PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite item in your collection

rod
04-18-2004, 10:40 PM
whats the most favourite peice in your elvis collection.
mines a concert scarf from huntsville alabama 30/5/75. it cost me a arm and a leg but im happy with it.
i sure would like a autograph but i don't know enough about them without buying a fake.

NightRider
04-18-2004, 11:41 PM
The favourite thing(s) in my collection are my cd's (y)

His music is always the most important thing :D

The most valuable or precious item has to be my autograph. Traded last year from an Elvis collector who had five or six of them.

Its signed 'Sincerely Elvis presley "60" '. haven't had it proffesionally checked out, but everyone that has seen it believe it to be genuine.

Who knows ? I believe it to be - it hangs with pride ( well a copy of it does ) on my living room wall (y)

circa1956
04-19-2004, 04:00 AM
I'm only 19...I'll be 20 on May 4th...so I haven't collected a lot of things yet. And I have nothing really worth any value to anybody other than sentimental to me.

I have an enormous scrapbook of articles about him from the '50s and '60s that I've been working on since I was 16 and adore and would die if I lost it or it was ruined...I have a magazine from 1956 by the boyfriend/girlfriend corp. totally devoted to him called "Elvis Presley Photo Album"--I've seen a picture of it shown on the "Elvis & June" dvd... it has a picture inside, "The first lifesize portrait ever published of Elvis"--I laugh everytime is see it because if it was life size, Elvis would of had a hard time walking with that big of a nogin...

My "Elvis Sings Flaming Star" album that my aunt from New York bought from a shop up there and sent it to me last thanksgiving... I could sigh looking at the photo on it all day ;)

The only weird thing I guess I do own and I don't talk about having often is a pressed rose from one of the arrangements fans sent on the day he died that Vernon let everyone take one of...my aunt who lives in FL sent it to me.

- Stacy

Captain Elwood David
04-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by NightRider@Apr 18 2004, 10:41 PM
The most valuable or precious item has to be my autograph. Traded last year from an Elvis collector who had five or six of them.

Its signed 'Sincerely Elvis presley "60" '. haven't had it proffesionally checked out, but everyone that has seen it believe it to be genuine.

Who knows ? I believe it to be - it hangs with pride ( well a copy of it does ) on my living room wall (y)
Generally speaking, it doesn't bode well if obtained from somebody who already had 5 or 6 other signatures ........ especially on a "Trade."

I could, of course, be wrong, too.

Sorry, just couldn't help offering my "unsolicited" "opinion."

- Capt. "EL."

NightRider
04-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Captain Elwood David+Apr 19 2004, 07:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Captain Elwood David @ Apr 19 2004, 07:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NightRider@Apr 18 2004, 10:41 PM

Its signed &#39;Sincerely Elvis presley "60" &#39;. haven&#39;t had it proffesionally checked out, but everyone that has seen it believe it to be genuine.

Generally speaking, it doesn&#39;t bode well if obtained from somebody who already had 5 or 6 other signatures ........ especially on a "Trade."

I could, of course, be wrong, too.

Sorry, just couldn&#39;t help offering my "unsolicited" "opinion."

- Capt. "EL." [/b][/quote]
Thanks Capt. "EL."

Your opinion is usually spot on. Especially regarding autographs etc.

The collector i spoke has been a friend of mine for many years. The five or six autographs were all purchased by him over the years.

He has been an Elvis Fan for over forty years. Has had the pleasure of seeing Elvis on two occasions ( lucky bugger ).

And still i agree - it may not be genuine ( although i think it is ). But he certainly would not have traded it to me if he knew it was anything but the real thing. (y)

rod
04-19-2004, 09:24 PM
good for you nightrider its good haveing friends that can help you out like that.
its good that you enjoy your autograph.its like most elvis things unless you saw elvis sign the autograph of give the scarf away you don,t know for sure. :D

NightRider
04-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by rod@Apr 19 2004, 08:24 PM
its like most elvis things unless you saw elvis sign the autograph of give the scarf away you don,t know for sure. :D
No,i suppose you never can be 100% sure Rod. Unless you witness the actual event.

But your not putting me off...i&#39;m as sure as eggs is eggs and the sun will go down....... won&#39;t it :blink:

Captain Elwood David
04-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Regarding 100% Certainty:

As for scarves - agreed, impossible

As for autographs - not true, at all. It goes both ways. You can tell with 100% certainty when something is fake ................ & in some cases, 99 - 100% certainty when something is genuine (depends upon the sig., of course).

Some sigs. do fall into the "questionable" / uncertain category. In such cases, I would agree with the less than 100% certainty statements.

----------------------------------

At any rate, it is not my intention to rain on anybody&#39;s parade nor make waves. Just trying to interject some healthy reality into the situation / discussion. I fully understand your position, NightRider.

Glad you enjoy the piece, for that is all that matters.

- Capt. "EL."

Scatter
04-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Did Elvis date his autograph? Normally you don&#39;t see a date with the signature. But if it gives you pleasure - what the heck&#33;

I have a concert scarf, but it was one of the thousands made up for one of his tours. Never used. Probably one of them to be sold at the end of the shows.

It&#39;s difficult to know what is genuine, unless Elvis gave it to you personally. Even some of the guys around him can&#39;t be trusted 100% with their letters of authenticity.

Captain Elwood David
04-20-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Scatter@Apr 20 2004, 12:10 AM
Did Elvis date his autograph? Normally you don&#39;t see a date with the signature. But if it gives you pleasure - what the heck&#33;

I have a concert scarf, but it was one of the thousands made up for one of his tours. Never used. Probably one of them to be sold at the end of the shows.

It&#39;s difficult to know what is genuine, unless Elvis gave it to you personally. Even some of the guys around him can&#39;t be trusted 100% with their letters of authenticity.
EP did date his sigs., on occassion. Generally not, though. In fact, most that I do see that are "dated", are usually forgeries.

