PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Elvis Performances?

Jungleroom76
09-30-2004, 02:27 AM
I was just listening to a couple of older Elvis CD's (ELVIS: BACK IN MEMPHIS and FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS) and while listening to these CD's, I was simply amazed at the number of songs contained within these 2 CD's that are very underrated performances by Elvis, in my opinion.

So, I thought I would open up a thread to ask everyone's opinions on which Elvis songs they thought were underrated performances throughout his career!

In my opinion, as I listened to the aforementioned CD's BACK IN MEMPHIS and FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, I really found 4 songs which I thought were truly underrated:

* INHERIT THE WIND
* THIS IS THE STORY
* TRUE LOVE TRAVELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD
* A LITTLE BIT OF GREEN

I also have to say that I feel that Elvis' performance of IT'S EASY FOR YOU from the Jungle Room Sessions is also one of, if not THE most underrated performances of Elvis career!

I am quite interested to see what other songs everyone thinks are underrated! (h)

TCB!
Mike

buttonhead
09-30-2004, 04:42 AM
I was just listening to a couple of older Elvis CD's (ELVIS: BACK IN MEMPHIS and FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS) and while listening to these CD's, I was simply amazed at the number of songs contained within these 2 CD's that are very underrated performances by Elvis, in my opinion.

So, I thought I would open up a thread to ask everyone's opinions on which Elvis songs they thought were underrated performances throughout his career!

In my opinion, as I listened to the aforementioned CD's BACK IN MEMPHIS and FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS, I really found 4 songs which I thought were truly underrated:

* INHERIT THE WIND
* THIS IS THE STORY
* TRUE LOVE TRAVELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD
* A LITTLE BIT OF GREEN

I also have to say that I feel that Elvis' performance of IT'S EASY FOR YOU from the Jungle Room Sessions is also one of, if not THE most underrated performances of Elvis career!

I am quite interested to see what other songs everyone thinks are underrated! (h)

TCB!
Mike

I dont really like INHERIT THE WIND either, i really dont get the lyrics in there.....TRUE LOVE TRAVELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD....i like the lyrics but it keep on having some repetation and it is quite boring...:)

Actually, i dont like SUSPICIOUS MIND the studio version...its way too long ....i could go to bath room for 2 mins and that song stills on...
I think that many elvis songs are better on live version, thats what happened to 'THATS ALL RIGHT MAMA' he surely sing it way better in Thats The Way It Is video.

Dudcowboy_1
09-30-2004, 05:14 AM
To me the following where underrated...

1.) Torommow Never Comes (The most powerful song ever done next to Hurt. I like see him do this song at lease once.)

2.) Piece's Of My Life this to me next to My Way is what I call Elvis Theme Song.

3.) Solitare beautiful written should have been more pushin' on this song.

4.) My Way- Frank might have sang it first but this song was met for Elvis. It told his life all in 4 mins. But other than Elvis fans know he did this one.

carolynlm
09-30-2004, 07:39 AM
I Can Help and You Asked Me To are very under-rated in my opinion. I havee a couple of friends my age....yes OLD..... :'( who every so often I play a song of Elvis' that I don't think they have heard. Their faces just light up...it's great. There is an abundance of Elvis fans who have only compilation CD's, if that, so they don't get to hear the majority of his songs. It's our job to educate these people....tough job, but someones got to do it.......

Albert
09-30-2004, 08:04 AM
It's Only Love
Sound Of Your Cry
I'm Leavin'
High-Heel Sneakers
Down In The Alley
a Change Of Habit
I Will Be True

These tracks are extremely contempory and seldom used on compilations and never heard on the radio. These songs portray a non-hitsong Elvis in his best forum. "I Will Be True" is a real hidden gem, it's so extremely personal. If I remember correctly it's recorded in his Bell Air mansion where he played piano himself. These songs are for me The Master At Work: passionate, modern, tender, bluesy.....

jbgude
09-30-2004, 08:11 AM
There are just too many underated songs,throughout his career, in fact from the two albums that Mike listed, the Memphis American sessions alone, there are songs like " And the grass wont pay no mind" that I thought Elvis put the "mood" or "feeling" across very effectively. Then there are tracks like " Wearin that loved on look" and "Power of my love" ....

jb

elvis1970nl
09-30-2004, 09:12 AM
There are very much songs that are very underrated.

