PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Read Sonny West Book?

SatninLove
08-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Has anyone read Sonny West's book Still Taking Care Of Buisness?If so,what are your thoughts?:hmm:
-SL

buttonhead
08-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I am in the middle of it... I have just read the T-R-O-U-B-L-E's chapter... it is interesting, some stories were the same from his Elvis What Happened Book .

We got this book last year during the big 30th Elvis Anniversary , me and my boyfriend got chance to see Sonny ( for me ) for the first time, my bf met him many times before anywho... he 's a very nice man, just like many other Elvis friends i came to see with.. got pic taken with him have lil chat and a polite thank you ;)

shelley.m.
08-30-2008, 03:46 AM
I bought the book a number of months ago but just haven't gotten "into" it.I just don't know who to believe,when it comes to "telling the truth" about Elvis.I have Jerry Schilling book as well.Is that a better read then Sonny West's book?

Brian
08-30-2008, 03:53 AM
I bought the book a number of months ago but just haven't gotten "into" it.I just don't know who to believe,when it comes to "telling the truth" about Elvis.I have Jerry Schilling book as well.Is that a better read then Sonny West's book?

Hi shelley m.

Jerry Schillings book is okay for people that are just getting into Elvis but if your like a die hard fan not much will be new.

Sonny's book has a lot he stated in the Elvis what happened except it's not sensationalized this time and it even had about 7 or 8 things I haven't heard before and I consider myself a big Elvis fan.

shelley.m.
08-30-2008, 04:31 AM
Thanks! Brian.

Tony Trout
08-30-2008, 06:47 AM
I read it and enjoyed it very much--to read of Sonny's reaction to Elvis's passing is heartbreaking.....:'(:'(

SatninLove
08-30-2008, 06:55 AM
I've only read two books so far about Elvis those being Elvis and Me,and Jerry Schilling's Me And A Guy Named Elvis.I thought both books are AMAZING....I love that both books give two diffrent perspectives of Elvis and his character.Jerry Schiiling's book has Elvis right on!
-SatninLove

Lisarose
08-30-2008, 05:35 PM
I haven't added Sonny's book to my collection. I was also hoping to see other member's opinions and reviews.

Tony Trout
08-30-2008, 08:24 PM
In regards to Jerry's book....I have read reviews that it's a 'whitewashed' account of his life with Elvis--of course, he is closely tied in with EPE so....that might be the reason.

utmom2008
08-30-2008, 08:34 PM
In regards to Jerry's book....I have read reviews that it's a 'whitewashed' account of his life with Elvis--of course, he is closely tied in with EPE so....that might be the reason.

I have read it, cover to cover and I don't agree with that. He tells plenty about the drugs and such, he just doesn't tell it with any malice. It is told the way a friend would tell something negative on another friend. It's NOT told with cold hard facts, the "facts" are there, but they are there with kindness. You know I would link it to Pris if I thought that was the case, but in this instance I just don't think it is.:blush::blink::blush::blink:

kathy parkinson
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM
I have read it, cover to cover and I don't agree with that. He tells plenty about the drugs and such, he just doesn't tell it with any malice. It is told the way a friend would tell something negative on another friend. It's NOT told with cold hard facts, the "facts" are there, but they are there with kindness. You know I would link it to Pris if I thought that was the case, but in this instance I just don't think it is.:blush::blink::blush::blink:

I agree with you Roseanne, he was writing about his friend, nothing more.:notworthy

SweetCaroline
08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
IMO
I loved Jerry's book. It is very much a autobiography of Jerry's life which I found very interesting. He also tells of his relationship with Elvis since his life was very much woven with Elvis'. Jerry's book definitely kept me interested. Jerry told about the drugs etc., but he did so with kindness and respect to his friend. If you are the type of fan looking for gory details and sensationalism you won't find it in Jerry's book. If you are a type fan who likes Elvis to be treated kindly as a human being, and with respect, Jerry's book will be a good one for you.

TotallyInsane
08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
IMO
I loved Jerry's book. It is very much a autobiography of Jerry's life which I found very interesting. He also tells of his relationship with Elvis since his life was very much woven with Elvis'. Jerry's book definitely kept me interested. Jerry told about the drugs etc., but he did so with kindness and respect to his friend. If you are the type of fan looking for gory details and sensationalism you won't find it in Jerry's book. If you are a type fan who likes Elvis to be treated kindly as a human being, and with respect, Jerry's book will be a good one for you.

(y)(y)(y)(y)

midnight
08-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Excellent post SweetCaroline!! I also enjoyed Jerry`s book.It told everything we NEEDED to know. It was wrote with love and true friendship.... (y)

Lisarose
08-31-2008, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by SweetCaroline
IMO

Couldn't have said it better. Jerry's book was not complicated and a fast read. Now a biased book would be the one written by the lady Elvis hired to be his nurse - Mrs. Cocke - can't think of her first name. She made it clear from the intro that she thought very highly of Elvis and was NOT about to reveal any confidences he may have told her. Her book "I Called Him Babe", was very sweet and loyal and I got the impression that she was convinced that Elvis did not have a drug problem and ate healthy meals. Okay.
Now then, back to Sonny's book...

buttonhead
08-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Have anyone get to the part where Elvis tried to heal Sonny son Brian , on Elvis , Still Taking Care of Business, book ?

I will quote this, it is funny IMO :

' ..Elvis heard he was sick with a high fever and called instantly with request that tugged at our heartstrings , " Would you mind of I came over and prayed for him ?" Elvis asked.
Fifteen minutes later he showed up with Linda. Around Elvis's neck was a large green scarf, and on his head was a white turban with a big , bright gem on front of it ...
...Elvis asked me (Sonny ) if he could 'lay hands' on Brian or try to heal him through the power of prayer. We set Brian down on Elvis green scarf (green is the color of healing, he explain ) ....
Transfixed by that bright stone on Elvis turban, Brian reached up and grabbed it and gave it a pull, causing the turban to fall forward onto Elvis's face.

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

utmom2008
08-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Have anyone get to the part where Elvis tried to heal Sonny son Brian , on Elvis , Still Taking Care of Business, book ?

I will quote this, it is funny IMO :

' ..Elvis heard he was sick with a high fever and called instantly with request that tugged at our heartstrings , " Would you mind of I came over and prayed for him ?" Elvis asked.
Fifteen minutes later he showed up with Linda. Around Elvis's neck was a large green scarf, and on his head was a white turban with a big , bright gem on front of it ...
...Elvis asked me (Sonny ) if he could 'lay hands' on Brian or try to heal him through the power of prayer. We set Brian down on Elvis green scarf (green is the color of healing, he explain ) ....
Transfixed by that bright stone on Elvis turban, Brian reached up and grabbed it and gave it a pull, causing the turban to fall forward onto Elvis's face.
:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Great story!(y)(y) Elvis was NEVER dull, was he? One of the many things I loved about him!:notworthy:king::notworthy

shelley.m.
09-14-2008, 08:29 PM
I took the plunge and started to read Sonny West's book.In fact I'm on chapter 23!!! Something I knew about Elvis before hand and other things I never knew.Like his drinking.Even tho',Elvis wasn't a "heavy drinker," he did drink according to Sonny.I know that I shouldn't believe everything I read.I'll have to finish reading the book and come to my own conclusions.

Teddy
09-15-2008, 12:06 AM
I enjoyed the Sonny book and the Jerry book. They're both written with sensitivity and reflect their respective personalities.
Jerry brings a lot of humanity to his account, sometimes running the risk of being a 'self-consciously nice guy' while Sonny will often yield to his urge to pontificate, which is never less than entertaining.

ehollier
09-15-2008, 12:21 AM

I agree that Jerry's book is written with such a warm and wonderful sense that Elvis is more than just an entertainer, more than a lost soul in the later 70's on drugs, more than a sex symbol taking up with whoever, whenever. His feelings for Elvis are as genuine as Priscilla's and I am happy that Jerry waited to tell his story. It sort of puts the other books into perspective.

Teddy
09-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Something I knew about Elvis before hand and other things I never knew.Like his drinking.Even tho',Elvis wasn't a "heavy drinker," he did drink according to Sonny.I know that I shouldn't believe everything I read.I'll have to finish reading the book and come to my own conclusions.
This is a subject worthy of its own thread and I'd start one if it weren't for my reputation as a troublemaker. :lol:
As it happens, I found myself contemplating this when I read the Sonny book, too.

It really irritates me when people say that "Elvis didn't drink" purely on the grounds that he wasn't 'a drunk'. If you've read enough books about him you will know that there are many anecdotal examples of Elvis drinking. And it doesn't matter.
I think it offends me mainly because the people who use this sweeping statement that 'Elvis didn't drink' feel the need to present him with this accolade because he died as a result of complications arising from substance abuse. It's like a piously granted concession to the effect of "Hey, he wasn't all bad" or "But at least he wasn't a soak".

Elvis was an infrequent user of alcohol. We don't have to patronize him by saying that 'Elvis didn't drink' at every opportunity we get.

Of course I admit that my British disposition means I don't especially find alcohol consumption to be a crime which requires sanctimonious explaining or excusing anyway. I've always found 'judging' to be far more disagreeable than imbibing.

utmom2008
09-15-2008, 04:12 AM
It really irritates me when people say that "Elvis didn't drink" purely on the grounds that he wasn't 'a drunk'. If you've read enough books about him you will know that there are many anecdotal examples of Elvis drinking. And it doesn't matter.
Elvis was an infrequent user of alcohol. We don't have to patronize him by saying that 'Elvis didn't drink' at every opportunity we get.

(y) (y) (y) (y)

presley31
09-15-2008, 01:28 PM
I didn't read Sonny's book, but maybe others might find it interesting.

shelley.m.
09-16-2008, 03:51 AM
I didn't read Sonny's book, but maybe others might find it interesting.

I'm not really "into" read biographies about famous "dead" people.I have lots of books on Elvis,most of them I haven't even read with the exception this book by Sonny West and June Juanico's book.To me,these people are only in it for the money and their 15mins of fame.I know that Elvis wasn't a Saint but who is?

Unchained Melody
09-16-2008, 05:11 AM

Exaclty right.

He's got to keep that relationship he has with Cilla and Lisa good, so they keep him around.

No in all seriousness I think Jerry is a good guy and one of the best friends E had.

As For Sonny's book, haven't gotten it yet, but plan on it. Sonny's a good guy in my book.

utmom2008
09-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Exaclty right.

He's got to keep that relationship he has with Cilla and Lisa good, so they keep him around.

No in all seriousness I think Jerry is a good guy and one of the best friends E had.

As For Sonny's book, haven't gotten it yet, but plan on it. Sonny's a good guy in my book.

Just curious.....have you read Jerry's book? If you have..I would love to debate a few things.;);):D

Unchained Melody
09-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Just curious.....have you read Jerry's book? If you have..I would love to debate a few things.;);):D

i have(y) indeed:blush:

Miss Clawdy
09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
This is a subject worthy of its own thread and I'd start one if it weren't for my reputation as a troublemaker. :lol:
As it happens, I found myself contemplating this when I read the Sonny book, too.

I think it offends me mainly because the people who use this sweeping statement that 'Elvis didn't drink' feel the need to present him with this accolade because he died as a result of complications arising from substance abuse. It's like a piously granted concession to the effect of "Hey, he wasn't all bad" or "But at least he wasn't a soak".

Of course I admit that my British disposition means I don't especially find alcohol consumption to be a crime which requires sanctimonious explaining or excusing anyway. I've always found 'judging' to be far more disagreeable than imbibing.

I partly agree. Interestingly I told a friend only last week that 'Elvis didn't drink'. Deep inside of me the reason to use this 'excuse' for Elvis was probably the reason you have mentioned.
But when I reflect over it this only happens when I am talking to 'Non-Elvis-Fans' because sadly what they believe to know about Elvis is that he was addicted to everything, be it prescription drugs, alcohol, 'dirty' drugs, food, sex...did I forget something :blink:? Then I feel the need to set the record straight, like hey Elvis didn't drink....in the sense of he was not addicted to alcohol. Apart from that I don't consider consuming alcohol to be a crime as well.

buttonhead
09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that Sonny just tell us the way it is . and he knew what fan would react towards it..he even admit that on his latest book.

IMO, i can either take it or leave it about Elvis drugs problem and issues its all been there and all over if i want to i could 'Google' it... Sonny tell how Elvis told him to dress 'sharp' when they went to hollywood, and let Sonny borrow his clothings,...:D the turbanator stories i found it more appealing.. does anyone knew that according to him Elvis celebrate his 40th birthday alone , few friend were there including Linda??? that was new to me in a sad way :(

Diane
09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I received Sonny's latest book for my birthday and finished reading it last week. I found it to be nothing more than a rehash of Elvis What Happened except maybe written in slightly softer tones but I still found that Elvis and pills etc. were mentioned too often and that Sonny bragged about himself too much...fights etc. and tried to white-wash himself about the lawsuits.

I didn't come away liking him any better, nor do I dislike him anymore....same old, same old.

Diane

Teddy
09-16-2008, 03:50 PM
I partly agree. Interestingly I told a friend only last week that 'Elvis didn't drink'. Deep inside of me the reason to use this 'excuse' for Elvis was probably the reason you have mentioned.
But when I reflect over it this only happens when I am talking to 'Non-Elvis-Fans' because sadly what they believe to know about Elvis is that he was addicted to everything, be it prescription drugs, alcohol, 'dirty' drugs, food, sex...did I forget something :blink:? Then I feel the need to set the record straight, like hey Elvis didn't drink....in the sense of he was not addicted to alcohol.

Yes- I see what you mean about where the non-fans are concerned.

Diane
09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I also understand what you're saying Tina, I would probably have the tendency to do the same.

It's also true of him not being a smoker as he smoked a fair amount. From all accounts, I don't think his alcohol intake was much though.

Diane

Teddy
09-16-2008, 05:04 PM
It's also true of him not being a smoker as he smoked a fair amount.

Very good point, Diane.

Brian
09-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm not really "into" read biographies about famous "dead" people.I have lots of books on Elvis,most of them I haven't even read with the exception this book by Sonny West and June Juanico's book.To me,these people are only in it for the money and their 15mins of fame.I know that Elvis wasn't a Saint but who is?

Hi Shelley m.

you have all those books on Elvis and haven't read them, why buy them then?

Did you like Sonny's book and June's book?

utmom2008
09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
I received Sonny's latest book for my birthday and finished reading it last week. I found it to be nothing more than a rehash of Elvis What Happened except maybe written in slightly softer tones but I still found that Elvis and pills etc. were mentioned too often and that Sonny bragged about himself too much...fights etc. and tried to white-wash himself about the lawsuits.

I didn't come away liking him any better, nor do I dislike him anymore....same old, same old.

Diane

I haven't read Sonny's book Diane, but I have talked to LOTS of people that say EXACTLY what you just said. There was a thread here from awhile back and Cameron said almost verbatim what you said. I've read Sonny once, and once was enough for me.;););)