PDA

View Full Version : Question about Elvis On Tour dvd?

hot for elvis 69
08-31-2008, 02:26 AM
Has anyone heard any news about the dvd is it going to ever be released on dvd?

Vegas King
08-31-2008, 04:11 PM
It will be released for sure.
It's a matter of time.

Tony Trout
09-02-2008, 05:19 PM
I'd have to strongly disagree that we'll see a DVD release of EOT simply because there isn't enough interest by the general public to warrant such a release. It would be a disaster money-wise.

Boy, it's wonderful to have TCB-World back online! I've missed this place!!

MojoElvis
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I think it might one of 3 reasons.

You think EPE might be embarrassed of it? even though it won Golden Glob award in some parts he looks pale & bloated but not overweight.

Maybe they want to release the complete outtakes like they did with the 68 NBC Special and they want to make it totally awesome cause it has won an award.

Or for some reason the people who own the rights aren't offered their fair share so Graceland can't make that 60-75% profit...lol

MIElvis
09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Mojo....it appears that your reasoning about not enough profit for EPE is the main reason we haven't seen it.

KPM
09-03-2008, 04:31 AM
I think it might one of 3 reasons.

You think EPE might be embarrassed of it? even though it won Golden Glob award in some parts he looks pale & bloated but not overweight.

Maybe they want to release the complete outtakes like they did with the 68 NBC Special and they want to make it totally awesome cause it has won an award.

Or for some reason the people who own the rights aren't offered their fair share so Graceland can't make that 60-75% profit...lol
Even if they might be (which I doubt) they have no say so on whether its released or not.
"Elvis on Tour" needs to be re-edited and digitally remastered- The unused outtakes are a goldmine of great footage-but it would need to be worked on quite a bit and Warner just does not seem willing to do it.
I think fans who have editing ability have done a great job of cleaning up some of the outtakes that have been on the net-perhaps Warners should be trying to recruit some of these people who are doing so.(y)

Tony Trout
09-03-2008, 04:37 AM
I'll say this once again:

EPE has no say whatsoever as to whether "Elvis On Tour" will be released on DVD or not--that is up to the 'big guys' at Turner/MGM.

KPM
09-03-2008, 04:59 AM
I'll say this once again:

EPE has no say whatsoever as to whether "Elvis On Tour" will be released on DVD or not--that is up to the 'big guys' at Turner/MGM.
You are correct, As of the present day, the Turner Entertainment Co. unit of Time Warner owns the rights to the pre-1986 MGM film library with Warner Bros. handling distribution

MojoElvis
09-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Mojo....it appears that your reasoning about not enough profit for EPE is the main reason we haven't seen it.

The Colonel's style of doing business. That is why all the good songs would go to other artist's, cause Colonel didn't want to give the writers a decent share of the profits.
It would go to like 3 or 4 of his friends and himself, while Elvis only would end up with a small percentage.

Albert
09-03-2008, 12:32 PM
we will have On Tour on dvd without a doubt. But I'd expect a simple 1-on-1 version with just some minor remastering done. So basicly the same as the old laserdisc version.

It's really a pain to see good quality releases from lesserknown and less important artists and acts from the 60s to now, while we still have to wait for that 4th live dvd (NBC, TTWII, Aloha). It's not that we are getting spoiled here.

KPM
09-03-2008, 07:20 PM
we will have On Tour on dvd without a doubt. But I'd expect a simple 1-on-1 version with just some minor remastering done. So basicly the same as the old laserdisc version.
It's really a pain to see good quality releases from lesserknown and less important artists and acts from the 60s to now, while we still have to wait for that 4th live dvd (NBC, TTWII, Aloha). It's not that we are getting spoiled here.
Yes I think you are probably right, they just do not see enough profit in the total remastering a re-edit. Basically its because of their own terrible marketing of TTWII SE that it did so poorly and yet we fans are the ones who pay by not getting EOT SE.

Vegas King
09-03-2008, 07:23 PM
I think that they're waiting for some big anniversary to release that DVD

Unchained Melody
09-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I think that they're waiting for some big anniversary to release that DVD

What was last year. The 30th anniversary. :doh:

Disagree on that one.

KPM
09-03-2008, 10:12 PM
What was last year. The 30th anniversary. :doh:

Disagree on that one.
Marketing people sometimes see things in short range promotion and then long range promotion. Some marketing fools may be convinced they should save EOT till the 40th or gulp:blink: the 50th anniversary when it may be cheaper to work on the remastereing and so on-I do hope to be around at 103 but I doubt it. So lets hope they take the age of some of us into consideration.:lol:

Unchained Melody
09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
You're right Ken many of the original Elvis fans are in their 50-60's already and aren't getting any younger but I doubt they the makers of this would even consider that as a reason to rush it.(n)

KPM
09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
You're right Ken many of the original Elvis fans are in their 50-60's already and aren't getting any younger but I doubt they the makers of this would even consider that as a reason to rush it.(n)
No -even though the Baby Boomers are a huge generation to reckon with:lol:
Perhaps we should gather together and march and protest against the powers that be-sort of a "Gray Protest Movement" (although I am not gray and like Elvis never will be:lol:)

mozzarella
09-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Why FTD does not come out with DVDs???

KPM
09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Why FTD does not come out with DVDs???
They would have to buy or work out an agreement with Turner and the other companies who own Elvis's films (assuming they would ever consider selling). I imagine that would be costly.
If they bought EOT for example, then it would be up to EPE and Sillerman to clean up, remaster and re-edit all the film in order to put out a special edition.
With all the outtakes that again would be costly. I do not think they would ever sell the films to EPE-the companies which own them can wait 10 years repackage the old films (again) with little cost and resell them all over. Every time their is a new format for videos-Beta, VHS, DVD, Blueray etc....they will spend little and make a good profit even. Same as RCA over the years records, 8tracks, reel to reel, cassettes, CDs, Ipods and downloads- they have resold the same things over and over with a repackage and a few outtakes.