PDA

View Full Version : Debate about Elvis' Weight

SeeSeeRider777
02-26-2009, 03:41 AM
Ok Ladies and Gents, I have simply been saying that Elvis looked pudgy for the 1972 MSG show when he wore the Double Porthole suit. He didnt look like that in the other shows at MSG but he did for this one.

Video:
YouTube - Elvis Presley live at Madison Square Garden: Proud Mary

I am just saying. People lets keep this a name calling, swear free thread! We can debate like adults.

elvispresleytheking
02-26-2009, 03:51 AM
Okay, I'm wondering if it is the suit? Like look at the differences between Buffalo (4/5/72) and San ANtonio (4/18/72), but then Elvis looked thinner for the next show in ALbequerque. Overall, he seemed heavier after the summer of 1971, not as in fat, but just as in a larger body frame, which seems weird.

SeeSeeRider777
02-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Attn to all potential posters: I AM NOT SAYING ELVIS WAS OVERWEIGHT! All I said was that he was a little pudgy and I find it weird that he looked so different within a matter of days.

Like Nixon said "I want to make this perfectly clear!" :D

LtCarman
02-26-2009, 04:05 AM
In my opinion, he just had low metabolism. For example, like me, I can be stick thin, but once I've had a small plate of food, a small belly pops up.

elvispresleytheking
02-26-2009, 04:09 AM
Attn to all potential posters: I AM NOT SAYING ELVIS WAS OVERWEIGHT! All I said was that he was a little pudgy and I find it weird that he looked so different within a matter of days.

Like Nixon said "I want to make this perfectly clear!" :D

I didn't mean it like that.

elvispresleytheking
02-26-2009, 04:09 AM
In my opinion, he just had low metabolism. For example, like me, I can be stick thin, but once I've had a small plate of food, a small belly pops up.

Might be true.

SeeSeeRider777
02-26-2009, 04:11 AM
I didn't mean it like that.

That wasnt addressed to you. I was just letting everyone know ahead of time.

LtCarman
02-26-2009, 04:13 AM
And also, there are some other instances where Elvis would look pudgy, but not "fat." I think it is just normal human nature. You can't be stick thin 100% of the time. Especially at 37.

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/files/1/7/4/8/1972_20adonis_20a.jpg

SeeSeeRider777
02-26-2009, 04:32 AM
He just looked like that in that one concert, not in the others IMO.

elvispresleytheking
02-26-2009, 04:37 AM
That wasnt addressed to you. I was just letting everyone know ahead of time.

Ok, just had to make sure.

TotallyInsane
02-26-2009, 04:42 AM
I sure wish my hubby looked that pudgy!!! :lmfao::lmfao:

Merry
02-26-2009, 04:46 AM
And also, there are some other instances where Elvis would look pudgy, but not "fat." I think it is just normal human nature. You can't be stick thin 100% of the time. Especially at 37.

Oh yum!!!

SeeSeeRider777
02-26-2009, 04:50 AM

Arrrrrgh! **** all I am saying is that in the video he looked a little..................

Ahh nevermind. LOL

medleyofcostumes
02-26-2009, 07:44 AM
I think that sometimes videos and photographs may give the wrong impression. You can see a photo and say "Oh how he looks awful". Then you view another photo and say "He looks fine in this photo". Then you realise that these photos were taken from the same show while singing the same song!

Even video wise - Let's move to 1977 - the CBS Special. Watching Elvis sing 'My Way' and sing 'Hound Dog' is a different experienced. He looks relatively ok during 'Hound Dog' and definetely not well during 'My Way'. Remember these were shot during the same show.

The angle of shooting also makes a difference. Shooting from below may emphasise the chin. Even lighting can affect. I always considered Elvis looking pale and the face bloated during EOT. It could be that he was slightly bloated in the face, but it also may be that since filming was taking place there were more lights on him, making him look pale.

LtCarman
02-26-2009, 07:55 AM
I think that sometimes videos and photographs may give the wrong impression. You can see a photo and say "Oh how he looks awful". Then you view another photo and say "He looks fine in this photo". Then you realise that these photos were taken from the same show while singing the same song!

