PDA

View Full Version : A 'Blue Christmas' with Elvis and Martina McBride

presley31
11-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Elvis and Martina McBride spend a Blue Christmas together.
Martina McBride was just shy of 2 when Elvis Presley filmed his 1968 "comeback" TV special. This year, the country singer steps back in time 40 years to join the King of Rock 'n' Roll in a video for Blue Christmas.

The effect is similar to Celine Dion's American Idol duet with Presley on If I Can Dream in 2007, but producer George Flanigen says the process used for the illusion was entirely different.

"They took Elvis out of the '68 special and put him on the Idol stage," he says. "We were taking Martina to the '68 special."

The posthumous collaboration also appears on Elvis Presley Christmas Duets, a new album that pairs Presley with singers such as Carrie Underwood, Amy Grant and Olivia Newton-John.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: American Idol | Carrie Underwood | Celine Dion | Roll | Martina McBride | Olivia Newton-John | Amy Grant | King of Rock | Can Dream | Blue Christmas | Scotty Moore | Elvis Presley Christmas Duets | George Flanigen
In the original footage the only existing video of Elvis performing a Christmas song a leather-clad Presley appears with his band on a small stage at the center of a studio audience. In the video, McBride walks out of the audience and sits next to him.

"There's a spot between (guitarist) Scotty Moore and Elvis that's open, like somebody should have been sitting there," says Flanigen. "We're like, 'We could probably figure a way to put her with Elvis.'

"We scoured the footage and picked shots of Elvis throughout the whole special to be able to put them together. There are shots where he and Martina share the frame, where he looks over at her, where she looks back at him and sings and smiles."

McBride filmed her parts in front of a green screen. "It took four weeks" to piece together, Flanigen says

Video is in the link to watch..
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-11-14-elvis-mcbride_N.htm

Teddy
11-17-2008, 02:00 PM
This really is the final insult. :mad:
Now they're devaluing the '68 Special footage to peddle this macabre release.
This product is poison because it misrepresents Elvis's artistic intentions, disrespects his memory and even contaminates the work which he has left us.
Please send a message to the people behind the Elvis Money Machine by boycotting this release. Especially if you don't want our younger generation to be sitting through future broadcasts of the Comeback Special wondering when Martina McBride comes on. :mad:

presley31
11-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I think its interesting.

ehollier
11-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Elvis singing duets does not interest me in the least (just my personal opinion); but I think its going a little too far in putting Martina McBride on the '68 Special. Considering that Elvis' version of "Blue Christmas" isn't the same as his recorded version of 1957, but rather just filler for what has become his signature performance, I must admit that is almost disrespectful much to add McBride to the performance. Even though "Blue Christmas" isn't my favorite of Elvis' Christmas songs, for me, was always Elvis' signature Christmas song, even with all of the other wonderful tunes he has song for the holidays. "Blue Christmas" is the first song that I think of when I think of Elvis singing Christmas songs.

I am still undecided about the Celine Dion performance, however.

Teddy
11-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I think its interesting.

Maybe in the way that road kill is grimly interesting.

Teddy
11-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I am still undecided about the Celine Dion performance, however.

Let me make your mind up for you. It was an abomination.

Donut
11-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Let me make your mind up for you. It was an abomination.

Would you believe I completely agree with you? :supriced:

Teddy
11-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Would you believe I completely agree with you? :supriced:

Of course, because you actually respect the man and his art! You don't just think it would be cool to have him reanimated for Christmas in some novelty record with a woman he'd never heard of! :notworthy

presley31
11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe in the way that road kill is grimly interesting.

Teddy keep in mind we all think different and some will like it and some won't;)

KPM
11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Of course, because you actually respect the man and his art! You don't just think it would be cool to have him reanimated for Christmas in some novelty record with a woman he'd never heard of! :notworthy
I have to admit on some level I enjoy these type things-but I see what you are saying in the reanimated comment. You have to wonder if they will ever say-Have we gone to far?

ksimms2
11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I think it actually came out pretty good - I was against this cd from the beginning and still am really - but the video came out really good....

