PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore 1977

moody-blues67
03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Is there any pictures from Elvis bad day in Baltimore 1977.

Tony Trout
03-14-2009, 02:57 PM
You can find pictures here:

Baltimore, MD May 29, 1977 (http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/c770529.htm)

moody-blues67
03-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Thank you Tony :king:

Dino78
03-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Here are some others

moody-blues67
03-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Thank you Dino

Unchained Melody
03-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Not one of our mans best days..

EnigmaticSun
03-14-2009, 09:14 PM
It was an interesting concert nevertheless - some surprises, Elvis on guitar.. I would prefer to attend this over an appearance from the 50's. But hey, I'm a 70's fan.

moody-blues67
03-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Iīm also a Elvis 70s fan !!!

LtCarman
03-14-2009, 09:40 PM
What made this concert stand out from all the other not-so-good 1977 concerts?

Dino78
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Glenn you're right it wasn't Elvis in his "best" shape. But I think the worst was his concert in Hollywood, FL on February 12, 1977.

Unchained Melody
03-15-2009, 12:20 AM
What made this concert stand out from all the other not-so-good 1977 concerts?

The fact that elvis left the stage in the middle of the show and had Charlie introduce the band members and came back minutes later and said nature called. According to John Wilkinson Elvis looked over at him with the mic away from his face and said something along the lines of "sometimes it just f***ing hurts"....That tells you the state Elvis was in. Obviously, by May of '77, all the pills, especially downers Elvis had taken for so long had almost completely shut down his digestive system.

Unchained Melody
03-15-2009, 12:21 AM
It was an interesting concert nevertheless - some surprises, Elvis on guitar.. I would prefer to attend this over an appearance from the 50's. But hey, I'm a 70's fan.

Hey, I'm a fan of Elvis' whole life, not just one time period inparticular, but to choose Baltimore 1977 over a 1950's performance, just unheard of...:blush:

elvispresleytheking
03-15-2009, 03:58 AM
Hey, I'm a fan of Elvis' whole life, not just one time period inparticular, but to choose Baltimore 1977 over a 1950's performance, just unheard of...:blush:

I agree, though I could see that with his very last show... 6/26/77

elvispresleytheking
03-15-2009, 04:00 AM
The fact that elvis left the stage in the middle of the show and had Charlie introduce the band members and came back minutes later and said nature called. According to John Wilkinson Elvis looked over at him with the mic away from his face and said something along the lines of "sometimes it just f***ing hurts"....That tells you the state Elvis was in. Obviously, by May of '77, all the pills, especially downers Elvis had taken for so long had almost completely shut down his digestive system.

I think he was actually in slightly better shape for the June 77 tour, i heard that for the May-June tour, the idea of the Memphis Mafia was to get him onstage, and make sure he could stand upright for the hour he was scheduled to perform, then lead him away.

The Welz
03-15-2009, 05:46 AM
That's what it looks like. The Baltimore show was really bad, although Elvis tried hard to cover the shape he was in. He did a lot of unusual songs, but nevertheless it was obvious in what state he was in. On the other hand he delivered some solid shows during his May tour, too. Binghampton and Rochester were quite good and showed Elvis in a clear state of mind and in good voice.

Tony Trout
03-15-2009, 06:57 AM
I think he was actually in slightly better shape for the June 77 tour, i heard that for the May-June tour, the idea of the Memphis Mafia was to get him onstage, and make sure he could stand upright for the hour he was scheduled to perform, then lead him away.

I disagree here. In 1977, Elvis shouldn't have been onstage at all. He should've been in a hospital.

And as far as the Memphis Mafia wanting to get him onstage - that wasn't their doing. That was all Colonel Parker's fault. He reportedly said to them one night when Elvis wasn't in good shape: "I don't care what you have to do! All that matters is that he is on that stage tonight!"

:blink::angry:

And those smileys I used were in regards to Parker's comments about getting Elvis onstage no matter the cost. They weren't directed at any other comments whatsoever.

Jumpsuit Junkie
03-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Baltimore was a bad show, but then again so was most of 1977 when compared to 1970 so I guess in some regards we cut him some slack because we know of his health issues.

Personally I think Elvis was really bad in 1976 apart from the odd show here and there :supriced:

italianfan
03-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Personally I think Elvis was really bad in 1976 apart from the odd show here and there

I agree, for me 1976 is my least favorite year. Poor to average shows and imo horrible jumpsuits.

Jumpsuit Junkie
03-15-2009, 09:54 PM
I agree, for me 1976 is my least favorite year. Poor to average shows and imo horrible jumpsuits.

Agreed, the Jumpsuits worn in 1976 do little to to enhance Elvis' appearance in most cases, although he had moments where he looked better.....

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/files/8/3/5/s76112901.jpg

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/files/1/9/2/3/s76122901.jpg

elvispresleytheking
03-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I disagree here. In 1977, Elvis shouldn't have been onstage at all. He should've been in a hospital.

And as far as the Memphis Mafia wanting to get him onstage - that wasn't their doing. That was all Colonel Parker's fault. He reportedly said to them one night when Elvis wasn't in good shape: "I don't care what you have to do! All that matters is that he is on that stage tonight!"

:blink::angry:

And those smileys I used were in regards to Parker's comments about getting Elvis onstage no matter the cost. They weren't directed at any other comments whatsoever.

What I meant by that was what they had to do, from orders by COlonel Parker. He should've been in the hospital at the time, but I think at the same time, in an odd way, he liked doing the concerts.

rickb
03-16-2009, 05:16 AM
The concert would rate down there with Omaha a few weeks later. Most of the photos i have seen from the show are not too bad for the era, certainly not as bad as Feb 12

EnigmaticSun
03-16-2009, 05:44 PM
The appearance was one thing. Still even the February shows were worth attending (who would want to miss out on "Where No One Stands Alone"?). I don't care if his looks would offend anyone, but I'm familiar with the phenomenon called social pressure. :)

Whether a 70's show would be worth attending compared to one from the 50's; well, that's for me to know and for you to find out. Well.. actually.. I guess you already know, but you get the point!

Elvis is not exactly my type and he doesn't need dashing looks to impress me. That's what I meant.

javierTCB
03-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Is there any pictures from Elvis bad day in Baltimore 1977.

Here is may 29, Baltimore, MD, at Civic Center.
Donīt forget the bootleg of this show "Send Me The Light...I Need It Bad" from Grotti Records released in 1994.

Tracklisting of this show.The choir sings while Elvis is off stage :

C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman/Amen
That's All Right
Are You Lonesome Tonight
Blue Christmas
Heartbreak Hotel
Love Me
Jailhouse Rock
You Gave Me A Mountain
Danny Boy (S. Nielsen)
Walk With Me(S. Nielsen)
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
Walk That Lonesome Road (Stamps)
My Heavenly Father (K.Westmoreland)
One Night
My Way
Band Introduction
Early Mornin' Rain
What'd I Say
Johnny B .Goode
School Day
Hurt
Hound Dog
Can't Help Falling In Love.

elvispresleytheking
03-17-2009, 02:08 AM
The concert would rate down there with Omaha a few weeks later. Most of the photos i have seen from the show are not too bad for the era, certainly not as bad as Feb 12

I am amazed on how much his looks had changed since the last pix. of him that I've seen were taken on Jan. 3, 1977

Getlo
03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I would prefer to attend this over an appearance from the 50's..

Unbelievable. ;)

EnigmaticSun
03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Unbelievable. ;)

Yeah, what a pervert I am. :supriced:

The 50's are cute, I know. The 70's Elvis is more like a challenge to me.

His balance between weak and strong is also interesting to study.