10-12-2008, 04:35 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2nur7mc.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/rvawwx.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2v8nv3l.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/34xn7s9.jpg

So it was a hit !!

Elvislives72
10-12-2008, 05:00 AM
It was a hit because it was the last footage of Elvis shot. Had this concert been shown prior to his death then I doubt it would have been such a hit as Elvis was slowly becoming irrelevant at the time. Comparing his appearance in Aloha just 4 years earlier with Elvis In Concert is like comparing apples to oranges.

Unchained Melody
10-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Thats all likely true, but still either way you look at it, CBS Special was a hit...too bad its mainly because we lost elvis...:'(

SeeSeeRider777
10-12-2008, 05:07 AM
What were the ratings exactly?

1100ccRider
10-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Of course Elvis' ratings are always going to top Sherrill's.

Sheesh....

:P

rickb
10-12-2008, 08:54 AM
i like both apples and oranges

ehollier
10-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I agree that the reason that this was such a ratings phenomenon was because is was aired in the wake of his death, which was still very much in the news. His death came as such a shock to so many at such an early age with so many rumors surrounding his death that many tuned in b/c they were curious to see if Elvis looked like he was just months from his death, to see if the rumors that had been written about the drugs were true. Remember, the bodyguard book had already been published and was a very talked book.

Had this concert been on tv and Elvis not died, I do not think that it would have been the ratings phenomenon that it turned out to be.

U.S. Male
10-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I still believe this special should be released (officially) on DVD, including the outtakes.

Elvislives72
10-12-2008, 05:27 PM
I still believe this special should be released (officially) on DVD, including the outtakes.

Don't count on it. With Sillerman now in control of the name and likeness, I doubt this will ever see the light of day as an official EPE release. Too much for him to lose.

epmoodyblue
10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
had elvis lived ..the cbs special would of topped the ratings 4 sure despite of elvis obviosly not being well..elvis will always be #1..and oficially release the darn concert its part of history and it must be released....elvis was not a monster ....releasing it wont change anything its old news tons of peeps have already seen it..the winners are the bootleggers who are chashing in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to stop this it must be oficially released on dvd(y):king:

Unchained Melody
10-12-2008, 06:27 PM
i like both apples and oranges

Err, neither for me.

Unchained Melody
10-12-2008, 06:28 PM
I agree that the reason that this was such a ratings phenomenon was because is was aired in the wake of his death, which was still very much in the news. His death came as such a shock to so many at such an early age with so many rumors surrounding his death that many tuned in b/c they were curious to see if Elvis looked like he was just months from his death, to see if the rumors that had been written about the drugs were true. Remember, the bodyguard book had already been published and was a very talked book.

Had this concert been on tv and Elvis not died, I do not think that it would have been the ratings phenomenon that it turned out to be.

Agreed Liz, him dying definitley would make the ratings for it go up, just to see what he looked like before his death.

Unchained Melody
10-12-2008, 06:30 PM

I believe the same thing Steve.

It's not like we have so much pro shot footage of Elvis as it is, and EPE knows this, and I still believe they have the bulk of the film in their hands, hopefully one day when they have released about all the footage there is, we will get it.

Unchained Melody
10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
had elvis lived ..the cbs special would of topped the ratings 4 sure despite of elvis obviosly not being well..elvis will always be #1..and oficially release the darn concert its part of history and it must be released....elvis was not a monster ....releasing it wont change anything its old news tons of peeps have already seen it..the winners are the bootleggers who are chashing in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to stop this it must be oficially released on dvd(y):king:

Agreed. most of the general public don't even know what Elvis the CBS Special from 1977 is anymore...and they've released queit abit of footage from it on the great performances video, and elvis by the presley's already so stop trying to act like it never happened and accept the fact Elvis was overweight and sick and release it already.

Elvislives72
10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
I think we're likely to see a deluxe addition of Elvis On Tour before we see an official Elvis In Concert release.

Unchained Melody
10-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I think we're likely to see a deluxe addition of Elvis On Tour before we see an official Elvis In Concert release.

As long as TTWII, EOT, and CBS get deluxe treatment on DVD before my life is over I'd be happy.

epmoodyblue
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Agreed. most of the general public don't even know what Elvis the CBS Special from 1977 is anymore...and they've released queit abit of footage from it on the great performances video, and elvis by the presley's already so stop trying to act like it never happened and accept the fact Elvis was overweight and sick and release it already.
right on buddy...well said.. lets stop pretending it never happened..i accept elvis the way he was and even in the condition he was in june he still could perfoirm way better than any other artist of those days in 77 and including artists of today..elvis was second none..the best.there will never be another like him(y)(y)(y)(y)(y):notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:k ing::notworthy

Unchained Melody
10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Exactly pal !