Elvos77
11-17-2008, 08:58 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LMRJL-UmfPI&hl=nl&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LMRJL-UmfPI&hl=nl&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Go full screen

ehollier
11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
My 9 year old's first response, with a strange look on her face, was "Is that Priscilla?" :lol::lol::lol: (she's only 9!) and then gave it a thumbs down(n). The video itself isn't bad, but I do not think that his music should have been paired with contemporary singers for duets for today. He did not intend for his music to be sung this way and it seems disrespectful to change his music, after all of these years.

Diane
11-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't like this at all. I don't like anyone messing with Elvis and his music. Elvis is being used once again to boost someone else's image.:angry:

Diane

KPM
11-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't like this at all. I don't like anyone messing with Elvis and his music. Elvis is being used once again to boost someone else's image.:angry:

Diane
I have to tell you as a kid I had no respect for singers like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Tony Bennett. I did not listen to them nor think they had talent-they were not of my generation. But about 20 years ago in my 30s I began to realize they were good at what they did-they had talent-they had a charisma about them. I began to buy some of their records and listen closely. I did not listen with 15-25 year old ears filtered through my idea that the only good music was my generations-I listened with unbiased ears. Elvis each year gets a fresh listen to people who reach that state of life.
I truely believe-that to be true. So things like this are okay I guess-but his own talent and charisma are the foundation of his legacy. imo

Merry
11-17-2008, 09:48 PM
The clip is well done, but the lady isn't necessary (no offense to her). I just can't see the point, too distracting. Don't like it.

Nice compliment to Elvis, though.

Diane
11-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't know why I can't stand it but it gets me really close to tears to see her in what I feel is butting in on Elvis' show. I guess I don't like anyone taking the spotlight away from him when that was all his hard work and it was so special to him finding out he still could please his fans after being away from the stage for so long. I can't explain it better than that......To me she has no business there and never earned the right to be.

Diane

Merry
11-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't know why I can't stand it but it gets me really close to tears to see her in what I feel is butting in on Elvis' show. I guess I don't like anyone taking the spotlight away from him when that was all his hard work and it was so special to him finding out he still could please his fans after being away from the stage for so long. I can't explain it better than that......To me she has no business there and never earned the right to be.

Diane

Well said, Diane, you managed to put, what I couldn't express, into words.
Thank you.

Take care,
Kimmi

presley31
11-17-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't mind it, but it didn't blow my mind either

ehollier
11-17-2008, 09:55 PM

Diane

Very well said Diane. And yes, I understand what you are trying to say. I feel that its disrespectful to his music and legacy, but that's just my little opinion....after all, what do I know????? Go back and read just a few of my posts.....I don't really know anything.....:'(:'(:'(

but if you read my last post on this thread, my daughter says "What's Priscilla doing in this video?".......:blink::blink::blink:

presley31
11-17-2008, 09:59 PM
I have to tell you as a kid I had no respect for singers like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Tony Bennett. I did not listen to them nor think they had talent-they were not of my generation. But about 20 years ago in my 30s I began to realize they were good at what they did-they had talent-they had a charisma about them. I began to buy some of their records and listen closely. I did not listen with 15-25 year old ears filtered through my idea that the only good music was my generations-I listened with unbiased ears. Elvis each year gets a fresh listen to people who reach that state of life.
I truely believe-that to be true. So things like this are okay I guess-but his own talent and charisma are the foundation of his legacy. imo

agreed KPM.

utmom2008
11-17-2008, 10:00 PM

Diane

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Diane

I know how you feel, it's somewhat of a "protective" feeling. That is one of the greatest moments in TV history, along with Elvis' career...and I have trouble with a "then" 2 year old butting in on his moment.:blink::blush::blink::blush:

Diane
11-17-2008, 10:02 PM
It was different when it was Elvis and Celine on American Idol as they were both on mutual ground but I would much have preferred Lisa to have been there with her dad. If I were to choose someone else, I would have chosen Tina Turner. I've always wanted to see them sing together.

I don't have anything against Celine, I do like some of her songs but her voice was too high and her personality was way off to team up with Elvis. She is another that I feel all her songs sounds alike. Actually the only song of hers that I remember when I hear it is the theme song to Beauty and The Beast by Walt Disney :D and I think she did a fantastic job with that.

