August 18the midnight show's suit description ..... I suppose that 1971- August 19th midnight show would be the "Turquoise Concho" (aka. "Now Suit"), and the August 20th dinner show again the "Knot Suit" (see pictures above) ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
FRINGE SUIT from TTWII could do with its own topic, as now we have it.

TTWII = MULTI COLOUR'S OF BEADS
1970-SEATTLE = GREEN BEADS ONLY
1971- VEGAS = no beads, ONE SMALL PEARL AT END OF FRINGE.

So its still the same Jumpsuit, you have just done some minor changes to it...

(It actually doesn't take long to re-thread the fringes with different colours, couple of stitches to hold them in place-
or remove them all and either Stitch the small pearl onto the end, or you could just knot the end of the Strands to hold the pearl/bead in place.)

I used to take T-shirts that didn't sell as quick in my shop, and cut the bottom into long tassells, and either knot the bottom, or knot
Two or more strands together, or add some beads.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't go that far ... I can't see Elvis' suit designers doing that kind of small work for his suits. The TTWII "Fringe Suit" he wore during 1970 was always the same, all the way down to the different colour beads ... take a look at the picture below from the 1970 Seattle show... you can definitely see different colour beads. The only changes were that Elvis wore the suit with different colour belts and scarves. ..... The 'real' 1971 'Vegas suit' which people often refer as "(short) fringe suit" is a completely different one (see pictures ), with much shorter fringes, and a small 'knot' (hence the name "Knot Suit") at the end of each fringe. It is more likely that this was the suit that was worn during the 1971 August 18th ds, as well as August 20th ds...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have 40 odd minutes of Super 8mm film from Seattle, Half orig: film, the other half a first Generation
I did the soundstripe for it, which pretty well meant I watched a lot of it Frame by frame. (had a pick from 3 different audience recordings)
It's a pretty close-up movie.. in great seats- the Lighting was nice and bright.

And I can tell you for sure its mostly GREEN BEADS hence the Green Belt.
On pictures its just coloured spotlights reflecting off the shinny light beads,
which is just tricking the Kodak film into capturing an untrue colour

I talked about a Green Shirt picture(orig was a slide) in Aug 72 Vegas special topic about that shirt looking a Dark Resida Green,
when it was really much brighter. (this is a similar situation)

So for me the TTWII and the Seattle are the same suit with different beads, It takes no time at all to change them. (I've actually done it..)
Bill B, was delivering new suits, and repairing old ones all the time, why wouldn't he have picked it up and brought it back a day or so later??
its just an alteration.

The one Maria Chantell talks about, I'm not so sure, because she says Very Short tassels, and TTWII suit I would call medium length, and
the Forum, down right out of this world Ha!

Have another think about it, try to find more pics..So we can study them. I think I have Seattle pics, but not that close, the film is perfect..

Also don't you think a Brand new shirt/jumpsuit/jacket/pants etc.,, just made for Elvis would have sometimes required some sort of Alterations?
Could we say no outfit EVER needed changing? my mum was a dressmaker and it doesn't matter how accurate you are in measuring someone,
it will need re-fitting sometimes.

You also have Elvis' weight ~ going up and down, so something might be to large, or much to tight... Also the problem of having Elvis costumes
cleaned, (and they did need cleaning after each show!!!) this may make some types of materials SHRINK, if you had only worn it a few times
and had just paid $1500-$3000 dollars odd for it, wouldn't VERNON have been right on the phone about getting more value out of it??
-------------------------------------------------------------------From: "Jouni" (3rd Reply)
Alright then ..... after looking at many pictures of Elvis wearing the suit, I'm willing to agree that the beads were indeed altered/changed during 1970 ... in between tours at least, and I'd say it's not that far fetched to say that Elvis could've had another 'identical' version of the suit..... anyway, something that caught my eye was that they (the beads) seemed to be completely different during September 12th afternoon show compared to the August and November pictures... though this might've been because the pictures were not taken by a 'professional', so the used 'light' just made them appear more 'plain' ie. not as colourful as on pictures from the other shows ... this was the show where Elvis wore the "Fringe Suit" with a light blue belt & scarf.

