PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Mafia - Remembering Elvis

presley31
09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4qhfKnLeqI

beckelvis
09-08-2008, 05:03 PM
It Seems To Me Likely That Are Joined To Remember Elvis,long Life The "memphis Mafia".

Diane
09-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I can never listen to them to the end Jen as I get so aggravated. I do believe they did love Elvis in their own way but they are more into themselves than anything else.

Diane

Teddy
09-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I agree, Diane.
Like you say, I'm sure they loved him genuinely but how did a bunch of professional stooges end up so egotistical?! :blink:

Diane
09-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Haven't you ever noticed Teddy that generally the more ignorant the more egotistical? Wonder if the latter is to make up for the former or if it is just a cover-up for insecurity.

Diane

Teddy
09-08-2008, 11:17 PM
That's right. The more you learn, the more you notice how much you don't know. That's why fools tend to be so arrogant. They haven't discovered that they're ignorant yet! :lol:

Diane
09-08-2008, 11:19 PM
:lol:(y)(y)(y)

presley31
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
That's right. The more you learn, the more you notice how much you don't know. That's why fools tend to be so arrogant. They haven't discovered that they're ignorant yet! :lol:

soooo true Teddy.(y)(y)(y)

Stryx
09-09-2008, 01:01 AM
You'd have to ask Elvis. He hired them all, spent a large amount of his time with them and they are the closest anyone can get to knowing what Elvis was like!

If you think Elvis didn't have an ego you would be waaayyy off the mark!

I agree, Diane.
Like you say, I'm sure they loved him genuinely but how did a bunch of professional stooges end up so egotistical?! :blink:

Teddy
09-09-2008, 01:04 AM
You'd have to ask Elvis. He hired them all, spent a large amount of his time with them and they are the closest anyone can get to knowing what Elvis was like!

Fair enough and I wouldn't dare suggest that Elvis had no ego :king:

MojoElvis
09-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Sometimes it sounds like some people here are jealous of Elvis' friends. He spent more time with them then his own wife and kid. There had to have been some kind of close bond there. Marty, Lamar, Billy Smith and even Sonny West come off to me as being dedicated but at times need some money. They devoted 20years to Elvis' career so that might be all they know. Like a War Hero that spent 20 years serving his country all he's going to have left are stories about being in the service.

franny
09-09-2008, 04:15 AM

True, the MM would know what Elvis was like.

What I always wondered was, why did they wait so long to write books or make a movie? :hmm:

franny

Brian
09-09-2008, 04:54 AM

What I always wondered was, why did they wait so long to write books or make a movie? :hmm:

franny

Hi Franny

Marty Lacker wrote a book that came out I think in 1979 ''Portrait of a friend''

then as you there was a huge market for Elvis books in the 80's

Money is a factor when anyone writes a book along with the fact that they all have some stories to tell, Marty Lacker for example seems to like talking, interacting and arguing with fans. No one really seemed interested in making a movie based on the Memphis mafia books before now, it all seemed to be Priscilla's or a movie based on the generally know events of Elvis life.

utmom2008
09-09-2008, 05:40 AM

franny

Maybe they were waiting to judge the reaction of the 1st book...since it came out before Elvis died.

ksimms2
09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Sometimes it sounds like some people here are jealous of Elvis' friends. He spent more time with them then his own wife and kid. There had to have been some kind of close bond there. Marty, Lamar, Billy Smith and even Sonny West come off to me as being dedicated but at times need some money. They devoted 20years to Elvis' career so that might be all they know. Like a War Hero that spent 20 years serving his country all he's going to have left are stories about being in the service.

Very good point! I think this explains it better than anything else I've heard so far! (y)

Teddy
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Sometimes it sounds like some people here are jealous of Elvis' friends. He spent more time with them then his own wife
Right! And yet his wife is the one who is really subjected to jealousy around here!

