PDA

View Full Version : Elvis And Merle Haggard

waymore44
12-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Does anyone know if Elvis ever met Merle Haggard? If so, I wonder what he thought of his music? I wonder this because James Burton played for both of them. Also anyone know about if EP met Emmylou or Gram Parsons?

Brian
12-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know if Elvis ever met Merle Haggard? If so, I wonder what he thought of his music? I wonder this because James Burton played for both of them. Also anyone know about if EP met Emmylou or Gram Parsons?

I think Elvis met Merle once in Vegas

knowing that Elvis liked country music he probably liked Merle

I don't think Elvis met or knew who Gram Parsons was

I've never heard of Elvis meeting Emmylou but he might have.

presley31
12-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Not sure if merle and elvis ever met, but here is a tribute to elvis Presley, 1977.

avySBuLYxH4

waymore44
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah Merle loves Elvis, but I've never heard him talk about meeting him.

john carpenter
12-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Not sure if merle and elvis ever met, but here is a tribute to elvis Presley, 1977.

avySBuLYxH4I love From Graceland to the Promised Land by Merle. I,ve seen it on one of "the hags" albums/cds. Thanks for the video!(y)

Leroy
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Waymore, Emmylou Harris & Gram Parsons did meet Elvis in August/September 1972 in Las Vegas.

jak
12-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Merle did meet Elvis backstage in Vegas.Later he summed up the meeting by saying his "idol had fallen".He went on to say that sometimes it's best never to meet someone you hold in such high regard because you might be dissapointed. Elvis had been heckled during his performance which Merle attended.Merle said Elvis was still upset about it when they met and was still in a foul mood.

KPM
12-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Merle did meet Elvis backstage in Vegas.Later he summed up the meeting by saying his "idol had fallen".He went on to say that sometimes it's best never to meet someone you hold in such high regard because you might be dissapointed. Elvis had been heckled during his performance which Merle attended.Merle said Elvis was still upset about it when they met and was still in a foul mood.
Merle is still a huge Elvis fan though. My brother is a Merle fan and has a lot of his records-in Merles live shows, Elvis and his songs make there way in quite a bit.

dannyboy1
12-19-2008, 06:04 AM
I've always been intrigued by the lyrics:

"Some say he knew how long he had to stay.
His life was two days longer than the one who gave him life,
and he almost knew the number of the day."

To be truthful I've never really liked them.

There's an implication that Elvis somehow knew in advance when he was going to die - almost down to the actual date. This smacks of the conspiracy-type claims of the likes of Gail Brewer-Giorgio and strays too close to the theories that he either staged his death or actually committed suicide.

The reference to Elvis' mother is a mistaken belief that Gladys was 42 y.o. when she died on August 14 (hence Elvis' life being "two days longer"). But of course, Gladys actually died at 46 y.o. And for him to be two days older, she would have to have been born on January 8th, which she certainly wasn't!

I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I just thought I'd share why I always thought these lyrics were silly but also strange.

john carpenter
12-19-2008, 11:02 PM
You misunderstood..he lived just two days longer meaning August 16, Gladys died August 14. 19 years apart though. understand?:hmm:

KPM
12-20-2008, 12:10 AM
You misunderstood..he lived just two days longer meaning August 16, Gladys died August 14. 19 years apart though. understand?:hmm:
That part of the song was poorly written IMO-
"he lived 2 days longer than the one who gave him life" is just not accurate. It seems to me that in order for it to be accurate they would have both had to of died in their 42nd year and been born on the same day (different years of course). I guess he was using what is called "Poetic license" But its is just not an accurate line.

dannyboy1
12-20-2008, 09:29 AM
No John, you missed the point, but KPM got it. Regardless of how many years apart they were, Elvis' life couldn't have been "two days longer" unless both he and his mother were born on January 8, lived for 42 years and then died on August 14 and 16.

I agree that the lyrics were poorly written. Does anyone know whether Haggard himself wrote them? I remember that in 1977 and the years that followed there was a lot of the talk about Elvis knowing when he was going to die. Kathy Westmoreland even fed into it, saying Elvis said eerie things to her about dying soon. Forgive me, since this was thirty years ago, but I also remember someone (Kathy?) claiming that Elvis said he was going to look good in his coffin.

Just thinking back makes me glad that those days of media coverage of Elvis are gone.

And my apologies again. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.