Diane

presley31
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
I just like the technology of the things they can do today.

KPM
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't know why I can't stand it but it gets me really close to tears to see her in what I feel is butting in on Elvis' show. I guess I don't like anyone taking the spotlight away from him when that was all his hard work and it was so special to him finding out he still could please his fans after being away from the stage for so long. I can't explain it better than that......To me she has no business there and never earned the right to be.Diane
Yes I know what you are saying-he changed music and culture-sold a whole new genre of music to the world-charisma like no other entertainer.
Yet when they do these things it gives the appearance of two equal artists.

italianfan
11-17-2008, 10:09 PM
I think this video is put together well. I totally understand everyones concerns about other singers butting in on Elvis' music and this performance on the 68 special. But there is a chance this video will be see on chart shows and on the internet when its released. These chart shows are watched by many people including young, and to me when they see Elvis in good shape sounding and looking great it cant do anything but help Elvis' image.

Its sort of similar to what they did in This is Elvis, the performance of suspicious minds from TTWII was cut to make it shorter then mixed with the ending of CHFIL . As a new fan then i didnt mind, after all it was Elvis. Now i can clearly see how theyve editted it, but it doesnt matter cuz i can get the full performance by watching TTWII. Just because martina is there doesnt distract from Elvis, anyone interested will on go youtube and view the original video, and totally forget about the 2008 editing.

i think its important to also consider what Elvis would have thought about people covering his music. i know that he liked Suzie Quatros All shook up, so im sure hed think it a bit of a compliment, wheather hed be happy about it bein mixed with is own version is another matter.

hope i havnt gone on all much :S

utmom2008
11-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes I know what you are saying-he changed music and culture-sold a whole new genre of music to the world-charisma like no other entertainer.
Yet when they do these things it gives the appearance of two equal artists.

Yes, that's it....and he has NO equal.:blink::blush:

ehollier
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
It was different when it was Elvis and Celine on American Idol as they were both on mutual ground but I would much have preferred Lisa to have been there with her dad. If I were to choose someone else, I would have chosen Tina Turner. I've always wanted to see them sing together.

I don't have anything against Celine, I do like some of her songs but her voice was too high and her personality was way off to team up with Elvis. She is another that I feel all her songs sounds alike. Actually the only song of hers that I remember when I hear it is the theme song to Beauty and The Beast by Walt Disney :D and I think she did a fantastic job with that.

Diane

Was the duet with Celine Dion put on CD and sold like these Christmas duets? I don't know the answer, but it seemed like the duet with Celine was a less 'commercial' moment than this latest attempt to bring Elvis' music to the masses.

presley31
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I think the Celine Dion was just a test drive with the technology and it worked so l guesing we are going to see more stuff like the canadian duets in the future and to be honest it wouldn't sell if people didn't buy it.

Diane
11-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Well I think I'm going to sound rude but to me Elvis stands alone and if he's not enough on his own to draw in the younger crowd then they aren't appreciating him for what he was so who needs them? I'd rather see him die out naturally than be used so commercially all the time. He was a human being not a product.

Now I feel better....I think.....

Diane

midnight
11-18-2008, 02:12 AM
I saw that Christmas duet video today and my heart just sank. I just hate what they are doing to Elvis` music and I hated seeing someone else share that stage with him. I find it very insulting. Maybe it is because I have watched that 68 show so many times that seeing someone else on that stage with him was like an "home invasion". It just seemed wrong!(n) I guess being such a huge Elvis fan all these years I almost feel like I have to protect him and seeing that video today made me really sad. Elvis do not need anyone to stand in his court, he has done a fine job himself and will continue to do so for a long time. I think people are sadly forgetting who they are dealing with ...... I mean come on Elvis Presley!!(y)

franny
11-18-2008, 02:35 AM
I have to say Martina McBride has a lovely voice...BUT!! lol When I watch this clip...it's like, what is she doing there?? :doh: No offense to her...I think as Diane said, I also would have preferred Lisa was in it..it might have given a different feeling, but there was no need to put Martina in the 68' Special!