But... about the Seattle show... I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, but I just don't buy it that the beads were only green ones during the show. ..... Here's a close-up version of the same picture I posted earlier, and I can see at least yellow/orange, red and light blue beads in there ... take a look at the beads that are in front of the green belt ... they don't just 'disappear' as one would imagine would happen if they were green... there are also too many different colours to be 'just a light reflecting off the shiny beads' ..... But as I said, I agree that they were altered/changed at some point (possibly even more than once).
The "ELVIS FRINGE JUMPSUIT"
Did ELVIS have more than One!!!
(TTWII worn, FRINGE JUMPSUIT) ???
How many shows Vegas/Tours -
did it have Different Colour BEADS ???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a "jumpsuit junkie" of some sort, for me it's always great to know what suit Elvis wore during his shows, especially when it comes to Vegas/Tahoe ... but I have to admit that I'm having a hard time telling the suits in question on the descriptions. ..... August 18th dinner show -> I assume that she is referring to the rare "Knot Suit" (see pictures below), but then again, considering that he was still wearing the "Concho's Suit" during the previous Tahoe engagement, could it be that Elvis actually wore the "Fringe Suit" (from TTWII) during the show?I'm seriously running out of ideas for August 18th midnight show's suit description ..... I suppose that August 19th midnight show would be the "Turquoise Concho" (aka. "Now Suit"), and the August 20th dinner show again the "Knot Suit" (see pictures above) ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FRINGE SUIT from TTWII could do with its own topic, as now we have it.
TTWII = MULTI COLOUR'S OF BEADS
1970-SEATTLE = GREEN BEADS ONLY
1971- VEGAS = no beads, ONE SMALL PEARL AT END OF FRINGE.

So its still the same Jumpsuit, you have just done some minor changes to it...

(It actually doesn't take long to re-thread the fringes with different colours, couple of stitches to hold them in place-
or remove them all and either Stitch the small pearl onto the end, or you could just knot the end of the Strands to hold the pearl in place.)

I used to take T-shirts that didn't sell as quick in my shop, and cut the bottom into long tassells, and either knot the bottom, or knot
Two or more strands together, or add some beads.

I wouldn't go that far ... I can't see Elvis' suit designers doing that kind of small work for his suits. The TTWII "Fringe Suit" he wore during 1970 was always the same, all the way down to the different colour beads ... take a look at the picture below from the 1970 Seattle show... you can definitely see different colour beads. The only changes were that Elvis wore the suit with different colour belts and scarves. ..... The 'real' 1971 'Vegas suit' which people often refer as "(short) fringe suit" is a completely different one (see pictures on my previous post), with much shorter fringes, and a small 'knot' (hence the name "Knot Suit") at the end of each fringe. It is more likely that this was the suit that was worn during the August 18th ds, as well as August 20th ds...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have 40 odd minutes of Super 8mm film from Seattle, Half orig: film, the other half a first Generation
I did the soundstripe for it, which pretty well meant I watched a lot of it Frame by frame. (had a pick from 3 different audience recordings)
It's a pretty close-up movie.. in great seats- the Lighting was nice and bright.

And I can tell you for sure its all GREEN BEADS hence the Green Belt.On pictures its just coloured spotlights reflecting off the shinny beads,
which is just tricking the Kodak film into capturing an untrue colour

I talked about a Green Shirt picture(orig was a slide) in Aug 72 Vegas special topic about that shirt looking a Dark Resida Green,
when it was really much brighter. (this is a similar situation)

So for me the TTWII and the Seattle are the same suit with different beads, It takes no time at all to change them. (I've actually done it..)
Bill B, was delivering new suits, and repairing old ones all the time, why wouldn't he have picked it up and brought it back a day or so later??
its just an alteration.

The one Maria Chantell talks about, I'm not so sure, because she says Very Short tassels, and TTWII suit I would call medium length, and
the Forum, down right out of this world Ha!

Have another think about it, try to find more pics..So we can study them. I think I have Seattle pics, but not that close, the film is perfect..

Also don't you think a Brand new shirt/jumpsuit/jacket/pants etc.,, just made for Elvis would have sometimes required some sort of Alterations?
Could we say no outfit EVER needed changing? my mum was a dressmakerand it doesn't matter how accurate you are in measuring someone,
it will need re-fitting sometimes.

You also have Elvis' weight ~ going up and down, so something might be to large, or much to tight... Also the problem of having Elvis costumes
cleaned, (and they did need cleaning after each show!!!) this may make some types of materials SHRINK, if you had only worn it a few times
and had just paid $1500-$2000 dollars odd for it, wouldn't VERNON have been right on the phone about getting more value out of it??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright then ..... after looking at many pictures of Elvis wearing the suit, I'm willing to agree that the beads were indeed altered/changed during 1970 ... in between tours at least, and I'd say it's not that far fetched to say that Elvis could've had another 'identical' version of the suit..... anyway, something that caught my eye was that they (the beads) seemed to be completely different during September 12th afternoon show compared to the August and November pictures... though this might've been because the pictures were not taken by a 'professional', so the used 'light' just made them appear more 'plain' ie. not as colourful as on pictures from the other shows ... this was the show where Elvis wore the "Fringe Suit" with a light blue belt & scarf.

