PDA

View Full Version : songs rehearsed not performed live

memphis69
09-21-2008, 03:00 AM
hi

a topic i have been thinking about.

how many songs did elvis rehearse but not perform live?

2 i can think of from 1970 TTWII:

Mary in the morning and How the web was woven. Both two beautiful ballads as studio recordings.

How do you think these songs would have sounded performed live against the studio recordings.

Also i am correct in thinking that Any Day Now was also rehearsed but not performed live?

I am new to this forum and i hope there are other elvis fans who will find this topic interesting to discuss.

Melissa (Elvis fan from Australia)

Getlo
09-21-2008, 04:11 AM
how many songs did elvis rehearse but not perform live?

Dozens, if not hundreds.

2 i can think of from 1970 TTWII:

Mary in the morning and How the web was woven. Both two beautiful ballads as studio recordings.

How do you think these songs would have sounded performed live against the studio recordings.

I should think they would have sounded great.

Also i am correct in thinking that Any Day Now was also rehearsed but not performed live?

Correct. The rehearsal of Any Day Now - from January 20, 1970 - is available on bootleg. He also rehearsed this for 1969 in Vegas.

There are hours of rehearsals available, primarily from 1970. There are many songs there that he tried. And many, many more that have been reported as rehearsed at one stage or another.

Some others:

Matchbox
I Need You So
Such a Night
Slow Down
18 Yellow Roses
Judy
Hello Josephine
Wabbash Cannonball
From A Jack To A King
Everybody's Talking
Little Green Apples
Holly Holy
Crazy Arms
Stagger Lee
I Got My Mojo Working
It's Your Baby, You Rock It
Ghost Riders In The Sky
Cotton Fields
Heart of Rome

Most of these are available on bootleg. And this list is not complete, I only chose some highlights.

utmom2008
09-21-2008, 04:14 AM
I would love to hear "Holly Holy"....:blush::blush:

Getlo
09-21-2008, 04:19 AM
I would love to hear "Holly Holy"....:blush::blush:

It was rehearsed some time between January 19-26, 1970. Only three tracks from the session - Portrait Of My Love, True Love Travels On A Gravel Road and Any Day Now - have surfaced. But Holly Holy was probably also captured on tape.

Another lost track from the session was Delta Lady, which James Burton and the TCB Band did later for James' album. Sounds very cool; would have been great to hear Elvis do it. It is 99.99999% likely the tapes are still out there somewhere.

Brian
09-21-2008, 05:00 AM
Dozens, if not hundreds.

Some others:

Matchbox
I Need You So
Such a Night
Slow Down
18 Yellow Roses
Judy
Hello Josephine
Wabbash Cannonball
From A Jack To A King
Everybody's Talking
Little Green Apples
Holly Holy
Crazy Arms
Stagger Lee
I Got My Mojo Working
Ghost Riders In The Sky
Cotton Fields
Heart of Rome

Most of these are available on bootleg. And this list is not complete, I only chose some highlights.

Hi Getlo

glad to see you back I've missed you.

I would've loved to have heard a studio version of Everybody's talking

do you know of any other songs Elvis rehearsed but didn't perform live?

Vegas King
09-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Froggy went a courtin'
Alla en gancho grande.

rams
09-21-2008, 03:36 PM
:hmm:Lady Madonna ? (we have studio but no live )

rams

Vegas King
09-21-2008, 09:45 PM
:hmm:Lady Madonna ? (we have studio but no live )

rams
That's Right rams!!

Unchained Melody
09-22-2008, 01:56 AM
(n)Most of the best songs from studio didn't get to see the light of day performed live.

Getlo
09-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Some examples. Several of these are available on bootleg.