Even video wise - Let's move to 1977 - the CBS Special. Watching Elvis sing 'My Way' and sing 'Hound Dog' is a different experienced. He looks relatively ok during 'Hound Dog' and definetely not well during 'My Way'. Remember these were shot during the same show.

The angle of shooting also makes a difference. Shooting from below may emphasise the chin. Even lighting can affect. I always considered Elvis looking pale and the face bloated during EOT. It could be that he was slightly bloated in the face, but it also may be that since filming was taking place there were more lights on him, making him look pale.

Yes, you also have a very good point. I have heard from Tony that the lights MGM had used to film the Hampton Roads concert caused Elvis to look very pale, but even then, there is really no way of knowing unless you were actually there to see it in person.

Getlo
02-26-2009, 01:02 PM
the lights MGM had used to film the Hampton Roads concert caused Elvis to look very pale.

Yes, but that didn't hide the fact that he was decidedly pudgy for this show.

In both April and June 1972, Elvis' drug regimen led to some wild fluctuations in weight - or at least the appearance of such - so you can have him looking fine one day, and less so the following day.

Such is the case with NYC.

And certainly On Tour. Why the producers chose to use Hampton Roads for the bulk of the movie has always been beyond me. Yes, he was great vocally, but his appearance wasn't the best.

He was far better looking in San Antonio, but only a few songs were used. A shame, really.

epmoodyblue
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
he looked just fine..perfection thank you very much:notworthy who the heck cares thin pudgy whatever..elvis reigned supreme the besthttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gif

brf1964
02-26-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree with you epmoodyblue.
After all, he was only human.

beckelvis
02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
I agree with you brf1964 first of all he was a human being.And that more gives like to be,THE KINGDOM for being as is and nothing more.

elvispresleytheking
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM

In both April and June 1972, Elvis' drug regimen led to some wild fluctuations in weight - or at least the appearance of such - so you can have him looking fine one day, and less so the following day.

And certainly On Tour. Why the producers chose to use Hampton Roads for the bulk of the movie has always been beyond me. Yes, he was great vocally, but his appearance wasn't the best.

He was far better looking in San Antonio, but only a few songs were used. A shame, really.

I believe the performance was best for Hampton Roads, though I wouldn't mind more Richmond.

ehollier
02-26-2009, 07:39 PM

Personally, I thought, of all the shows chosen for clips of EOT, Hampton Roads was the best one. San Antonio and the other shows, showed an Elvis that was just as pale and slightly bloated, but his drug regimen was apparent in his face, eyes. In Hampton Roads, at least his hair looked clean and styled and his eyes were a bit clearer and brighter than the other shows.

Cryogenic
02-26-2009, 08:04 PM

Well, if we're micro-analysing ...

If you look at how far Elvis' crotch extends (yes, I really just wrote that), his abdomen is barely any further forward. The difference is small to negligible. What adds to the impression he has a "paunch" or whatever is the heavy metal belt, which hangs slightly off his waist.

Really, by almost any definition, that's a great shot (in my opinion). Most 37-year-olds would kill to look even half as good. Then again, I'm only 25, so what do I know? ;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, if we're micro-analysing ...

If you look at how far Elvis' crotch extends (yes, I really just wrote that), his abdomen is barely any further forward. The difference is small to negligible. What adds to the impression he has a "paunch" or whatever is the heavy metal belt, which hangs slightly off his waist.

Really, by almost any definition, that's a great shot (in my opinion). Most 37-year-olds would kill to look even half as good. Then again, I'm only 25, so what do I know? ;)

I was thinking the same, Elvis looks great here :blink:

The porthole/Eyelet suit looks different from many angles for the most part he looks good in this...

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/9/1972DoublePortholeTommyTCB5.jpg

Cryogenic
02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Lovely picture, JJ.

Diane
02-27-2009, 12:52 AM
I love that picture as well Matt and Elvis did look great at that time. The Porthole is one of my favorite suits.