Teddy
09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Like a War Hero that spent 20 years serving his country all he's going to have left are stories about being in the service.
I'm sorry, but this is borderline offensive to real war heroes who don't swagger around in shades, popping pills in their free Cadillacs and (unlike the MM) actually have no choice but to be separated from their families for months at a time.

Stryx
09-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Right! And yet his wife is the one who is really subjected to jealousy around here!

Elvis divorced Priscilla in 1973. She is his ex-wife.

Stryx
09-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry, but this is borderline offensive to real war heroes who don't swagger around in shades, popping pills in their free Cadillacs and (unlike the MM) actually have no choice but to be separated from their families for months at a time.

Some people may find the lifestyles of the Memphis Mafia abhorrent. But it is a lifestyle that Elvis himself shared and perpetuated.

presley31
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I can never listen to them to the end Jen as I get so aggravated. I do believe they did love Elvis in their own way but they are more into themselves than anything else.

Diane

Not really interested in any of the memphis mafia stuff but l do like to post for those who enjoy the mm.

Teddy
09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Some people may find the lifestyles of the Memphis Mafia abhorrent. But it is a lifestyle that Elvis himself shared and perpetuated.

It's not the Memphis Mafia lifestyle which I find abhorrent- it's the comparison with war heroes serving their country.
Can you imagine Elvis condoning that analogy?

Teddy
09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Elvis divorced Priscilla in 1973. She is his ex-wife.

You're deliberately missing the point. And it's not my words anyway, I was quoting MojoElvis.

The point is, she was his wife when she was being neglected in favor of hanging out with freeloaders.

Miss Clawdy
09-09-2008, 03:39 PM

That could be true, even Priscilla was jealous of his friends from the very beginning. I also think that the books they wrote or the interviews they gave weren't that terrible at all and like everyone else they needed to earn their bread and butter and I don't believe Elvis would grudge them the money they got from selling those books. On the contrary, when I see or hear them talking I think they show their emotions how they love and miss Elvis and the times they spent together to this day. None of them could have foreseen that Elvis' fans would start to dislike them and blame them for almost everything bad that happened before and after Elvis death. After all they were and are Elvis' closest friends as he was their friend.

Stryx
09-09-2008, 05:01 PM
You're deliberately missing the point. And it's not my words anyway, I was quoting MojoElvis.

The point is, she was his wife when she was being neglected in favor of hanging out with freeloaders.

Whatever ones opinion on it is - Elvis chose the MM over Priscilla - you are right in saying that. Thats the way he was.

utmom2008
09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Jeeeeezzzzz!! Do we have to turn EVERY thread into a Priscilla thread? She seems to come up in the discussion everywhere..and then bashing seems to ensue. Poor Teddy!!;);););) :lol::lol:

presley31
09-09-2008, 07:09 PM

teddy to be honest the boys came first before any woman in elvis life, just the way elvis liked it l suppose. I may not be a fan of them but that is a fact.

Sonny
09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Really Rosanne...

You could not resist could you. Keep it up...

nyc
09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
That could be true, even Priscilla was jealous of his friends from the very beginning. I also think that the books they wrote or the interviews they gave weren't that terrible at all and like everyone else they needed to earn their bread and butter and I don't believe Elvis would grudge them the money they got from selling those books. On the contrary, when I see or hear them talking I think they show their emotions how they love and miss Elvis and the times they spent together to this day. None of them could have foreseen that Elvis' fans would start to dislike them and blame them for almost everything bad that happened before and after Elvis death. After all they were and are Elvis' closest friends as he was their friend.

I don't know why dislike of the MM or Priscilla always gets attributed to jealousy. I don't understand how being a fan of Elvis translates into affection or respect for anyone around him. Unless the argument is that Elvis had flawless judgment when it came to his life, and I don't think anyone subscribes to that theory.

I also think Elvis would be absolutely horrified about some of the revelations in the books about him. If he'd wanted people to know every intimate detail of his life, he'd have done the type of interviews John Lennon did.

