PDA

View Full Version : Elvis pay per view 1970

memphis69
02-01-2009, 08:02 AM
I WAS READING TODAY THAT THE COLONEL WAS SERIOULSY CONSIDERING BROADCASTING AN ELVIS SHOW IN 1970 IN CLOSE CIRCUIT. I THINK THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT AS WE WOULD HAVE HAD MORE FOOTAGE OF ELVIS IN CONCERT.
CAN ANYONE ELABORATE ABOUT THIS STORY?

Raised on Rock
02-01-2009, 03:04 PM
As far as I know it was a working idea for what became "Elvis: Thatīs The Way It Is". It went on from a pay per view TV special to what it ended up: a major theatrical release.

I guess a movie was better as it gave Elvis a bigger exposure than the close circuit idea.

Jungleroom76
02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
As far as I know it was a working idea for what became "Elvis: Thatīs The Way It Is". It went on from a pay per view TV special to what it ended up: a major theatrical release.

I guess a movie was better as it gave Elvis a bigger exposure than the close circuit idea.

RIGHT RAISED ON ROCK!!! (y)

The Colonel was going to broadcast one of the August '70 shows at the International via closed circuit pay-per-view TV, but then wound up cancelling those plans and went ahead with the MGM filming of THAT'S THE WAY IT IS instead.

TCB!
Mike

Brian
02-02-2009, 05:35 AM
I would've liked it better if they filmed one show and used it for closed circuit t.v. rather than just the documentary.

utmom2008
02-02-2009, 05:47 AM
I would've liked it better if they filmed one show and used it for closed circuit t.v. rather than just the documentary.

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Brian
02-02-2009, 05:51 AM

what is so funny about that?

utmom2008
02-02-2009, 05:54 AM

what is so funny about that?

Absolutely everything!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Brian
02-02-2009, 06:07 AM
Absolutely everything!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

didn't think I said anything funny

fans are always saying that the August 20 midnight show is one of the best

I would've liked to have seen that show be filmed in it's entirety rather than the whole TTWII but that's just me

Raised on Rock
02-02-2009, 06:16 AM

May I kindly ask why is that?

From my point of view I rather like to have more than one show (how many shows where actually filmed for TTWII?) plus rehearsals, and also believe that an international theatrical release gave Elvis (who never toured outside his native land) a wider exposure of his new image and sound than just a national or even regional close circuit tv special.

I do believe that the pay per view idea should have been reevaluated around '74, maybe for his Aug season when he tried to update his show, and would have worked fine.

P.S. True, TTWII could have been a better documentary than what originaly was, and also true, the complete unedited shows that were filmed should have been by now released on DVD ('68 comback 3dvd pack like), but I believe that is another deal, an has not much to do between pay per view VS theatrical release.

Brian
02-02-2009, 06:36 AM
May I kindly ask why is that?

From my point of view I rather like to have more than one show (how many shows where actually filmed for TTWII?) plus rehearsals, and also believe that an international theatrical release gave Elvis (who never toured outside his native land) a wider exposure of his new image and sound than just a national or even regional close circuit tv special.

I do believe that the pay per view idea should have been reevaluated around '74, maybe for his Aug season when he tried to update his show, and would have worked fine.

P.S. True, TTWII could have been a better documentary than what originaly was, and also true, the complete unedited shows that were filmed should have been by now released on DVD ('68 comback 3dvd pack like), but I believe that is another deal, an has not much to do between pay per view VS theatrical release.

well you partially answered your own question

I've never been fond of Elvis documentaries and always thought they could have been so much more than they were.

Elvis goofs around too much during the actual performances imo anyway and when he does a t.v. special or a one performance type deal he always does his best. going all the way back to the 50's t.v. specials.

I'd rather have one good show than a bunch of performances edited together
that range in quality.

Raised on Rock
02-02-2009, 06:47 AM

I've never been fond of Elvis documentaries and always thought they could have been so much more than they were.

Elvis goofs around too much during the actual performances imo anyway and when he does a t.v. special or a one performance type deal he always does his best. going all the way back to the 50's t.v. specials.

that range in quality.

Might be, but really? could Elvis have done it better than he did during the TTWII shows that they were filmed? I belive any faults that we can find in the original TTWII movie are due to poor editing, and kind of an old timer aproach to a rock/pop documentary, but not at all due to Elvis poor performances, or goofing around to much. Plus part of the magic of TTWII is that we can catch Elvis just being he, and not being too selfaware as in the Aloha show. And as I said it before, back in '70, an international theatrical release gave him a bigger exposure than a pay per view thing, just thinking in terms of how many people, both fans, and non fans, will be able to catch him doing his thing.