Diane

LtCarman
02-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Personally, I thought, of all the shows chosen for clips of EOT, Hampton Roads was the best one. San Antonio and the other shows, showed an Elvis that was just as pale and slightly bloated, but his drug regimen was apparent in his face, eyes. In Hampton Roads, at least his hair looked clean and styled and his eyes were a bit clearer and brighter than the other shows.

I love the conflict in opinions.

KPM
02-27-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't see any real difference in his look for the MSG shows.
I think everyone has days where they look near perfect-they feel good, rested strong-stand tall and erect.........then the day after, they did not sleep as well, feel a little off, they don't stand as tall and the whole look is different.

Unchained Melody
02-27-2009, 02:52 AM
I with many of you agree, that Elvis looks great here in the MSG clip..imo, every show from EOT we have of Elvis he looked pretty good, abit pale in Hampton Roads but not bad at all.

shelley.m.
02-27-2009, 02:56 AM
I agree with you epmoodyblue.
After all, he was only human.

(y)Exactly(y)

LtCarman
02-27-2009, 03:27 AM
I with many of you agree, that Elvis looks great here in the MSG clip..imo, every show from EOT we have of Elvis he looked pretty good, abit pale in Hampton Roads but not bad at all.

Wow, you are alive. Glad to see you again.

Anyways, yes, he was only human. No one can be perfect all the time.

franny
02-27-2009, 03:35 AM
I don't see any real difference in his look for the MSG shows.
I think everyone has days where they look near perfect-they feel good, rested strong-stand tall and erect.........then the day after, they did not sleep as well, feel a little off, they don't stand as tall and the whole look is different.

Yes, true KPM. Plus, a wide belt can make the mid-section look bigger...not saying he looked big, as he looked great to me! :notworthy:king:

franny

ehollier
02-27-2009, 03:46 AM
I love the conflict in opinions.

Well, it is not my intention to start an argument with Getlo. That's why its an opinion. This conclusion of mine was one that I had long before this thread and subject had been brought up. I've always wondered why Elvis looked like he hadn't washed his hair in the concerts other than Hampton Roads.....its not in its usual pristine form. In Hamption Roads, his coif is combed and looks clean and somewhat styled, unlike the other shows.

His eyes in the other shows look almost black and blurry, which I always attributed to the drugs he was ingesting at this time and the colors he wore on stage (except the white jumpsuit). But in all of the shows, his eyes tell us everything we need to know about what is happening in his life.

He was always pale in all of these shows which again reflect the drug regime and inactivity (he probably spent all of the February and March in his bedroom (i.e. dark), when not performing in Vegas) of that particular year. As we see in June for MSG, in Aloha, the Comeback Special, a little time in the sunshine will do wonders for him.

And he was slightly puffy for this tour. He was NOT overweight in any manner of speaking. No doubt the drugs, grueling tour schedule and terrible diet took an incredible toll on his body, both physically and mentally.

LtCarman
02-27-2009, 03:59 AM
Well, it is not my intention to start an argument with Getlo. That's why its an opinion. This conclusion of mine was one that I had long before this thread and subject has been brought up. I've always wondered why Elvis looked like he hadn't washed his hair in the concerts other than Hampton Roads.....its not in its pristine form. In Hamption Roads, his coif is combed and looks clean and somewhat styled, unlike the other shows.

His eyes in the other shows look almost black and blurry, which I always attributed to the drugs he was ingesting at this time and the colors he wore on stage (except the white jumpsuit). But in all of the shows, his eyes tell us everything we need to know about what is happening in his life.

He was always pale in all of these shows which again reflect the drug regime and inactivity of that particular year. As we see in June for MSG, in Aloha, the Comeback Special, a little time in the sunshine will do wonders for him.

