PDA

View Full Version : What was the hardest rock or most psychedelic music Elvis bought or liked?

RPO R6V
01-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Elvis' music but I like lots of other stuff too. I just discovered your site here - this is great! As I think of Elvis' music and how it influenced other musicians, and how other musicians influenced him, and the kinds of music he liked, I find myself wondering: What would Elvis think of my CD collection? I'm guessing he wouldn't care for my Frank Zappa CD's, for instance. And he might not be crazy about my Led Zeppelin CD's. But does anyone know what is the "hardest" rock act Elvis ever liked, bought an album of, or even commented on liking? And I keep thinking of the same question except in the genre of, let's say, psychedelic rock. Although he seemingly wasn't big on "hippies" or counterculture, did he ever express a liking or interest in any act or song in that kind of genre? Maybe he liked the harmonies of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young or appreciated the talent of Jimi Hendrix? As I said, I love Elvis' music but I'm sure I haven't read nearly as many books about the man himself as most of you have, so I was just wondering if anyone had any opinion on this.

Keep up the great site!

Brian
01-25-2009, 03:41 AM
Elvis didn't like psychedelic music or Hard Rock

he disliked there music if he heard it and he didn't know who most of those artists were.

RPO R6V
01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
I guess I knew he didn't like hard rock in general or psychedelic rock in general, but what would anyone say is the "hardest" or "closest to psychedelic" artist he liked? That's kind of a subjective question, though.

Brian
01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
I guess I knew he didn't like hard rock in general or psychedelic rock in general, but what would anyone say is the "hardest" or "closest to psychedelic" artist he liked? That's kind of a subjective question, though.

I don't think Elvis really listened to many of the contemporary rock bands of the 60's or 70's

I think he liked C.C.R somewhat but they are not what I consider close to hard rock.

He liked the early Beatles but didn't like any of their psychedilic music or that type of music at all.

Raised on Rock
01-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Elvis didn't like psychedelic music or Hard Rock

he disliked there music if he heard it and he didn't know who most of those artists were.

True, but unacurate, he always said it was about the song/artist, not about music styles, but its acording the song.

True, he was not fond of psychedelic music, but he DID liked Eric Burdon and The Animals and owned a couple records (probably he liked much more the R&B oriented material than the psychedelic stuff), and he said about "Strairway to Heaven" acording to one of the Stanley brothers, that "it was rather good", he also meet with Plant and Bonham a couple times and had sort of goodtimes with them acording to Plant.

Elvis said in '65 that The Rolling Stones were his favourite British band after the Bealtes, we do know he was on with the Beatles during their early days, then he was not to much into their psychedelic years (although he had a copy of Sgt Peppers LP), but he dig them back during their Hey Jude, Get Back period.

He liked The Bydrs, and he had big respect for Bob Dylan, more as a songwriter anyhow, but I guess during the 60's he was much more into soul and R&B, the Motown acts, the stuff out of Stax and Volt, Mr. Jame Brown funk, Otis Redding, and so. And he always relied on his good old collection of blues, and R&B '45rpm from the 40's and 50's, what he lisened during his teenage days as most people.

I guess his so called dislike towards rock bands from the second half of the 60's its exagerated, and had more to do with Elvis political ideology (and maybe bitternes because his lack of popularity at the time) than with the music itself, which made him stay away form hearing more bands from that period carefuly. Im sure that if he had the chance of hearing stuff like the harmonys of CST&Y and so, and let himself just lisen to the music, he surely would have apreciate it.

Anyhow it is funny that yes, Elvis expressed that he did not apreciate drug music much, while at the same time he was heavy into Aldous Huxley and Leary and did experimented with Cannabis and LSD during the mid 60's. I guess he just changed his mind about it later on, or the mind expanding trips of his just left him with a desire to go for something with much more meaning than the multimillion seller teenage fad that the psychedelic era became for the music industry.

P.D. Big Zappa's fan over here too RPO.

Brian
01-26-2009, 02:34 AM
True, he was not fond of psychedelic music, but he DID liked Eric Burdon and The Animals and owned a couple records (probably he liked much more the R&B oriented material than the psychedelic stuff), and he said about "Strairway to Heaven" acording to one of the Stanley Brothers, that "it was rather good", he also meet with Plant and Bonham a couple times and had short goodtimes with them acording to Plant.

Elvis said in '65 that The Rolling Stones were his favourite British band after the Bealtes, we do know he was on with the Beatles during their early days, then we was not to much into their psychedelic years, but he dig them back during their Hey Jude, Get Back period.

I guess his so called dislike towards rock bands from the second half of the 60's its exagerated, and had more to do with Elvis political ideology than with the music itself, which made him stay away form hearing more bands from that period. Im sure that if he had the chance of hearing stuff like the harmonys of CST&Y and let himself just lisen to the music, he surely would have apreciate it.

The question was did Elvis like psychedilic or Hard Rock music

I don't think his dislike for 60's rock bands is exaggerated

Elvis liked the music he liked and disliked the music he disliked.

As for the Rolling Stones I don't think Elvis liked them because of Mick Jagger
he thought Jagger was gay looking or something like that.
and their music wasn't his cup of tea.

About Led Zeppelin I wouldn't believe anything the Stanley brothers say

shelley.m.
01-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Maybe Elvis figured "Psychedilic" music meant drugs and hippies.You never know.

Raised on Rock
01-26-2009, 06:26 AM
The question was did Elvis like psychedilic or Hard Rock music

I don't think his dislike for 60's rock bands is exaggerated

Elvis liked the music he liked and disliked the music he disliked.

About Led Zeppelin I wouldn't believe anything the Stanley brothers say

As for the Rolling Stones, he, Elvis, is on tape, in an interview with the guy of Herman Hermits, saying it, Rolling Stones, favourite band after the Beatles. Now that was in '65, he might not liked them latter on during another fase of theirs, what is your source?

About Zeppelin, well, that is what they said, well you can choose to believe it or not, anyway, Led Zeppelin music is much more related to Elvis music than The Beatles, so I can't see anyreason o
for Elvis do not enjoying them. Even, they meet and they get along far much better in those meetings than the one of Elvis and the Beatles.

I guess the main reason about Elvis being sometimes at odds about what was going in music, was a lack of time or disposition, to just sit and discover new bands lisening to the radio. He seemed to be so feed up in his mind about so many issues that just didn't had the mood he had in his teens to just loose himself in record stores or listening to the radio, discovering new music, so he keept, like must people after they 30's, in a confort zone just listening to the artist he was already familiar with, doing no effort to understand music that might be not appealing at first cause it is not what we are used to. A big fault if you are a musician from my point of view.

Anyhow, the way some people percieve him: As the guy that only played oldies records from the 50's, and didnīt had a clue about what was going on, just because he expressed that he was not crazy about some of the big names in conterculture 60's rock, it is what I call exagerated, not his dislike to whatever music.

Brian
01-26-2009, 06:31 AM
As for the Rolling Stones, he, Elvis, is on tape, in an interview with the guy of Herman Hermits, saying it was his favourite band after the Beatles, now that was in '65, he might not liked Jagger latter on during his mid '70s gay fase,
but what is your source?

All the memphis mafia guys and George klein

I figure they would know if Elvis listened or liked the Rolling Stones

They say Elvis just didn't like them even in the early period

Raised on Rock
01-26-2009, 06:42 AM
All the memphis mafia guys and George klein

I figure they would know if Elvis listened or liked the Rolling Stones

They say Elvis just didn't like them even in the early period

Well Elvis is on tape saying he did, but oh well may he was just telling bull%@*it, as good Memphis Mafia member No1. ;)

utmom2008
01-26-2009, 07:06 AM

Where did you read that? He thought Mick Jagger was gay looking? So, are you saying that Elvis was a homophobe?:doh:

Patricia Fonseca
01-26-2009, 07:08 AM
The memphis mafia and George Klein not be credible (n)

Brian
01-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Where did you read that? He thought Mick Jagger was gay looking? So, are you saying that Elvis was a homophobe?:doh:

I heard it from Marty Lacker

it's possible that he might have been to a certain extent at least.

Brian
01-26-2009, 07:15 AM
The memphis mafia and George Klein not be credible (n)

that's your'e view not mine

when they all say that Elvis didn't like the Rolling Stones I tend to believe it

now if it was just George Klein saying it and nobody else then I would be more inclined to agree with you

Albert
01-26-2009, 10:53 AM
When Elvis liked a particular song, he would record it or play it live. So that says pretty much all about his taste. He obviously loved gospel, ballads and country over all other types of music.

So if Elvis would have liked hard rock, he would have recorded it, or even played it during rehearsals or warmingup sessions.

Wendy56
01-27-2009, 02:04 AM
So if Elvis would have liked hard rock, he would have recorded it, or even played it during rehearsals or warmingup sessions.
Like Sky Riders song and Mama don't dance? :)