PDA

View Full Version : The 1970's Voice!

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-22-2008, 02:40 PM
The 1970's Voice! Having read in another thread about Elvis' voice I was interested to see what year you thought was the weakest.

I suppose this is a difficult decision as there is going to be good times and bad times in any given year... So the decision has to be based on overall performances for that year even though it is possible that Elvis gave a fantastic performance in a memorable show.

Let the debate begin....

poormansgold
07-22-2008, 02:59 PM
I vote 1970 is best voice point for Elvis, It's great and Rich and Smooth , after that I think 1971 and 1972 Are same way
Tom

rocknroll
07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I vote 1970 is best voice point for Elvis, It's great and Rich and Smooth , after that I think 1971 and 1972 Are same way
Tom

I believe you need to vote for what WASN'T his best voice.

CRITTERGITTER
07-22-2008, 03:28 PM
We need a category for I loved them all.

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-22-2008, 03:30 PM
We need a category for I loved them all.

But that isn't the question....

jak
07-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Elvis was at his weakest in 76.He was never more bored or uninspired during that time.By far the worst of the 70's.If he had lived longer 77 would have replaced it the way things were going.

poormansgold
07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry I miss Read The Tread , What I mean Was it at best That Time 1970, wrost voice was 1976 and 1977
Tom

Diane
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
I voted for 1976 as I think that's when his voice sounded thin and out of breath the most.

Diane

LtCarman
07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I voted for 1976 as well. His voice just seemed exhausted and weak. Though I do admit that there were many songs from 1976 that I do enjoy.

agent
07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Elvis sung Unchained Melody for the last time in june 25th of 1977.The very last concert was in june 26th of 1977.

Albert
07-22-2008, 05:44 PM
1976 was by far Elvis' worst year. Mentally, physically and vocally.... plain horrible. 1977 is also a bad year, but was just a continuation of the below-par Elvis of 1976.

1976 followed up 1975 which was a good year for Elvis fans and Elvis the entertainer (not Elvis the person persť). His looks and physics were still good, so was his spirit most of the year. Elvis in december 1975 was already quite heavier than the one touring in the spring and summer of that year. But his first tour and Vegas season of 1976 showed a different Elvis.

Vocally Elvis did many, many inspired (and sometimes even bad!) shows in 1976.

ehollier
07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
His voice was really good in the Spring of 1974 when he returned to touring. An example of his rich vocals can be heard on "Elvis, Live From Memphis" and which he won a Grammy Award for "How Great Thou Art."

ferry duivesteijn
07-22-2008, 06:14 PM
elvis had the best voice in anytime
this poll is nothing man

elvis' voice was a evoluion from the 50's till the end it turns better and stronger and the power he had in 1977 was femonenal

ForeverTheKing
07-22-2008, 06:14 PM
I voted 1976 too, if I have to choose one (y)

It's the year I like less in his performances ;)

SeeSeeRider777
07-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Elvis' voice was the weakest in 1976. Listen to the Tuscon FTD and he sounds weak. In 1977 he was belting out great songs but he still had a few weak ones, but nothing like 1976.

KPM
07-22-2008, 07:58 PM
I actually misread the question-I voted 1973 thinking the question was on when Elvis was in best voice. I think worst voice would be 76.

ehollier
07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I actually misread the question-I voted 1973 thinking the question was on when Elvis was in best voice. I think worst voice would be 76.

Me too. I thought it was the best year. OOOPS!!!! I guess I will have to go with the majority, 1976, since I don't generally listen to anything later than 1974.

