PDA

View Full Version : Question for anybody out there.

elvispresleytheking
10-15-2008, 02:52 AM
I know Elvis went to Ginger Alden's Grandpa's funeral on January 3, 1977, and I heard that pictures do exist. Has anybosy seen these pictures, and, if so, do you know where I can find them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

epmoodyblue
10-15-2008, 02:59 AM
yes a picture exists of elvis and ginger at funeral in jan 77....i dont have the picture..i have seen it.. but im sure some members here will post it ..4 u ..hopefully:):king:

presley31
10-15-2008, 02:59 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/Backstrom2003/jan0377b.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/Backstrom2003/77elgin.jpg

more information from this site: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/funeral77.html

ehollier
10-15-2008, 03:00 AM
This is the link to one of the pictures in the gallery. I've seen a few more, but its only one or two other shots.

http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/files/3/7/9/7/WithGinger.JPG

Lonniebealestreet
10-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Hard to detect any puffiness at all in him in these photos. The years are showing but he appears to be in good health...very sad.

Granted he's bundled up and of course being in street clothes and not a jumpsuit always helps, but his jawline looks strong and everything.

ehollier
10-15-2008, 08:18 AM
I read in the book "Down at the End of Lonely Street" that when Elvis attended this funeral, he was, in Dr. Nick's words, "virtually drug free" --

By the beginning of '77, he was only months from his death and had OD'd 4 or 5 times, and had round the clock nurses regulating his drug intake, and he suddenly is 'drug free' ......

But by and large, for all that he's endured over the previous years, he does look good, his eyes look very clear and sound in these pictures.

Teddy
10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Considering he was about to have his 42nd birthday he actually looks very well. The age difference between him and Ginger doesn't seem so conspicuous in these pictures.

In the first one, however, perhaps someone should have told him that it was inappropriate to chuckle while Ginger's grandpa was being lowered into the earth. :blush:

Teddy
10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/Backstrom2003/jan0377b.jpg

See what I mean?

Getlo
10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
[B]I read in the book "Down at the End of Lonely Street" that when Elvis attended this funeral, he was, in Dr. Nick's words, "virtually drug free" --

Pfffttt!

Yeah, right ...

DIAMOND1871
10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
I have seen those photos before he does look quite well I know the person who has actually got the coat that Ginger is wearing in that picture.

Getlo
10-15-2008, 03:27 PM
The photos were taken by Ginger's cousin.

Attached is something of interest.

Personally, I find the whole thing in very poor taste ... taking pictures at a funeral!

LianaKaralivanou
10-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Personally, I find the whole thing in very poor taste ... taking pictures at a funeral!

I agree with you. Of course it's not impossible for someone to take pictures at a funeral but the fact that they are posing, well, it doesn't look right to me...

MojoElvis
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Very Strange....when Linda's Grandfather Died, All Elvis Said Was, "why Did He Pick Now To Die?"
To Me The Only Two Women Worth Anything In His Were, Linda And Ann Margret

ksimms2
10-15-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm from the South (USA) and it's common for folks to take pictures at funerals -even of the deceased as a last memento of that person. I know it sounds morbid - when my cousins took pictures of my grandmother in her coffin - I wanted to throttle them - then as time went by - I asked for copies - it was the last time I saw her and I miss her.
Just my opinion. PLUS - that is when all the relatives get together - some probably haven't seen each other in ages - hence - photo's - photo's - photo's.

TotallyInsane
10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm from the South (USA) and it's common for folks to take pictures at funerals -even of the deceased as a last memento of that person. I know it sounds morbid - when my cousins took pictures of my grandmother in her coffin - I wanted to throttle them - then as time went by - I asked for copies - it was the last time I saw her and I miss her.
Just my opinion. PLUS - that is when all the relatives get together - some probably haven't seen each other in ages - hence - photo's - photo's - photo's.

I always take pictures of my family at funerals. Not the actual person who has passed but the people I love and haven't seen in a long time!! It's a southern thing, I guess!!!

presley31
10-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Every funeral l been at nobody ever took pictures, must be a southern thing.

epmoodyblue
10-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Hard to detect any puffiness at all in him in these photos. The years are showing but he appears to be in good health...very sad.

