PDA

View Full Version : Some missed hits

Brian
03-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi everybody

I've been thinking recently of a few missed hits Elvis had early on in his career that shouldn't have been.

1.The First hit that he missed was a song called ''Danny'' that was written by Ben Weisman for the movie King Creole but it ultimately wasn't used. Since the song was never used in the film or on the soundtrack it should've been released as as single in 1958 but went unreleased for 20 years. Conway Twitty retitled the song ''Lonely Boy blue'' and released the song in 1960 where he had a top 10 hit with it.

2.Elvis went to Nashville to record a few songs before going into the Army and one of those songs was ''Aint that Loving you baby''. This song could've been a possible #1 had it been released as a single in 1959 and to me it's strange this song was never released as a single in 1959 since RCA only released 2 singles that year.

3.''Wooden Heart'' is a song from Elvis very popular 1960 film Gi Blues. The song was released as a single internationally and hit #1 in just about every country in the world but wasn't released in the U.S. It's odd RCA didn't release this song in the U.S. since every Elvis film I can think of had a single released from it. Singer Joe Dowell heard the song in the film where he then covered in and had a #1 hit with it in August of 1961.

4. The song ''Suspicion'' was an album track for Elvis 1962 album pot luck. singer Terry Stafford heard the song off the album and covered the song
in 1964 where he had a #3 hit even during Beatlemania. The song had definate hit potential seeing as how it was a big hit during the time when the Beatles were knocking American artists off the radio and off the charts so if RCA had released this song as a single in 1962 I think it would've been a #1 record.

5. Elvis had planned on releasing a cover of Chuck Berry's song ''Memphis'' as a single but wasn't satisfied with his May 1963 recording of it so he tried again during January of 64. Elvis never did release his version of Memphis as a single so singer Johnny Rivers beat him to the punch and had a #2 hit with the Chuck Berry favorite in 1964. I think if Elvis had come up with a good recording of the song and released it as a follum up to Devil in Disguise in 63 Elvis would've had a top 5 and maybe a #1 record.

There you have it 5 big hits that Elvis missed due to the incompetency of RCA to release them.

I always wished these song were released during the years that I mentioned so Elvis wouldn't of missed out of 5 million selling big hit recordings.

I just had to get this off my chest.

Does anyone agree with me that these songs should've been released as singles?

dj_ethan
03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I Agree ! This Is A list Of The Lost Singles Deleted By RCA

One Night / I Beg Of You

Make Me Know It / Fame And Fortune

Bossa Nova Baby / Memphis, Tennessee

Fool / Where Do I Go From Here

The Impossible Dream / An American Trilogy

Help Me Make It Through The Night / The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

My Boy / Lovin' Arms

Let Me Be There / Little Darlin'

From Joseph A. Tunzi

Getlo
03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
''Danny''. Conway Twitty retitled the song ''Lonely Boy blue''

''Suspicion''. Singer Terry Stafford heard the song off the album and covered the song.

No on both counts.

hounddog
03-16-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't think Danny would have been a hit either,

Dino78
03-16-2009, 11:31 AM
So do I hounddog.
"Suspicion" maybe had became a hit when it had been released ealier.

SleepyJack
03-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Of the songs that you`ve mentioned only "Aint that lovin` you baby" would strike me as being really strong single material.... I can`t see the song "Danny" being a great choice as a single,especially in the `50s when Elvis had so many really strong songs released.

Brian
03-16-2009, 05:53 PM
No on both counts.

I agree that Danny is not as strong as the other songs but considering Elvis popularity at the time it probably would've been top 20 maybe top 10

Suspicion that's a quality recording that record should've been released as a single.

Brian
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Of the songs that you`ve mentioned only "Aint that lovin` you baby" would strike me as being really strong single material.... I can`t see the song "Danny" being a great choice as a single,especially in the `50s when Elvis had so many really strong songs released.

All those songs had hit potential

they were released by other artists after RCA didn't release them as singles and became big hits.

SleepyJack
03-19-2009, 03:49 PM
You asked the question...I gave you MY answer,MY opinion......I never claimed to be RIGHT or WRONG.