PDA

View Full Version : Ringo Starr Elvis comment

KPM
02-01-2009, 05:09 PM
I was listening to the show called "Beatle Brunch" similar to "Elvis Only"
and Ringo in an interview remarked (paraphrasing since I do not have total recall;))that he felt sorry for Elvis being alone in the huge fame and the circus that it brings. He said that when he and the other three Beatles hit-they had each other-who understood exactly what being inside the fury was like. They leaned on each other pretty much trusted each other.
Ringo said when I went bonkers with the fame and the money-I knew the other 3 knew what it was like and would tell me straight to help.

Joe Car
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I was listening to the show called "Beatle Brunch" similar to "Elvis Only"
and Ringo in an interview remarked (paraphrasing since I do not have total recall;))that he felt sorry for Elvis being alone in the huge fame and the circus that it brings. He said that when he and the other three Beatles hit-they had each other-who understood exactly what being inside the fury was like. They leaned on each other pretty much trusted each other.
Ringo said when I went bonkers with the fame and the money-I knew the other 3 knew what it was like and would tell me straight to help.

That's what kills me when people compare the fame that the Beatles and Elvis had, nobody really considers the fact that they were a group, as opposed to Elvis who had too endure this massive fame alone. Very well said by Ringo, Thanks for the link!

Diane
02-01-2009, 06:42 PM
That was a very astute comment on the part of Ringo. I always kid my brother-in-law who is an ardent Beatles fan that it took 4 of them to do what Elvis did all by himself.:) He also has a lot of respect for Elvis though.

Diane

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I used to like Ringo but over the years he seems to have forgotten his routes as a Liverpool lad, the last interview I saw late last year on the Jonathan Ross Show was very disappointing, he was very off hand about his former home town, in fact he was dismissive, unlike Paul McCartney who seems to have a better opinion and fondness for his Liverpudlian kin folk. The thing you can NEVER take away from Elvis was his Southern routes, he never looked down on his birthplace. However at least Ringo acknowledges that Elvis was indeed unique in his situation.

WHITETIGERMAN
02-01-2009, 07:34 PM
That was a very astute comment on the part of Ringo. I always kid my brother-in-law who is an ardent Beatles fan that it took 4 of them to do what Elvis did all by himself.:) He also has a lot of respect for Elvis though.

Diane

LOL....well said...........those four could not even amount to what Elvis had.(y)

franny
02-01-2009, 07:51 PM
That was an insightful and a great comment for Ringo to make. (y)

franny

boylover
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM
That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Raised on Rock
02-02-2009, 07:16 AM
At one point during The Beatles Anthology DVD set, George Harrison tells more or less the same thing, about how they always had each other to rely upon, while Elvis did had none, and how he felt sorry late for him, cause he knows that that kind of fame will isolate you at the point you might become truly insane, so being like four best friends (at least during the ealry to mid part of their career) keep their sanity on a certain degree, while Elvis loneliness has a lot to do with his sad end. An I might add here, Elvis loneliness and the fact that he had no one to share and rely upon on what he was going through, also has a lot to do on his recurrent lack of direction in crusial matters about his career.

Diane
02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
At one point during The Beatles Anthology DVD set, George Harrison tells more or less the same thing, about how they always had each other to rely upon, while Elvis did had none, and how he felt sorry late for him, cause he knows that that kind of fame will isolate you at the point you might become truly insane, so being like four best friends (at least during the ealry to mid part of their career) keep their sanity on a certain degree, while Elvis loneliness has a lot to do with his sad end. An I might add here, Elvis loneliness and the fact that he had no one to share and rely upon on what he was going through, also has a lot to do on his recurrent lack of direction in crusial matters about his career.

I'm in total agreement with this post.(y)(y)(y)

Diane

President Presley
02-02-2009, 05:27 PM
But Elvis could talk about fame with Tom Jones, or is that different?

KPM
02-02-2009, 06:44 PM
But Elvis could talk about fame with Tom Jones, or is that different?
I think Ringo was talking about the first years of the sudden explosion of fame that both the Elvis and the Beatles had in common. For Elvis that would have been 55-1960 long before he met Tom Jones and for the Beatles it would have been around 63 to 67.

nyc
02-02-2009, 07:06 PM
I think Ringo was talking about the first years of the sudden explosion of fame that both the Elvis and the Beatles had in common. For Elvis that would have been 55-1960 long before he met Tom Jones and for the Beatles it would have been around 63 to 67.

Not to mention that Tom Jones never was the phenomenon that Elvis and the Beatles were. Elvis and the Beatles stand alone in the rock era (just look at the ratings for Elvis and the Beatles on Ed Sullivan).