Unchained Melody
07-22-2008, 09:46 PM
1976 handsdown....his voice was shaky, weak, thin....and just sounded weak basically...just like something like Jailhouse Rock from 1976.not the best vocal performance..but then 1976 shows alot of many inspired concerts from the beginning tour of '76, the tahoe stand, the vegas engagment, the oct , nov, and the last december tour...all had very well performed shows.

epmoodyblue
07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
hmm:.....well 4 me none of the above..elvis voice sounded fine in all those years from 70- to 77...in some cases elvis wasint feeling well so he sounded weAk like in tuscon 76 sorta...but if you bypass elvis apearance health problems which is what probably troubles some of you. but in the later years elvis sounded better than ever and gave some memorable performances to each his own ..we all have a point of view.....yes some shows he wasint in top form ..but theres tons of 76 shows that elvis brought the house down like buffalo in june of 76 ..memphis 76 he sounded just fine and so on ..sure couple of shows in 76 were shaky but just a few. but most of it for me was all good(y)(y):notworthyjust go listen to elvis live version of america in march of 76 in cincy dosent get any better than that.....def the best version of america elvis ever did(y):notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:king:

Unchained Melody
07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I actually find the Tuscon '76 performance to be one of my favorites from 1976 :blush:

Unchained Melody
07-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Sorry for THE ERROR on dates,but whatever..he was good until the end.ok?

When you say he was good until the end...I don't see how one can say for ex. that elvis in 1976 was as good as elvis in 1972, or 73-74 either...we learn to appreciate the shows for what they become..you know when Elvis wanted to being the key word there, he could perform aswell as he had ever...

TCBGIRL
07-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Ok.All I can say is that I always like his singing.I never went to his concerts.When I read the poll it was hard to choose because he always sound it good to me.

Unchained Melody
07-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok.All I can say is that I always like his singing.I never went to his concerts.When I read the poll it was hard to choose because he always sound it good to me.

I know what you mean my friend, i can enjoy a 1976 concert aswell as any other...I also say that 1977 is my favorite year for live performances...:blush::blush:
But thats what I like so its fine with me(y)

utmom2008
07-23-2008, 04:23 AM
I also say that 1977 is my favorite year for live performances...:blush::blush:

Why is it that you prefer the '77 live performances better than the other years?:doh:

Unchained Melody
07-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Why is it that you prefer the '77 live performances better than the other years?:doh:

That is a question i get asked alot..And the only answer I can give is that Its always just been sentimental to me.

.I see elvis, a man who had been giving his all to his fans all his life, he was up there in bad shape and he knew it but he put all his problems aside to keep making sure his fans were happy. he owed it all to them he would always say..and I just find him more human than ever that year.

I just find it my favorite..I love his voice I find it as powerful and rich as ever when he wanted to use it!!(y)(y)(y)

susan
07-23-2008, 08:32 AM
that`s difficult

I like his voice till 1975 very much. It changed a lot during those years but still getting a kick out of it

Unchained Melody
07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
that`s difficult

I like his voice till 1975 very much. It changed a lot during those years but still getting a kick out of it

1975 performance wise was a GREAT year for our man. Consistent all the way from the first show to the last of that year. (y)

Wendy56
07-24-2008, 01:36 AM
I like 72 and 73. :blush: (And all the other years... :lmfao: )

Jungleroom76
07-24-2008, 01:43 AM
Man, it's a tough choice since I am a HUGE fan of Elvis in the 70's... :hmm:

...and despite the fact that EVERY year during the 70's had it's share of highlights and lowlights, I have to go with the majority on this one that 1976 was probably his weakest year, voice-wise. While there are certainly some OUTSTANDING performances in 1976, especially from the March '76 and December '76 tours, those tours are merely bookends to an otherwise mediocre year. The summer tours are especially tough to listen to...again, while there are certainly good performances from those shows, for the most part Elvis' voice sounds weak and his song lineups and overall stage demeanor appear uninspired for the most part. :'(

A close second for me is 1971...especially the Las Vegas engagement from January! It was clear that Elvis was already getting tired of the daily grind of performing in Las Vegas, less than 2 years after he set the city on fire with his triumphant comeback!!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

rickb
07-24-2008, 03:35 AM
There certainly bad times in 74 and 76, but there were also good times in both those years.
Still, on average i think the nasally sounds of mid 1976 make it his worst year.

utmom2008
07-24-2008, 05:01 AM
A close second for me is 1971...especially the Las Vegas engagement from January! It was clear that Elvis was already getting tired of the daily grind of performing in Las Vegas, less than 2 years after he set the city on fire with his triumphant comeback!!! :hmm:

TCB!
Mike

He was probably just sad and depressed that Gail and I were neither one there for the January run.:lmfao::lmfao:

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-24-2008, 07:55 PM
For me 1975 was the last good year Elvis gave consistently, He was able to give good performances throughout 1976 and 1977 but they were fewer in number.

