PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the Elvis Holy Grail Would Be ?

dj_ethan
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Some Says Opening Show 69 Vegas Can Be The Next Holy Grail After " My Happiness"
What do you think the Elvis Holy Grail Would Be ? ...

elvispresleytheking
02-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Definitely opening show, also if there were any home videos (with sound), of Elvis playing the piano and singing, especially on the morning of his death.

mozzarella
02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
I'd see home videos of Elvis singing and playing the piano... also a professionally filmed show from the '70s. (which I doubt)

Getlo
02-26-2009, 11:38 PM
This was previously discussed in detail here:

http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=17902&highlight=holy+grail

Elvis and the Beatles jamming during their meeting. No question, this would be the biggest Holy Grail of all. And it would certainly be worth the most money if it existed ... which it doesn't.

My Happiness never really was a Holy Grail because it was only a matter of time before the tape was found. And it certainly can't be considered a Holy Grail now.

shelley.m.
02-27-2009, 02:49 AM
I totally agree with Getlo about the Beatles meeting Elvis.That would have been something else to see and hear.

elvispresleytheking
02-27-2009, 05:15 AM
I totally agree with Getlo about the Beatles meeting Elvis.That would have been something else to see and hear.

I agree, for some reason, that missed my mind.

Raised on Rock
02-27-2009, 06:31 AM
The Beatles Jam if that ever happened.

Also other home recordings of Elvis singing and jamming with other artists, although that depends on who the other artist is, example: Elvis with Tom Jones, that one won't do as Holy Grail, no matter how big Tom's voice range was.

Audience recording from Vegas 1969 opening night. Any tape from the rehearsals too?

New discovered Sun Recordings that supposedly happened. (I Got a Woman, Satisfied)

Any live or live/radio recordings from the Sun period.

Audio from a complete fall 1957 show.

Audio from the 1961 Memphis shows.

Any pro footage with audio from a live show from '56-'57. (Totally unlikely)

Rehearsals for the sit down '68 comeback shows on VIdeo, where Elvis is already jamming on the ring but wearing the denim outfit. (pics below)

Audio from the two lost press conferences: the '68 comeback special one, and the vegas opening night in '69 ones. (And i believe there was another brief press conference around '69 featuring Elvis with Chips Moman I believe.)

Sheila
02-27-2009, 10:30 PM
It would be all the 50's concert film with sound! And available on Dvd's!!:blush:

molokai123
02-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Opening night 1969,or even the first rehearsals for the 69 engagment.

rickb
02-28-2009, 04:02 AM
The Beatles jam would be No.1.
It would be interesting to hear him playing piano and singing the night he died

hounddog
03-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I remember reading that Elvis used to sing on radio as a kid in Tupelo now that would be wonderous to find tapes of that. If it's in fact true that this happened

javierTCB
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I vote, between all historic treasures of Elvis, for:
- Elvis sing "Old shep" at Tupelo Fair in 1945 live at WELO radio show.
- Beatles Jam.
- Opening Night 69 and
- The last concert from soundboard of june 26, 1977.

laura17
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
pied piper of cleveland...elvis real first film.

Getlo
03-02-2009, 09:51 AM
The Beatles Jam if that ever happened.

There's no "if" about it. It happened.

And i believe there was another brief press conference around '69 featuring Elvis with Chips Moman I believe.

This did not happen.

rocknroll
03-03-2009, 01:47 AM

Not according to Paul, George and Ringo.

Raised on Rock
03-03-2009, 02:12 AM

This did not happen.

Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Star are on video stating that they never jammed with Elvis. My source: The Beatles Anthology DVD set. They do say, maybe John did.

Quoting Guralnick on the liner notes from the Memphis 1969 Anthology 2CD set, James Kingsley from the Memphis Commercial Appeal (I got the wrong idea, you are right: no, it was not a press conference, it was a one man interview) did interviewed Chips and Elvis at the American Sound Studio. No audio has ever surfaced, chances are, there was no audio recorded at all, same as the '68 NBC press conferences and the '69 Vegas comeback ones.