This Is Our Dance
Woman Without Love
This Is The Story
It's Easy For You

This are my 4 picks

NightRider
09-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi Mike,
nice to hear from you my friend (y)

I would agree with all your choices. Its Easy For you standing above the rest for being under-rated.
Others would be....
The sound Of Your Cry
Padre
honkey Tonk Angel....i just love that song (y)

I suppose as fans we would say this...but don't you think that some of Elvis Albums...Period...were under-rated. Especially in the 70's.
Elvis Today...Good Times..Promised Land...terrific albums that never really got the recognition they deserved.

But as i said.....i am a fan...so i would say that i guess :P

Joe Car
09-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Long Black Limousine, Just pretend, It's Over, to many others I can't think of right now.

ppresley72
09-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Do You Know Who I Am? is a very underrared song!!

Albert
09-30-2004, 11:01 AM
I dare to say that many of his soundtracks songs are underrated... even by the majority of his fans....

;)

elvis1970nl
09-30-2004, 12:45 PM
I agree on that Albert.
BUT you have to admid that some soundtracks are pure ****.
Just listen to Easy Come, Easy Go, and your life will not be the same anymore.
That must be the worst soundtrack of them all.

(n)

NightRider
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
I agree on that Albert.

(n)

I like Easy Come Easy Go :'(

Seriously, i do. :) Alot of the movie soundtracks....some of which are excellent....but the 'softer' ones...you have to take them for what they are. They are not a From Elvis In Memphis....sure....they are simply light entertainment.

I can quite easily sit and listen to the film tracks for hours. Even though my favourite era is the 70's. But i guess thats just me (y)

elvis1970nl
09-30-2004, 01:45 PM
I like Easy Come Easy Go :'(

Everybody has is own thing offcourse, but I can't stand "Yoga is as Yoga does" for example.

Seriously, i do. :) Alot of the movie soundtracks....some of which are excellent....

Yeah just like "Fun in Acapulco", that's my favorite soundtrack.

but the 'softer' ones...you have to take them for what they are.

I always do my best on that, but Easy Come and Speedway are the softer soundtracks to me, and yes OFFCOURSE both hide at least 1 song that's really worth it.

They are not a From Elvis In Memphis....sure....they are simply light entertainment.

I agree on that, and besides Elvis never had anything to say about the material either, so we even can't blame the guy.

I can quite easily sit and listen to the film tracks for hours.

Don't get me wrong, I can do too, I never turn ANY Elvis cd off, I listen to everything.

Even though my favourite era is the 70's. But i guess thats just me (y)

I agree on the 70's :D , but I am a real Live June/July 1975 fan.

Hmm answer is above, I think I did something wrong

NightRider
09-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Hmm answer is above, I think I did something wrong

I think you did elvis1970nl....but read and understood :P and i agree....1975 live is under-rated too....its great material.

You have good taste my friend (y)

Albert
09-30-2004, 01:55 PM
I agree on that Albert.

(n)

No, I don't agree :P

I can't find ONE soundtrack that hasn't a single good song on it. When a soundtrack can entertain me in any way, I cannot consider it trash.

I really like the titletrack 'EAsy Come, Easy Go'. I rate it as a fun song, not as a good song. There's a big line between fun and bad, and fans tend to call everything bad that's not good :hmm:

elvis1970nl
09-30-2004, 02:28 PM
No, I don't agree :P

I can't find ONE soundtrack that hasn't a single good song on it. When a soundtrack can entertain me in any way, I cannot consider it trash.

I really like the titletrack 'EAsy Come, Easy Go'. I rate it as a fun song, not as a good song. There's a big line between fun and bad, and fans tend to call everything bad that's not good :hmm:

Hi Albert, I guess you didn't read the other comments I made. I did say that EVERY single movie, had at least 1 song that was really worth it.
But as you listen to "Yoga is ........ " even you have to have your doubts. But again Albert!!! Every movie has 1 song that's worth it.
;)

Hans

Albert
09-30-2004, 04:18 PM
When I was a young (well, MUCH younger) boy, I found "Yoga Is As Yoga Does" a real fun song. But hey, I even liked "Confidence" and "Old McDonald" :P

But those songs really don't fit in the hidden gems category that we're talking about in this topic ;)

buttonhead
09-30-2004, 05:43 PM
There are very much songs that are very underrated.