And he was slightly puffy for this tour. He was NOT overweight in any manner of speaking. No doubt the drugs, grueling tour schedule and terrible diet took an incredible toll on his body, both physically and mentally.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

ehollier
02-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Yes, true KPM. Plus, a wide belt can make the mid-section look bigger...not saying he looked big, as he looked great to me! :notworthy:king:

franny

You know, you're so right Franny. Those enormous belts that he wore, whether it be the gold belt given to him by the International Hotel or the massive jumpsuit belts, they just added so much girth to his tall frame.

Take Aloha for example. He was so incredbly slim, probably near the same weight as the Comeback Special, but if you compare a photo of each show, Aloha with the heavily studded and jeweled jumpsuit and massive belt compared to the black leather suit in 1968, those jumpsuits and matching belts add so much weight to his slim body. There is a picture of Elvis accepting an award backstage in Hawaii and, goodness, he is so slim and almost looks underweight. But later that same evening, in his jumpsuit and belt, he looks much heavier. As he got older and began to have some serious medical issues, those belts only magnified the problems around his middle. If you look at some of the pictures in 75, 76, 77, his legs are so very slim, but his middle looks painfully distended and uncomfortable.

franny
02-27-2009, 04:18 AM
You know, you're so right Franny. Those enormous belts that he wore, whether it be the gold belt given to him by the International Hotel or the massive jumpsuit belts, they just added so much girth to his tall frame.

Take Aloha for example. He was so incredbly slim, probably near the same weight as the Comeback Special, but if you compare a photo of each show, Aloha with the heavily studded and jeweled jumpsuit and massive belt compared to the black leather suit in 1968, those jumpsuits and matching belts add so much weight to his slim body. There is a picture of Elvis accepting an award backstage in Hawaii and, goodness, he is so slim and almost looks underweight. But later that same evening, in his jumpsuit and belt, he looks much heavier. As he got older and began to have some serious medical issues, those belts only magnified the problems around his middle. If you look at some of the pictures in 75, 76, 77, his legs are so very slim, but his middle looks painfully distended and uncomfortable.

Exactly, Liz. (y) It's why I never wear thick belts :lol: just kidding! But, yes as you mentioned, when looking at different pics, you can really see the difference...

franny

ehollier
02-27-2009, 04:28 AM
Exactly, Liz. (y) It's why I never wear thick belts :lol: just kidding! But, yes as you mentioned, when looking at different pics, you can really see the difference...

franny

You know Franny, it makes complete sense to me as I am overly cautious about what I wear, whether it's slimming or does it do just the opposite, if the color is going to make me look thinner, style and whether or not it is the best for my short frame.....Apparently, Elvis didn't worry about any of that and now we spend evenings debating whether nor not he was fat, puffy, too thin, too pale, etc, etc.......

SeeSeeRider777
02-27-2009, 04:37 AM
I wasnt trying to start a conflict everyone. I just made a comment that he looked pudgy. What aI mean is that he looked a little big. Not overweight. You didnt see a belly but he looked a little bigger. I asked why because he looked so different days before.

Elvis always amazed me on his apperance. It was like there was a different person at each show.

ehollier
02-27-2009, 04:41 AM
I wasnt trying to start a conflict everyone. I just made a comment that he looked pudgy. What aI mean is that he looked a little big. Not overweight. You didnt see a belly but he looked a little bigger. I asked why because he looked so different days before.

Elvis always amazed me on his apperance. It was like there was a different person at each show.

I stick by my original statement that he was slightly puffy for this tour. He was NOT overweight in any manner of speaking. No doubt the drugs, grueling tour schedule and terrible diet took an incredible toll on his body, both physically and mentally. One could go even farther and say the personal issues he was experiencing at this time also contributed to his radically changing features.

Joe Car
02-27-2009, 05:22 AM
I stick by my original statement that he was slightly puffy for this tour. He was NOT overweight in any manner of speaking. No doubt the drugs, grueling tour schedule and terrible diet took an incredible toll on his body, both physically and mentally. One could go even farther and say the personal issues he was experiencing at this time also contributed to his radically changing features.

Well said!

ehollier
02-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Well said!

