PDA

View Full Version : Is Graceland more popular than Elvis?

memphisflash
02-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I know this sounds like a trick question but it's really not. I ask this because it seems that the home and its beauty is getting more national publicity these days than the actually man that lived there during his rein of rock royalty. It just seems that the first time I went there it was all so surreal and like wow! I'm at ELVIS' home Graceland! But the second time I went it wasn't the same experience. It was like wow! I'm back at GRACELAND! It seemed as if Elvis came second. I was watching MTV's True Life the other day and in one of the scenes this teenager was showing a pic of Graceland that he had taken of him in front of it and he said "this is me standing in front of the world famous iconic Graceland in Memphis" He never mentioned it being Elvis' home which caught me by surprise. But when you think of it, that's how the media sees it too. When they're live on tv from there they always say " live from Graceland" or "we're coming to you from the famous Graceland mansion". Not "this is the home Elvis called Graceland". It also seems that whenever you hear a phrase about the home it's always Graceland first and Elvis last or not even mentioned. Like "lets go to Graceland".

So, what's your honest, and not biased, opinion or theory about this? I have my beliefs but I want to hear yours and see if you feel as I do.:hmm:

TotallyInsane
02-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Graceland is Elvis!!!

KPM
02-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I know this sounds like a trick question but it's really not. I ask this because it seems that the home and its beauty is getting more national publicity these days than the actually man that lived there during his rein of rock royalty. It just seems that the first time I went there it was all so surreal and like wow! I'm at ELVIS' home Graceland! But the second time I went it wasn't the same experience. It was like wow! I'm back at GRACELAND! It seemed as if Elvis came second. I was watching MTV's True Life the other day and in one of the scenes this teenager was showing a pic of Graceland that he had taken of him in front of it and he said "this is me standing in front of the world famous iconic Graceland in Memphis" He never mentioned it being Elvis' home which caught me by surprise. But when you think of it, that's how the media sees it too. When they're live on tv from there they always say " live from Graceland" or "we're coming to you from the famous Graceland mansion". Not "this is the home Elvis called Graceland". It also seems that whenever you hear a phrase about the home it's always Graceland first and Elvis last or not even mentioned. Like "lets go to Graceland".

So, what's your honest, and not biased, opinion or theory about this? I have my beliefs but I want to hear yours and see if you feel as I do.:hmm:
No!!!!If Graceland did not mean home of Elvis Presley it would mean nothing to anyone. Elvis is the fire-Graceland is the smoke.

epmoodyblue
02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Graceland is Elvis!!!(y):notworthyhttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gif

Tommy
02-01-2009, 05:00 PM
You're right, it seems it's that way, but for me Elvis is always in my thoughts when I think about Graceland. I have always thought of it has his home. I still feel the same when I have visited there, this is Elvis' home, I feel his spirit there more than the house.

I feel him walkig outside, riding his horse, walking to his car, being in the kitchen, laughing in the jungleroom, etc. I feel lucky that I can go there and think of him from the minute I enter the gates.

TotallyInsane
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Do you think people go to Graceland to get decorating ideas?:lmfao::lmfao:

epmoodyblue
02-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I feel him walkig outside, riding his horse, walking to his car, being in the kitchen, laughing in the jungleroom, etc. I feel lucky that I can go there and think of him from the minute I enter the gates.:'(:'( well said tommy(y):notworthyhttp://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/joe1cooldude/elvispoem3.jpghttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gif

LtCarman
02-01-2009, 05:10 PM
When they're live on tv from there they always say " live from Graceland" or "we're coming to you from the famous Graceland mansion". Not "this is the home Elvis called Graceland". It also seems that whenever you hear a phrase about the home it's always Graceland first and Elvis last or not even mentioned. Like "lets go to Graceland".

Most, if not all, already associate Graceland with Elvis. It would be kind of silly to say, "Lets go to Elvis' home which he called Graceland!" It would be like saying, "Lets go to the home Michael Jackson called Neverland!" as opposed to, "Lets go to Neverland."

