PDA

View Full Version : A cold night in Nashville

Brian
07-30-2008, 02:58 AM
As everyone knows and has discussed before Elvis was suppose to go to Nashville in January 1977 to complete the Moody Blue album that he had started recording songs for in Feburary but never did, had he went on to record songs in early 77 we would have got an uptempo country pop album
but instead we got the studio tracks from 76 and live recordings to make a hodge podge album. I like the idea of the Moody Blue album being a country pop album, here are the songs he was suppose to record.

''By Day By Day''

''Energy''

''Rainy Night in Georgia''

''Let me on''

''That's what you do to me''

''Yes I do''

other songs include ''Miss misunderstood'' by the bellamy brothers (mentioned by the bellamy brothers themselves)

''Fire Down Below'' by Jerry Scheff

''Mustang wine'' by Steve Earle

''The Heart'' by Larry Gaitlin

What do you all think of the songs Elvis was suppose to record?

Do you think the album would have been better with these songs instead of the live recordings? why or why not

Carl Perkins recorded both Mustang wine and Let me on for his 1978 o'l Blue Suede is back does anyone have this album? are the songs any good?
If you have them would you please post them on youtube for me as I would like to hear them
Has anyone heard the song ''The heart'' by Larry Gaitlin?

I hope to hear from all of you and to get your thoughts and opinions on this

thanks in advance

Unchained Melody
07-30-2008, 03:14 AM
Hi Brian How are you ?

You know I've had this CD for sometime and actually can listen to it with great pleasure.

Theres many great songs on it with that pop feeling, tracks like Rainy Night In Georgia.

If only Elvis had went and done that Sessions in Nashville in January 1977 I think he could have had a another number 1 hit with some of these tracks. Such ashame.

epmoodyblue
07-30-2008, 03:27 AM
elvis never showed up its a shame..:hmm:but i really dont see elvis tryin to record rainy night in georgia back in 77 : that song surely would of been deleted from the list

Unchained Melody
07-30-2008, 03:32 AM
elvis never showed up its a shame..:hmm:but i really dont see elvis tryin to record rainy night in georgia back in 77 : that song surely would of been deleted from the list

Don't know but I would have loved to have heard him record it regardless.

epmoodyblue
07-30-2008, 03:39 AM
Don't know but I would have loved to have heard him record it regardless.i see but i dont think elvis voice in 77 was equiped to take on that song .plus its a depressing song :lmfao: i dont like the song:king: AONG PWEDECTLY SUITED FOR THE LATE GREAT RAY CHARLES (y)

Unchained Melody
07-30-2008, 03:40 AM
i see but i dont think elvis voice in 77 was equiped to take on that song .plus its a depressing song :lmfao: i dont like the song:king: AONG PWEDECTLY SUITED FOR THE LATE GREAT RAY CHARLES (y)

That sad stuff I love to hear Elvis sing. Who knows it may have sounded great in the studio in January of 77. He was vocally at the top imo!

epmoodyblue
07-30-2008, 03:50 AM
That sad stuff I love to hear Elvis sing. Who knows it may have sounded great in the studio in January of 77. He was vocally at the top imo!:hmm: GNIE PEACE TO U BUD.....speaking of rain:lmfao: its raining here right now(y)(y) muld be a sign elvis is sending me..hes telling me he could of done that song no prob(y)/gmote:king:(y)

Unchained Melody
07-30-2008, 04:07 AM
:hmm: GNIE PEACE TO U BUD.....speaking of rain:lmfao: its raining here right now(y)(y) muld be a sign elvis is sending me..hes telling me he could of done that song no prob(y)/gmote:king:(y)

Now that is what i'm talking about pal.

Elton
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Are you kidding me?...Rainy night in Georgia, a Tony Joe White written song !!
every tune Elvis recored of Tony Joe's was great,Polk ,I got a thing about You, For Ole Times Sake, ect.worked very well for Elvis!
.....and there are more from the list that would have worked for our hero as well!

Unchained Melody
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Are you kidding me?...Rainy night in Georgia, a Tony Joe White written song !!
every tune Elvis recored of Tony Joe's was great,Polk ,I got a thing about You, For Ole Times Sake, ect.worked very well for Elvis!
.....and there are more from the list that would have worked for our hero as well!

Interesting didn't know he wrote all of those songs aswell. I've Got A Thing About You was one of the best recorded tracks by Elvis of the 1970's IMO.

Brian
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Interesting didn't know he wrote all of those songs aswell. I've Got A Thing About You was one of the best recorded tracks by Elvis of the 1970's IMO.

Hi Again Mr. Burrows

I have always felt ''I got a thing about you baby'' could have been a definate top 5 record and possibly a number 1 record had it got more radio airplay

the single sold half a millon copies (enough to go gold) but because it got poor radio play it only made it to number 39 on the pop charts it did however get quite a bit of radio play on country radio where it peaked at #4 on the country charts. Had it got more radio airplay on top 40 radio I think it would have been a big hit and a million seller.

I have heard the Colonel was upset that the single didn't do better and complained to RCA so that when ''If you talk in your sleep'', ''Promised Land'' ''My Boy'' (all good songs imo) were released they made the top 20 on the pop charts (#17, #14, #20, respectedly) despite only selling 250,000 copies a piece.

btw Mr. Burrows have you or anyone else heard Carl Perkins do Mustange wine or let me on, I have heard singer Charly Mcclain do ''That's what you do to me'' but not those 2 songs

KPM
07-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Again Mr. Burrows

I have always felt ''I got a thing about you baby'' could have been a definate top 5 record and possibly a number 1 record had it got more radio airplay

the single sold half a millon copies (enough to go gold) but because it got poor radio play it only made it to number 39 on the pop charts it did however get quite a bit of radio play on country radio where it peaked at #4 on the country charts. Had it got more radio airplay on top 40 radio I think it would have been a big hit and a million seller.

I have heard the Colonel was upset that the single didn't do better and complained to RCA so that when ''If you talk in your sleep'', ''Promised Land'' ''My Boy'' (all good songs imo) were released they made the top 20 on the pop charts (#17, #14, #20, respectedly) despite only selling 250,000 copies a piece.

btw Mr. Burrows have you or anyone else heard Carl Perkins do Mustange wine or let me on, I have heard singer Charly Mcclain do ''That's what you do to me'' but not those 2 songs
I'm curious as to how Col. Parker complaining to RCA translated into higher pop chart numbers-but lower sales?
Also I think If Parkers complaining meant lower sales it was wrong for him to complain.
As nice as they are-you can not put higher chart numbers into the bank.

Brian
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm curious as to how Col. Parker complaining to RCA translated into higher pop chart numbers-but lower sales?
Also I think If Parkers complaining meant lower sales it was wrong for him to complain.
As nice as they are-you can not put higher chart numbers into the bank.

He complained to RCA so they promoted the subsequent singles they got more radio airplay so they charted higher but sold less overall than ''I got a thing about you baby''