PDA

View Full Version : CBS In Concert

Lonniebealestreet
10-11-2004, 06:39 AM
The two shows filmed for Elvis' final TV special, filmed two days apart, are indeed very different. The general consensus seems to be that the June 19 show was among his worst from 1977, and Rapid City was one of the best.

I watched them both last night, as always, with an open mind. Let me first say that if after the first time I ever watched That's The Way It Is, I went from that to the CBS tapes, I would not have responded nearly as well to it as I do now. So I acknowledge that we are almost talking about a different performer.

Having said that, Omaha really impressed me as being a better show than I remember. It hasn't been a terribly long time since I watched it last, so I'm thinking that the opinions of the majority had brought my expectation level down. It wasn't a great show, but it did have some great moments. How Great Thou Art is probably most notable, and the other songs used in the special--Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel, Early Morning Rain, and Can't Help Falling In Love are also at least solid, with the exception of the first which was surely selected for the interaction with the audience. And I Love You So is a strong performance in my opinion; in fact when I first got the EIC CD, it was the track which I was drawn to the most. Fairytale, while obviously more challenging for him than it normally was, still makes for a nice listen (particularly with the benefit of the overdubs on the album). Last night I found myself liking I Really Don't Want To Know from that night better than the Rapid City performance.

The main difference is that vocally he was not running on all cylinders in Omaha. It isn't that he was off-key or his timing was off, or anything of the sort. It's that when he was singing with a normal amount of effort, the power just didn't seem to be there to deliver the proper loudness or fullness of voice. But it's just a couple steps below normal. Then when he was fully engaged, calling on his voice for the big notes, he delivered with gusto. And in those cases you would not detect that the "easier" singing from the same show would have been subpar in the least. HGTA and Hurt are the best examples of this.

One thing which you can't help but notice in these shows is the difficulty Elvis has with speaking at times. He himself said, rather lightheartedly, "I can sing, but I can't talk." It's a tragic thing to witness, for sure. It seemed to me that he struggled with this less in Omaha than he did in Rapid City. Just an observation...and I could be wrong about that. Maybe in my mind he was a lot worse off than in Omaha, so I was expecting to see him have more trouble with that then.

It isn't simply that Omaha wasn't as bad as I had been thinking; I really thought it was an entertaining show. I do believe Rapid City was considerably better. I'm just saying that I think Omaha, like all of 1977 for Elvis, gets a bad rap.

I recognize that a likely cause for having an elevated opinion of this show--both shows, for that matter--is the fact that we take in both the audio and the video. Listening to As I Leave You, for example (a bootleg of the Omaha show), you don't get as good an impression of the show than if you watch it too. That's why I think that when we hear a so-so soundboard tape or audience recording of a show, we sometimes mistakenly get the impression that the show was mediocre. Well, if that show had been presented in great sound, and there was high-quality video to go with it (or if you were there and had the Elvis concert experience with that amazing atmosphere), then you would not notice the flaws as much, having more to take in (the whole package) and less opportunity to focus on just one aspect of it.

Enjoying the Elvis In Concert material, in my case, simply boils down to the fact that this was not a different performer than the one seen on TTWII, or the one who "goosed up" rhythm and blues back in the fifties and shook up the world. Elvis is Elvis, and I can see not liking this aspect of his career as much as that one, but the way in which some people turn their backs on the man and performer he ultimately became never ceases to baffle me. Not being able to see past the physical changes and such, and focus in on and enjoy the real "Elvisness" of certain moments and performances is something that those that applies to ought to try and overcome. I'm not saying everyone should enjoy Elvis' final year(s) as much as I do or that you are less of a fan if you don't, but if you are open to this period, you may find that there is so much there for you to enjoy.

Jumpsuit Junkie
08-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Why do I still find things on this site I never have before, a few click and I ended up here and there are some fantastic reviews, especially this one.

I have commented on these two shows many times and probably will again and again. I am happy to watch the shows but boy it makes me sad to see the King look in poor health, I've lost count of the times I have had a tear in my eye watching it.

One of the first albums that I ever got was the double album Elvis In Concert, I loved the album so much, it got played and played until I worn the needle out. When I did eventually see the show I was more than a little shocked!! My mind had created an Image of Elvis circa 1972 for some reason and the reality was somewhat different.

The music for me has always been great whether it was 1970 or 1977 and I still play my Elvis In Concert album to hear some of the best singing you will hear........ HGTA is a soul reaching out to God. It is hard to find a version to match, even in previous years where Elvis is considered to be in better voice!

For me Elvis in concert is a real eye opener for any fan, there is much to be taken from it good and bad, depending on the person you will find what you are looking for.