This Is Our Dance
Woman Without Love
This Is The Story
It's Easy For You

This are my 4 picks

This is our dance....oh my...that was my wedding song :P the music is actually really good IMO.. ;)

buttonhead
09-30-2004, 05:56 PM
I dare to say that many of his soundtracks songs are underrated... even by the majority of his fans....

;)

yah i agree with you.... Albert,
" Yoga Is As Yoga Does..." remind me a litle bit to Forrest Gump movie as he said "stupid is as stupid it does ", " ALOHA OE " i dont understand the meaning as they sang in hawaiian , "Clambake" some men make fun of what is this mean , "Confidence" for kids maybe its a good song there is a message for them in there "Five Sleepy Heads" to take a baby to sleep its good , and " Hey Little Girl " mmm too much for a little girl " oh little girl i want to take you home ...i want you for my very own " its way too perverted .. ;)

Jungleroom76
09-30-2004, 10:52 PM
To me the following where underrated...

1.) Torommow Never Comes (The most powerful song ever done next to Hurt. I like see him do this song at lease once.)

2.) Piece's Of My Life this to me next to My Way is what I call Elvis Theme Song.

3.) Solitare beautiful written should have been more pushin' on this song.

4.) My Way- Frank might have sang it first but this song was met for Elvis. It told his life all in 4 mins. But other than Elvis fans know he did this one.

I AGREE WITH YOU 100% DUDCOWBOY_1 ON "PIECES OF MY LIFE" AND "MY WAY"!! IF THERE WERE EVER 2 SONGS IN ELVIS' ENTIRE CATALOG THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED THE STORY OF HIS LIFE, THESE ARE INDEED IT!!!

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
09-30-2004, 10:54 PM
I Can Help and You Asked Me To are very under-rated in my opinion. I havee a couple of friends my age....yes OLD..... :'( who every so often I play a song of Elvis' that I don't think they have heard. Their faces just light up...it's great. There is an abundance of Elvis fans who have only compilation CD's, if that, so they don't get to hear the majority of his songs. It's our job to educate these people....tough job, but someones got to do it.......

RIGHT ON CAROLYNLM!!! (y)

Keep on educating your friends (and ANYONE else who will listen)!!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
09-30-2004, 11:00 PM
GREAT LISTS EVERYONE!!! :clap:

I am so glad to see such spirited discussion on this topic!!! I agree that both Elvis' albums from the 70's, as well as a majority of the soundtracks are VERY underrated!

There were almost always one or two songs in an Elvis movie that were sub-par (the song itself, not Elvis' performance....Elvis could almost always save a song just in the way he sang it, regardless of how silly or mundane it might be...in my opinion anyway (h) ), but on the whole, I can't think of one soundtrack that is a complete loss. (Hey, perhaps this should be another thread in itself! ;) )

Keep up the GREAT discussion everyone!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Lonniebealestreet
10-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Let's see...

Never Again and Love Coming Down are among my favorite Jungle Room tracks, and they don't seem to get the praise they deserve IMO.

Love Me Tonight and Almost In Love are a couple of my favorite love songs--not chart-toppers, but every bit as good, to my way of thinking, as Love Me Tender and most of the others. It's Impossible...that one's so good that no matter how well it's thought of, it's still underrated. ;)

That's a few that come to mind right now. I may chime in later.

By the way, some of these I think are held in pretty high regard by most fans. Are we thinking 'underrated' in terms of how well they charted, whether Joe Schmo is familiar with and likes them, or whether fans today tend to think highly of them? Ah, heck, it doesn't matter. Any or all can apply. :D

Jungleroom76
10-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Are we thinking 'underrated' in terms of how well they charted, whether Joe Schmo is familiar with and likes them, or whether fans today tend to think highly of them? Ah, heck, it doesn't matter. Any or all can apply. :D

YES!!!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

Abbi
10-01-2004, 01:52 AM
Nobody ever mentions For Ol' Times Sake. Is it just me who finds this song very moving. I think it is one of the best performances of Elvis' career. Very tender and sung with feeling that can only come from experience.

Jungleroom76
10-01-2004, 01:57 AM
ONE OF MY PERSONAL FAVORITES ABBI!!! BEAUTIFUL SONG INDEED!!! ;)

TCB!
Mike

T_J
10-01-2004, 05:09 AM
I wouldn't select any of the Memphis songs as underrated, as the consensus among fans tends to be that this is some of the finest material of his career. It is highly rated!