Elvis can sing Blue Christmas like no other, on his own! :notworthy :king:

Thanks, for sharing Jen. (y)

franny

utmom2008
11-18-2008, 03:29 AM
I saw that Christmas duet video today and my heart just sank. I just hate what they are doing to Elvis` music and I hated seeing someone else share that stage with him. I find it very insulting. I think people are sadly forgetting who they are dealing with ...... I mean come on Elvis Presley!!(y)

I have to say Martina McBride has a lovely voice...BUT!!
Elvis can sing Blue Christmas like no other, on his own! :notworthy :king:

You 2 ladies hit the nail on the head...nothing more needs to be said. Perfect description!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Diane
11-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm in total agreement as well.:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Diane

Teddy
11-18-2008, 02:27 PM
And as you can see from the beginning of the thread, my agreement is unwavering (y)
I'm glad that so many of us are united on this one.

presley31
11-18-2008, 03:10 PM
I'am shock to see so many fans on the other forums enjoy this and think its the best thing that came along..guess we all have different opinions.

Teddy
11-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I'am shock to see so many fans on the other forums enjoy this and think its the best thing that came along..guess we all have different opinions.

I guess their desire to see some kind of 'new' Elvis 'product' has overwhelmed their respect for the man and his work.

Don't they realize that the beauty of an enduring legacy like Elvis's is that we can draw upon his enormous body of recorded material and enjoy it at any time we please, just as he intended it? There's simply no need to bastardize it in order to appreciate it again!

Unfortunately, this is just another cynical way for record companies to sell fans the same thing twice. Except in this case, it's the same thing worse. (n)

presley31
11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
I guess their desire to see some kind of 'new' Elvis 'product' has overwhelmed their respect for the man and his work.

Don't they realize that the beauty of an enduring legacy like Elvis's is that we can draw upon his enormous body of recorded material and enjoy it at any time we please, just as he intended it? There's simply no need to bastardize it in order to appreciate it again!

Unfortunately, this is just another cynical way for record companies to sell fans the same thing twice. Except in this case, it's the same thing worse. (n)

good points Teddy, but just cause people don't hate or dislike doesn't mean they don't know the true beauty of elvis music..maybe they are like me and like how things like this can be made. Don't like the fact it was in the 68 comeback, but you got sillerman rolling around with dollers signs in his eyes so this is excepted coming from him.

Teddy
11-18-2008, 04:16 PM
but you got sillerman rolling around with dollers signs in his eyes so this is excepted coming from him.

Yes, I'm sure he wants some return for his investment :rolleyes:

MojoElvis
11-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I Loved It....i Hope They Do All The Other Artist' Who Agreed To Be On That Cd The Same Way.
I Got Chills When While Watching This...they Are Bringing Elvis Back, Not Only The Charts But On The For-front For Videos.

It Think It Was Awesome!!!!!

SHE LOVES ELVIS - CHECK OUT THIS LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVeFidJL7K0

presley31
11-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, I'm sure he wants some return for his investment :rolleyes:

lets remember Teddy that Sillerman doesn't care whatsoever what the fans want and like, but how much he can get on something and how much money will be rolling in from his latest investments. Sometimes l so wish that when Lisa sold over, she give it to someone who has respect for elvis and not just use elvis like he is a product and not a really someone that was really speacial.:angry:

Teddy
11-18-2008, 04:23 PM
It's deplorable. It's like breaking wind in church and loudly suggesting that the congregation inhales deeply. :mad:

Shake A Hand
11-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Sorry for my ignorance but I'd never heard of this lady before and watched the video out of curiousity more than anything else. :blush:

Whilst I think the technology used in this video is very clever, but in all honesty, I was just filled with dread after viewing the vid! Dread of 'what the hell are they gonna be mixing Elvis with next? the Tweenies or even worse ... impersonators? :angry:
I fear the Dam wall of the iconic excellence of Elvis is being chipped away and a wall of mediocre averageness is gonna flood through, which will attempt further to dilute, detract and distort the historical image of the most talented, gifted entertainer that ever was !!:'(

Teddy
11-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I hear ya! :notworthy(y)

MojoElvis
11-18-2008, 06:10 PM
the Tweenies or even worse ... impersonators? :angry:
I fear the Dam wall of the iconic excellence of Elvis is being chipped away and a wall of mediocre averageness is gonna flood through, which will attempt further to dilute, detract and distort the historical image of the most talented, gifted entertainer that ever was !!:'(