I'm not sure if I made any sense, but it sounds really good in my head and putting things into words has not always been the easiest thing for me to do. If you want more clarification, feel free to ask.

Tommy
02-01-2009, 05:12 PM
:'(:'( well said tommy(y)wonderful place graceland:notworthyhttp://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/joe1cooldude/elvispoem3.jpghttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gif

Thank you(y)

memphisflash
02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
You're right, it seems it's that way, but for me Elvis is always in my thoughts when I think about Graceland. I have always thought of it has his home. I still feel the same when I have visited there, this is Elvis' home, I feel his spirit there more than the house.

I feel him walkig outside, riding his horse, walking to his car, being in the kitchen, laughing in the jungleroom, etc. I feel lucky that I can go there and think of him from the minute I enter the gates. Thanks for being the only poster with a serious and sincere reply.

IMO, I think a lot of newcomers and new visitors don't see it as we do and they only see it as a piece of world history and not just some celebrity home as it is. I think they don't understand the importance of Elvis and only see the glamour side of him like the themed rooms like the Jungle room and the tv room. I will never forget when I first went there that some kid about 12 said to his mom and dad, who's these people buried here. :lmfao:

And I fear that with their big expansion plans with all new attractions for the home that the media and the future generations who visit will view it as a theme park or something and the fact that Elvis actually lived there will be completely lost. I know some do already.:'( I think we the fans are the only ones visiting because of it being ELVIS' home first and an attraction second.

utmom2008
02-01-2009, 05:18 PM
No!!!!If Graceland did not mean home of Elvis Presley it would mean nothing to anyone. Elvis is the fire-Graceland is the smoke.

I feel his presence the second that bus goes through the gate.......:blush:

memphisflash
02-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Most, if not all, already associate Graceland with Elvis. It would be kind of silly to say, "Lets go to Elvis' home which he called Graceland!" It would be like saying, "Lets go to the home Michael Jackson called Neverland!" as opposed to, "Lets go to Neverland."

I'm not sure if I made any sense, but it sounds really good in my head and putting things into words has not always been the easiest thing for me to do. If you want more clarification, feel free to ask. Well I think saying "lets go to Elvis' Graceland" would sound much appropriate than just "lets go to Graceland".

TotallyInsane
02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Let's go to Memphis=let's go to Graceland=we love Elvis!!!

utmom2008
02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Well I think saying "lets go to Elvis' Graceland" would sound much appropriate than just "lets go to Graceland".

I hear people talking about "Graceland" all the time. No one ever says "I just got back from Elvis' Graceland" or "How many times have you been to Elvis' Graceland." Never ever have I heard it put that way.:blink::doh::doh:

LtCarman
02-01-2009, 05:24 PM
EDIT: Nevermind. Posted before I read the whole thread.

memphisflash
02-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't get me wrong. I never lost thought of it being Elvis' home. Just that it was Graceland THE home of Elvis. Not like "who again once lived there?" One thing about Graceland is the small children who visit. They don't realise that HE was an actual living human being. they get the impression that he knew Mickey and is to them probably a cartoon character as well. That's why they get excited when they go because they get to dress in their little jumpsuits and climb aboard the planes and see the shiny cars. Kids love that stuff. If you try to show them history they are ready to go home. That's why I see them seeing it as something totally different. Graceland to them is like the magic kingdom at Disneyland.

utmom2008
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
One thing about Graceland is the small children who visit. They don't realise that HE was an actual living human being. they get the impression that he knew Mickey and is to them probably a cartoon character as well. Graceland to them is like the magic kingdom at Disneyland.

:supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced: :supriced:

memphisflash
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I hear people talking about "Graceland" all the time. No one ever says "I just got back from Elvis' Graceland" or "How many times have you been to Elvis' Graceland." Never ever have I heard it put that way.:blink::doh::doh: Exactly. they say 'I just got back from Graceland". The whole meaning for going isn't mentioned and is lost because of that name GRACELAND. That was the whole point of this thread, is Graceland bigger or more popular today than Elvis is? Someone mentioned on another forum years ago that what would happen to Elvis' popularity in today's society if Graceland closed to the public or was destroyed? Some believe he would continue to sell. Buts ell what? His whole income is based around Graceland and merchandise sold there. I do believe if something ever did happen to Graceland that the whole Elvis world would collapse. but that's my opinion.

memphisflash
02-01-2009, 05:35 PM
:supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced: :supriced: It's true. The way EPE has it set up looks more like a theme park to the kids. Not a historical importance or cultural attraction.
I know from my own personal experiences that when I'm on the grounds of Graceland that I never want to leave. But once you go to the plaza you lose the feeling that you had at the mansion and it all becomes like a collection of attractions. I'm not against them spicing things up to attract more people. The more the merrier as the saying goes. but it's the fact that Elvis goes from being a living human at Graceland to a cartoon character across from it.

utmom2008
02-01-2009, 06:17 PM
:supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced: :supriced:

The way EPE has it set up looks more like a theme park to the kids. Not a historical importance or cultural attraction.
I'm not against them spicing things up to attract more people. The more the merrier as the saying goes. but it's the fact that Elvis goes from being a living human at Graceland to a cartoon character across from it.

The "theme park" and "Disneyland" talk never bodes well on this board.:blink::blink::doh::doh::doh:

Diane
02-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't think anyone who goes to Graceland doesn't immediately think of Elvis just pulling up to the gates. I think people do think of Elvis when they say they went to Graceland as no one would even think of going if Elvis hadn't lived there. Don't think it matters how they word it...it's Elvis' Graceland and it's in everyone's mind!

Diane

utmom2008
02-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't think anyone who goes to Graceland doesn't immediately think of Elvis just pulling up to the gates. Don't think it matters how they word it...it's Elvis' Graceland and it's in everyone's mind!

Diane

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

easyrider
02-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Graceland is Elvis!!!

i'm agree Graceland is Elvis

Elvis_Lady_1984
02-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I only go to Graceland because of Elvis...Elvis made Graceland, Graceland. So no I don't think its more popular than Elvis.

Wendy56
02-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Nop, Graceland is a consequence of Elvis.

Jungleroom76
02-01-2009, 09:16 PM
As others have said, if it weren't for Elvis, there wouldn't be a Graceland. One simply doesn't exist without the other!! :hmm:

HOWEVER...there is just something magical about Graceland that you just can't describe. I can remember the first time I visited in 1987...as my parents and I were driving up Elvis Presley Boulevard, nearing the mansion, I could just hear the 2001 theme playing in my head....and this feeling just came over me....sort of a combination of "I can't believe I'm here" and "I can't believe I am going to stand where Elvis may very well have stood".

As I toured the house three times during that 1987 trip, every time I walked through the mansion, I could just feel Elvis' presence everywhere in the house...just like he was still living there. It was amazing to me.

The funny thing is that on my second trip to Graceland in 2000, I was expecting a different sort of feeling since I had already been there once before. But as our car drove up Elvis Presley Boulevard, I had the EXACT same feelings as I had experienced 13 years earlier....EVEN THOUGH I had been there before. It is both amazing and unexplainable....even now, as I type this, I just can't put it into words the way I would really like to... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

cbg84
02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I've been there three times and everytime I learn something new about ELVIS. Whither I notice something I didn't before or I went to one of the exibits that I didn't go to before do to time or whatever. I won't say I feel his spirit, but there is a presence there that is just Elvis.

kathy parkinson
02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
They go hand in hand.

utmom2008
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
this feeling just came over me....sort of a combination of "I can't believe I'm here" and "I can't believe I am going to stand where Elvis may very well have stood".
TCB!
Mike

I totally get what you are saying Mike. I can't describe I how I felt in these pics.:supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced:

TotallyInsane
02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Or when I saw this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/896080/TPSUV-MemphisinOctober107.jpg

Jungleroom76
02-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I totally get what you are saying Mike. I can't describe I how I felt in these pics.:supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced:

FINALLY!!!! :supriced:

Someone FINALLY gets me!!!! My therapist said this day would come....I didn't believe him!!!! :'( :lmfao:

TCB!
Mike

utmom2008
02-01-2009, 10:33 PM
FINALLY!!!! :supriced:

Someone FINALLY gets me!!!! My therapist said this day would come....I didn't believe him!!!! :'( :lmfao:

TCB!
Mike

Start paying me the big bucks now!!:lol::lol::lol:

javierTCB
02-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Nop, Graceland is a consequence of Elvis.