I think the Good Times album deserves more attention. Loving Arms, Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues and Talk About the Good Times are superb tracks. Put the latter on and imagine how this could have worked on stage. I'm not sure Big Boss Man (original) gets the attention it deserves as one of Elvis' finest R&B performances either.

Someone mentioned Change of Habit. I can agree up to a point. This song starts in promising fashion. It's very catchy, with good production, but then the rather limp chorus kicks in. When I hear this I always think the songwriters should have worked on it a little more before submitting it.

Perhaps Big Hunk O' Love is underrated - I've heard some compare the 70s live version and prefer the latter. In truth, I don't think there is any comparison. Put your headphones on, turn the sound up and listen to the great take on Flashback, and you will hear a truly raw, vibrant, outstanding rock n' roll vocal. I'm not sure everyone appreciates how fantastically Elvis delivered these kind of songs in the 50s. Occasionally I'll have a 50s session and really listen properly. It never fails to provide a wake up call.

howardrobardhughes
10-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Fame and Fortune,For the Heart,Promised Land(muther f**cker) version,Good Time Charlie's GOT the Blues

Lonniebealestreet
10-01-2004, 05:30 AM
Awesome pic! (y)

I'm not sure of the relevance to the topic at hand, but since it's so cool, you get a free pass. ;)

Dudcowboy_1
10-01-2004, 05:36 AM
Yes 1975 was underrated.... But so was 1974 and 1976. I loved Sept. to Oct. '74 stuff. I mean 12th of Never, Talk In Your Sleep, Its Midnight, few others. And in 1975 Shake a Hand, Never Walk Alone, Piece's of my life, and few others. Now in 1976 when he sang Rags to Riches and I wished he played First Time I Ever Saw Your Face on paino but I was happy with Dec. 29th version. BEst one of all 4 live recordings of it.

Your friend,
Tim Dudley
Dudcowboy_1@yahoo.com
http://www.timdudley.tk

NightRider
10-01-2004, 08:44 AM
Nobody ever mentions For Ol' Times Sake. Is it just me who finds this song very moving. I think it is one of the best performances of Elvis' career. Very tender and sung with feeling that can only come from experience.

Yeah....Great call Abbi...thats one hell of a track....awesome (y)

dennyelvis
10-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Hmm...underated :hmm: what a darn shame there are soooo many , and that so many commercial Elvis fans only really get to hear his hits..ie: 30# no1s.
Some great stuff that came to mind....An Evening prayer...He touched me....
Where did they go Lord ?.....also one of my own favs , the heart rendering My Boy :'( also the desolate Ive lost you and the power of We can make the morning....geeez so many guys !
I agree also with so many mentioned , Its only love etc , i think we could make a No.1 selling custom album out of these superb songs...tell you what ! i would buy it ! ! ! (y)

Jungleroom76
10-02-2004, 01:30 AM
I think the Good Times album deserves more attention. Loving Arms, Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues and Talk About the Good Times are superb tracks. Put the latter on and imagine how this could have worked on stage. I'm not sure Big Boss Man (original) gets the attention it deserves as one of Elvis' finest R&B performances either.

GREAT CALL T_J!!! (y)

I couldn't agree with you more that the GOOD TIMES album definitely deserves more credit and attention than it gets! Just listen to how well Elvis performed GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES live on stage in Las Vegas on 8/19/74, and you can clearly imagine any of the songs from GOOD TIMES being performed live on stage! A definite shame that this album didn't receive more attention when it was originally released...or today, for that matter!

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
10-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Hmm...underated :hmm: what a darn shame there are soooo many , and that so many commercial Elvis fans only really get to hear his hits..ie: 30# no1s.
Some great stuff that came to mind....An Evening prayer...He touched me....
Where did they go Lord ?.....also one of my own favs , the heart rendering My Boy :'( also the desolate Ive lost you and the power of We can make the morning....geeez so many guys !
I agree also with so many mentioned , Its only love etc , i think we could make a No.1 selling custom album out of these superb songs...tell you what ! i would buy it ! ! ! (y)

RIGHT ON DENNYELVIS!! (y)

It is truly a shame that RCA feels the only Elvis music that the mass majority of the public will buy are the well known hit singles!! In my opinion, it simply illustrates how very little faith they have in some of Elvis' lesser known material.