Matt

EnigmaticSun
08-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Some folks are just not capable of looking through the physical appearance. Well, if the looks are so over-important, go watch Britney Spears if you're interested in 'no musical importance, looks only'.

I find that both Omaha and Rapid City are good shows. Of course it wouldn't be fair to judge the entire show on the performances of Hound Dog and Teddycruel alone! We all know that Elvis was entertaining enough with these songs, but his heart and soul he really poured into gospel and ballads like How Great Thou Art and Hurt - and not many seem to have noticed that. Of course, Hound Dog was better in 1970 in the way that Elvis had more energy - but in my opinion, Elvis couldn't have done Hurt or How Great Thou Art as well in 1970 as he did it in 1977...

In fact, his voice was very warm and mature on both the Omaha and the Rapid City show. It's true that people get a distorted impression because they hear a so-so soundboard or a bootleg. He definitely didn't sing off-key or anything like that. His voice was as ripe as it was strong, both soft and powerful. I do not care too much for his lacking of articalute speech or his health problems - isn't the music the most important?

I also like the Elvis In Concert album very much, and I've listened it to pieces, so to speak. Dissapointing is the fact that Unchained Melody is missing, though, and I do not always like the overdubs that much. They could have left the fan comments in the TV special too, that would have been enough!

Lonniebealestreet
08-15-2005, 04:22 AM
there is much to be taken from it good and bad, depending on the person you will find what you are looking for.
So true!

in my opinion, Elvis couldn't have done Hurt or How Great Thou Art as well in 1970 as he did it in 1977...
Ditto!

Thanks for your comments, Matt and Fabian. As I recall, I didn't write that as a review of the special; my post from the EP forum was copied to this section as a review. I just wanted to point that out because some of the things you might normally find in a DVD review weren't mentioned here.

Unchained Melody
03-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I like the Omaha and Rapid City shows also. I appreciate all that he has given us, and enjoy him up on that stage singing his heart out.

Matt
03-21-2006, 04:15 AM
You know, I have these videos and have watched them many of times, trying to figure out exactly what is so bad that EPE doesn't want them released. Yes, of course he didn't look his best on June 19 in Omaha and it didn't help matters when he forgot the words to "Are You Lonesome Tonight" that just really fed peoples suspicions even more, though we all know how Elvis sometimes had fun with this song. You can obviously tell by watching the footage Elvis was nervous, just by listening to him talk. You know he had to know that he didn't look his best and to be put on national television in the shape he was in had to weigh heavy on his mind. But other than what I have already mentioned I think he did one hell of a show on this night. Then again, I think the whole tour was great.

elvis fan 1976
04-16-2006, 07:09 AM
here is a pic of Elvis In Concert.

Menwithbrokenhearts
04-17-2006, 05:26 AM
You know, I have these videos and have watched them many of times, trying to figure out exactly what is so bad that EPE doesn't want them released. Yes, of course he didn't look his best on June 19 in Omaha and it didn't help matters when he forgot the words to "Are You Lonesome Tonight" that just really fed peoples suspicions even more, though we all know how Elvis sometimes had fun with this song. You can obviously tell by watching the footage Elvis was nervous, just by listening to him talk. You know he had to know that he didn't look his best and to be put on national television in the shape he was in had to weigh heavy on his mind. But other than what I have already mentioned I think he did one hell of a show on this night. Then again, I think the whole tour was great.
You know, I have mixed feelings about this concert. One one hand, his voice was strong and he did some versions of some songs that, in my opinion, are superior than the others.
On the other hand, knowing what I do know, the man should not have been on tour in that state. He had to be in quite a bit of discomfort and pain, and yet there he was, trying his hardest to please the fans and do a good job. It is painful for me to watch. It also, sort of, forgive me here, perpetuates the " fat Elvis " image that impersonators like so much and draws so much ridicule from non fans and an uninformed public.
So I can see why EPE, Elvis' friends and family, and alot of fans, wouldn't want to release it to the general public "en masse" . If I was Lisa, I would want to keep a positive image for fans and posterity and not release it, if it were my father. I also think it might have hurt Elvis to see it afterwards, as concerned as he was about his image and what the fans felt. I know he participated, but it's one thing to do that and quite another to see yourself on tv looking that way.
Anyway, just my opinion.

Jumpsuit Junkie
04-19-2006, 08:13 PM
You know, I have mixed feelings about this concert. One one hand, his voice was strong and he did some versions of some songs that, in my opinion, are superior than the others.
On the other hand, knowing what I do know, the man should not have been on tour in that state. He had to be in quite a bit of discomfort and pain, and yet there he was, trying his hardest to please the fans and do a good job. It is painful for me to watch. It also, sort of, forgive me here, perpetuates the " fat Elvis " image that impersonators like so much and draws so much ridicule from non fans and an uninformed public.
So I can see why EPE, Elvis' friends and family, and alot of fans, wouldn't want to release it to the general public "en masse" . If I was Lisa, I would want to keep a positive image for fans and posterity and not release it, if it were my father. I also think it might have hurt Elvis to see it afterwards, as concerned as he was about his image and what the fans felt. I know he participated, but it's one thing to do that and quite another to see yourself on tv looking that way.
Anyway, just my opinion.

