PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion on FTD's

utmom2008
03-18-2009, 12:46 AM
I have been looking at several of the studio FTD's and was hoping you all could give me some different opinions.:hmm:

Tell me about the "Jungleroom Sessions", "Elvis Country", "That's the Way It Was" and any others that you might like.

Also....does anyone have "Spinout"? I noticed that it has a longer version of "Tomorrow is a Long Time"....I LOVE that song!(y)

KPM
03-18-2009, 12:54 AM
I have been looking at several of the studio FTD's and was hoping you all could give me some different opinions.:hmm:

Tell me about the "Jungleroom Sessions", "Elvis Country", "That's the Way It Was" and any others that you might like.

Also....does anyone have "Spinout"? I noticed that it has a longer version of "Tomorrow is a Long Time"....I LOVE that song!(y)
I have "Spinout" the original Album, and that song is over 5 minutes-but I am not sure if an FTD release has a longer version than on the original.

utmom2008
03-18-2009, 01:01 AM
I have "Spinout" the original Album, and that song is over 5 minutes-but I am not sure if an FTD release has a longer version than on the original.
I have that original album too, it might be the same length. It made me remember how much I liked it though!:D

Brian
03-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Well I don't like FTD's as the outtakes of songs aren't as good as the masters in most cases.

midnight
03-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Rosanne, I have "The Jungle Room Sessions" FTD and I love it. It is a must have for all Elvis fans. I do not think you would be disappointed with it. Just knowing the story behind those sessions make it special. You can hear the emotion in Elvis' voice when he sings and some of the parts when he speaks in between songs is very emotional. I love "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" and "It's Easy for You".
That is really the only FTD I have. I have "Elvis Country" but it is the original album. I love that album so I am sure I would love the FTD.
Hope I was of some help. Kim

midnight
03-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Well I don't like FTD's as the outtakes of songs aren't as good as the masters in most cases.

Oh Brian....why did I think you would not like FTDS.:lol: Surprise, surprise!

Brian
03-18-2009, 03:38 AM
Oh Brian....why did I think you would not like FTDS.:lol: Surprise, surprise!

if we all liked the same things life would be boring

if you didn't like FTD's I wouldn't say anything about it to you

molokai123
03-18-2009, 03:45 AM
Let's see there are a lot of good FTD's the jungle room sessions is a great cd you wont be dissapointed, That's the way it is needs no explanation it's great!!(y) Elvis Country is also a very good CD all these are highly recommended!! other FTD's like raised on rock,The nashville marathon, the Elvis is back,Love letters all great cd's, as far as live stuff All the las vegas 1969 stuff is great although they all have similar set lists they are all great as Elvis never played the song the same each time he performed it and the TCB Band were just rockin!!! One night in vegas,Polk salad annie,the memphis concert and others are all great cd's!! So you have a lot of great options enjoy!!!:lol::king:

midnight
03-18-2009, 03:46 AM
if we all liked the same things life would be boring

if you didn't like FTD's I wouldn't say anything about it to you

I agree with you Brian, the world would be boring and we would not have anything to tease you about!:lol:

Brian
03-18-2009, 04:03 AM
I agree with you Brian, the world would be boring and we would not have anything to tease you about!:lol:

I don't like being teased or ganged up on by the people on this board

Scotty Moore has said he doesn't like the fact that outtakes of the songs Elvis recorded are being released because those songs were suppose to hit the garbage can and were never intended for release. He went on to say that Elvis wouldn't like them being released either.

I agree with Scotty though Sony BMG only releases them because there is an audience for it and if people like them and want to collect them that's fine with me.

I don't have to listen to them or collect them if I don't want to.

I'm also not going to say FTD's are great when I don't feel that way.

utmom2008
03-18-2009, 05:29 AM

Really????:hmm::hmm:
You sure seem to enjoy setting yourself up for it.:doh:

LtCarman
03-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Well guys, he is entitled to his own opinion.

Brian
03-18-2009, 06:04 AM
Really????:hmm::hmm:
You sure seem to enjoy setting yourself up for it.:doh:

not at all

I've just giving my opinion and then all of a sudden they'll be one or 2 posters maybe more who will smart off or put me down just for giving my point of view.

Now I could get really angry and become their worst nightmare but I try to be more mature than the people who personally attack me.

If your reply was meant to be funny it wasn't.

Now as for your original post and what FTD's you might enjoy that depends on what you like
best if you like the early 70's best get Elvis Country if you like Elvis later sessions get the jungleroom sessions.

rhythmknights
03-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Scotty Moore has said he doesn't like the fact that outtakes of the songs Elvis recorded are being released because those songs were suppose to hit the garbage can and were never intended for release. He went on to say that Elvis wouldn't like them being released either.

I agree with Scotty though Sony BMG only releases them because there is an audience for it and if people like them and want to collect them that's fine with me.

I don't have to listen to them or collect them if I don't want to.

