PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Duets CD

SatninLove
09-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Have ya'll heard of the new Elvis Duets christmas cd:newyear:?What are ya'lls thoughts?:hmm:
-SatninLove

JerryNodak
09-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Yes, I've heard about it. I plan to buy it. I'm anxious to hear it. I'm expecting it to be a big hit in the U.S. Probably not overseas. On the other hand if a rumored remix albun surfaces in '09 I expect that to be a huge hit overseas, but nothing more than a blip on the radar here.

Tommy
09-17-2008, 02:52 AM
I don't care for it, I like Elvis only. Why they want to mess it up with other voices is beyond me.

Another way to make money.

Kinga Piotrowska
09-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Tommy,

I agree with You: It`s so false to make records this way! It is NOT Elvis because he had never sung these songs with all these people. I don`t like such undertakings at all.

sincerely yours Kinga

Trelane P
09-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Going to buy it. I love listening to new interpretations of his work via remixes.

The fans of artists featured on this album will also buy it and hopefully some will get into Elvis through this.

buttonhead
09-17-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't care for it, I like Elvis only. Why they want to mess it up with other voices is beyond me.

Tommy you got my vote :D I agree with you....

KPM
09-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I agree and disagree. I always liked hearing Elvis singing with other singers and I think he enjoyed doing it. He was not given much chance while alive to do this, except in the movies when it was called for. I would have much rather heard Elvis dueting and interacting with different singers when he was alive-but it did not happen. So the next best thing is to do it this way, which at least gives you an idea of how Elvis and others would have dueted if he was allowed.
Tom Jones has dueted with many many artist of the last 40 years (when you include all the work from his TV shows) and there were magic moments in those situations. Since we will never hear a live Elvis doing this, I support this type thing. But that being said, you are correct "it is about the money from the powers that be who make these decisions"
They hope people who usually do not listen to Elvis may buy this-and they hope people such as I buy it. Money.

Jungleroom76
09-17-2008, 11:03 PM
I agree and disagree.

I'm with you Ken! While I am interested to hear what these songs will sound like as duets, I think the "magic", as you put it, would truly have been more meaningful if the duets had actually been recorded during Elvis' lifetime.

I just don't think the duets that Elvis performed with Ann-Margret would have the same sizzle if they had been technologically created, like these Christmas duets have been...and I think that will come through in the recordings.

But they will still be interesting to hear... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

KPM
09-18-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm with you Ken! While I am interested to hear what these songs will sound like as duets, I think the "magic", as you put it, would truly have been more meaningful if the duets had actually been recorded during Elvis' lifetime.
I just don't think the duets that Elvis performed with Ann-Margret would have the same sizzle if they had been technologically created, like these Christmas duets have been...and I think that will come through in the recordings.

But they will still be interesting to hear... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike
Elvis always fed off his audience-I think the same thing happened with the people he played with and sang with. I imagine if Elvis had sung a duet with Tom Jones for instance, that a fire of interaction would have been lit-and also a fire of competition. The sparks would have flown vocally and we would have been the ones to feel and hear the heat from it.

Jungleroom76
09-19-2008, 12:54 AM
The sparks would have flown vocally and we would have been the ones to feel and hear the heat from it.

EXACTLY!!! (y)

I just don't see how the singers that have recorded their "duets" with Elvis for this project can put forth as much emotion singing to a recorded track as they might have been able to had the duet been able to have been recorded live! :hmm:

But nevertheless, it will be interesting to hear these duets and see what kind of a reaction they get from the general public!

TCB!
Mike

waymore44
09-19-2008, 01:44 AM
I'm going to buy it. I expect several of them to be good, primarily the things recorded in '71. "Merry Christmas Baby" with Gretchen Wilson is probably going to kick major ***. I'm concerned about the 50's songs working. I read how they were going to do it, as far as recording new backing tracks to match the tracks recorded in the 50's. It's simple to do the duet thing with what was recorded in '71 because the vocal is isolated on it's own channel in a multitrack recording. The 50's album is just a two track mono mix. I think we're going to hear it on those tracks and they won't sound like an authentic duet. I have a duet album of Dean Martin and you can hear the noise on his vocal and the clarity of the new artist's vocal. That bothered me. I will say that the Martina McBride/Dean Martin duet of "Baby It's Cold Outside" is really good. As far as the two artists having to be in the studio at the same time to have a great duet, that's really not correct. MOST duets are done with two artists doing their vocals at different times. Sometimes in completely different studios. When they are together, they almost always are in two separate rooms because an engineer is going to want separation so they can mix it properly. Also each artist has THE mic that they sound great with, right compressors, mic pre's...etc. On a side note, i find it interesting that as technology got better in the 70's Elvis used a lower quality microphone to record that amazing voice of his. A Shure 58 although a great live mic is hardly a great mic to record a record on. It's not bad but it does not let you hear the full body of someone's voice. Elvis would sound great on a radio shack mic, but think about how much better he would have sounded. I know he did it so he could feel like he was on stage and move around which studio mics wouldn't have allowed. There's something to be said for that but he definitely sacrificed sound quality. His 50's and '60's records in Nashville from the photos I've seen are him using Nuemann tube mics which are still regarded as GREAT mics today.

Check out this site:

http://elvistour.blogspot.com/2007/06/take-elvis-tour_28.html

shelley.m.
09-19-2008, 02:27 AM
(y)Well said,Tommy(y)

Unchained Melody
09-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Haven't got it yet, but I am keeping an open mind before I go ahead like many people do and dismiss it without listening to it properly.