But... about the Seattle show... I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, but I just don't buy it that the beads were only green ones during the show. ..... Here's a close-up version of the same picture I posted earlier, and I can see at least yellow/orange, red and light blue beads in there ... take a look at the beads that are in front of the green belt ... they don't just 'disappear' as one would imagine would happen if they were green... there are also too many different colours to be 'just a light reflecting off the shiny beads' ..... But as I said, I agree that they were altered/changed at some point (possibly even more than once).

I've grabbed the 2 pics from the other Topic, used a Picture Restore, and Clarity-Sharpness on them (but no colour changing)
Your right I can see a row of bead in a sort of Orange colour along the bottom of the Fringe -and what looks like a few on the
upper half. Its still Green on the other beads, and you are struck by how Co-ordinated the look is with the
Green Scarf, Green Belt, and mostly Green Beads - someone really thought about this LOOK....
(wasn't Richard Davis in charge of the Wardrobe at this time, did he write a book? or get interviewed?)
20th August 1971 Dinner Show ~ by 'Maria Chantal Riviere' from Paris
Jumpsuit: White Jumpsuit – very similar to the one in TTWII with fringes. But the fringes just had
One small Metal Pearl at the end. A Purple Belt and Scarf also.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"REX" - Reply..
This jumpsuit is very strange, has anyone got any pictures of it?? would love to see something.

The TTWII Jumpsuit, photo in the best Light conditions, would have to be in the Lounge, before Elvis goes on stage.
In this picture with can see at least FIVE COLOURS for the Beads.
PURPLE
RED (some with Orange Tint)
TURQUIOSE
YELLOW
WHITE.(with a Pearl Lustre) so NO 'GREEN' beads then.

(First 2 pictures SEATTLE - 3rd Picture TTWII dressing room)

rex martin
04-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Jouni, I think it's more about THE BEADS and 1970 to 1971, on what happened to this suit.
Lets Just put up loads of fringe pictures, to have a good study at, before we make up our minds....
After all this will be the first time An Elvis Jumpsuit has been looked at from the point of view of CUSTOMIZATION

It's not just Changing the Beads from 1970 to 1971, its also Changing them just in 1970 also.

pictures: TTWII+TTWII:(Multi-Colour-no green)+GRACELAND:+SEATTLE(Green+some light Beads)

elvispresleytheking
04-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Are there any pictures of this suit from 1971?

rex martin
04-04-2009, 03:39 PM
from my 1970s WORLDWIDE ELVIS NEWS SERVICE WEEKLY - I have
several reports of Elvis wearing 2 different fringe jumpsuits in Aug 1971
I have one picture of the Fringe/Knot jumpsuit, in very poor quality.

With many reports in 1970 of the Fringe suit with new or different coloured
Beads, to match the Belt and Scarf for that show (co-ordinated)
The best pics with the Green beads and some other Light ones are from
Seattle 1970, mostly taken by Judy Palmer.

The following by Marie Chantell Riverie (in Paris) Is part of a series of reports
she sent me direct from the International, in letters and Postcards. I also
meet her many times, while putting on Film Festivals in France/Belgium and
also at the MGM Filmed Fan Clubs event in Luxembourg, also talked to several
other French fans that attended the same shows as she did.

Along with Maria Davies, from Liverpool, we pretty well have details of
almost every suit Elvis wore during the August 1971 season.

The February 1971 season is much more of a Black Hole...

1971 VEGAS:
(just the Fringe suits parts below)

18th to 22nd August 1971
(most info from a 3rd report by 'Maria Chantal Riviere' from Paris)
she returned to Vegas on the 18th for both shows that day....

18th August. Dinner Show.1971
Jumpsuit Info: Elvis wore the White Jumpsuit with short fringes, and a Purple Scarf and Belt.
Show Happenings: the Japanese Fan Club are again at this show. They give Elvis – an Umbrella, A Doll and a Necklace.
Song: During SUSPICIOUS MINDS –he let himself down to the floor in a Beautiful and very Spectacular way (Karate movements).

