PDA

View Full Version : If you were Lisa...

Ronn
11-24-2008, 02:00 AM
This is just a hypothetical question. I was just wondering, if you were Lisa will you let Graceland become a museum? have your dad's things put on exhibit? or sell some of his possessions? I also lost my dad several years ago and being a daughter I think there will always be some sadness and regret to see your home become an "exhibit." I have kept some of my dad's favorite things, just so I can always keep that special connection to him.

Maybe if I were Lisa, I will try to keep Graceland private and just have another place for exhibit, for the fans. That is, if money is not issue since we all know that Graceland was opened to the public because they needed the money to maintain it.

As a daughter, it may have been really tough for Lisa all these years.:sad::sad:

hounddog
11-24-2008, 03:04 AM
I think at first Lisa had very little say in it Priscilla opened up Graceland if memory serves me right. I think for Lisa now it Graceland is a place where she can let others see how great her Dad was and for people to focus on the positive aspects of Elvis.

She has a lot of stuff away from the public. The very personal items she has keep private. In the Oprah interview she took her to an area the public doesn't see where his clothes, etc are kept.

I think Graceland serves not only as a place where people can pay theirrespects to Elvis but can feel connected to him as well. I think that would be hard to do elsewhere.

MissyM
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree with Houndog. Priscilla says that Lisa didn't want to let it go but who makes decisions based on what a child thinks? Lisa would have dealt with whatever decision her mother made.
And you all prob. know how I feel about it being opened. While I understand the fans need to go and connect, I would never have made it into a Shine for Elvis.
And as much as this may sound cold, he gave enough to the fans when he was alive(often too much) and still is in many ways.
I don't think giving them his Graceland would have ever been something he wanted. But it's water under the bridge so I'm happy you folks who go there enjoy it. It's so pristine and fussy, commercial, it really really bothers me.

SleepyJack
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
I think that Graceland as a tourist attraction and as an industry in itself has become too huge and too profitable for it ever to be anything more...Sadly the days when it was a home and a reasonably private place are long gone.....like so many things in the Elvis world it has taken on a life of its own and grown,no matter what we think or say about it.....besides,as it is I don`t think Lisa could make much if a change there...even if she wanted to.

riley
11-24-2008, 05:24 PM
quote Sleepyjack

I think that Graceland as a tourist attraction and as an industry in itself has become too huge and too profitable for it ever to be anything more...Sadly the days when it was a home and a reasonably private place are long gone.....like so many things in the Elvis world it has taken on a life of its own and grown,no matter what we think or say about it.....besides,as it is I don`t think Lisa could make much if a change there...even if she wanted to.

(y)(y):notworthy

Vany
11-24-2008, 06:58 PM
I think the problem is that Lisa never knew what was wrong about it being open to the public. She was only 14 years old when Cilla opened it, so I doubt that Lisa was really aware of what that was going to mean. Even if she'd know that thousands of fans would visit Graceland, I don't think that she knew that it would get into a kind of pilgrim place.

And though Cilla always claims that Lisa could easily change it into a family home again, I don't think this is even possible anymore since they sold 85%. I know that they didn't sell Graceland, but since Graceland is part of the merchandise I don't it's even possible to close it.

SatninLove
11-25-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm sure it is really tough for Lisa..but like everyone has said,not alot of things are on display.....the privater things Lisa has kept private....
My opinion on opening Graceland is they had to to keep Graceland afloat..Otherwise Lisa would have ended up losing most if not all of her inheritance,and Graceland would have eventually ended up out of the hands of the Presley's...so I believe Lisa's keeping it open for people to see how amazing her father was,and to carry on his legacy and memory..
-SatninLove

Jungleroom76
11-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Although I am certainly not a fan of Priscilla's, I do have to say that this was one of the things that she did that I am thankful for...keeping Graceland and opening it to the public.

According to interviews with Priscilla, the estate was on the verge of bankruptcy back in the early 80's and Priscilla didn't want Lisa to lose her heritage and her father's possessions. So instead of selling Graceland, she put together a team of people to help her open it as a museum.

TCB!
Mike

MissyM
11-26-2008, 02:00 PM
The only interest Priscilla had in keeping Graceland out of the red was purely business. It was an asset that was basically lossing more than it was taking in. She had to turn that around in order to get the second half of her settlement. Remember, her child support and maintenance was no longer coming in. Her ability to maintain her lifestyle was not the best at the time.
If you think she did it for anyone but herself, you are not being realistic. Of course she wanted to protect Lisa's inheritance. But there is a wearhouse full of possession's she could have sold to get that money and more. I know what a few people got from selling a small box of momentos that Elvis gave them. And Elvis wanted Lisa well taken care of but his intent was not to make her a billionaire. Being filthy rich was not his priority so why would he have wanted that for her.
Then again, what to do with Graceland? Why not sell it? I sure will never understand the big deal in that. Stars homes are sold all the time and the Monaville home was sold easily. For Lisa to keep it, doubtfull. She didn't care about Lisa when she decided to stay with Mike Edwards the pervert??? Because Elvis loved it so much? Look what it has become?? It is no longer Elvis's Graceland. It is a shell of his Gracland and a commercial assest period. Because she cared about the fans?? Fans=money to her and nothing more. She tried to hoard Elvis's money and resented his generosity to them and his friends.
So, with the worth of Gracland and the wearhouse full of possessions, she could have sold 1/3 of the possessions, and the house and gotten her other part of settlement and Lisa's Million back and prob. more.
It was an asset she needed to turn into a profit for herself and since Lisa would also profit...that would be great to her. Because one of the most important things to her was living a certain lifestyle.