Thank you.;)

ehollier
02-27-2009, 05:34 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Then why didn't you just say it......;)

LtCarman
02-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Then why didn't you just say it......;)

I'm watching you.

http://www.robbooth.net/images/masonsquinting.jpg

ehollier
02-27-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm watching you.

http://www.robbooth.net/images/masonsquinting.jpg

Well, I can tell you that I've gone to bed with happier thoughts, Carmen......:blink:......but thanks for the vote of confidence.......:blink: :blink: :blink:

TotallyInsane
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm about to go to my son's wedding in a week. Now, let's see, my middle is a little pudgy now days, I've not been outside cause it's been cold so I'm a little pale, and my dress has a buckle right in the front of the mid-section. Lordy, I guess I already know what's gonna be said about me...:lmfao::lmfao:

But, seriously, is there "one" man here at 37 that looked like he did when he was 22? All men get "thicker" with age...if you don't believe me pull out your photo albums and take a look. The picture you see in the mirror is not the one you'll see in those old photos!!

Diane
02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
There is also the simple matter of how not getting a good night's sleep can affect your looks. Most people will look "puffy" and pale when that happens.

Diane

Donut
02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
The only "problem" I see with him during that time is he looks pale but I find it strange that many think he looked great in 69 and 70 when he was obviously under his ideal weight :doh:(though I think he always had a beautiful face)

Tony Trout
02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
*rant on*

I absolutely despise/dislike threads like this....

Why? Simply because you're basically 'tearing Elvis apart' and saying that he wasn't able to gain weight like any normal human being does as they get older....

*rant off*

Diane
02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
*rant on*

Why? Simply because you're basically 'tearing Elvis apart' and saying that he wasn't able to gain weight like any normal human being does as they get older....

*rant off*

Ah but that's the trouble Tony, too many fans did expect Elvis to be perfect like a god in every way and weren't able to accept that he was just like everyone else.

Diane

Cryogenic
02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
*rant on*

*rant off*

It all gets a bit much, Tony.

Not just threads like this.

Debates on songs, concerts, jumpsuits, movies etc.

They all seem to dredge up the same tired points.

I understand what you mean. Entirely. Sadly, it seems the nature of the beast.

utmom2008
02-27-2009, 06:36 PM
But, seriously, is there "one" man here at 37 that looked like he did when he was 22? All men get "thicker" with age...if you don't believe me pull out your photo albums and take a look. The picture you see in the mirror is not the one you'll see in those old photos!!

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Tony Trout
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Ah but that's the trouble Tony, too many fans did expect Elvis to be perfect like a god in every way and weren't able to accept that he was just like everyone else.

Diane

It all gets a bit much, Tony.

Not just threads like this.

Debates on songs, concerts, jumpsuits, movies etc.

They all seem to dredge up the same tired points.

I understand what you mean. Entirely. Sadly, it seems the nature of the beast.

I agree with all three of y'all.

KPM
02-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I know for my part I am not trying to tear Elvis apart in threads like this.
I give my opinion and reasons why I came to that opinion.
I do not deny any of Elvis's faults or his human frailities although I will definitely give possible reasons that "all humans" may have them.
I see the other side of the equation-if we deny that his faults and frailities do not follow the same traits as other humans-is that not also incorrect?

Cryogenic
02-28-2009, 02:18 AM
I do not deny any of Elvis's faults or his human frailities although I will definitely give possible reasons that "all humans" may have them.
I see the other side of the equation-if we deny that his faults and frailities do not follow the same traits as other humans-is that not also incorrect?

That is entirely ...... correct.

And, all too often, this is lost sight of (or deliberately distorted), when people talk about Elvis' limitations and frailties.

A lot of people seem to think that he let them down, somehow. Probably because they lump their hopes and dreams onto him and skew accordingly, especially where he reputedly "failed".

Nothing nasty has been said here. But we can be guilty of contributing to this nastiness with unguarded remarks and exaggerated appraisals. He requires and deserves more thoughtful, moderate commentary. One day, maybe we'll all have the sense to start making it.