One thing about elvis he was always singing to please his fans put them before his own health..just Watch How Great Thou Art from Omaha...(y)

KPM
10-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I can tell you that we fans who were alive back then were not having the usual parties or get togethers to see this last special. (at least in my area) It was so sad, the idea that, this was it-he was gone. Then to see him in such physically bad shape compared to just 7 years before it was heartbreaking.
Not to mention the people at work or friends who knew you were a fan and all of them had to comment to you at how "bad he looked" or how "heavy he had become" even how "messed up" he seemed. It was a horrid time IMO

buttonhead
10-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Maybe we all should make a petition , like they did with Elvis stamps ,if its on high demand who knows.. they might give up and eventually have it all on DVD , with nice and super clear pictures and sounds ....:hmm:Just an idea. :)

I know EPE probably don't want to officially release this footage due to Elvis phisical condition at that time...i think that MANY of us have move on beyond that.

Tony Trout
10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
It was a hit because it was the last footage of Elvis shot. Had this concert been shown prior to his death then I doubt it would have been such a hit as Elvis was slowly becoming irrelevant at the time. Comparing his appearance in Aloha just 4 years earlier with Elvis In Concert is like comparing apples to oranges.

I agree with you both. To be honest, at least in my eyes, Elvis didn't look that bad. Yes, he was sick but a lot of it had to do with the way the camera filmed him. At least, that's my opinon. :)

I dunno if I'd agree with that. I think that if they were to release 'select' songs from the two shows (instead of it mainly being from Rapid City, SD as it was in the final edit), I think it would probably sell more. The outtakes (especially from Omaha, NE) are painful and heartbreaking to watch - especially the introductions and Elvis talking before "I Got A Woman"/"Amen".

I don't think that we're even going to see a 'deluxe' edition of "Elvis On Tour" at this point.

Unchained Melody
10-14-2008, 05:24 AM
I agree with you both. To be honest, at least in my eyes, Elvis didn't look that bad. Yes, he was sick but a lot of it had to do with the way the camera filmed him. At least, that's my opinon. :)

I dunno if I'd agree with that. I think that if they were to release 'select' songs from the two shows (instead of it mainly being from Rapid City, SD as it was in the final edit), I think it would probably sell more. The outtakes (especially from Omaha, NE) are painful and heartbreaking to watch - especially the introductions and Elvis talking before "I Got A Woman"/"Amen".

I don't think that we're even going to see a 'deluxe' edition of "Elvis On Tour" at this point.

I would rather them wait and let the EOT and TTWII Deluxe sets get released before the EIC footage. all the merrier though.

Albert
10-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I really hope that EPE will grow up eventually and accept what Elvis fans did already decades ago: Elvis didn't die after the Aloha, and yes, he was really overweighed and ill during the final stage of his life.

the CBS footage (and horrible '76/'77 pics) are already available to the public, so why are they trying to hide this era?

I strongly believe that EPE should remake this special: remaster the sound to excellent 5.1 and hire a producer who can produce a new version of the special using all existing footage: better angles and better mixes.

Of course it can't be compared to the TTWII re-release, because MGM had much more material on hand for this. But still, removing some fan footage (some of people who seem to laugh at Elvis), removing some of Elvis mumbling between songs and making the show longer (about 75 minutes) PLUS adding a short documentary to the disc about ELvis last 2 years, would not only be a win for the fans, but also a plus for Elvis' image and heritage.

Adding a short documentary is essential. Give the journalist that will review the special (something EPE fears enormously) and the non-Elvisfans the right information:
* Elvis wasn't only playing Vegas throughout the 70s, but also toured the nation succesfully
*show them he wasn't washed out after the Aloha, but that he still recorded (and sold!) temporary music
* let them see that he wasn't "a fat guy walking in a too tight white jumpsuit", but that he was in great physical condition most of the seventies.
* Give them insight of the personal struggles and insecurities that led him to overmedication

If people know that then they learn to appreciate the CBS Special, instead of it being target of mockery and disrespect. Yes, Elvis wasn't on top of the world anymore in 1977 and he was nowhere near the point that he was in 1970 (TTWII) and 1972 (On Tour), and yes, he was running on an automatic pilot, but when Elvis sparkled in 1977 during shows (like with How Great Thou ARt), the true meaning of being an entertainer becomes visible. And Elvis was the biggest of them all.

epmoodyblue
10-14-2008, 06:01 PM
:king:

If people know that then they learn to appreciate the CBS Special, instead of it being target of mockery and disrespect. Yes, Elvis wasn't on top of the world anymore in 1977 and he was nowhere near the point that he was in 1970 (TTWII) and 1972 (On Tour), and yes, he was running on an automatic pilot, but when Elvis sparkled in 1977 during shows (like with How Great Thou ARt), the true meaning of being an entertainer becomes visible. And Elvis was the biggest of them all. uh -huh well said perfecto comments..(y)indeed Elvis was the biggest of them all:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notwor thy:notworthy:notworthy:king: they should remake and release the cbs special oficially..for elvis was not a monster we will always love elvis(y)

Unchained Melody
10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I really hope that EPE will grow up eventually and accept what Elvis fans did already decades ago: Elvis didn't die after the Aloha, and yes, he was really overweighed and ill during the final stage of his life.

the CBS footage (and horrible '76/'77 pics) are already available to the public, so why are they trying to hide this era?

I strongly believe that EPE should remake this special: remaster the sound to excellent 5.1 and hire a producer who can produce a new version of the special using all existing footage: better angles and better mixes.

Of course it can't be compared to the TTWII re-release, because MGM had much more material on hand for this. But still, removing some fan footage (some of people who seem to laugh at Elvis), removing some of Elvis mumbling between songs and making the show longer (about 75 minutes) PLUS adding a short documentary to the disc about ELvis last 2 years, would not only be a win for the fans, but also a plus for Elvis' image and heritage.

Adding a short documentary is essential. Give the journalist that will review the special (something EPE fears enormously) and the non-Elvisfans the right information:
* Elvis wasn't only playing Vegas throughout the 70s, but also toured the nation succesfully
*show them he wasn't washed out after the Aloha, but that he still recorded (and sold!) temporary music
* let them see that he wasn't "a fat guy walking in a too tight white jumpsuit", but that he was in great physical condition most of the seventies.
* Give them insight of the personal struggles and insecurities that led him to overmedication

If people know that then they learn to appreciate the CBS Special, instead of it being target of mockery and disrespect. Yes, Elvis wasn't on top of the world anymore in 1977 and he was nowhere near the point that he was in 1970 (TTWII) and 1972 (On Tour), and yes, he was running on an automatic pilot, but when Elvis sparkled in 1977 during shows (like with How Great Thou ARt), the true meaning of being an entertainer becomes visible. And Elvis was the biggest of them all.

Albert that is one of the best post of the year!!(y)

ksimms2
10-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Me too Steve! I have it on DVD - but someone burned me a copy....would love to see outtakes, etc. There were times when he was joking around and laughing alot - I love to see/hear him laugh. You could certainly tell that he was ill though (and NO I'm not talking about whatever pills he may have took - I mean physically ill)

KPM
10-14-2008, 11:47 PM
To invest the time and money to remix and re-edit "EIC" someone is going to have to see profit potential.
Lets face it -if the powers at Turner do not see a profit potential with a deluxe edition of "EOT" (and the hours of great outtakes) where Elvis is in much much better shape physically and mentally-then "EIC" is not going to get any release as it was broadcast let alone a total restoration.
Whether or not that is a good thing or bad thing for "EIC" I have not made up my mind on.
I stumbled upon a video of the last time Dean Martin took the stage on You Tube.
It was not pretty. IMO
He forgot lyrics, sang the same verse over and over, had a runny nose and he looked old and tired.
I wish I had not seen it, it saddened me.

Jungleroom76
10-15-2008, 12:19 AM

BRAVO ALBERT!!! :notworthy

There is nothing more that can be said on this topic....you said it all my friend!!! :notworthy

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
10-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Albert that is one of the best post of the year!!(y)

100% AGREED!!! :notworthy

TCB!
Mike

rickb
10-15-2008, 02:04 AM
I agree - great post Albert
I have long advocated a proper release for EIC in documentary form.
There are enough high quality performances to justify a DVD from a musical/entertainment perspective and it would be a valuable insight for fans, critics and the media to prepare a decent documentary about Elvis' final years and the toll taken by his relentless touring.
Of course the total two concerts should not be released due to the `down' parts, and I admit there are many of those moments, particularly in the Omaha concert.
However, the Rapid City show is mostly solid and mixed with a few songs from Omaha and carefully edited would make an excellent release.
Interviews with producers, the band, Joe Esposito, Ginger etc could be woven into the footage.
I would not be ashamed to show a properly compiled EIC to non-fans or critics.

Unchained Melody
10-19-2008, 06:35 AM
I think it should be released just because its the last piece of footage we have of Elvis and deserves to see the light of day.

The man should not be hidden away as some monster just because he forgets a line from a song and is overweight.

The fact, is Elvis accepted his appearence and so did the crowd, and maybe EPE should do the same!!!!!;)