You can say it was Priscilla's and the MM's life too, and they have a right to tell their stories (and make money), but I'll never believe Elvis would have been happy with the endless stream of revelations about his sex life, personal hygiene, bowel movements, etc.

utmom2008
09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Really Rosanne...

You could not resist could you. Keep it up...

I just came out of several threads where her name was brought up and Teddy was banging his head (and computer) over it. It was a reference to a point he made yesterday on a thread where he blamed some remark as an excuse to others to bash Pris. Why is it OK for others to make jokes about every thread lately turning into a P thread? I would appreciate it if you would PM me and let me know it is that I do that sends you over the top?:blink::blink:

Diane
09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I completely agree NYC...no one would want their personal private lives aired.

Since Elvis could never put a woman before the MM, I often wonder if Ann Margaret was the only one he could have for? It's obvious that he simply just did not love the others enough.

On second thought, he did let Ann go because of conflicting careers and he didn't want a career woman for his wife. Therefore, I feel Elvis never did find the woman he would give up anything for.

Diane

presley31
09-09-2008, 07:33 PM
I completely agree NYC...no one would want their personal private lives aired.

Since Elvis could never put a woman before the MM, I often wonder if Ann Margaret was the only one he could have for? It's obvious that he simply just did not love the others enough.

On second thought, he did let Ann go because of conflicting careers and he didn't want a career woman for his wife. Therefore, I feel Elvis never did find the woman he would give up anything for.

Diane

Maybe elvis wasn't sure if he could handle being without the guys?? it seems to me that the boys always came first from the beginning till the end. IMO it would drive me mad if that was me in that sitation.

franny
09-09-2008, 07:34 PM
teddy to be honest the boys came first before any woman in elvis life, just the way elvis liked it l suppose. I may not be a fan of them but that is a fact.

True, Jen. The MM came first. But, I also think that after Elvis got married, there was too many MM around all the time. I know Elvis liked that, but I'm sure not an easy thing if you were just newly married to him.

franny

franny
09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Maybe elvis wasn't sure if he could handle being without the guys?? it seems to me that the boys always came first from the beginning till the end. IMO it would drive me mad if that was me in that sitation.

I agree, Jen. (y) It would also drive me mad! :lol: Not saying he shouldn't have them around, but they were there a lot, and so many of them.

franny

nyc
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM

I always wonder if Ann Margret could have helped with his drug problem, because she had a problem with alcohol. Although it also might have been a case of two people with addictions making things worse for each other.

presley31
09-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I think the only way for elvis to have stopped taking the pills would be a very strong lady and elvis will to get off them.

Diane
09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I wish we and he had had the chance to find out. It might have been a slim chance but at least it was a chance he never got. I say that because Ann was a strong woman, much stronger I think even than Linda. If she got it into her head she was going to save her man, she would have put everything she had into it.

Diane

TotallyInsane
09-09-2008, 09:05 PM
My, my, this thread got busy this afternoon!!

presley31
09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I wish we and he had had the chance to find out. It might have been a slim chance but at least it was a chance he never got. I say that because Ann was a strong woman, much stronger I think even than Linda. If she got it into her head she was going to save her man, she would have put everything she had into it.

Diane

yep l agree about ann, but elvis was to darn stubbon to let any woman tell him straight. I think if ann did put her foot down than elvis wouldn't of stuck around to long, we have to keep mind he didn't take kindy to people standing up to him and telling him straight.

Diane
09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
True Jen, but I think Ann was the only one who might have been allowed to stay if she spoke her mind. As I said, that was his biggest chance.

Diane

presley31
09-09-2008, 11:27 PM
True Jen, but I think Ann was the only one who might have been allowed to stay if she spoke her mind. As I said, that was his biggest chance.

Diane

I know its the what ifs but l would of loved ann to stand up just like june and johnny(l know thats little different) and maybe helped elvis and gave him the chance for long life and a happy one at that;)

Diane
09-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Yup Jen(y)(y)(y)

Diane

Miss Clawdy
09-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I don't know why dislike of the MM or Priscilla always gets attributed to jealousy. I don't understand how being a fan of Elvis translates into affection or respect for anyone around him. Unless the argument is that Elvis had flawless judgment when it came to his life, and I don't think anyone subscribes to that theory.