SeeSeeRider777
02-28-2009, 06:06 AM
*rant on*

*rant off*

All I was saying was that he looked a little big in the Porthole Jumpsuit and the next day he didnt look like that. Was I tearing him apart? No. It was just a simple comment. Did I call him fat, overweight? No. If I did then yes that would be tearing him apart. This is a forum, we debate about things. You cannot agree with everyone and if you do then this place would be boring. At TCB-World we discuss Elvis and every aspect of his life. If you do not like these threads, then stay out. Simple.

The Welz
02-28-2009, 06:52 AM
When I read threads like this, I get the strong impression that there are many people around here, who idolize Elvis a little too much. They get mad, if someone dares to criticize the King.

I think that in 1972 Elvis slowly but surely entered the phase of his life, where his abuse of medication became visible. It is known that some of the medication he took made him look bloated. That's why his face looks a little puffy during some of the shows, while he looked a lot slimmer during others. It was simply the side effect of drugs. I know that some of you have a problem with the fact that your great and beloved idol was addicted, but thats the way it was.

But that doesn't make him a bad singer or entertainer. And that's the reason I am an Elvis-fan: Because of his singing.

The concert in Hampton Roads was great. He sang great and was obviously enjoying himself. The Madison Square Garden shows are a little bit rushed to my ears, although the concerts were performed with a lot of steam. I surely would have enjoyed them.

But once again to some of you out there: Don't get :cursing: each and every time someone is not positive about Elvis. Maybe some of the members of this message board dare to think for themselves and are still owning a working brain. Fan or not: Dare to use it.

LtCarman
02-28-2009, 07:23 AM
When I read threads like this, I get the strong impression that there are many people around here, who idolize Elvis a little too much. They get mad, if someone dares to criticize the King.

I think that in 1972 Elvis slowly but surely entered the phase of his life, where his abuse of medication became visible. It is known that some of the medication he took made him look bloated. That's why his face looks a little puffy during some of the shows, while he looked a lot slimmer during others. It was simply the side effect of drugs. I know that some of you have a problem with the fact that your great and beloved idol was addicted, but thats the way it was.

But that doesn't make him a bad singer or entertainer. And that's the reason I am an Elvis-fan: Because of his singing.

The concert in Hampton Roads was great. He sang great and was obviously enjoying himself. The Madison Square Garden shows are a little bit rushed to my ears, although the concerts were performed with a lot of steam. I surely would have enjoyed them.

But once again to some of you out there: Don't get :cursing: each and every time someone is not positive about Elvis. Maybe some of the members of this message board dare to think for themselves and are still owning a working brain. Fan or not: Dare to use it.

Agreed. And, if we always say positive things about Elvis, we get accused of wearing "rose-colored glasses."

utmom2008
02-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I know that some of you have a problem with the fact that your great and beloved idol was addicted, but thats the way it was.
But that doesn't make him a bad singer or entertainer.

Nor does that make him a bad person.:blush::blush::blink:

Diane
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
[/b]

My exact thought Rosanne, you just beat me to it! (y)(y)(y):D

Diane

midnight
02-28-2009, 08:59 PM
[/b]

(y)(y)(y)(y)

KPM
02-28-2009, 10:44 PM
As long as Elvis is not held to a higher standard than all humans-I have no problem with anything said about him regarding the negatives.
But I think at times "some" do hold him more accountable, as if he should have been above faults/weaknesses.
Also most know I believe that childhood history and your genetic inheritance play a huge role in who we all become and I consider that when discussing negatives for anyone.

cibetty
02-28-2009, 11:47 PM

Take Aloha for example. He was so incredbly slim, probably near the same weight as the Comeback Special, but if you compare a photo of each show, Aloha with the heavily studded and jeweled jumpsuit and massive belt compared to the black leather suit in 1968, those jumpsuits and matching belts add so much weight to his slim body. There is a picture of Elvis accepting an award backstage in Hawaii and, goodness, he is so slim and almost looks underweight. But later that same evening, in his jumpsuit and belt, he looks much heavier.

