PDA

View Full Version : Who is with Elvis

Lisarose
08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.elvismatters.com/index.php?pagina=nieuws&id=1722

Found this interesting, but I don't read the language, I just want to know who is riding beside Elvis please?- there's a lot of name dropping and perhaps it's in Baton Rouge? :D don't laugh at me, I'm 'doing the best that I can!' :blush::)

Diane
08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
I think Jen just posted this picture lately. Johnny Rivers is the one riding with Elvis in Los Angelos.

Diane

Getlo
08-13-2008, 03:18 PM
It is allegedly singer Johhn Rivers.

Tony Trout
08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
I wonder how long after this picture was taken, did Johnny record his version of "Memphis, Tennessee" that reportedly got Elvis so mad that he barred Johnny from visiting Graceland ever again?

Getlo
08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
I wonder how long after this picture was taken, did Johnny record his version of "Memphis, Tennessee" that reportedly got Elvis so mad that he barred Johnny from visiting Graceland ever again?

No, that was Terry Stafford, and his version of Suspicion. He was visiting Elvis, who played him the demo, and he recorded it before Elvis' version came out.

Memphis wasn't ever going to be a single for Elvis, but Suspicion was.

"Let the little bastard have his hit," was Elvis' alleged response.

Also:
"In 1964, Elmer Valentine gave Rivers a one-year contract to open his new club, Whisky a Go Go, on Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. The Whisky a Go Go opened three days before The Beatles released "I Want to Hold Your Hand"[citation needed] and the British Invasion knocked almost every American artist off the top of the charts. [B]But Rivers was so popular, producer Lou Adler decided to issue Johnny Rivers Live At The Whiskey A Go Go. The live album reached #12 on the charts and the single "Memphis" (a Chuck Berry cover) reached #2. Rivers made the successful transition from nightclub entertainer to chart-busting pop singer and had created the Go Go sound,[citation needed] part of a scene which included Go-Go dancers."

Diane
08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
I never heard that Tony. Why was Elvis mad because Johnny recorded Memphis, Tennessee?

Diane

marijaep
08-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Is this a pic of them two as well? :D

Getlo
08-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Is this a pic of them two as well? :D

It is, yes.

Diane
08-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Thank you for the explanation Getlo.

Diane

john carpenter
08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
What? I don't see Elvis? I see a man & woman. Neither one is Elvis.:lmfao::lmfao:

Tony Trout
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
No, that was Terry Stafford, and his version of Suspicion. He was visiting Elvis, who played him the demo, and he recorded it before Elvis' version came out.

Memphis wasn't ever going to be a single for Elvis, but Suspicion was.

"Let the little bastard have his hit," was Elvis' alleged response.

Also:
"In 1964, Elmer Valentine gave Rivers a one-year contract to open his new club, Whisky a Go Go, on Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. The Whisky a Go Go opened three days before The Beatles released "I Want to Hold Your Hand"[citation needed] and the British Invasion knocked almost every American artist off the top of the charts. [b]But Rivers was so popular, producer Lou Adler decided to issue Johnny Rivers Live At The Whiskey A Go Go. The live album reached #12 on the charts and the single "Memphis" (a Chuck Berry cover) reached #2. Rivers made the successful transition from nightclub entertainer to chart-busting pop singer and had created the Go Go sound,[citation needed] part of a scene which included Go-Go dancers."

Sorry, Getlo. You're wrong. It was, in fact, Johnny Rivers, that Elvis barred from Graceland. It's mentioned in "Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia" on page 202 and here is what it says:

MARTY LACKER: That happened in '64. Johnny was up at the Peruigia Way house one day, and Elvis played him a dub of his cut on the song. Not too long after that, we were coming home from teh studio in the Rolls and we were listening to the radio and they started playing, "Memphis" by Johnny Rivers. Naturally, we all got upset. I turned around to Elvis and said, "If you put yours out real quick, that'll kill his." And Elvis said, "No, let the little bastard have his hit record. I wish him luck, but I never want to see him again."

About two Saturdays later, Johnny came up on his morotrcycle beccause he used to go riding with the guys in the weekends. Alan and I happened to be in the courtyard out front, and we both started calling him a no-good theif. He acted real innocent. He said, "What did I do?" I said, "Johnny, if you don't realize what you did, that's your problem. But you've got five seconds to get off this property or we're going to have you thrown over the wall." He never came around again. But Elvis could get cruel. And he'd burn into you.

I never heard that Tony. Why was Elvis mad because Johnny recorded Memphis, Tennessee?

Diane

I guess Elvis thought that Johnny stole the song from him.

Diane
08-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Well then Tony, whoever it was that did it, Elvis had a right to feel angry then.

Thanks for responding to my question.

Diane

Getlo
08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Sorry, Getlo. You're wrong. It was, in fact, Johnny Rivers, that Elvis barred from Graceland. ... and they started playing, "Memphis" by Johnny Rivers. Naturally, we all got upset. I turned around to Elvis and said, "If you put yours out real quick, that'll kill his."

"If you put yours out real quick ..." ... what "Yours"? Memphis wasn't slated at any time to be a single, remember?

Tony Trout
08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
"If you put yours out real quick ..." ... what "Yours"? Memphis wasn't slated at any time to be a single, remember?

Well, maybe one of the guys forgot which song it was but either way....Elvis supposedly got very upset at Johnny and barred him from Graceland.

I'm only repeating what I found in the book as a source.

Suspicious Minds
08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I thought it was Joe Dowell or something like that was barred from Graceland after Elvis played Wooden Heart so many times. Joe recorded Wooden Heart and got a number one for his recording. This was why he was barred from Graceland.

Tony Trout
08-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I thought it was Joe Dowell or something like that was barred from Graceland after Elvis played Wooden Heart so many times. Joe recorded Wooden Heart and got a number one for his recording. This was why he was barred from Graceland.

The only instance I've ever read of anyone being barred from Graceland was Johnny Rivers.

Unchained Melody
08-18-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't blame E for having the guy banned from Graceland after pulling such a stunt like that....

Cherokee
08-18-2008, 12:22 PM
The language is Dutch and the article says it is a picture taken somewhere in the sixties of Elvis and Johnny Rivers riding their motorbikes in Los Angeles. The rest of the article is a short Johnny Rivers bio.