Granted he's bundled up and of course being in street clothes and not a jumpsuit always helps, but his jawline looks strong and everything.agree with ur comments elvis in early january of 77 does look good..as we can see by those piccys..dont forget thats early jan 77 ..he kinda looked just like the tour he just finished in dec of 76 really slimmed down...but then again end of jan 77 passes mid feb 77 tour arrives and elvis balloons up again..as we all know elvis was never able to maintain a steady weight since oct 74 to june 77..anyways those are super nice piccy's..cant say much for the plastic lady standing next to elvis ..mastercard lady whatever you wanna call her:lmfao: all she cared for was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they were always fighting never got along with elvis...had elvis lived she would of been toast by aug 77.elvis already had chosen another woman to acompany him for the tour that never was..anyways a big(n) for ginger:king:

Teddy
10-15-2008, 05:48 PM
This is an interesting topic.
I haven't been to a funeral where photographs were taken either but I don't think it would offend me if people did.
One of the better things that can be said about funerals is that they provide an opportunity for family members who don't make time to see each other very often to get together.
Why not take pictures? It might be the last time you see 'em.

ehollier
10-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I haven't been to a funeral where photographs were taken either but I don't think it would offend me if people did.
One of the better things that can be said about funerals is that they provide an opportunity for family members who don't make time to see each other very often to get together.

Must be a southern thing....not the pictures, per se, but the opportunity to get together and share and reminisce of good times, laughs and drinking......(unless you are Baptist....I don't think drinking is allowed):blush::blush::blush:

presley31
10-15-2008, 07:21 PM

I don't find it offense either taking pictures, heck me and my brother were having a laugh remembering stories from the family. I even went to a funeral here in ontario where they poured a case of beer on the grave so some funerals are different.

utmom2008
10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Must be a southern thing....not the pictures, per se, but the opportunity to get together and share and reminisce of good times, laughs and drinking......(unless you are Baptist....I don't think drinking is allowed):blush::blush::blush:

The Baptist's do it as well....after the other Baptist's go home.:supriced::lol:(y)

ehollier
10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
The Baptist's do it as well....after the other Baptist's go home.:supriced::lol:(y)

OK, I didn't know that. We Catholics don't have to hide it.....lol :P

utmom2008
10-15-2008, 07:27 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the guy in the background that's BLOWING A BUBBLE!!!!! I have laughed about that for years!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

elvispresleytheking
10-16-2008, 01:57 AM
Thanks for all who posted pictures. Looks like I got some discussion going about whether or not it is okay to take pictures at a funeral. lol

KPM
10-16-2008, 02:24 AM

I agree, it is in poor taste.
This was not a ride on the street, or Vegas or on Tour-this was this mans funeral-the last public affair in his long life. Just out of respect for their grandfather the cousins should have just left the cameras at home. I'm sure had they asked Elvis he would have let them take some pictures at some other location away from the funeral.

Elton
10-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Baptist are like cats...you know they have fun,
you just can't catch them at it! ..Redd Foxx

Getlo
10-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Very Strange....when Linda's Grandfather Died, All Elvis Said Was, "why Did He Pick Now To Die?"

Source please?

cant say much for the plastic lady standing next to elvis ..mastercard lady whatever you wanna call her:lmfao: all she cared for was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:

Hmm, which probably explains why we've heard so much from her since 1977; not to mention all the interviews she's given and the book she wrote. ;)

utmom2008
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
OK, I didn't know that. We Catholics don't have to hide it.....lol :P

Neither do we Methodists! I married a Baptist...and quickly converted him!:lol::P:lol:

utmom2008
10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Hmm, which probably explains why we've heard so much from her since 1977; not to mention all the interviews she's given and the book she wrote. ;)

Exactly!(y)(y)(y)(y)

ehollier
10-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Neither do we Methodists! I married a Baptist...and quickly converted him!:lol::P:lol:

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

You've got to read this book Being Dead Is No Excuse : The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Being-Dead-Is-No-Excuse/Gayden-Metcalfe/e/9781401359348/?itm=1). It would explain this thread perfectly and completely to all who cannot understand some of the strange southern traditions. In my opinion, the Episcopalians are the ones that really have it made. This book is hysterical. Brian's cousin knows the author and that is how I came to read it. She also wrote Somebody is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch that Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding which is just as funny!!!!!

presley31
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
different religion and cultures all play a big part in funerals services and everywhere in the world is going to be different.

kathy parkinson
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Exactly!(y)(y)(y)(y)

DITTO(y)(y)(y)

ehollier
10-16-2008, 08:31 PM
different religion and cultures all play a big part in funerals services and everywhere in the world is going to be different.

Agreed, and I'm not trying to make any other tradition or culture seem less important or trivialize them, but here in the south (US), many things seem strange to those who aren't familiar or from this area, almost to the point of comedy.

presley31
10-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Agreed, and I'm not trying to make any other tradition or culture seem less important or trivialize them, but here in the south (US), many things seem strange to those who aren't familiar or from this area, almost to the point of comedy.

yes the south does somethings different, but so does other counties. Canada may be close to the states but we don't follow in everything they do, we got out way just like you do where you live and likewise for everyone else on the forum.