I also noticed this Liz!!! I really couldn't believe those pic were made in 73. By the way I think he looked great in the Aloha show, I'm sure he lost much weight before this concert. You thought about these pics I think:

ehollier
02-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I also noticed this Liz!!! I really couldn't believe those pic were made in 73. By the way I think he looked great in the Aloha show, I'm sure he lost much weight before this concert. You thought about these pics I think:

Yes Betti - these were the pictures I was referring to. He looks nearly underweight here, but in his Aloha suit, he is considerable thicker only because of the suit and enormous belt.

cibetty
02-28-2009, 11:52 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cibetty
03-01-2009, 12:02 AM

I absolutely agree with you Gail!! (y) (y) (y) A mature man, who is close to 40, can't look as a 20 year-old guy. Of course it is the same with women. LOL...

midnight
03-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Most men I know at 40 got a "dicky do"! But not Elvis!

By the way do anyone know what a "dicky do" is? It is when your belly sticks out farther than your dicky do! :lmfao::lmfao: Sorry girls I could not resist!

Cryogenic
03-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Elvis' regular stage attire -- i.e. big shouldered, jewel-encrusted jumpsuits with thick "championship" belts -- DID make him look 10-20 lbs heavier.

He clearly was much slimmer in reality. The backstage Aloha photos are a powerful testament to this fact.

Don't forget about the two piece leather suits briefly worn on stage in August 1974, either:

cibetty
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Yes Betti - these were the pictures I was referring to. He looks nearly underweight here, but in his Aloha suit, he is considerable thicker only because of the suit and enormous belt.

Yes, Liz! He looked very thin there, even in white suit, what can makes you look thicker. In the 68 Comeback and in 69 I think he looked more thinner because of the black color.

SeeSeeRider777
03-01-2009, 12:11 AM
In those pics right there it is like it is 1968 Elvis but it is from 1973.

When did he train to get into shape for Aloha?

utmom2008
03-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Most men I know at 40 got a "dicky do"! But not Elvis!

By the way do anyone know what a "dicky do" is? It is when your belly sticks out farther than your dicky do! :lmfao::lmfao: Sorry girls I could not resist!

Here in Texas we call that the "Dunlap Disease"....meaning your stomach has "done lapped" over your belt.:lmfao:

midnight
03-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Elvis' regular stage attire -- i.e. big shouldered, jewel-encrusted jumpsuits with thick "championship" belts -- DID make him look 10-20 lbs heavier.

He clearly was much slimmer in reality. The backstage Aloha photos are a powerful testament to this fact.

Don't forget about the two piece leather suits briefly worn on stage in August 1974, either:

I totally agree with you there! Everytime I see him in that leather suit I am amazed at how slim he looked!

utmom2008
03-01-2009, 12:14 AM

Didn't he just starve himself for a few weeks before?:hmm::doh:

midnight
03-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Here in Texas we call that the "Dunlap Disease"....meaning your stomach has "done lapped" over your belt.:lmfao:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: Omg that is too funny! We also call it "Eating Disease"!:lmfao::lmfao:

ehollier
03-01-2009, 12:32 AM

Ya'll have that too??????? :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

cibetty
03-01-2009, 12:41 AM

I don't see he is fat, nor pudgy in this picture. I only can see a healthy man, who looked so great and happy. :'( :'( :'( And really many men in his 30s (even in his 20s) can be envious of his shape.

cibetty
03-01-2009, 12:57 AM

I'm sure he prepared for that show Rosanne. It meant a lot to him, I'm sure he was aware that almost the whole world would be able to watch him. I also wondered how he did it... I think he was in really great shape to a 38 year-old mature man.

Miss Clawdy
03-01-2009, 01:12 AM

I agree with you, Elvis' 'weight problem' mainly was caused by the side effect of some of the drugs he took. I also find that this bloatedness often changed his facial features altogether.

cibetty
03-01-2009, 01:34 AM
:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: Omg that is too funny! We also call it "Eating Disease"!:lmfao::lmfao:

Originally Posted by utmom2008
Here in Texas we call that the "Dunlap Disease"....meaning your stomach has "done lapped" over your belt.