So, these is one of the odd times I will say Col. Parker was right choosing what he choosed.

Raised on Rock
02-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Now here is a rare one, canīt remember where, maybe was another thread over here, but I remember someone talking about Ringo Star appearing as a special guess when the pay per view idea was still on the works. I don't think anytrue on that, but can't remember where that one came from. Does anybody have heard of that?

Getlo
02-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Hmmm, let's see.

A closed-circuit single show, the footage of which couldn't possibly have survived in pristine or near-pristine condition beyond a few years ... versus six Vegas shows of Elvis in his prime, all in threatre-style quality.

No choice really. ;)

rocknroll
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Hmmm, let's see.

A closed-circuit single show, the footage of which couldn't possibly have survived in pristine or near-pristine condition beyond a few years ... versus six Vegas shows of Elvis in his prime, all in threatre-style quality.

No choice really. ;)

True.

Closed circuit was pretty primative back then.

italianfan
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Hmmm, let's see.

No choice really.

Well said! Were quiet lucky as Elvis fans I believe, not many other fans of singers have such a wide variety of footage. Perhaps the odd TV show but nothing like what was filmed for TTWII

KPM
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM

that range in quality.
No offense Brian but that seems to be your take on all things great done by Elvis.
Nothing is perfect-not with Elvis, the Beatles or any other performer (or life in general for that matter).
If you look hard enough you can find negative in anyone and anything.

ehollier
02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Since TTWII was filmed over several shows, I think we are given a much broader variety of material to enjoy rather than if it was narrowed down to only one recorded show. Elvis didn't perform the same song list each night, so having clips from all of the shows allows everyone to enjoy some rare performances, that we would have otherwise not had the opportunity to see.

As far as his interaction with the audience, it is so much fun and enjoyable, especially when you compare the more reserved performance in the Aloha show. Elvis wasn't under any strict time constraints during the shows filmed for TTWII unlike the Aloha show, which allowed him to interact with the audience.

KPM
02-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I have heard that Hank Williams Jr has had his concerts filmed for years to review and to keep. I wish Elvis had done something similar.

Jungleroom76
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I have heard that Hank Williams Jr has had his concerts filmed for years to review and to keep. I wish Elvis had done something similar.

IF ONLY... :hmm: :'(

TCB!
Mike

ehollier
02-02-2009, 11:49 PM

Wouldn't that be treasure trove of video to have today!!!!!!!!!!! Since each show was unique, it would such a wonderful testimony to his legendary performances!!!!!!!!

Getlo
02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Wouldn't that be treasure trove of video to have today!!!!!!!!!!! Since each show was unique, it would such a wonderful testimony to his legendary performances!!!!!!!!

And his not so legendary performances, sadly. Elvis could have learned much from Hank's sad, sad tale ... especially how it ended.

ehollier
02-03-2009, 12:03 AM
And his not so legendary performances, sadly. Elvis could have learned much from Hank's sad, sad tale ... especially how it ended.

Getlo, don't tell me are agreeing on something .......... in a way, Hank's sad demise was as tragic as Elvis' and in some ways similar.

LtCarman
02-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Though I have to say, Elvis documentary's were not the best in the world, but they are not as bad as you describe them Brian. (Why am I still arguing with you? My god!)

However, I disagree with the fact that "Elvis fooled around too much." That is what made Elvis, Elvis. That is what set him apart from the rest. How many singers do you see today hop off the stage to kiss fans. None that I know of. I would rather see some interaction with the audience as opposed to a straight forward show.

Now, I noticed some of you have mentioned that Aloha had very little interaction with the audience. I don't really agree with that. When I first became an Elvis fan last year back in 2007, "Aloha From Hawaii" was the first Elvis concert I've seen. They way he keeled down to let women kiss him and fix his hair amazed me. Sure, the interaction with the crowd pales in comparison to "That's the Way it Is" but it was still pretty cool for a new fan to see. Singers today sure pale in comparison to him.

utmom2008
02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Now, I noticed some of you have mentioned that Aloha had very little interaction with the audience. I don't really agree with that. When I first became an Elvis fan last year back in 2007, "Aloha From Hawaii" was the first Elvis concert I've seen. They way he keeled down to let women kiss him and fix his hair amazed me. Sure, the interaction with the crowd pales in comparison to "That's the Way it Is" but it was still pretty cool for a new fan to see. Singers today sure pale in comparison to him.