I mean, could you imagine RCA releasing a ballads compilation, containing songs like:

*PIECES OF MY LIFE
*GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES
*MY BOY
*SOLITAIRE
*LOVE COMING DOWN
*ALMOST IN LOVE
*IT'S MIDNIGHT
*FOR OL' TIMES SAKE
*WE CAN MAKE THE MORNING
*THEY REMIND ME TOO MUCH OF YOU
*THERE'S ALWAYS ME
*INDESCRIBABLY BLUE
*MINE
*SUPPOSE

In my opinion, that would be a KILLER compilation...but since there isn't a hint of LOVE ME TENDER or ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT anywhere on this kind of a compilation, RCA would never even consider releasing such an album!

Truly a shame that RCA has such little faith in some of Elvis' more obscure recordings!! (n)

TCB!
Mike

dennyelvis
10-02-2004, 11:02 AM
You are so right Mike :clap: i do consider myself quite a hardcore fan... but i feel obliged to buy these new releases rather than must have em !
I guess the NEW sound helps but its just not enough (n) lets have a double collection of OUR songs released , with this excellent new technology , and have Unchained...Nightrider and the guys to make us covers worthy of such an awesome release !
Is this a pipedream Mike :'( or can i add it to my xmas list ?

rick
10-02-2004, 12:19 PM
TROUBLE and I've Got a thing About You are both underrated because they deserved to be top 10 hits.

Jungleroom76
10-04-2004, 01:38 AM
You are so right Mike :clap: i do consider myself quite a hardcore fan... but i feel obliged to buy these new releases rather than must have em !
I guess the NEW sound helps but its just not enough (n) lets have a double collection of OUR songs released , with this excellent new technology , and have Unchained...Nightrider and the guys to make us covers worthy of such an awesome release !
Is this a pipedream Mike :'( or can i add it to my xmas list ?

Sorry Dennyelvis....I'm afraid we're dreaming here... :'(

It certainly would be nice to see a collection like this sitting on a store shelf, but I'm afraid RCA will never see fit to release this kind of a collection. And, I agree with you....as much as the new DSD technology has helped to make Elvis' classic songs sound better than ever, how about applying that same technology to some of Elvis' lesser known, but perhaps greatest ballads? That certainly IS a dream, isn't it?? :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

NightRider
10-04-2004, 10:31 PM
RIGHT ON DENNYELVIS!! (y)

It is truly a shame that RCA feels the only Elvis music that the mass majority of the public will buy are the well known hit singles!! In my opinion, it simply illustrates how very little faith they have in some of Elvis' lesser known material.

I mean, could you imagine RCA releasing a ballads compilation, containing songs like:

*PIECES OF MY LIFE
*GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES
*MY BOY
*SOLITAIRE
*LOVE COMING DOWN
*ALMOST IN LOVE
*IT'S MIDNIGHT
*FOR OL' TIMES SAKE
*WE CAN MAKE THE MORNING
*THEY REMIND ME TOO MUCH OF YOU
*THERE'S ALWAYS ME
*INDESCRIBABLY BLUE
*MINE
*SUPPOSE

In my opinion, that would be a KILLER compilation...but since there isn't a hint of LOVE ME TENDER or ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT anywhere on this kind of a compilation, RCA would never even consider releasing such an album!

Truly a shame that RCA has such little faith in some of Elvis' more obscure recordings!! (n)

TCB!
Mike

Very well put Mike. And i totally agree.

BMG are put off by anything except the usual Love Me Tender etc. Thats sure the case over here in the uk......

Some countries are far more fortunate though.
The likes of Australia...Japan...etc
Their respective divisions of BMG actually do release a decent selection of material on their standard releases.

The 3 cd set 'The Legendary elvis presley', although it does contain the usual....they have included some real crackers too that you would not normally find on such a release. (y)

Same as in the fair east...where i believe Universal release for BMG..they have some great compilations too.

Not that i am in to buying material i already have a dozen times..but its nice to see that they are not so short sighted in other divisions of BMG :P

Jumpsuit Junkie
10-05-2004, 09:57 AM
So many underated, where to start ;)

I love "Any Day Now", "My Little Friend", "Promised Land", "Do The Vega"(Yes Really), "Edge Of Reality", "Memphis Tennessee" (Love the drum roll at the beginning), "Pledging My Love".

There are times when different songs mean something to me, so I guess next weeks underated could be so different :D

Lonniebealestreet
10-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Very true, both of you!