Holly Grail to me if any audio from those interviews ever appear.

shelley.m.
03-03-2009, 03:12 AM
It would be all the 50's concert film with sound! And available on Dvd's!!:blush:

(y)I agree with you there,Sheila.(y)

hounddog
03-03-2009, 04:14 AM
yes Pied Piper of Cleavland would be great

nabelt24
03-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Pro video footage from his 1974 concert album, "Recorded Live Onstage In Memphis" in its entirety. This, for me, would be incredible.

KPM
03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Star are on video stating that they never jammed with Elvis. My source: The Beatles Anthology DVD set. They do say, maybe John did.Quoting Guralnick on the liner notes from the Memphis 1969 Anthology 2CD set, James Kingsley from the Memphis Commercial Appeal (I got the wrong idea, you are right: no, it was not a press conference, it was a one man interview) did interviewed Chips and Elvis at the American Sound Studio. No audio has ever surfaced, chances are, there was no audio recorded at all, same as the '68 NBC press conferences and the '69 Vegas comeback ones.

Holly Grail to me if any audio from those interviews ever appear.
Here are some quotes they gave about that meeting-which evidently contradicts what they say in the Anthology:
PAUL He showed us in. He just looked like Elvis - we were all major fans, so it was hero worship of a high degree. He said, "Hello, lads - do you want a drink?" We sat down and watched telly, and he had the first remote any of us had ever seen. You just aimed it at the telly and - wow! That's Elvis! He was playing Charlie Rich's "Mohair Sam" all evening - he had it on a jukebox.

JOHN He had his TV going all the time, which is what I do; we always have TV on. We never watch it - it's just there with no sound on, and we listen to records. In front of the TV, he had a massive amplifier with a bass plugged into it, and he was up playing bass all the time with the picture up on the TV. So we just got in there and played with him. We all plugged in whatever was around, and we played and sang. He had a jukebox, like I do, but I think he had all his hits on it. But if I'd made as many as him, maybe I'd have all mine on.

PAUL That was the greatest. Elvis was into the bass, So there I was, "Well, let me show you a thing or two, El..." Suddenly he was a mate. It was a great conversation piece for me. I could actually talk about the bass, and we sat around and just enjoyed ourselves. He was great. Talkative. Friendly and a little bit shy. But that was his image. We expected that, we hoped for that.

KPM
03-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Heres a recollection of Johns at another time:
However, Elvis tried to make us feel at home. He sat - Paul and me on one side of him and Ringo on the other. George sat cross-legged on the floor. A huge color television was on in the middle of the room with the sound off, while a record player was playing the latest tunes. We could have just walked in on an average Elvis-at-home evening. Elvis obviously liked to treat everybody he met the same, whoever they were. He finally broke the silence that had fallen over the room.
"Look, guys," he said, "if you're just going to sit there and stare at me, I'm going to bed." He smiled, and we all laughed. "Let's talk a bit, huh?" he went on. ``And then maybe play and sing a bit?"
That's just what we all wanted to do, and you could feel the tension in the room begin to ease. One of Elvis's staff brought us drinks, but while we all drank scotch-and coke or bourbon-and-Seven Up, Elvis only had Seven Up.
He didn't touch any of the cigarettes that were offered around, either. After a bit Elvis said, "Somebody bring in the guitars." Again one of his men jumped up, and within moments three electric guitars had been plugged into the amplifiers in the room.
Elvis took a bass guitar, and I took a rhythm guitar. Elvis obviously wasn't that familiar with his instrument, so Paul gave him some instructions.

"Here's how I play the bass," he said, strumming a few chords. ``It's not too good, but I'm practicing."George was busy looking over his instrument, and it was a few minutes before he joined in. If I remember correctly, it was Cilla Black's hit record "You're My World" that we first got off together.

After that I said, "This beats talking, doesn't it"--and we had at last found a way of communicating through music.

Only Ringo looked a bit down. He could only watch us and drum on the side of his chair.
"Too bad we left the drums in Memphis", Elvis said, as if trying to console him.

After a while, Paul put down his guitar and went over to the large white grand piano that stood in a corner by the bar. He began to pick out some notes and we got into one of the Shadows tunes.
http://www.theholidayspot.com/elvis/rendezvous.htm
Strange so many conflicting stories.?