I also think Elvis would be absolutely horrified about some of the revelations in the books about him. If he'd wanted people to know every intimate detail of his life, he'd have done the type of interviews John Lennon did.

You can say it was Priscilla's and the MM's life too, and they have a right to tell their stories (and make money), but I'll never believe Elvis would have been happy with the endless stream of revelations about his sex life, personal hygiene, bowel movements, etc.

And I don't know why the MM and Priscilla are disliked by so many. I only said it could be true that some are jealous of Elvis' friends. And I don't understand how being a fan of Elvis translates in aversion or disrespect for anyone around him.
You are right about things like the bowel movements, although I believe that as horrible some stories may sound, the MM did not intend to hurt Elvis or his memory by telling them.

Miss Clawdy
09-10-2008, 12:47 AM
True, Jen. The MM came first. But, I also think that after Elvis got married, there was too many MM around all the time. I know Elvis liked that, but I'm sure not an easy thing if you were just newly married to him.

franny

I must admit that I would have loved this life with all the friends around all the time, an 'open house' where everyone is welcome :D.
But I wonder why things should have been different for Priscilla (or anyone else) after their marriage. Newly married sounds like they got married after a few months and everything was fresh and exciting.....when in reality they already had spent many years together :hmm:.

nyc
09-10-2008, 12:54 AM
And I don't know why the MM and Priscilla are disliked by so many. I only said it could be true that some are jealous of Elvis' friends. And I don't understand how being a fan of Elvis translates in aversion or disrespect for anyone around him.

I never said Elvis fans had to dislike Priscilla or the MM. Plenty of fans like them - although it seems only one or the other, LOL. But the jealousy argument comes up all the time whenever someone says something critical about Priscilla or one of the MM. And IMO it's entirely possible to dislike Priscilla or the MM without being jealous of them.

You are right about things like the bowel movements, although I believe that as horrible some stories may sound, the MM did not intend to hurt Elvis or his memory by telling them.

Maybe. But I think those stories have hurt his reputation.

And no one ever will convince me that Elvis wouldn't be horrified by those types of revelations.

TotallyInsane
09-10-2008, 12:57 AM
I never said Elvis fans had to dislike Priscilla or the MM. Plenty of fans like them - although it seems only one or the other, LOL. But the jealousy argument comes up all the time whenever someone says something critical about Priscilla or one of the MM. And IMO it's entirely possible to dislike Priscilla or the MM without being jealous of them.

And no one ever will convince me that Elvis wouldn't be horrified by those types of revelations.

(y)(y)(y)(y)

ehollier
09-10-2008, 01:15 AM

Its not disliking someone that is the problem. If a member doesn't like someone, then that member should be free to express his feelings, but move on. However, this is not often the case because when a member of the MM or Priscilla is disliked, then the member feels free to speak with contempt, which is entirely different from dislike, and is very disrespectful and extremely unattractive.

Diane
09-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Ditto!(y)(y)(y)

Diane

Miss Clawdy
09-10-2008, 01:20 AM

And I never said that you said Elvis fans had to dislike Priscilla or the MM, lol ;).

nyc
09-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Its not disliking someone that is the problem. If a member doesn't like someone, then that member should be free to express his feelings, but move on. However, this is not often the case because when a member of the MM or Priscilla is disliked, then the member feels free to speak with contempt, which is entirely different from dislike, and is very disrespectful and extremely unattractive.

I commented only on the jealousy argument with respect to disliking Priscilla or the MM - or Linda or anyone else around Elvis, for that matter.