Having a dated sig. in no way increases the value of a piece, nor does it increase the appeal. It is, however, another key in evaluating the authenticity of sigs..

One can never be 100% certain with concert scarves, unless received themselves or witnessed. The same scarves were sold thru vendors at countless venues at EP&#39;s concerts, in addition to being given out by EP.

Privately worn scarves, off-stage, are a different matter. Depending upon the source, one can be pretty certain as to authenticity.

Genuineness ultimately comes down to provenance / primary source of the item. With some sources, I wouldn&#39;t trust them as far as I could throw them. Other sources are 100% solid ---&#62; experience & items associated with them, obviously genuine / authentic. Believe it or not, come across enough pieces and legit items sometimes speak for themselves immediately when viewed / evaluated.

It all depends. No absolutes in either direction, either positive or negative .... in this area.

- Capt. "EL."

Albert
04-20-2004, 04:23 PM
I used to have "an Elvis scarve" that was added as a bonus to the "50 worldwide records&#39; boxsets (something like 7 LP&#39;s in a box?). Even as a kid back then, I couldn&#39;t believe it was a real one (especialy when you&#39;d see the stains on it :P).

So now I have nothing special, except for my CD collection :D

P.S. If I had the money, I would like to own a piece of personally owned Elvis "thing" (from gun to book).

NightRider
04-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Captain Elwood David@Apr 19 2004, 11:56 PM
At any rate, it is not my intention to rain on anybody&#39;s parade nor make waves. Just trying to interject some healthy reality into the situation / discussion. I fully understand your position, NightRider.

Glad you enjoy the piece, for that is all that matters.

I didn&#39;t think you were Capt. "EL."

I value your opinion over most peoples concerning such matters (y)

I was just giving some background as to where it came from.

P.S. Annie
04-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Albert@Apr 20 2004, 03:23 PM
So now I have nothing special, except for my CD collection&nbsp; :D

P.S. If I had the money, I would like to own a piece of personally owned Elvis "thing"
My cd&#39;s are indeed also the most valuable things, but I would love to have something authentic, but most things are very expensive and I wouldn&#39;t know if it is real or not. But maybe in the future :clap:

Captain Elwood David
04-21-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by NightRider@Apr 20 2004, 07:30 PM
I didn&#39;t think you were Capt. "EL."

I value your opinion over most peoples concerning such matters.

I was just giving some background as to where it came from.
Much appreciated, NightRider.

- Capt. "EL."

--------------------------------------------

PSAnnie -

There are people out there who can aid you in your quest.

It is indeed expensive & there are many who feel exactly the same as you (would like to, but hesitate due to price / authenticity issues).

Things were easier 10 years ago in this area. Times have changed dramatically, but it is still doable for those that really want it.

P.S. Annie
04-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Captain Elwood David@Apr 21 2004, 01:43 AM

PSAnnie -

There are people out there who can aid you in your quest.

It is indeed expensive & there are many who feel exactly the same as you (would like to, but hesitate due to price / authenticity issues).

Things were easier 10 years ago in this area. Times have changed dramatically, but it is still doable for those that really want it.
Thanks Captain (y) Where do I start looking? I know ebay, but like said before it is hard to find something authentic :help:

kennyelvis
04-21-2004, 09:45 PM
My favourite item :blink:
I think that must be my bootleg collection, and my picture collection.
I also got 200-300 Elvis magazins from the 70, 80, and 90`s that i have up very high on my list, it`s only fan club magazins, but i love to take out the oldis and read them over and over again :clap:

NightRider
04-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by kennyelvis@Apr 21 2004, 08:45 PM
I also got 200-300 Elvis magazins from the 70, 80, and 90`s that i have up very high on my list, it`s only fan club magazins, but i love to take out the oldis and read them over and over again :clap:
I have about the same amount of Elvis Monthly&#39;s from over here in the uk.

Haven&#39;t dug them out in years...i&#39;ll have to have a search through. :blink:

I can&#39;t recall the first one i have - i think it was 1966 :D

Very much b/w in the early days - changing to colour in the late 70&#39;s/ early 80&#39;s.

Albert
04-21-2004, 11:54 PM
And if you have some money to spare, then you can shop on this site: www.elvisowned.com (http://www.elvisowned.com/) (y)

Captain Elwood David
04-22-2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by P.S. Annie@Apr 21 2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks Captain (y) Where do I start looking? I know ebay, but like said before it is hard to find something authentic.
PSAnnie -

You need to have something particular in mind & a realistic price-range.

PM me and I can advise.

I assure you, there are authentic items out there ---&#62; they are not generally to be found on Ebay (although they do appear there on rare occassions).

Caveat: how much one will / can spend is directly proportional to the rarity / desirability of the items available. At the very least, these kinds of items start in the low thousands. I didn&#39;t make things this way, ........... that is just the way it is nowadays (for good & bad).

I often come across fellow fans that don&#39;t have realistic expectations as to what this area of collecting truly entails.

Like I said, ....... for those that really / truly want it ------&#62; they find a way.

I had to as well. It&#39;s called sacrifice, commitment, and busting one&#39;s posterior - if necessary.

- Capt. "EL."

PS - "ElvisOwned" is an interesting site, but some items are not as represented.

curtis simpkins
04-22-2004, 09:09 AM
My favourite item

has to be my vinyl collection, and to this day i still play my vinyls and sometime i play my cd collection, but most of time it is the vinyl i play the most :D

P.S. Annie
04-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Captain Elwood David@Apr 22 2004, 03:02 AM
PSAnnie -

You need to have something particular in mind & a realistic price-range.

PM me and I can advise.

Thanks capt. I will :clap: