PDA

View Full Version : Rock songwriters in the 70's?

Brian
01-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Hi everyone

As you all know
Elvis said during the MSG press conference that it was hard to find good rock songs and he is often criticized by a lot of people for not recording more rock n'' roll in the 70's.

I am curious
Can anybody name any non performing rock n'' roll songwriters who wrote rock songs in the 70's for other artists?

Dino78
01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
I think after the 60's it was usual that performers wrote their own stuff. So there weren't only writers as far as I know.

But I read it several times that artists like Lennon, McCartney, Springsteen, ... had loved to write especially for Elvis. Unfortunately Elvis needed writers who wrote more or less exclusive for him, like Leiber-Stoller or Pomus-Shuman did it for a while.

Another problem might be find in the payment for those writers. As far as I know all songs had to be published in one Elvis-related catalog, so they had to give away about the half of their rights on this song. And I think all of them wouldn't accept such a approach.

Brian
01-08-2009, 03:01 AM
I think after the 60's it was usual that performers wrote their own stuff. So there weren't only writers as far as I know.

But I read it several times that artists like Lennon, McCartney, Springsteen, ... had loved to write especially for Elvis. Unfortunately Elvis needed writers who wrote more or less exclusive for him, like Leiber-Stoller or Pomus-Shuman did it for a while.

Another problem might be find in the payment for those writers. As far as I know all songs had to be published in one Elvis-related catalog, so they had to give away about the half of their rights on this song. And I think all of them wouldn't accept such a approach.

thank you, for the reply

Yes, I know this

I was just wondering if there was any non performing songwriters who could've written songs for Elvis during this period, publishing issues aside

I wanted to know if they exsisted in the 70's or if it was all singer-songwriter

KPM
01-08-2009, 04:52 AM
I think its hard to pin down what a non-singer songwriter is?
Dennis Linde was a great songwriter-and he was also a singer-but he was never known for his singing and performing. He never hit it big as a performer.
So he is best known for writing songs like "Burning Love" which Elvis made a huge hit.
Eddie Rabbitt was a songwriter and singer-he was not well known when Elvis recorded "Kentucky Rain" but that hit opened a lot of doors for Eddie and he eventually became a pretty big country rock artist on his own.
I think from the late 60s on most writers wanted to be recording artists-so there were probably very few who just wrote rock songs without being a performer in their own right on some level.

Brian
01-08-2009, 05:50 AM
I think its hard to pin down what a non-singer songwriter is?
Dennis Linde was a great songwriter-and he was also a singer-but he was never known for his singing and performing. He never hit it big as a performer.
So he is best known for writing songs like "Burning Love" which Elvis made a huge hit.
Eddie Rabbitt was a songwriter and singer-he was not well known when Elvis recorded "Kentucky Rain" but that hit opened a lot of doors for Eddie and he eventually became a pretty big country rock artist on his own.
I think from the late 60s on most writers wanted to be recording artists-so there were probably very few who just wrote rock songs without being a performer in their own right on some level.

I know Dennis Linde sang but I consider him a songwriter because he never made it big and made his living as a writer

When Eddie wrote Kentucky Rain he had not become famous so when Elvis recorded it he was strictly a songwriter.

I was mainly talking about Rock songwriters, either professional writers or singer-songwriters who are so obscure that if Elvis did one of their songs it would be like Elvis singing an original tune.

I consider both Hoyt Axton and Leon Russell to be two examples of the latter

KPM
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I know Dennis Linde sang but I consider him a songwriter because he never made it big and made his living as a writer

When Eddie wrote Kentucky Rain he had not become famous so when Elvis recorded it he was strictly a songwriter.

I was mainly talking about Rock songwriters, either professional writers or singer-songwriters who are so obscure that if Elvis did one of their songs it would be like Elvis singing an original tune.

Leon Russell was very well known in the 70s (at least in the circles I kept.)
In 1972, his album Carney reached #2 on the charts, fueled by the hit single "Tightrope".
Hoyt Axton was also a performer/actor but he hit big time with 3 Dog Nights hit of his song" Joy to the World" and "Never Been to Spain" He wrote songs for Steppenwolf ,John Denver etc.......

utmom2008
01-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Good gosh!:supriced::supriced::supriced:Hoyt Axton and Leon Russell were anything but obscure. EVERY friend I knew had the Leon Russell album and/or 8-track in 1972.:blink::blink:

KPM
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Good gosh!:supriced::supriced::supriced:Hoyt Axton and Leon Russell were anything but obscure. EVERY friend I knew had the Leon Russell album and/or 8-track in 1972.:blink::blink:
Leon always had a demonic look to me-almost a Manson look.:lol:

Elvis42
01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
and a side note to all of this...for those that don't know Hoyt Axton's mother Mae co-wrote Elvis' hit "Heartbreak Hotel"

Brian
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Leon Russell was very well known in the 70s (at least in the circles I kept.)
In 1972, his album Carney reached #2 on the charts, fueled by the hit single "Tightrope".
Hoyt Axton was also a performer/actor but he hit big time with 3 Dog Nights hit of his song" Joy to the World" and "Never Been to Spain" He wrote songs for Steppenwolf ,John Denver etc.......

I knew who Hoyt Axton was as an actor but several of his songs were recorded by other artists. He never really hit it big as a singer imo

Yeah I know Leon from Tightrope but he wrote several songs that other artists recorded. I think he should have much bigger.

Brian
01-09-2009, 12:02 AM

I guess I was out of the loop

WHITETIGERMAN
01-09-2009, 01:10 AM
I remember both Hoyt Axton and Leon Russell............my family listened to alot of music.
I think it was in the 90's that Hoyt did his cover of Heartbreak Hotel and did a video that had an all star country cast.I remember as he finished and as the song was ending in the video he said thank you mama for writing this song.
They both were well known.........mainly in country music.

Brian
01-09-2009, 01:36 AM
I remember both Hoyt Axton and Leon Russell............my family listened to alot of music.
I think it was in the 90's that Hoyt did his cover of Heartbreak Hotel and did a video that had an all star country cast.I remember as he finished and as the song was ending in the video he said thank you mama for writing this song.
They both were well known.........mainly in country music.

if you say so

WHITETIGERMAN
01-09-2009, 01:46 AM
if you say so

If I had not seen it........I would not have posted it.He recorded it and is on his album from 1990 entitled Spin Of The Wheel.

Brian
01-09-2009, 01:56 AM
If I had not seen it........I would not have posted it.He recorded it and is on his album from 1990 entitled Spin Of The Wheel.

I meant

The part about them being well known especially in country music

WHITETIGERMAN
01-09-2009, 01:58 AM
I meant

The part about them being well known especially in country music

Sorry......my bad.....well....I remember seeing Hoyt on Hee Haw.....I know they were not BIG in the field I meant that that's where I knew them from was country.

Brian
01-09-2009, 01:58 AM
It's really too bad that Elvis didn't have a songwriter in his band

WHITETIGERMAN
01-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Tell me about it............maybe some chart toppers could have been produced in the
70's.My Dad said one time if Elvis had crossed over to country around 74 or 75.....he could have had it made there.Who knows......that was his opinion.

Brian
01-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Tell me about it............maybe some chart toppers could have been produced in the
70's.My Dad said one time if Elvis had crossed over to country around 74 or 75.....he could have had it made there.Who knows......that was his opinion.

Yeah I agree with him

Elvis did have several country hits in the 70's

I think if Elvis had lived his best bet for a comeback would have been as a country performer.

WHITETIGERMAN
01-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Yeah I agree with him

Elvis did have several country hits in the 70's

I think if Elvis had lived his best bet for a comeback would have been as a country performer.

Totally........................would have been something to see him go over and take on country........after he almost killed it in the 50's....LOL

Brian
01-09-2009, 06:08 AM
no one knows any non singing songwriters that could've written some songs for Elvis in the 70's?

KPM
01-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I think Elvis would have been hard to pin down into recording any certain music style exclusively, be it rock, country, blues, pop etc....mainly because he had always been all over the board with what he recorded. He knew what he liked-and if he liked it he wanted to cover it, or to do something similar. Since he liked all kinds of music this made his taste very eclectic. But it would have been nice if he had followed the "Elvis Country" album with similar attempts in rock, blues....whatever.

SleepyJack
01-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Sorry Brian...but none spring to mind yet!:blush: What I would really like to know is this....Did Elvis really believe that it was this hard to find people capable of writing good rock songs???...He could have easily found people to write for him.... or brought out an album of already existing rock songs at the time...they didn`t have to neccessarily be new songs. If I had my way he would have done an entire album of Chuck Berry covers......and they would have ROCKED!:hmm:

KPM
01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Sorry Brian...but none spring to mind yet!:blush: What I would really like to know is this....Did Elvis really believe that it was this hard to find people capable of writing good rock songs???...He could have easily found people to write for him.... or brought out an album of already existing rock songs at the time...they didn`t have to neccessarily be new songs. If I had my way he would have done an entire album of Chuck Berry covers......and they would have ROCKED!:hmm:
I'm sure he could have if there were no monetary restrictions on the songwriters percentage. I just don't think Elvis was really looking that hard for rock songs-maybe it was his state of mind or maybe he was looking for songs which displayed his depth as a vocalist.

Brian
01-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Yes I think he did

There was a lack of professional rock n'' roll songwriters in the 70's

So it was hard for a non songwriter like Elvis to find any

I've heard that Felton Jarvis actually did bring Elvis some rockers over the years but he didn't like them and thought they were of poor quality.

Even that rocker Fire Down below Jerry Scheff wrote for Elvis, I don't think it was a good song at all.