For me Elvis' voice changed around 1975-1976, his diction, the enunciation of words seemed a lot less clearer than that of say 1970. There is a definite change of style that strikes you when you listen to Elvis in Aug 1970 and compare it to New Years Eve 1976. In the earlier part of the 70's Elvis has perfect control, the latter although his still has power he doesn't seem to have the same control.

ehollier
07-24-2008, 08:08 PM
He was probably just sad and depressed that Gail and I were neither one there for the January run.:lmfao::lmfao:

That's what I've been thinking, too!!! :P:P:P:P:P

utmom2008
07-24-2008, 08:25 PM
For me Elvis' voice changed around 1975-1976, his diction, the enunciation of words seemed a lot less clearer than that of say 1970. There is a definite change of style that strikes you when you listen to Elvis in Aug 1970 and compare it to New Years Eve 1976. In the earlier part of the 70's Elvis has perfect control, the latter although his still has power he doesn't seem to have the same control.

When you say diction and enunciation are you talking about his singing and/or speaking voice? I really gave this post alot of thought..you seemed to sum it up very well. I never could put my finger on exactly what it was that was different, I just knew that something was.:blink: Does any particular song come to mind where you hear a big difference?
Do you feel like the difference in the 2 all comes down to drug intake?:blush::blush::doh::hmm:

utmom2008
07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
That's what I've been thinking, too!!! :P:P:P:P:P

Don't you think that's the most logical explanation?:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

ehollier
07-24-2008, 08:28 PM
When you say diction and enunciation are you talking about his singing and/or speaking voice? I really gave this post alot of thought..you seemed to sum it up very well. I never could put my finger on exactly what it was that was different, I just knew that something was.:blink: Does any particular song come to mind where you hear a big difference?
Do you feel like the difference in the 2 all comes down to drug intake?:blush::blush::doh::hmm:

I think it could also be a lack of inspiration or the monotony of performing so many times combined with the larger intake of drugs.

KPM
07-24-2008, 08:36 PM
His total breath control seems to suffer after 75.
On the all out full voice things he was still okay 75 on, but on softer things his breath control seemed harder for him to regulate. If he could take a huge breath he was okay but getting quick breathes inbetween words or phrases-he just was having a harder time it seems to me, the nuances were not there as before. IMO

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM

His speaking and singing voice changed, if you listen to Mystery Train - Tiger Man from Aug 1970 and then from the Spring Tours FTD you will see what I mean.

KPM
07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
His speaking and singing voice changed, if you listen to Mystery Train - Tiger Man from Aug 1970 and then from the Spring Tours FTD you will see what I mean.
His speaking voice just seemed to be almost a whisper, weak, no depth at times. Same on Mystery Train Tiger man-higher in tone-no depth.

Unchained Melody
07-24-2008, 10:35 PM
His speaking voice just seemed to be almost a whisper, weak, no depth at times. Same on Mystery Train Tiger man-higher in tone-no depth.

This could have been due to the excessive weight he gained..which made his breathes shorter when performing maybe...

Unchained Melody
07-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Me too. I thought it was the best year. OOOPS!!!! I guess I will have to go with the majority, 1976, since I don't generally listen to anything later than 1974.

