PDA

View Full Version : if you could bring one instrument more to the foreground

Albert
08-02-2008, 07:12 PM
With all those live cd's that have been released of Elvis, sometimes there's a bit more focus during the mixing or recording on a particular instrument.

For example: somewhere in 1975-1976 there was mentioning that James Burton was going to leave, so the had an extra cassette running with the show to record him playing. So the 'bootleg'-guys made a mix from this/these show(s) with the normal mono tape, mixing it with "James' tape". This resulted in a different sounding mix.

This way we now have shows where the electric organ, or the drums are more upfront (because they have been recorded seperately).

Listening to these kind of cd's (or some audience recordings) you notice how many fantastic instruments (or voices!) normally are mixed to the background. How many times do you actually hear JD Sumner? Or the rhythm guitar of John Wilkinson? Or Kathy? You know they're there (doing their best), but most of the times, they are lost in the mix.

So if you could mix a live show, what instrument (or vocals) would you want to bring more to the front (during the whole show, not just a few songs)? If it's too difficult, you may choose two ;)

ehollier
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I would love to hear Elvis singing a capella and/or the piano solo on some of the more dramatic ballads.

rocknroll
08-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Rhythm guitar. It seems as if John wasn't even plugged in, you can never hear him.

KPM
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I would have loved for there to be less horns, orchestration etc.
On some songs it added-on others it detracted. IMO The rock songs should have been less orchestrated-more core band.

italianfan
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Are you lonesome tonight, the laughing version, now thts one version where u can really hear the backing singer :P

SleepyJack
08-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Have to go with John Wilkinson`s rythm guitar.......on many of the shows poor old John seems to have had all his strings removed!......and it`s a shame,he was a lovely rythm guitarist.:hmm:

Sonny
08-03-2008, 02:13 PM
That not only happened to John, also the piano can not always be heard very clearly.

The perfect mix would be very close to the live mixing on the 1974 Memphis show, the FTD release.

I do like the sound of the drums a little more upfront, like f.i. on that 1977 FTD, Spring Tours.

ehollier
08-03-2008, 02:22 PM
In many cases, I would prefer LESS orchastra - horns and strings. Too much of that isn't always a good thing. More like "less is more."

toffe
08-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I would love to hear Piano alot more, Glen D`s Playing is awesome the times we can hear him clearly! :)

Unchained Melody
08-03-2008, 11:50 PM
I like the drums upfront, also would like to hear Elvis and the piano, and John Wilkinson and Elvis singing along..that would be awesome :D