I can see why a new fan would be amazed by that, but by and large his performance in Aloha was quite stiff when compared to other shows. I believe I remember that he wanted a lower stage so there could be more interaction with the crowd, but they left it at a higher level.
What stood out to me more than the physical interaction was the way he didn't joke around with the audience. That was not the true Elvis.:blush:

BTW....what made you become a fan in 2007?:hmm:

KPM
02-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Getlo, don't tell me are agreeing on something .......... in a way, Hank's sad demise was as tragic as Elvis' and in some ways similar.
I was actually talking about Hank Williams Jr. Hank seniors son. Sorry if I made it confusing.
He is still very much alive and kicking, performing etc.....it is he who has his shows filmed.

epmoodyblue
02-03-2009, 12:57 AM
:hmm:HOW I WISH BACK THEN IN 70....ELVIS WAS SERIOULSY CONSIDERING OF KICKING the COLONEL OUT FoR GOOD...and thank him for his services..good bye good ridence(y)..NOW THAT WOULD OF BEeN GREAT NEWS........ live pay per view of the colonel getting fired http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/selenauno/smiley-gen101.gif

LtCarman
02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
I can see why a new fan would be amazed by that, but by and large his performance in Aloha was quite stiff when compared to other shows. I believe I remember that he wanted a lower stage so there could be more interaction with the crowd, but they left it at a higher level.
What stood out to me more than the physical interaction was the way he didn't joke around with the audience. That was not the true Elvis.:blush:

BTW....what made you become a fan in 2007?:hmm:

What made me become a fan is quite unusual, at least, to me.

I listened to "Pretty Woman" on Youtube one day and the guy that had made the video listed it as "Pretty Woman, sung by Elvis." So, I thought to myself that maybe Elvis really isn't as over-rated or bad as I thought. So, after that song finished, I Youtubed "Elvis Presley" and I was amazed. Smithersjones' video's were what opened me up to Elvis. As I watched his video's, I would click on the related videos and that is how my interest in Elvis spread. A few weeks later, I watched "Suspicious Minds" from the "Aloha From Hawaii" show for the first time. That was the video that made my draw drop. I was really surprised when he borrowed that woman's fan and then kissed her. Jeez, where would I be without Youtube.

And yes, I have to agree. Elvis was a little stiff compared to his other concerts but I could understand why. He was under a strict time limit and I could imagine that he was really nervous to have the whole world watching him. (Before anybody starts a big argument, yes, I know it was aired the next day. I don't want to see another good thread gone bad.)

utmom2008
02-03-2009, 03:42 AM
So, after that song finished, I Youtubed "Elvis Presley" and I was amazed. Smithersjones' video's were what opened me up to Elvis. As I watched his video's, I would click on the related videos and that is how my interest in Elvis spread.

I have never seen video's that compare to Smitherjones' videos. They were fantastic! I keep looking, hoping he'll come back under a new name. If you find him please let us know and I'll do the same!(y)

LtCarman
02-03-2009, 03:48 AM
I have never seen video's that compare to Smitherjones' videos. They were fantastic! I keep looking, hoping he'll come back under a new name. If you find him please let us know and I'll do the same!(y)

Yep, same here. I've been looking for months.

Brian
02-03-2009, 04:22 AM
Though I have to say, Elvis documentary's were not the best in the world, but they are not as bad as you describe them Brian. (Why am I still arguing with you? My god!)

However, I disagree with the fact that "Elvis fooled around too much." That is what made Elvis, Elvis. That is what set him apart from the rest. How many singers do you see today hop off the stage to kiss fans. None that I know of. I would rather see some interaction with the audience as opposed to a straight forward show.

That's just your opinion

I don't agree with that

TotallyInsane
02-03-2009, 04:26 AM
That's just your opinion

I don't agree with that

Maybe your seat at the Astrodome was so close that you couldn't appreciate the humor he had to offer cause you were being blinded by the lights!!!

ehollier
02-03-2009, 04:28 AM
Maybe your seat at the Astrodome was so close that you couldn't appreciate the humor he had to offer cause you were being blinded by the lights!!!

I'm watching your boy Bruce right now, and he just finished singing that song..... "blinded by the light....."