Are you thinking about this disease:

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/433/742_Funny_Fat_men.jpg

LOL...

Tommy
03-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Whatever Elvis' weight was, was fine.

utmom2008
03-01-2009, 02:16 AM

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

cibetty
03-01-2009, 02:21 AM

Well said Tommy!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy I agree!! (y) (y)

Tommy
03-01-2009, 02:54 AM
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Thank you(y)

Tommy
03-01-2009, 02:55 AM
Well said Tommy!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy I agree!! (y) (y)

Thank you(y)

Tommy
03-01-2009, 02:57 AM
I think the way the Aloha show was filmed for TV, makes the difference in the weight looking different. If you look at photos Elvis looked great in those from the Aloha Special.

cibetty
03-01-2009, 02:59 AM
I think the way the Aloha show was filmed for TV, makes the difference in the weight looking different. If you look at photos Elvis looked great in those from the Aloha Special.

I have it on DVD, and I think he looked great!! (y) (y) (y) After that he really got more and more weight, this is the truth. But I always thought he looked still great on the Aloha concert, he would have to care about himself after that. Very easy to say this, but of course I didn't walk in his shoes.

rickb
03-01-2009, 03:24 AM
He was in great shape for Aloha, although far from energetic. He had lost the `pudgy' look that he had in EOT.
It is also notable how much weight he lost in late 1975 between the September and ?October tours.
He stacked it on again by February but again lost some. He was in slightly better shpe in mid 77 than mid 76

elvispresleytheking
03-02-2009, 02:24 AM
Let's take Greensboro for example:
4/14/72
Elvis looked great for this show, but during the intro. to Bridge Over Troubled Water, he looks bloated and has a bit of a double-chin.

dstrattenfan
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Also, his jumpsuit in Aloha was white and in 68 his outfit was black.....

Being a fat person, I know that white is not a flattering color whereas black is a very trimming color....

Now the color of the cloths is not all to blame but the black suite would defiantly make him look slimmer than a white jumpsuit, I believe he was around the same weight in both Aloha and 68

The Welz
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
When he gained weight he should have stopped wearing jumpsuits. Even a person with a normal weight would look a little pudgy in such a suit. He wore two-piece outfits in 1972 and from that point on he should have stayed with them. He again used such outfits in 1975, but as soon as he had lost a pound or two he returned to wearing jumpsuits. A bad decision, if you ask me.

Tony Trout
03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
As long as Elvis is not held to a higher standard than all humans-I have no problem with anything said about him regarding the negatives.

Therein lies the problem, though. There are fans who do hold Elvis to a much-higher and non-human standard....(and before anyone asks, I'm not singling anyone here on the boards out, I promise. I'm referring to just the Elvis fan-base in general).

Yes, he did. He and Sonny and Lamar and Red all got on some sort of diet where they all lost a tremendous amount of weight in a short period of time - which can be very dangerous.

Lemme see if I can find the info...ahh! Here it is on page 554 of "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia":

"Around '72, Elvis started gaining a lot of weight. He'd tried all kinds of regular diets, but they worked too slow for him. So before the satellite show, he went on this kind of crazy diet which was based on injections of the urine of a pregnant woman. A doctor in Vegas put him on it. Buddy Hackett popularized it and his daughters worked for the doctor.

Elvis got Sonny and Lamar and Red on it with him. The doctor supplied the food: little-bitty pieces of meat that you'd either boil in the package or take out and eat dry. They'd be in the kitchen up in the suite in Vegas, boiling these bags. They started giving the shots to themselves. I remember sitting there one day in the kitchen, and Lamar popped himself in the fatty part of the leg--right behind the knee--with one of those needles."

From Lamar:

"We found out it was just vitamins. We only ate five hundred or six hundred calories a day. My God, anybody cold lose weight on that. Elvis got down to 175-180 pounds."

tony70
03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
to sum it all up watch Paradise Hwn Styl Elvis always fought with weight Im the same way after all were human he just happen to be in the public eye .