I wonder what it is that makes BMG USA think that the best-known hits are the only Elvis songs that people will buy--over and over again!

"Because they do."

Yeah, but they won't forever, and the new fans and those yet to be enlightened are very often drawn to the less popular material. And maybe some of the CDs of more obscure material haven't been big sellers, but then they have hardly been promoted at all. Have a little faith in Elvis' appeal; I think he's earned it by now!

"I didn't know Elvis sang that song" is a statement often made by pleasantly surprised listeners. And obscure songs that people haven't heard before at all, when sung by Elvis, come across so well in most cases. Given the size and variety of the Elvis catalogue, really lots of great compilations could be made of the lesser known songs. Turn the (perceived) negative of the songs not being well known into a positive:

"Discover Elvis in a whole new way!"

"Listen to a new side of Elvis!"

"...hidden gems from Elvis' crown."

"Songs you never knew Elvis sang!"

"You may have heard these songs before, but not by Elvis."

"Elvis: Beyond Blue Suede Shoes and Teddy Bears"

Whatever. But definitely a lot of great music is not being heard by a lot of people who would perhaps be converted if they did.

NightRider
10-05-2004, 07:25 PM
But definitely a lot of great music is not being heard by a lot of people who would perhaps be converted if they did.

Couldn't agree more Bobby....

Two good friends of mine have been converted.....from here songs other than those that are best known. And, as usually happens, they now enjoy those tracks too.
The best examples i can give are from song of the 70's on both occasions. Tracks such as 'Im Leavin'....'Thinkin about you'....'Its Midnight'...'its easy for you'....'Your love's been a long time coming'.....'honky tonk angel'....'pieces of my life'....'how the web was woven'...'You gave me a mountain'.....all songs that have helped to convert people who wouldn't have given Elvis a second before they heard them.

So its not hard to work out is it. There must loads of other music fans who have never heard the 'other side' of Elvis.....missing out big time :!:

Jungleroom76
10-06-2004, 01:39 AM
It is SO nice to see that more people are realizing just how short-sighted RCA is, when it comes to the Elvis Presley catalog. Just as we have discussed here on the board about EPE's refusal to promote Elvis post-Aloha, it seems to be the exact same problem at RCA in their lack of faith in Elvis' post-hits catalog. (n) (And, isn't it convienent that the lack of faith on both sides of this whole discussion is centered around anything having to do with Elvis after 1973!!) :hmm:

But, that is one of the main reasons why I love this messageboard so much, and am so proud to be a part of it....to be able to spread the word to other fans that there really is some great music out there, beyond LOVE ME TENDER or HOUND DOG....IF you know where to find it!!!

I was listening to the TODAY CD again yesterday, and just hearing all of the power and emotion Elvis puts into PIECES OF MY LIFE really makes me feel sorry for the Elvis fans out there who may still not know what kind of music Elvis was truly capable of recording, outside of his hit records!! These people NEED to hear PIECES OF MY LIFE, LOVE COMING DOWN, NEVER AGAIN, SOLITAIRE, WOMAN WITHOUT LOVE, etc. Basically, any of Elvis' recordings post-Aloha, which of course, leads right back to my opening sentences here in this post!!!

As I said before, it truly is a shame that Elvis' legacy is treated this way....with such little faith in anything having to do with Elvis after 1973!! (n)

TCB!
Mike

Cryogenic
01-17-2005, 04:08 AM
I was blown away by Elvis singing those high notes of "Hurt" in EIC when I finally got me a decent bootleg DVD. :D His live version of "Unchained Melody" (culled from the final edit of EIC, of course) is absolutely captivating. While Guralnick doesn't exactly denigrate it in Careless Love, he does give you the impression it's painful to watch - it's not; it's merely very poignant and an incredible viewing and listening experience.

I don't really know a lot of Elvis' work post-Aloha outside of EIC and a few scattered songs here and there. I am looking forward to uncovering it in the coming months and years.

You can step back much further, however, and find truly brilliant underrated songs in every era of Elvis' life. "Reconsider Baby", from Elvis Is Back, is incredibly sensual and bluesy. The musical arrangement is one of the richest I've heard on any Elvis track. Then there's the incredibly moving and simply gorgeous "I'll Remember You" which was tagged on at the end of his Spinout album. What a sublime place to put such an enrapturing song! Another favourite of mine is the beautiful "Twenty Days and Twenty Nights" straight out of 1970.