Agreed. When I expressed this thought almost always the reaction of many fans is very emotional, but not rational.

I think your thread is very interesting, but I also think that there are people who feel "offended" by such reflection. Sometimes I think marketing of his memory has buried the most important thing: his music and his contribution to contemporary culture. Currently many fans (not all!) idealizes him from mega-campaigns of "Elvis Presley Enterprises".

In consumer culture the image is stronger than the main, the content. And in this sense has profited from the image. Few fans go beyond his music, his contradictions as a person and artist, his early experiences that shaped his conception of music, etc.

I also believe the experience that every fan has to visit Graceland is very special and unique that you can not discuss. But that is another matter, your threads requires a critical reflection on the commodification of his memory.

I do not want to be controversial or offensive as I think that every fan in the world deserves great respect. But my thought goes to the marketing of the image of Elvis (and memory) and the mansion as a tourist attraction (I'm afraid that it becomes a theme park!).

No one has absolute truth, but I believe that everyone can contribute new views. I also have my beliefs and respect those of others (y)

Jungleroom76
02-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Start paying me the big bucks now!!:lol::lol::lol:

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

TCB!
Mike

john carpenter
02-02-2009, 01:43 AM
I don't think anyone who goes to Graceland doesn't immediately think of Elvis just pulling up to the gates. I think people do think of Elvis when they say they went to Graceland as no one would even think of going if Elvis hadn't lived there. Don't think it matters how they word it...it's Elvis' Graceland and it's in everyone's mind!

Diane
I could not have said it better Diane(y)

shelley.m.
02-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Elvis and Graceland go hand in hand.You can't have one without the other.

memphis69
02-02-2009, 09:13 AM
GRACELAND AND ELVIS GO TOGETHER. AND WHEN I VISIT THERE I FEEL SO HONOURED THAT I AM IN HIS HOME THE PLACE HE LOVED SO MUCH. HIS SPIRIT IS STILL ALIVE THERE AND THE FANS FEEL IT EACH TIME THEY VISIT!! IT IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE AND ALL PEOPLE WHO VISIT SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS OUT OF RESPECT TO ELVIS!!

celine
02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I feel his presence the second that bus goes through the gate.......:blush:

That's exactly how I feel!

celine
02-02-2009, 09:39 AM

I love your pics. I am so sorry that I never was there while Elvis was still alive.
Well, much too young back then and besides, traveling to the US cost a fortune in the 70s and my parents would have never spent money for that.

john carpenter
02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Elvis and Graceland...it's like Orville Reddenboker and Popcorn, they are joined at the hip!:lmfao:

jeanelvisgirl
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Great topic.....people say to me - Are you going to Memphis this year.... they don't need to mention Elvis' name....for me it's the same with Graceland......it's synonymous with Elvis for me.....like many have said here there's a magic about Graceland, a feeling...you look around and remember all the stories you know about what went on there...you see him riding down to the gate to chat to fans...you stand in the Jungle Room and hear him singing Moody Blue and yelling to shoot the yella dog.......you look at that sofa in the living room and think of him playing guitar there........so many moments come to mind when you are there in Graceland......

I think I understand what you are saying....about Elvis, the person, becoming lost in the marketing machine of EPE......but when I go to Graceland, everything there makes me think of Elvis...the person......like others...I feel something special there......but then we are fans and we love him........

Sorry - off on a ramble here - I know what I mean....lol

kathy parkinson
02-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I know what you mean Jean,