Raised on Rock
03-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Heres a recollection of Johns at another time:
However, Elvis tried to make us feel at home. He sat - Paul and me on one side of him and Ringo on the other. George sat cross-legged on the floor. A huge color television was on in the middle of the room with the sound off, while a record player was playing the latest tunes. We could have just walked in on an average Elvis-at-home evening. Elvis obviously liked to treat everybody he met the same, whoever they were. He finally broke the silence that had fallen over the room.
"Look, guys," he said, "if you're just going to sit there and stare at me, I'm going to bed." He smiled, and we all laughed. "Let's talk a bit, huh?" he went on. ``And then maybe play and sing a bit?"
That's just what we all wanted to do, and you could feel the tension in the room begin to ease. One of Elvis's staff brought us drinks, but while we all drank scotch-and coke or bourbon-and-Seven Up, Elvis only had Seven Up.
He didn't touch any of the cigarettes that were offered around, either. After a bit Elvis said, "Somebody bring in the guitars." Again one of his men jumped up, and within moments three electric guitars had been plugged into the amplifiers in the room.
Elvis took a bass guitar, and I took a rhythm guitar. Elvis obviously wasn't that familiar with his instrument, so Paul gave him some instructions.

"Here's how I play the bass," he said, strumming a few chords. ``It's not too good, but I'm practicing."George was busy looking over his instrument, and it was a few minutes before he joined in. If I remember correctly, it was Cilla Black's hit record "You're My World" that we first got off together.

After that I said, "This beats talking, doesn't it"--and we had at last found a way of communicating through music.

Only Ringo looked a bit down. He could only watch us and drum on the side of his chair.
"Too bad we left the drums in Memphis", Elvis said, as if trying to console him.

After a while, Paul put down his guitar and went over to the large white grand piano that stood in a corner by the bar. He began to pick out some notes and we got into one of the Shadows tunes.
http://www.theholidayspot.com/elvis/rendezvous.htm
Strange so many conflicting stories.?

Yep, I've read this recollection too, and also members from the Memphis Mafia had stated that they did jammed. Yet, oddly enough, there is also a Paul McCartney, a George Harrison and a Ringo Star, denying on film that a proper jam ever happened.

So, parting from those two contradictory statements from the Beatles themselves, I chose the sentence: "IF that ever happened", as more appropriate, than rather unidirectionally deny or affirm that jam happening.

Getlo chooses to believe in life that jam happening as a matter of fact, thatīs all right with me.

P.S. There is a difference between having a conversation guitars in hand, exchanging guitar riffs, singing lines of songs, as part of the chat, than actually be there jamming as be there making music (Million Dollar Quartet like). Perhaps, the first thing happening its recollected as be there jamming for some people, not at all a jam for others.

YouTube - Beatles talking about meeting Elvis

Getlo
03-04-2009, 10:09 AM
also members from the Memphis Mafia had stated that they did jammed.

Getlo chooses to believe in life that jam happening as a matter of fact, thatīs all right with me.

Correct. The jam had been talked about since not long after the meeting.

There is a difference between having a conversation guitars in hand, exchanging guitar riffs, singing lines of songs, as part of the chat, than actually be there jamming as be there making music

Please. :rolleyes:

JOHN: So we just got in there and played with him. We all plugged in whatever was around, and [B]we played and sang.

Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Star are on video stating that they never jammed with Elvis.

And I'll take John's word for this event, thank you.

Raised on Rock
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
And I'll take John's word for this event, thank you.

Well as Paul said, maybe John did, maaaybe baby. Anyhow, John's quotes on reality haven't really been my choice, not even in Beatles related issues, up to you.

But back on topic, yes, the so called Beatles/Elvis jam is definitively to be considered as Holly Grail. I can't see any chances of that tape ever surface, if in fact there is one, but if it does, I do see on it: big potential of being disappointing.

I rather go for Elvis early radio appearances '54-'55 as my Elvis Holy Grail.

Not saying I wont be interested in the Elvis meet Beatles charade if its ever released.

ehollier
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Professional recorded (audio and visual) footage of July 31, 1969!!!!!!!!