Underrated gems are everywhere. SonyBMG are largely to blame for this. Although I think it's important to keep paying respect to Elvis' most successful chart work, they should also push harder with lesser known material. Save for some of those awful 60s films, the phrase "bad Elvis record" is a contradiction in terms.

Mr. Songman
01-17-2005, 04:29 AM
I'm sorry to interrupt and sound so demanding, but we have all overlooked a song that was terribly under-rated. No Elvis song captures lyrics and emotions as does the beautiful Ito Eats from Blue Hawaii. All one has to do is listen to it and the tears start to flow. Now, please excuse me while I go finish my drink.

Cryogenic
01-17-2005, 04:57 AM
I know you weren't directly addressing just me there... but I didn't mean to imply his 60s movies work was a complete desert. Of the tracks I know from it, Blue Hawaii is an absolutely enchanting soundtrack. I'll have to hunt that one down. I'm not at all convinced it can possibly top "Can't Help Falling In Love" or "Blue Hawaii" or " Hawaiian Wedding Song", but if it's even halfway as good as any of those, I'm sold. I don't think Elvis' voice ever sounded quite so magnificent and soothing and downright other worldly as on that album.

EDIT: Wait... you were kidding, right? :lmfao: That's the anomalous track I've read about in reviews. Blegh. :blink:

Mr. Songman
01-17-2005, 05:28 AM
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

rick
01-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Good time Charlie, Talk About the Good Times, Just Pretend, long version of Whole Lotta Shakin', tomorrow Never Comes, are a few of many, many, great tracks that deserved to be hits
rick

JerryNodak
01-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Where to start? I was listening to the Elvis "Now" album the other day. So,
I'll mention these since no one else has: Early Morning Rain; Until It's Time For
You To Go; We Can Make The Morning; Sylvia; Fools Rush In.

nashville cat
01-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Just one song comes to mind -

"They Remind Me Too Much Of You"

Brilliant song and performance. One of Elvis' best ballads, IMO.

"C'mon Everybody" is one of his best rockers, but not well known.

From the 70's, I would say "I've Got a Feeling In My Body" is a towering performance and the band really cooks too.

boogie
01-19-2005, 06:26 PM
to me, if there's 1 song it would be "LIFE"...
always found this one so "real" and "true"
even the alternate takes sounds wonderful

poormansgold
10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
there are alot underrated songs He did, one for me will be "Gentle On My Mind: That's most underrated song by Elvis, He did great with this song, It sure be A Single in 1969 with "Power Of My love" On B Side. It's might been top 10 hits , at 2 on list.

Here my 4 picks
"Gentle On My Mind"
"Power Of My Love"
"True Love Travels On Gravel Road"
"Long black Limousine"

moody_ blue
10-16-2006, 03:16 PM
frankie and johnny
hard luck
petunia the gardeners daughther

very under rated those *****s who playing in his band in that kind of movies

EP6873
10-17-2006, 02:12 AM
"From A Jack To A King", "After Loving You", "She's A Machine", "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead", "There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon", "Please Don't Stop Loving Me", "You Don't Know Me", "The Last Farewell", "Pledging My Love", "Singing Tree"

Jungleroom76
10-17-2006, 09:41 PM
to me, if there's 1 song it would be "LIFE"...
always found this one so "real" and "true"
even the alternate takes sounds wonderful

GREAT CHOICE BOOGIE!! (y)

One of my favorite songs too, even though Elvis himself didn't care much for the song....there's just something about that song whenever I hear it... :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Where to start? I was listening to the Elvis "Now" album the other day. So,
I'll mention these since no one else has: Early Morning Rain; Until It's Time For
You To Go; We Can Make The Morning; Sylvia; Fools Rush In.

EXCELLENT CHOICES JERRY!!! (y)

"Sylvia" and "We Can Make The Morning" are definitely two of his more underrated ballads from the 70's, in my opinion!!

TCB!
Mike

Jungleroom76
10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
"C'mon Everybody" is one of his best rockers, but not well known.

RIGHT ON NASHVILLE CAT!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Raised on Rock
10-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Hello everybody. I havent post as much as I used to do it lately because of school and stuff but I Ive always check this greatforum once in a while and I just want to say this is great, long live TCB World.