I think the amount of ink spilled on Priscilla or the MM is a different subject. And so is the tone of posting, which can be reported if it's a problem.

presley31
09-10-2008, 01:27 AM

good post Liz(y)(y)

utmom2008
09-10-2008, 01:29 AM

I don't think anyone should like or dislike the MM and Pris simply because they were "connected" to Elvis. That's not the way the real world functions, so why would that be the case where they are concerned?:doh: I feel quite sure that we ALL have close friends that we love, yet maybe can't stand someone else who is also connected to that friend. Different strokes for different folks, but you can dislike someone immensely, yet jealousy has nothing to do with it.:blink::blink:

And I agree with you 100% on that. Who wouldn't be hurt by some of the things they have chosen to share with the world? Who among us can truthfully say "that wouldn't bother me one bit?";)

Miss Clawdy
09-10-2008, 01:47 AM
And I agree with you 100% on that. Who wouldn't be hurt by some of the things they have chosen to share with the world? Who among us can truthfully say "that wouldn't bother me one bit?";)

Ok, on second thought I understand that Elvis would have been hurt by some of the stories. So I agree with you and Nyc on that, but I still believe that they did not want to hurt him, maybe it was nothing special for them anymore as they had to deal with all those things permanently.

TotallyInsane
09-10-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't think anyone should like or dislike the MM and Pris simply because they were "connected" to Elvis. That's not the way the real world functions, so why would that be the case where they are concerned?:doh: I feel quite sure that we ALL have close friends that we love, yet maybe can't stand someone else who is also connected to that friend. Different strokes for different folks, but you can dislike someone immensely, yet jealousy has nothing to do with it.:blink::blink:

We both know this one is true!!!(y)(y)

john carpenter
09-10-2008, 02:06 AM
I've seen this a couple times, and now i believe their emotions are real! I never douted Billy's love for Elvis or Sonny's. But to see them break down was really heartfelt! And Red when he said you could put flowers under there and keep them alive (about the bullet holes) was funny!:lmfao::king::notworthy

Unchained Melody
09-10-2008, 04:00 AM

This is so true.

If these guys are as bad as many say, "leeches, thugs, hillbillies" etc, then that don't say much for Elvis now does it as he wanted them around him 24/7. And when one wanted to leave the group or not tag along with them to Hollywood etc Elvis would get very upset.

The MM bashing is old news....

franny
09-10-2008, 04:43 AM
I must admit that I would have loved this life with all the friends around all the time, an 'open house' where everyone is welcome :D.
But I wonder why things should have been different for Priscilla (or anyone else) after their marriage. Newly married sounds like they got married after a few months and everything was fresh and exciting.....when in reality they already had spent many years together :hmm:.

I'm not saying the MM shouldn't be welcomed and that Elvis should not have the MM over, but what I meant was after getting married, I would think "most" woman would want some time alone with their husband! Don't forget Elvis was on the road a lot, so I'm sure alone time was even more important...

True, they had spent many years together, but it wasn't as husband and wife...but, I do see your point Tina. :)

franny

ehollier
09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I stumbled upon this YT video this morning and was wondering if this gives a good representation of his relationship with the MM. Enjoy.

6uFxQtDCFrM&feature=related

Diane
09-11-2008, 02:59 AM
I think it gives a very good impression of Elvis with his friends....none of them ever grew up. No one would in that environment.

Diane

presley31
09-11-2008, 03:13 AM
I'm not saying the MM shouldn't be welcomed and that Elvis should not have the MM over, but what I meant was after getting married, I would think "most" woman would want some time alone with their husband! Don't forget Elvis was on the road a lot, so I'm sure alone time was even more important...

True, they had spent many years together, but it wasn't as husband and wife...but, I do see your point Tina. :)

franny

I agree franny(y)(y)

utmom2008
09-11-2008, 03:22 AM
I think it gives a very good impression of Elvis with his friends....none of them ever grew up. No one would in that environment.

Diane

Those home movies of Elvis and the MM always make me think of the movie "Animal House". Had Elvis still been alive I bet he would have LOVED that movie!:lol: Those MM guys were living a 24 hour fraternity party...and loving every minute of it.:lol::lol:(y)