Very eloquently put! that said, Can you imagine a deluxe version of the CBS!!!! TTWII looks like it was filmed yesterday. The CBS with the right editor could look very sharp, the sound done in dolby all digitally remastered the whole works (y)

As it stands the CBS is a dark secret that can be shown to someone from a grainy third generation dvd copied from some old dodgy vhs tapes kept in a damp room that someones uncle taped from the t.v. 20 odd years ago.

Now even I would challenge a non fan to enjoy it in that format :hmm:

Given the right direction with commentary that was appropriate but not over the top would give this show some proper street cred instead of having some dodgy footage hidden in the closet.

Matt

Menwithbrokenhearts
04-20-2006, 06:16 AM
Very eloquently put! that said, Can you imagine a deluxe version of the CBS!!!! TTWII looks like it was filmed yesterday. The CBS with the right editor could look very sharp, the sound done in dolby all digitally remastered the whole works (y)

As it stands the CBS is a dark secret that can be shown to someone from a grainy third generation dvd copied from some old dodgy vhs tapes kept in a damp room that someones uncle taped from the t.v. 20 odd years ago.

Now even I would challenge a non fan to enjoy it in that format :hmm:

Given the right direction with commentary that was appropriate but not over the top would give this show some proper street cred instead of having some dodgy footage hidden in the closet.

Matt
Thanks. For me personally, I would love to have the footage in a deluxe state, updated and converted to clear it up, and get that sound right! His voice was so good on most songs, that if i was in a mood not to watch, if the sound were right, I would listen to be sure. He really did sound good on alot of songs.
I still feel though, for the casual or non fan, it might not be the best first image of Elvis , or necessarily be good for "perserving the image". Yet, I do see your point.

Menwithbrokenhearts
04-20-2006, 07:03 AM
Here is the official response/stand from EPE on the future release of the CBS special . Thought you guys might like to see it.

Elvis in Concert (1977)

This special and its related footage are owned by EPE.

The 1977 television special Elvis in Concert, which was shot during Elvis' last concert tour in June of 1977 (not actually the last concert itself as Vernon Presley indicated in a statement at the end of the special) aired a couple of times on network television and parts of it, and additional footage shot during the production of it, have been used in various television and video documentary projects over the years. However, much to the disappointment of a number of fans, we have no plans for releasing a home video of the Elvis in Concert material at this time.

Because of the severity of Elvis' health problems at the time the special was shot, Elvis was far from his best in the way he looked and the way he performed, though there are some truly brilliant moments in the footage. The true fans look at this through the eyes of love, respect and understanding, and see the great historical value - as do all the members of our staff. But, this not so with much of the general public and the media. It's not that we don't want the fans to have this footage or that we don't know how much it would mean to them. We do. There just simply is no way to get it only to the real fans (and we've exhausted all kinds of ideas) without also having Elvis served up to the general public and press for ridicule. They already emphasize and exaggerate the tragedy and sadness of the last years of his life too much. Right now, the emphasis for us is to remind them of all that came before.

We receive many calls, letters and E-mails from fans pushing for us to release this footage on home video. There is not a single argument in favor of our releasing it that has come from fans that hasn't come up amongst our management team. We talk about it at length periodically. Up to now, some members of the management team who decide these things have not become comfortable with releasing it. Perhaps that could change someday. For now, our position remains as explained herein. "Not now" does not necessarily mean "not ever". We'll see. In the meantime, we truly understand, respect and appreciate and share on so many levels the feelings of those fans who want the 1977 material released.

In the meantime, we continue to use clips from the 1977 special as appropriate for historical context and completeness in documentary projects

amzietamzie
04-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for that Menwithbrokenhearts...

I do understand their point but I still find it hard to believe that people would be so shallow that they would ridicule a man at the end of his life giving a performance of a lifetime. Yes, he may look ill and unhappy, and it upsets me to see it, but he was still there- he gave the people want they wanted and we should love him for that and appreciate the performance which, at times, is mindblowing.

I find it very unfair and almost cruel to cut off a few years of a man's life out of embarrassment. We should embrace them and love them because they are still part of Elvis and his legacy.

Everyone talks about preserving the image but this is part of his life and therefore part of Elvis. He gave so much and surely we should thank him for everything, including the last few years.