Have you asked a teenager or even someone in their 20s about Elvis lately? They don't know anything about him except for his image and that he gained weight and died. This is a way to put him back on the main stream media with out BS stories of him still being alive or negative exposure of his drug addiction.
Lighten up people, Elvis would have loved the fact that he didn't have to lift a finger to release a new video and be grouped together with modern singing stars.
Elvis constantly sang other peoples songs, that's how his career started and till the very end, over half of his play list for his shows were other peoples songs. I'm afraid that while you're complaining about how they should have never put her on the same stage, many new fans are going to just say, "hey get over it, it's cool & I love McBride and now I love Elvis too".

What Elvis said to an impersonator in 1977,
"Congratulations on winning the talent competition you were in and good luck on the show this Friday: I really do appreciate you as a fan...and mimicry is a sincere form of being a fan"

Sonny
11-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I personally think Elvis does not need this kinda stuff to remain a major name in musical history.

However, I do get the idea of them releasing f.i. the remixes (same idea, creating a modern sound) and the remix cd such as Duets.

Elvis' famous 68 Comeback footage already was used in the Celine Dion duet and the world loved it.

This footage will not get as many views as the Dion duet I bet.

However, it's a way for EPE to make a lot of money and that is what obviously counts, which it always did.

Shake A Hand
11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Mojoelvis: Elvis also wrote in his letter ... 'Do develop your own special talents and abilities though, David.
This is a great compliment to me that you would work so hard on this act like mine but never neglect your own special abilities to be yourself also'

But thats a different topic of discussion and has been covered previously ;)

Yes I agree, Elvis did cover other peoples songs and did excellent interpretations of them too, like many many others but I'm sorry I don't get your point.

Its debatable whether this video actually encourages the next generation to decide to check out Elvis ... if it does ... then thats great, the more the merrier!

I'v actually shown this vid to a couple of teenagers and to be honest they weren't that impressed they'r only comment was 'whos the woman? and wouldn't it be cool to get a vid made with Elvis'

His image has been battered unfairly through the years, and IMO its down to bad marketing, bad impersonators, sensationlizing the negative points in his life etc ... but after the remixes such as ALLC and Rubberneckin along with more and more celebrities of today stating how 'cool' Elvis is/was, I feel the tide finally started to turn.

I hope this is a one off promotional novelty kind of project and doesn't turn into 'any tom, dick and harry video mix era' which I'm sorry imo will dillute, distort and detract from the man and his great legacy.

But thats just my opinion :D

waymore44
11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I guess I'm the only one on here who thinks this is pretty cool. I'm a country music fan and I think she's about as good as it gets as far as female country singers. The album is done. They need to sell the album. The video is a tool to sell the album. Elvis is in no way shape or form overshadowed or diminished by this video that I can tell. In fact it shows that he would be a viable artist in today's market if he were 32 yrs old right now.

I don't understand why everybody gets so upset about this stuff. At least it was respectful to him. It didn't change anything HE did. They didn't pair him with a disaster artist and make the music not fit what he was about. Musically it's really the same. They just added a bass as far as I can tell and have her singing a verse. BIG DEAL.

At least he's on CMT and GAC in HEAVY rotation starting today and that can't do anything but bring new Elvis fans.

KPM
11-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Have you asked a teenager or even someone in their 20s about Elvis lately? They don't know anything about him except for his image and that he gained weight and died. This is a way to put him back on the main stream media with out BS stories of him still being alive or negative exposure of his drug addiction.
Lighten up people, Elvis would have loved the fact that he didn't have to lift a finger to release a new video and be grouped together with modern singing stars.
Elvis constantly sang other peoples songs, that's how his career started and till the very end, over half of his play list for his shows were other peoples songs. I'm afraid that while you're complaining about how they should have never put her on the same stage, many new fans are going to just say, "hey get over it, it's cool & I love McBride and now I love Elvis too".