20th August Dinner Show
Jumpsuit: White Jumpsuit – very similar to the one in TTWII with fringes. But the fringes just had One small Metal Pearl at the end.(no Beads) A Purple Belt and Scarf also.
Show Info: This was a really good show much better than 2 days before, and Elvis was smiling more. And the Audience also, when Elvis threw a glass of water on Joe Guercio.
Guitar: Starting this show Elvis is singing THAT’S ALL RIGHT MAMA with a Dark Brown Guitar. (not his usual Yellow one with the name on the Stem)

Pictures= 1st Three from Seattle + One from Vegas TTWII

easyrider
04-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Nice pictures.

Tony Trout
04-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Our very own Leroy has also studied these suits as well and he spoke with Butch Polston from B&K Enterprises a few years ago about the suits and Leroy has a list of the suits and how many copies of the suits were made. There was only one (1) Fringe suit made.

rex martin
04-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Our very own Leroy has also studied these suits as well and he spoke with Butch Polston from B&K Enterprises a few years ago about the suits and Leroy has a list of the suits and how many copies of the suits were made. There was only one (1) Fringe suit made.

If that is so TONY - and I think Butch and yourself are correct, when was
the Jumpsuit -re-customised? and how often did they change the beads
(one show it has no beads with just a single Pearl with a small metal clasp
sewn on the end of each tassel) and also you can count different numbers
of Fringes on each side of the "V" ~ Seattle has Green Beads, but in TTWII
it has 4 to 5 colours and none of them are Green!!

Also how was it changed and when, was it Richard Davis, or did someone
working for Bill B. come and change it!! The fringes changed at least Twice
and possibly as many as 3 or 4 times. So still a lot of things un-answered.

Do you have any good Close up pictures from Vegas and Tours, the more
pictures the easier to sort out what happened to this Fringe Jumpsuit...

Can I go and look at Leroy's List anyplace, would love to compare it to the
information we have been gathering on Vegas/Tahoe 1971.

Many thanks "Tony"

Tony Trout
04-04-2009, 08:07 PM
If that is so TONY - and I think Butch and yourself are correct, when was
the Jumpsuit -re-customised? and how often did they change the beads
(one show it has no beads with just a single Pearl with a small metal clasp
sewn on the end of each tassel) and also you can count different numbers
of Fringes on each side of the "V" ~ Seattle has Green Beads, but in TTWII
it has 4 to 5 colours and none of them are Green!!

Also how was it changed and when, was it Richard Davis, or did someone
working for Bill B. come and change it!! The fringes changed at least Twice
and possibly as many as 3 or 4 times. So still a lot of things un-answered.

Do you have any good Close up pictures from Vegas and Tours, the more
pictures the easier to sort out what happened to this Fringe Jumpsuit...

Can I go and look at Leroy's List anyplace, would love to compare it to the
information we have been gathering on Vegas/Tahoe 1971.

Many thanks "Tony"

Rex,

I'm not clear on when the suit may have been recustomized. Maybe something happened to the fringes in between the August Vegas engagement and Seattle to cause the change in the color of the beads.

I've not been able to locate any good close-up pics of the suit from Vegas or the tours that year.

Leroy has the list in .PDF form. I lost the copy he sent me when I had to reformat my hard drive. :'(:'(

hounddog
04-05-2009, 01:57 AM
"I have one picture of the Fringe/Knot jumpsuit, in very poor quality." Can you share that pic? I always thought he never wore that suit.

rex martin
04-05-2009, 12:23 PM
"I have one picture of the Fringe/Knot jumpsuit, in very poor quality." Can you share that pic? I always thought he never wore that suit.

OK - showing two, you really have to study them closely !!!
And as Marie Chantelle described it so well in August 1971
we do at least know he wore it Once.

rex martin
04-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Rex, I'm not clear on when the suit may have been recustomized. Maybe something happened to the fringes in between the August Vegas engagement and Seattle to cause the change in the color of the beads. ...I've not been able to locate any good close-up pics of the suit from Vegas or the tours that year. Leroy has the list in .PDF form. I lost the copy he sent me when I had to reformat my hard drive. :'(:'(

I tracked down a copy of Leroy's list (1968 to 1977)

Reproducing the 1970 below. - It seems the list is a few years old -
and several more up-to-date lists have been done by Fans with a
specialized interest in Elvis' Outfits.
(Haven't seen them yet, but should have them shortly)

GREYSCALE version + NEON BLUE VERSION. 1970 Only..