Teddy
11-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Of course she wanted to protect Lisa's inheritance. But there is a wearhouse full of possession's she could have sold to get that money and more. I know what a few people got from selling a small box of momentos that Elvis gave them.
Perhaps Priscilla thought it might be nice if Lisa didn't have to resort to selling all her father's belongings to get by, like those other poor souls. Isn't it better to actually have them?

Something tells me that Lisa isn't regretting any of these decisions. They were the smartest Priscilla could have made.

presley31
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Although I am certainly not a fan of Priscilla's, I do have to say that this was one of the things that she did that I am thankful for...keeping Graceland and opening it to the public.

According to interviews with Priscilla, the estate was on the verge of bankruptcy back in the early 80's and Priscilla didn't want Lisa to lose her heritage and her father's possessions. So instead of selling Graceland, she put together a team of people to help her open it as a museum.

TCB!
Mike

agreed mike

Couldn't care how priscilla likes to live, but l do care how Lisa marie is looked after and knowing that she doesn't have a worry in the world that makes me happy. I think go think if they let gracland be sold than Lisa would really hate that one and not so forgiving since she would of lost everything that belonged to her father and to me that would be a shame for any daugher to go though.

MissyM
11-26-2008, 05:01 PM
OMGosh, Lisa barely has anything to do with her fathers possessions. They sit in a warehouse and secret vault on the property. She doesn't even decide which one's go on display. She wouldn't have to have given up all of them. There would have been more than enough for her to keep the special things and sell/auction the rest. It is done all the time when famous stars die. And there kids don't seem to be all whiny about it. It happens. Personally I'd rather have seen more fans have a part of Elvis they could have and hold onto and pass down to their kids-but that's just me. And, I think Elvis would have liked that, although that is speculation.
And I'd rather have seen Graceland be a home. A home with family, laughter, and love going on. Not some fussy, spruced up museum. Where Lisa may go once or twice a year and not even stay over night. So much for that sentiment. But I don't really blame her, it isn't really home anymore and eventually people move past great sentimentality. It's the natural progression of grief. He lives in her heart more than anything, I'm sure.
She can't loose her heritage. She is his daughter, where ever she lives, exists, it dwells. She didn't need Graceland for that. She is a big grown up women, not a child anymore. She made her own life with out her father. He is a part of it but not all of it.
The idea that opening it was the only option I doubt any fanancial advisor would agree on. It was the best in order for Priscilla to turn it into a profitable commercial venture. It was business pure and simple. And one that turned out to be quite lucritive.
Now you tell me, what choice would you make? Sell Graceland, and let's say 3/4 of his possessions (keeping the most precious for yourself) and end up with 2-3 million (and I am low-balling) or turn it into a multimillion dollar project?? A project that you can be center stage for the rest of your life, be famous and carry on your own legacy/fame, and live with the "stars", and be free to venture into acting?
Like I said, it served Priscilla well to do what she did. And why not... I'm sure she felt she paid the price.
Logic does not allow me to be overly romantic about the decision.
And let's remember...there was a reason he did not want her to get her hands on it. He knew her better than all of you did.

Teddy
11-26-2008, 05:08 PM
OMGosh, Lisa barely has anything to do with her fathers possessions. They sit in a warehouse and secret vault on the property. She doesn't even decide which one's go on display.

Sure, but Lisa's somewhat 'cool' attitude to her father's legacy is really beside the point. Lisa was still a child when this happened and Priscilla's natural inclination would be to preserve as much of Elvis's property in their daughter's interest as possible.

Vany
11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
And I'd rather have seen Graceland be a home. A home with family, laughter, and love going on. Not some fussy, spruced up museum.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'd rather see Lisa and her kids living there than having this house as a museum.

Plus what I'm always wondering is, if Lisa is able to go to Graceland alone (without fans) so that she could say she'd like to stay, let's say the weekend. I really doubt that this is possible. And I think that's sad.

What's bothering me is that Elvis has always been such a private person. So how would he feel if he'd know that everyone can come into his house and look at his stuff!?! (private things)

Sure Cilla wanted Lisa to keep Graceland and this is one thing I really think that Cilla did for her daughter and not the money. But I wish she would've closed it a couple of years later. I'm sure that by the end of the 80s there were enough money to keep Graceland.

Diane
11-26-2008, 06:08 PM
In Lisa's place I would kept Graceland and sold all but what meant the most to me that belonged to my dad. I could have lived quite well with a few less million dollars just enough to pay the taxes and upkeep of the house and some moderate living expenses for the rest of my life. I would have let my children sell it all after my passing if that's what they wanted to do....no strings attached.

Diane

Jungleroom76
11-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Sure, but Lisa's somewhat 'cool' attitude to her father's legacy is really beside the point. Lisa was still a child when this happened and Priscilla's natural inclination would be to preserve as much of Elvis's property in their daughter's interest as possible.

EXACTLY TEDDY!!! (y)

While Lisa doesn't make a big deal of her father's legacy NOW, how was Priscilla to know that back THEN??? :hmm:

Maybe Lisa would have been o.k. with Priscilla selling everything, maybe not....but ultimately it was AND IS Lisa's decision and Priscilla did the smart thing by doing what she did at the time to preserve Lisa's inheritance and heritage so that Lisa could ultimately make the decisions about whether to keep her father's posessions or let them go.

TCB!
Mike