PDA

View Full Version : Elvis hairstyle 68 comeback

hgs262626
02-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know what kind of hair product elvis used in the 68 comeback, its just i'a m thinkin of getting a similar (but more modern) look, and just wanted to know what they had on the market in 1968 in terms of styling products and what he would probably have used. Thanks! :P:)

Any ideas on the what cut is required aswell would also be greatly appreciated. So anyone guys on the forum with the elvis "doo" please help! I know this isn't a hairdressers forum but i guessed you guys would have a pretty good idea, i did once take in a photo but they just recked my hair! (n)(n)(n)

utmom2008
02-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know what kind of hair product elvis used in the 68 comeback,? and just wanted to know what they had on the market in 1968 in terms of styling products and what he would probably have used. Thanks! :P:)

I can't speak for the men, but the women used "Dippity-Do.":laughing::laughing:

Diane
02-21-2009, 11:39 PM

I remember that stuff :) but now occasionally use Dep.:)

Diane

midnight
02-22-2009, 12:01 AM

Is that the one that used the slogan "A little dap will do"? In Elvis' case "A big dap"!:lol:

utmom2008
02-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Is that the one that used the slogan "A little dap will do"? In Elvis' case "A big dap"!:lol:

:lol: Yes, that's the one. Only it was "a little dab will do.":lol:(y)

cprimm
02-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Brylcream anyone?

utmom2008
02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Here ya go...........

ehollier
02-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Here ya go...........

My Dad used that stuff in the 60's. Like most of the guys who wanted to be 'cool' (and my dad is and has always been 'cool'), had to emulate Elvis' style and many pompadours were treated to Dippy Do....."A little dab while do ya."

midnight
02-22-2009, 01:36 AM
:lol: Yes, that's the one. Only it was "a little dab will do.":lol:(y)

"Dab" makes much more sense! What in the heck was a "dap"!:lmfao::lmfao:

SeeSeeRider777
02-22-2009, 05:55 AM
I have the 1972 Elvis hair (w/o the sideburns). Looks great and the ladies love it. Speaking of which just got back from a date with this chick in my class. We were supposed to go to her place, but when she opened the door, her parents were in the living room, and I started running, ran to my HEMI and took off. :D

Back on topic :lmfao:

Dippity Doo. Looks greasy. LOL

jon_burrows
02-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Did Elvis use "Black Velvet"? I heard recently that the song "Black Velvet" sung by Alannah Myles was about Elvis, with Black Velvet referring to the dye Elvis used on his hair. Here is an explanation from Wikipedia.

The words "black velvet" can refer to either Elvis himself (as his likeness is frequently painted on black velvet) or his voice. Also, Black Velvet (full name "Sullivan's Black Velvet Hair Dye") is what Elvis used to give his naturally brown hair its distinctive black sheen. Black velvet is described as a "new religion that'll bring y'all to your knees" (changed to "bring you to your knees" in the Robin Lee version). The chorus tells of "Black velvet in that little boy's smile/Black velvet with that slow, Southern style" and the end of the first verse claims that "The boy could sing, knew how to move, everything/Always wanting more, he'd leave you longing for [black velvet]".[citation needed]

While the first verse discusses the beginning of Elvis' life - "Mama's dancing with baby on her shoulder" - the second talks about the height of his career - "Mama's baby is in the heart of every schoolgirl; Love Me Tender leaves 'em crying in the aisles". The final verse references his death - "In a flash he was gone, it happened so soon, what could you do?"

shelley.m.
02-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Brylcream anyone?

:lol:I remember my dad using Brylcream for many years.:lol:Don't know if he still uses the stuff or not.

Dudcowboy_1
02-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Here we go, what I usually use is Moose and Aqua Net (Elvis Tribute Artist best friend. LOL). Now I was told by Patti Perry that Elvis was famous for going few days with out watching his hair at lease. No 100% sure about that one because being in the public everyday but...

Love to all,
Tim

hgs262626
02-24-2009, 07:04 PM
thnx everyone!

KPM
02-24-2009, 07:13 PM
1960-68 I used Brylcreem-and around 69, hairspray with a blowdryer for a more natural look.

easyrider
02-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Really i don't know

beckelvis
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION,BUT TRUTH IS ALL THE SAME TO ME JAJAJAJ WHAT TO SPEND FOR THE HAIR,ALWAYS TO BE BRUSHED WELL AND PERFECTLY.:notworthy:notworthy

Lonniebealestreet
02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
hgs, are you thinking more the sit-down shows look or the stand-up shows look? :) IMO the former seems less dated.

I have wondered what he used on his hair then as well. It is interesting how in place it is in a perfect pompadour at the beginning of those stand-up shows -- it looks very shiny but not greasy at all, which to me likely rules out a lot of the aforementioned products (or perhaps a little dab in fact did him) -- and how it gradually falls down little by little and looks **** good if not better messed up.

A friend of mine once suggested that he may have been using Vitalis, though I don't recall hearing that attributed to him before. Makes sense to me though.

http://barberz.com/iconZ/VitalisSun.jpg

Ematt
02-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I go for the Donald Trump wrap-over (hair parted next to my ear), my foot long strand of hair sprayed into place. The ladies love it.

utmom2008
02-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I go for the Donald Trump wrap-over (hair parted next to my ear), my foot long strand of hair sprayed into place. The ladies love it.

They would love it even better if your wallet was as fat as Donald Trump's wallet as well!:lol::lol::lol:

Tommylee
02-28-2009, 06:14 PM
There is a product called Sweet Georgia Brown,(It slicks and beautifies your hair!)comes in a great retro(30's/40's)tin,I used it for a few years.Also Black and White,(which is made in Memphis Tenn.)for more of a 50's look!