What Elvis said to an impersonator in 1977,
"Congratulations on winning the talent competition you were in and good luck on the show this Friday: I really do appreciate you as a fan...and mimicry is a sincere form of being a fan"
Its just hard to judge what Elvis would have liked done with his music-he hated when RCA would add instruments, and play with the mix of the recordings-this is also on record. He knew the sound he wanted many times-so should he have the final say?
There is something to be said for-how much do you want to water down the Elvis sound.
In 10 years do we get another remix of ALLC? etc.. etc.. etc......
There may be no limit to what can be done in the future-but that does not mean it should all be done. IMO

MojoElvis
11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Its just hard to judge what Elvis would have liked done with his music-he hated when RCA would add instruments, and play with the mix of the recordings-this is also on record. He knew the sound he wanted many times-so should he have the final say?
There is something to be said for-how much do you want to water down the Elvis sound.
In 10 years do we get another remix of ALLC? etc.. etc.. etc......
There may be no limit to what can be done in the future-but that does not mean it should all be done. IMO

True but I don't see it as watered down. It's just another way to keep him in the public eye. I don't think Elvis liked when they would mix his voice so loud or up front over the music and back up singers but that was during his movie years. I remember him telling the producer of his 1969 Memphis session, he wanted the music more up front and the bass loud like the Beatles were doing.
but on the, LOVE LETTERS lp, it seems like they were back into their old tricks with bringing his voice up front.

I guess this video will just come and go like the AMERICAN IDOLS, IF I CAN DREAM, video.

KPM
11-18-2008, 08:52 PM
True but I don't see it as watered down. It's just another way to keep him in the public eye. I don't think Elvis liked when they would mix his voice so loud or up front over the music and back up singers but that was during his movie years. I remember him telling the producer of his 1969 Memphis session, he wanted the music more up front and the bass loud like the Beatles were doing.
but on the, LOVE LETTERS lp, it seems like they were back into their old tricks with bringing his voice up front.

I guess this video will just come and go like the AMERICAN IDOLS, IF I CAN DREAM, video.
He hated his voice to be front and center-he wanted a balance in his recordings it seems to me. I think he knew that a good recording is not just one part way above the others- but a good blend of all the parts.

MojoElvis
11-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah you're right. What i'm about to say proves the point even more, did you know that he preferred, the Mono versions of records over Stereo? I agree with him on this, he believed that the Stereo versions sounded too transparent. The man had an excellent ear for music.

ehollier
11-18-2008, 09:08 PM
It's deplorable. It's like breaking wind in church and loudly suggesting that the congregation inhales deeply. :mad:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Teddy
11-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah you're right. What i'm about to say proves the point even more, did you know that he preferred, the Mono versions of records over Stereo? I agree with him on this, he believed that the Stereo versions sounded too transparent. The man had an excellent ear for music.

If he couldn't even stand a different mix of his recordings, what makes you think he would appreciate an extra vocalist?

Teddy
11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Elvis' famous 68 Comeback footage already was used in the Celine Dion duet and the world loved it.

No! The world didn't have a choice and how it felt has yet to be measured in any tangible way.

presley31
11-18-2008, 11:50 PM
No! The world didn't have a choice and how it felt has yet to be measured in any tangible way.

teddy that celine video believe it or not people really enjoyed it on here and else where.

found the thread for it.. take a look and the responses from the members on here.
http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=12365&highlight=celine

Merry
11-18-2008, 11:58 PM

I like hearing one Celine song once a year or so (I know that sounds insulting, but it isn't, that's how I feel, lol)

I just didn't think that Celine should have had a duet with Elvis, either.

I liked, and enjoyed (very much), Lisa singing with her dad. Perhaps that's what it is.
:)

Teddy
11-19-2008, 12:10 AM
teddy that celine video believe it or not people really enjoyed it on here and else where.

found the thread for it.. take a look and the responses from the members on here.
http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread.php?t=12365&highlight=celine

Maybe the idea of a reanimated Elvis was too attractive for some people to resist.
Smoking crack feels great for a few minutes.

Merry
11-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Maybe the idea of a reanimated Elvis was too attractive for some people to resist.
Smoking crack feels great for a few minutes.

ROFL, I wonder about your household, Teddy, lol. (Thinking about your joke of people in Church, now, lol).