Underated, its funny cause sometimes I think that beyond ELvis 30 #1 the rest of Elvis Material as a whole is underated by the non Elvis fan world, there is always that feeling that people simply take Elvis as a joke because the only think they heard is Teddy Bear young Elvis as a matine idol on TV or the overweighted guy singing Cant Help Falling in Love/Closing Vamp Elvis has left the Building thing. But any time Ill show people other kind of stuff, the reaction is always unanimous: Wow men, this is cool! I just never get to hear this, but this is good stuff, the guy was amazing! so from the Alternate generation people of my age, younger ones (usually our brothers and sis) and older people from the late sixties flower power generation, and even more older consumated Jazz musicians that I happen to be related with, they all agree in one thing when I they finally give me the chance to show them some Elvis stuff, They were MISTAKEN, ANd THe GUY IS FANTASTIC, and they all become if not fans, just plain Elvis music lovers, they respect him now, so do you guys think we need another ELvis greatest Hits CD?

Elvis 30 #1 hits was ok, it was a wise move for sure, they created this ELvis boom then the no1 singles rereleased in britain, that was cool, but about Second to None and the abomination that made the trilogy, that was the most stupid thing ever, the 30 #1 hits Elvis boom was the perfect time to introduce a totally diferent series of complilations showing and selling to a new audience the whole brand of Elvis musical styles, but they simply screwed this oportuinty buring our man into comercial explotation. But lucky we have Follow that DReam, dont you people think this classic album series could be released by BMG to? yes, but dream on.

But here is when stuff like this forum TCB WORLD became so important, one example, a friend of mine, one of those who usually mock the king pay visit here, got to lisen TCB Radio, wached some clips from the You tUbe forum here, heard some clips from the Follow tHat Dream forum, saw some pics, readed some threads, now hes asking me to show him some of that good stuff we all talk about here but nobody hears of it in the outside world.

Good job Elvis fans! TCB!

ruggishboo
01-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Here's some songs of Elvis's that I've always thought were underrated but good:

It's Easy For You
Never Again
Pieces of My Life
Do You Know Who I Am?
That's Someone You'll Never Forget
The Sound of Your Cry
Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues

poormansgold
01-23-2007, 01:28 AM
THere alot them.
there my songs are unrated

Gentle On My Mind, this one is most nice song he did
your Baby You Rock It
The Fool
Tomorrow Never Times
any day now
charro
That's my list
Tom

mubarak
01-23-2007, 01:34 AM
good time charlies got the blues
love song of the year
for the heart
pledging my love
just a random few understimated songs from many

Trisi
01-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Tell Me Why
Anyplace is Paradise
Wear My Ring Around your neck.........Just a few

Unchained Melody
01-23-2007, 01:32 PM
What a difficult question to answer...so many underrated songs our man has covered..below is a list that I think is VERY UNDERRATED and I believe they deserve the attention just as all of his work does !

It's Only Love
I'll Never Fall In Love Again
Long Black Limisouine
Inherit The Wind
Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
Blue Moon
It Hurt's Me

Lisarose
02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Sometimes it seems as if all Elvis songs are underrated except those we hear on the Oldie stations. Everyone has heard of Kentucky Rain, Blue Suede Shoes, All Shook Up, Hound Dog, Don't be Cruel, Teddy Bear, Jailhouse Rock, In the Ghetto. These radio stations don't seem to realize that we want to hear the other 500 songs Elvis sang. As Elvis fans, we all know the beauty of Moody Blue, Do You Know Who I am, Down in the Alley, Way Down. I need to get off my soapbox, but just one more dig - If WAy Dwon was a #1 for Elvis, why don't I hear it on my Oldies Station?:angry:

Underrated Elvis song - Early Morning Rain
Underrated Elvis Movie Song - Long Legged Girl

elvis himselvis
02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I think Elvis never should have sang Old Shep

es_gal
02-05-2007, 07:38 PM
some of the elvis songs that i think are underrated are

Hi-Heel sneakers
Fool
Its still here
i'll take you hame again kathleen

KPM
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Its Only love and also We can Make the Morning, especially We can Make the Morning.

Armond
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I've been an Elvis fan for over 30 years, and I just heard "Spanish Eyes" for the first time last month! I really like that song, and I wish Elvis would've kept it in the concert song list. Along this line, I really like the "O Sole Mio/It's Now or Never" from the later concert period. Even the joking with Sherill Neilsen was a hoot! Of course, the ending crescendo on It's Now or Never is simply awesome.