1972:
Any Day Now
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
I've Got To Go

1973:
Separate Ways
She's Not You
The Twelfth Of Never
Are You Sincere
A Mess Of Blues
Find Out What's Happening
For Old Times Sake
If You Don't Come Back
Just A Little Bit

1974:
Born To Lose
I'm Leaving It Up To You
Mama Liked The Roses
Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming
I Walk The Line
Hello Josephine

1975:
Tomorrow Night
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck

toffe
09-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Lady Madonna Rehearsal May 17, 1971.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n45g8yPl1jg

poormansgold
09-23-2008, 12:21 AM
WE don't know How much songs he Rehearsal He rehearsal At Graceland To And In LA Home In 1969..
tom

KPM
09-23-2008, 11:13 PM
I would also like to hear Holly Holy-its a shame Elvis never tried Diamonds
"Brother Loves Travelin' Salvation Show" I think that would have been a great one for him.

medleyofcostumes
09-24-2008, 01:28 PM
I would like to express my humble opinion that going through a song once during a rehearsal may be at the spear of the moment without the intention of playing it live. If EP & band went through a song many times, than I would consider it rehearsed for the concert - e.g. Words or You don't have to say you love me - both from the TTWII movie. Apart from that, from what I've read, after the Aloha, there were never rehearsals with Elvis prior to tours and very few forVegas/Tahoe engagements - exceptions include the August 1974 Vegas stint.

Getlo
09-24-2008, 01:48 PM
I would like to express my humble opinion that going through a song once during a rehearsal may be at the spear of the moment without the intention of playing it live.

Playing a song even once during a rehearsal is a ... rehearsal.

KPM
09-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Playing a song even once during a rehearsal is a ... rehearsal.
I get what you are saying Getlo, but having been in a couple bands and having a brother who is a professional musician I will tell you that when a band rehearses- the songs you are planning to perform are the ones you work on seriously. You go over and over them until you have the arrangement you want and you are confident it sounds okay. You may "jam" in between on many things you like-but its not rehearsing IMO its jamming to relieve the boredom of rehearsing the same songs over and over. I can tell you from experience that it is essential to keep sanity when you are working 8-10 hours at a time on your regular set list and 3 or 4 new additions to your set.

illona
09-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I would also like to hear Holly Holy-its a shame Elvis never tried Diamonds
"Brother Loves Travelin' Salvation Show" I think that would have been a great one for him.

He sang "sweet Caroline" ! :king:

medleyofcostumes
09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Agreed KMP.
I think Elvis was spontaneous at times. He would do songs in the spear of the moment, even live, catching the band by surprise (e.g I just can't help believin' in Las Vegas 1976). He would do the same during rehearsals (I presume)-doing a song just for fun E.g. though in March 1972 the band went through, various gospel songs do you think that Elvis was seriously 'rehearsing' I John or Bosom of Abraham for the April tour? He liked the songs, occasionally sang them for personal enjoyment, but I don't think he considered them for concert inclusion.

thehillbillycat
10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Dozens, if not hundreds.

I should think they would have sounded great.

Correct. The rehearsal of Any Day Now - from January 20, 1970 - is available on bootleg. He also rehearsed this for 1969 in Vegas.

There are hours of rehearsals available, primarily from 1970. There are many songs there that he tried. And many, many more that have been reported as rehearsed at one stage or another.

Some others:

Matchbox
I Need You So
Such a Night
Slow Down
18 Yellow Roses
Judy
Hello Josephine
Wabbash Cannonball
From A Jack To A King
Everybody's Talking
Little Green Apples
Holly Holy
Crazy Arms
Stagger Lee
I Got My Mojo Working
Ghost Riders In The Sky
Cotton Fields
Heart of Rome

Such A Night was never performed in 1970 but it was sung in 1976...twice on stage.....:king:

A few others are Washed My Hands In Muddy Water, Don't, Baby's Let Play House, Money Honey.....these was rehearse but never performed live on stage.

Maikcool
10-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello Josephine!? Really? I like this song!
Getlo, thanks’ for the info! But tell me please where I can find it? What`s the name of bootleg? Is that only one line of this song? Thank you!

ehollier
10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Agreed KMP.
I think Elvis was spontaneous at times. He would do songs in the spear of the moment, even live, catching the band by surprise (e.g I just can't help believin' in Las Vegas 1976). He would do the same during rehearsals (I presume)-doing a song just for fun E.g. though in March 1972 the band went through, various gospel songs do you think that Elvis was seriously 'rehearsing' I John or Bosom of Abraham for the April tour? He liked the songs, occasionally sang them for personal enjoyment, but I don't think he considered them for concert inclusion.

No, it was explained in the documentary that Elvis enjoyed singing gospel songs after his shows to relax and I believe that they were just giving the camera an example of this. Nothing more.