MojoElvis
11-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Mojoelvis: Elvis also wrote in his letter ... 'Do develop your own special talents and abilities though, David.
This is a great compliment to me that you would work so hard on this act like mine but never neglect your own special abilities to be yourself also'

But thats a different topic of discussion and has been covered previously ;)

Yes I agree, Elvis did cover other peoples songs and did excellent interpretations of them too, like many many others but I'm sorry I don't get your point.

Its debatable whether this video actually encourages the next generation to decide to check out Elvis ... if it does ... then thats great, the more the merrier!

I'v actually shown this vid to a couple of teenagers and to be honest they weren't that impressed they'r only comment was 'whos the woman? and wouldn't it be cool to get a vid made with Elvis'

His image has been battered unfairly through the years, and IMO its down to bad marketing, bad impersonators, sensationlizing the negative points in his life etc ... but after the remixes such as ALLC and Rubberneckin along with more and more celebrities of today stating how 'cool' Elvis is/was, I feel the tide finally started to turn.

I hope this is a one off promotional novelty kind of project and doesn't turn into 'any tom, dick and harry video mix era' which I'm sorry imo will dillute, distort and detract from the man and his great legacy.

But thats just my opinion :D

I remember that about Elvis telling the impersonator to search his own talent. I just wanted to state that he didn't hate it but thought it was flattering. There's a photo of him talking to Johnny Harra outside the gates in his home in California.
That's interesting about how the teens acted over there. just wondering if you're in an area that listens to country music. I have to agree with you about every Tom Dick & Harry jumping on this band wagon. That can get old fast.

MojoElvis
11-19-2008, 01:55 AM
If he couldn't even stand a different mix of his recordings, what makes you think he would appreciate an extra vocalist?

I'm talking about the sound of a recording not a Christmas song where they placed him with another famous singer. The point is this, Elvis is no longer with us and this is a way of wishing he was still around to produce new songs or be a part of a project that placed him with other great singers.

It only brings home the fact that we all miss him and what better time than Christmas to remember him by. So what if EPE is making money, we benefit cause we get to see Elvis involved in modern technology.

Shake A Hand
11-19-2008, 02:30 AM
That's interesting about how the teens acted over there. just wondering if you're in an area that listens to country music. I have to agree with you about every Tom Dick & Harry jumping on this band wagon. That can get old fast.

No MojoElvis, I'm not in an area that listens to country to much, although I'm sure there are those that do. I apologise for my ignorance of american country singers, but its the principle of this sort of video and the fear of these projects becoming common place that I was addressing.

You'd be surprised how many teenagers think Elvis is pretty cool here tho, even goths! ;)

MojoElvis
11-19-2008, 02:43 AM
No MojoElvis, I'm not in an area that listens to country to much, although I'm sure there are those that do. I apologise for my ignorance of american country singers, but its the principle of this sort of video and the fear of these projects becoming common place that I was addressing.

You'd be surprised how many teenagers think Elvis is pretty cool here tho, even goths! ;)

I know and I'm sorry, I should take into account that not every one knows modern country singers. I don't know about your area but the only station here in Houston, TX that plays Elvis music is the classic country station. What does that tell you? That was their market I guess.
I know a lot of teenagers think Elvis is cool but they don't know anything about his songs. I remember being 10 years old and seeing these 3girls walking arm & arm singing, G.I. BLUES...I doubt that young girls are going around singing an Elvis movie song. The most they know is HOUND DOG, if even that. When they tell me they like Elvis, I always ask, oh really, what's your favorite Elvis song? they either get stuck or say, Hound DOG.

you're right about people abusing the technology of manipulating a video clip but should that stop us from producing respectful ones? With every accomplishment that takes place the fear of elevation in a negative way is always a factor but we can't let it stop us from progressing.

JerryNodak
11-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I like the video. It's well done. I've heard clips of the songs on the "Duets" album on the Internet, but I refuse to listen to the whole album until Dec. 1st. That's early enough for Christmas music

Trelane P
11-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I am all in favour of experimenting with the elvis legacy. I am sure that without new initiatives we would not be were we are today. I just wish they had released santa claus is back in town as the single. It is the best song on the album and totally rocks. Plus the video again could have been taken from 68 show. There is a great on from starm you might find it on youtube