I'm also not going to say FTD's are great when I don't feel that way.

i remember commenting on that in "the thread that disappeared". i understand why Scotty Moore felt that way. artists go in and esp. Elvis, from what i've read, really put his heart & soul into creating a perfect take. however, IMO, esp. now that Elvis is dead, these outtakes are what give us insights to how he worked, the atmosphere that was created & just the kind of performer/musician he was. and for that matter, i would think that a lot of wanna-be guitarists are looking at Scotty's outtakes to learn from the master.

now then, Roseann, how ya doing? i noticed that theElvis Country FTD has added my new favorite T-R-O-U-B-L-E. if you get it, let me know how you like it. i have Viva Las Vegas, and i love it, esp since it has You're the Boss! hot, hot, hot! I also have the one that has AYLT with him laughing all through the song, and Cissy Houston just a singing away! I can't remember the title. well, i'm at work, and i should look like i'm actually working :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

utmom2008
03-18-2009, 07:53 AM
If your reply was meant to be funny it wasn't.

It wasn't meant to be funny at all...that's exactly how I see it.;)

Brian
03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
It wasn't meant to be funny at all...that's exactly how I see it.;)

well your wrong

you said you wanted different opinions on FTD's so I gave you a different opinion on them.

I think it's perfectly alright if we don't agree or all like the same things and have differing views on what songs,movies, performances etc. were the best.

I know there are posters on this board that don't like my opinions or point of view and want me to tow the line and agree with everyone else that the 69 Memphis sessions are best Elvis ever did and that Peter Guralknick is the best writer ever but I just don't feel that way. I'm not going to say I do when I don't and if that causes some people to get upset so be it.
So if people want to continue to make negative comments towards my opinions that's fine but be warned if you do my gloves might come off.

Elvis Girl
03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
FTD's are wonderful and some are great.
i think Tomorrow is a Long Time runs like 5 minutes and thirtythree seconds
and there is a spinout FTD!
i love both Elvis ftds and masters etc.
you find things etc either not known or stuff that makes u giggle at times on the different out takes if u look hard eough lol! plus his home made recording he did out of the studio are fab i think! love them all etc!

ehollier
03-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Rosie, I have THE MEMPHIS SESSIONS and it is the best thing I've ever purchased. The alternate takes on it are really good, but the best part is hearing THE VOICE up front and unadorned without the strings, background vocals and horns. I promise, you won't regret this purchase.

Lonniebealestreet
03-18-2009, 03:14 PM
IMO strong consideration should be given to Elvis On Tour The Rehearsals. It's basically essential for too many reasons to name.

Some people don't like hodge-podge FTDs but I think Made in Memphis is a nice collection of songs, covering the American, Stax, and Jungle Room sessions as well as the Thompson home recordings. Some really fine outtakes here.

I Sing All Kinds could also be considered hodge-podgy :lol: due to the material itself (hence the title) but all tracks come from Nashville '71. Early Morning Rain is just fantastic and the early take of I'm Leavin', while rough around the edges, is both interesting and beautiful.

Nashville Marathon is very good. Note if you pick up TTWII that this one becomes less essential due to the repeated tracks.

Ditto 6363 Sunset if you pick up Today. One way or another though you need to hear those delicious alternate tracks from '75.

And for that matter, Made in Memphis I believe has a couple tracks that you will hear on Raised On Rock. ROR has a lot of unheard stuff and a lot of cussing, just FYI, which normally I get a kick out of hearing but not so much on this release. Elvis really sounded pretty down and in that context it was less enjoyable. Not something I have listened to since I got it, I don't think. But that's just me.

Contrast that with The Jungle Room Sessions. As mentioned by others, this is a very enjoyable release, especially if you're into that material. But even if you're not, I think it will at least make you view it more positively. The excessive overdubs originally applied to those songs were not done to cover subpar singing, and to these ears Elvis sounded in far worse condition in the July Stax sessions.

BTW, everyone is entitled to an opinion but all voluntarily posted opinions are obviously up for evaluation. And no more threats, thanks.

Lonniebealestreet
03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
OK, my suggestions were all from the 70s :)

To round out my response a bit, let me give honorable mentions to Memphis Sessions (deserving of greater than honorable mention status, admittedly); So High; if you like gospels you might check out the poorest selling FTD, Easter Special; Elvis Is Back!; and the Viva Las Vegas soundtrack.

Getlo
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Scotty Moore has said he doesn't like the fact that outtakes of the songs Elvis recorded are being released because those songs were suppose to hit the garbage can and were never intended for release.

Please.

Scotty's only pissed off because he doesn't get any royalties from the outtake releases.

If he did, he'd be loving FTD!

Lonniebealestreet
03-18-2009, 03:39 PM
I am sure that's true but I'd like to think there is also the professional concern there. It's like how Marty Pasetta wasn't crazy about the Aloha rehearsal show seeing the light of day; to him, there were all these technical imperfections but considering the quality of the performances, the high quality of the audio and the video (and the relative rarity of such video especially) and that Elvis isn't around any longer, no way that wasn't going to happen. If anything, it's surprising that it took as long as it did to come out.

That's the way all these outtakes are, and it's why people buy soundboards and even audience recordings of concerts.

In my opinion studio outtakes are invaluable. Even if we have heard the song before, in some cases perhaps the best take wasn't used as the master. Even when that doesn't apply there are many, many ones that are nearly as good. And in all cases, it is nice to hear new material, it is cool to see the evolution of songs, the absence of overdubs is almost always a plus, and the studio banter that we sometimes get is a nice treat.

Anyway :P, maybe Scotty doesn't like to hear his messups or playing that he considers subpar.

And while I agree that Elvis back then would never have expected his outtakes to see the light of day -- think of what all we'd be missing if he had -- I think that if he could have an opinion now (whatever that means) he would like that such material has added so much to his catalogue and given his fans considerable enjoyment.