I find it very sad to think that people could mock him at this point in his life because surely they should feel saddened and moved by it.

Elvis never degraded himself and we should treat him with nothing but respect for giving that performnance which is STUNNING (allbeit with a few dodgy moments) despite his health and clear unhappiness.

It knocks the socks off most entertainers' attempts and why should it be hidden away because it may not be up to ELVIS' standards, although that could be argued.

Just my opinion... but I feel rather strongly about this.

Albert
04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
I understand the point of view from EPE.

But why not edit the show in favour to make Elvis look better? Cut much of the dialogue, use different angles and songs.

Also, start the DVD with a small special/documentary that explains the difficulties Elvis had during this stage of life. How the problems with prescribed drugs (medicines!) and how his personal problems made Elvis the way he was in 1977.

Denying this period makes the Elvis mockers like they are right. Instead of letting people laughing at Elvis for this period, they (EPE) have the task to change the laughter into a tear and much respect for Elvis.

But hey, does this mean that there are people working with EPE thatfinally know that Elvis didn't die after the Aloha? :hmm:

Jumpsuit Junkie
04-20-2006, 05:37 PM
But hey, does this mean that there are people working with EPE thatfinally know that Elvis didn't die after the Aloha? :hmm:

That comment has been on the EPE web site for a couple of years now Albert (n) it seems that althought they may do something with the CBS in the future I fear it will be long into the future, they can't even get there act together with "Elvis On Tour" and there is tons of footage to use in this case.

CBS will be left in the vaults to rot, they are not interested in this part of his life. The CBS could be made into a documentary about Elvis' life around this time and be cleverly edited, I'm pretty sure there is plenty of camera shots from all around the stage which could be made to enhance the overall quality.

Sonny
05-25-2006, 10:32 AM
See See Rider (click on the link below)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FqsNcYiU7z8&search=elvis

sH
05-28-2006, 08:09 PM
It's not CBS In Concert It's Elvis In Concert :closedeye

FlamingStar
05-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Hehe..

well i agree that it looks like the same concert, but i don't think Elvis would change his jumpsuit just because he was going to be filmed by CBS.
I'm sure Elvis loved that golden jumpsuit, and maybe he looked best in that costum.. (y)

memories1
05-28-2006, 11:13 PM
:king:

I was only 5 but, I was at the Rapid City one in June of '77. My Mother worked there and was one of the few people who got to meet the King for a brief moment. She had on a popular style of jumper suit, I guess you would call it, with a low cut front. Elvis came out of the dressing room he was in and shook hands while on the way to the stage. As he shook my Mothers hand and proceeded to move down the line of people, he leaned back and said with a grin,"nice outfit honey." My Mother almost died right there! I don't think she has washed that hand since! She said, though you could tell he was pale and overweight, He was still a beautiful man with an energy that moved through you when he touched you.

Menwithbrokenhearts
05-29-2006, 07:01 AM
:king:

I was only 5 but, I was at the Rapid City one in June of '77. My Mother worked there and was one of the few people who got to meet the King for a brief moment. She had on a popular style of jumper suit, I guess you would call it, with a low cut front. Elvis came out of the dressing room he was in and shook hands while on the way to the stage. As he shook my Mothers hand and proceeded to move down the line of people, he leaned back and said with a grin,"nice outfit honey." My Mother almost died right there! I don't think she has washed that hand since! She said, though you could tell he was pale and overweight, He was still a beautiful man with an energy that moved through you when he touched you.
Nice story, thanks !!(y) He was kind and generous to fans always. A good man.

Unchained Melody
05-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks for link Sonny..i really liked how Elvis attacked CC Rider..fantastic version in my opinion. yeah you could tell how nervous Elvis was by the way he was speaking, kind of stuttering a bit but thats Elvis, and the Rapid City concert was a very good show in my opinion.

elvisbootlegs
05-30-2006, 10:20 AM
STAR has put out a Special Edition of Elvis In Concert, Elvis On Tour, and Thats The Way it is, with all three being the very best quality of the content ever in any format. You can still get all of them on ebay.

b98
06-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Is there anybody who have the dvd The final days?

memphis 77
09-09-2006, 04:16 PM
its no doubt that E.P. was on uppers for the whole rapid city show, the suit he wore was not flattering at all , i think he should have worn the KING O SPADES , but i remember charlie saying he didn't because the cleaners couldn,t press it in a day they needed at least 72 hours for the whole process , because the embroidery fades with hot washing and tears. I still think it was edited by the producers to show that it was more electric of a show, than it really was, He needed a break most definetly, he did so much better 8 months before especially in dallas and pitts, there was hope to all fans that he was over the lull and lackluster performances, HOW GREAT .... is of course the best performance of the whole tour, Thank god they didn't film kansas city.