Brian
02-03-2009, 04:29 AM

humors okay

too much of it is a problem for me

TotallyInsane
02-03-2009, 04:29 AM
My boy Bruce is hot!!!!!!!!

LtCarman
02-03-2009, 04:32 AM

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

LtCarman
02-03-2009, 04:33 AM
That's just your opinion

I don't agree with that

Just like how I don't agree with 100+ things. Now we are even.

ehollier
02-03-2009, 04:33 AM
humors okay

too much of it is a problem for me

You may be the only person in the civilized world who suffers when there is too much humor........Is there a name for this affliction??? Geez, give us all a break!!!!!!!!

Brian
02-03-2009, 04:35 AM
You may be the only person in the world who suffers when there is too much humor........Is there a name for this affliction??? Geez, give us all a break!!!!!!!!

A break from what

LtCarman
02-03-2009, 04:38 AM
You may be the only person in the world who suffers when there is too much humor........Is there a name for this affliction??? Geez, give us all a break!!!!!!!!

I'm really starting to wonder whether Brain is actually being serious or not.

ehollier
02-03-2009, 04:42 AM
A break from what

From all of your pointless and ludicrous remarks that you know are baseless. I realize that Elvis was not a perfect person and he had many flaws, however, I do not find fault with every single thing he did or every single song he sang........take your baseless opinions elsewhere, please.

Brian
02-03-2009, 04:44 AM
From all of your pointless and ludicrous remarks that you know are baseless. I realize that Elvis was not a perfect person and he had many flaws, however, I do not find fault with every single thing he did or every single song he sang........take your baseless opinions elsewhere, please.

you may not like my opinions but I wouldn't call them baseless

I'm not going anywhere

ehollier
02-03-2009, 04:46 AM
you may not like my opinions but I wouldn't call them baseless

I'm not going anywhere

Well I want you to know, I've gone to bed with happier thoughts. :'( :'( :'( Good to know you'll be here stirring the pot again tomorrow. I'll show up prepared.

Brian
02-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Well I want you to know, I've gone to bed with happier thoughts. :'( :'( :'( Good to know you'll be here stirring the pot again tomorrow. I'll show up prepared.

not this again

I give an honest opinion about TTWII and I'm accused of being controversial or stirring the pot

LtCarman
02-03-2009, 04:51 AM
I WAS READING TODAY THAT THE COLONEL WAS SERIOULSY CONSIDERING BROADCASTING AN ELVIS SHOW IN 1970 IN CLOSE CIRCUIT. I THINK THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT AS WE WOULD HAVE HAD MORE FOOTAGE OF ELVIS IN CONCERT.
CAN ANYONE ELABORATE ABOUT THIS STORY?

As an attempt to steer this back on topic, I'm glad they choose to do a documentary. It opened up the new Elvis to the general public and as mentioned before, a pay-per view feature would have been low quality and any chance of that footage surviving is minimal.

What I think they should have done was to record the complete shows and show them as a kind of a preview item to the actual theatrical release as a TV special, but that's just me.

Brian
02-03-2009, 05:03 AM
What I think they should have done was to record the complete shows and show them as a kind of a preview item to the actual theatrical release as a TV special, but that's just me.

I think that's a good idea

utmom2008
02-03-2009, 05:03 AM
I think that's a good idea

:supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced::supriced:

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jumpsuit Junkie
02-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Play nice folks, lets not get personal. (y)

ehollier
02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
What made me become a fan is quite unusual, at least, to me.

................... I watched "Suspicious Minds" from the "Aloha From Hawaii" show for the first time. That was the video that made my draw drop. I was really surprised when he borrowed that woman's fan and then kissed her. Jeez, where would I be without Youtube.........

If he knocked your socks off with "Suspicious Minds" in the Aloha show, he must have completely blown your mind and rendered you speechless when he performed it in TTWII......

TotallyInsane
02-03-2009, 01:51 PM
If he knocked your socks off with "Suspicious Minds" in the Aloha show, he must have completely blown your mind and rendered you speechless when he performed it in TTWII......

That is EXACTLY what happened to me!!!!!

ehollier
02-03-2009, 01:56 PM
That is EXACTLY what happened to me!!!!!

And let me guess.........you've never been the same since, right???????? :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

LtCarman
02-03-2009, 08:28 PM

Yeah, he did when I saw snippets of it on Youtube. Especially during "Love Me Tender."