Donut
10-17-2008, 10:05 PM
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

You've got to read this book Being Dead Is No Excuse : The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Being-Dead-Is-No-Excuse/Gayden-Metcalfe/e/9781401359348/?itm=1). It would explain this thread perfectly and completely to all who cannot understand some of the strange southern traditions. In my opinion, the Episcopalians are the ones that really have it made. This book is hysterical. Brian's cousin knows the author and that is how I came to read it. She also wrote Somebody is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch that Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding which is just as funny!!!!!

Just added the first one to my favorites list ;)

Did you know that another book from them is coming next year?
"Some Day You'll Thank Me for This: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Being a Perfect Mother"

ehollier
10-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Just added the first one to my favorites list ;)

Did you know that another book from them is coming next year?
"Some Day You'll Thank Me for This: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Being a Perfect Mother"

(y) (y) (y) (y)

utmom2008
10-17-2008, 10:53 PM

Yes, and you have to be Southern to get it.:lol::lol:(y)(y)(y)

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Always thought Elvis looked pretty great in these photo's.

Never heard that he was completely drug free during this time, but he does look really healthy.

Thanks for posting.

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/1346/jan77carok8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/8128/jan77carbrk6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

In November 1976 Elvis gave Ginger Alden a white Lincoln Continental, the last he would purchase. On January 3, 1977 Elvis and Ginger along with a 15 man entourage attended the funeral of Ginger's Grandfather. Elvis had Ginger's family flown in to Harrison, Arkansas where they drove 20 miles to Jasper, Arkansas for the services which took place in a very small church. Elvis used Ginger's white Lincoln Continental during this 24 hour visit. The local Newspaper reported "The Star is Seen Barely and Briefly". A photo of Elvis entering the car is featured in the article (last photo above).

shelley.m.
10-18-2008, 10:03 PM

I'm from Canada and I have family members that do that as well.I mean take photos of departed family members in their caskets.I myself hate that!!! Maybe it's also a "Ukrainian" thing too?

Unchained Melody
10-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm from Canada and I have family members that do that as well.I mean take photos of departed family members in their caskets.I myself hate that!!! Maybe it's also a "Ukrainian" thing too?

I find it a little morbid..

presley31
10-18-2008, 10:17 PM

agree with you there(y)

Cliff
10-18-2008, 11:07 PM

Well,there is room for a little black humour,but I ain't going there out of respect for people's feelings.
I just want to say that over here in New Zealand the Maori people have an open coffin for about a week.That's why they get a week off work to mourn.
Wish I had some Maori relatives.
I told a guy at work once that management had said you have to give a weeks notice if you had to attend a funeral.:D

ehollier
10-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Well,there is room for a little black humour,but I ain't going there out of respect for people's feelings.
I just want to say that over here in New Zealand the Maori people have an open coffin for about a week.That's why they get a week off work to mourn.
Wish I had some Maori relatives.
I told a guy at work once that management had said you have to give a weeks notice if you had to attend a funeral.:D

This sounds like New Orleans..... but we have something called the Second Line Parade to go with the city’s famous jazz funerals and, apart from a casket, mourners and a cemetery visit, mourners march down the streets. They include a brass band, jubilant dancing in the street and members decked out in a wardrobe of brightly colored suits, sashes, hats and bonnets, parasols and banners, melding the pomp of a courtly function and the spontaneous energy of a block party, albeit one that moves a block at a time.

The practice of having music during funeral processions is the basic African pattern of celebration for most aspects of life, including death. On the way to the cemetery it is customary to play very slowly and mournfully a dirge, or an 'old Negro spiritual' such as 'Nearer My God to Thee,' but on the return from the cemetery, the band strikes up a rousing, 'When the Saints Go Marching In,' or a ragtime song such as 'Didn't He Ramble.' Music here is as much a part of death as it is of life.

kathy parkinson
10-18-2008, 11:54 PM
If you look at all the countries where we all come from, it's amazing.
We all have different religions and faiths, we all deal with death differently, i have the utmost respect to everyone and how you personally come to terms with the loss of a loved one.

Diane
10-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I think every country and every family even is different as to how they handle funerals. We had the open coffin for a couple of days but we didn't take pictures. Later I did take photos of some relatives tombstones because I wanted something to make me remember the dates they were born and died.

Diane

shelley.m.
10-19-2008, 01:40 AM
agree with you there(y)

Yes!presley31 and Brad.I do agree with you 100% It is morbid!!!