Then you my friend are missing out on many great performances by going that route.:supriced:

ehollier
07-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Then you my friend are missing out on many great performances by going that route.:supriced:

I know you are correct. I've heard some of his concerts after 1974 and he is powerful, but is so heartbreaking to see him struggle, to hear the pain in his voice and the material that he gravitated towards at the end. It truly is heartbreaking. Please don't think I don't fully appreciate his voice and realize his true talents, but his life beginning in 1973 began to spiral downward and I'd rather hear and see him at the top of his game rather than a victim of his own excess and choices.

Unchained Melody
07-24-2008, 11:45 PM
but his life beginning in 1973 began to spiral downward and I'd rather hear and see him at the top of his game rather than a victim of his own excess and choices.

That started to sprial down before '73 I'm affraid...you could see the warning signs in EOT...even that early it was starting to show..but then Elvis had it under control...

Diane
07-25-2008, 12:23 AM
And that's really sad Jon as no one knew at all what was coming. I doubt if Elvis himself knew he was on his way down.:'(

Diane

Unchained Melody
07-25-2008, 12:25 AM
And that's really sad Jon as no one knew at all what was coming. I doubt if Elvis himself knew he was on his way down.:'(

Diane

Agreed Diane...when you hear Diamond Joe say things like they all thought he could go on forever...:'(

Jungleroom76
07-25-2008, 01:24 AM

Well...that solves THAT mystery!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

utmom2008
07-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Well...that solves THAT mystery!!! (y)

TCB!
Mike

Mystery solved!::hammer: Next debate please.:argue:

utmom2008
07-25-2008, 01:54 AM

That's what I have been saying since October 3, 1977. As stunned as I was to see how he looked in EIC, I was even more shocked at his speaking voice. He sounded weak and weary. Listen to him talk to the audience in TTWII, then listen to EIC...they don't sound like the same man.:sad::sad:

Unchained Melody
07-25-2008, 03:40 AM
That's what I have been saying since October 3, 1977. As stunned as I was to see how he looked in EIC, I was even more shocked at his speaking voice. He sounded weak and weary. Listen to him talk to the audience in TTWII, then listen to EIC...they don't sound like the same man.:sad::sad:

I believe all the uppers he was taking really messed his speech up in the Rapid City concert...he was talking so fast and stuttering it was sad. Especially when hes introducing the back up singers and goes I can sing but I can't talk....:'(

ehollier
07-25-2008, 05:48 AM
That started to sprial down before '73 I'm affraid...you could see the warning signs in EOT...even that early it was starting to show..but then Elvis had it under control...

I do agree - 1972 was an apparent change. Sometime around the early 80's, I had some VHS of Elvis on Tour and TTWII and the difference was unbelievable, even to a teenager that I was at that time. I had only heard about the drug abuse, but had really read anything by this time.

But its so visually and audibly apparent after Aloha, it just breaks my heart to watch him. I prefer listen to Pre-1973 recordings.

Unchained Melody
07-25-2008, 05:52 AM
I do agree - 1972 was an apparent change. Sometime around the early 80's, I had some VHS of Elvis on Tour and TTWII and the difference was unbelievable, even to a teenager that I was at that time. I had only heard about the drug abuse, but had really read anything by this time.

But its so visually and audibly apparent after Aloha, it just breaks my heart to watch him. I prefer listen to Pre-1973 recordings.

The aloha concert was definitley a big enough challege to make elvis get in the best shape he'd been in in a long time..because by november 72 you could see the weight gain already and the boredom starting to kick in.

ehollier
07-25-2008, 05:59 AM
The aloha concert was definitley a big enough challege to make elvis get in the best shape he'd been in in a long time..because by november 72 you could see the weight gain already and the boredom starting to kick in.

You could obviously see the drugs beginning to affect him in early 72 in Elvis on Tour - maybe not his vocal range, but definitely in his eyes and he just had such a pale tone to his face -- but in great voice.

Unchained Melody
07-25-2008, 06:04 AM
You could obviously see the drugs beginning to affect him in early 72 in Elvis on Tour - maybe not his vocal range, but definitely in his eyes and he just had such a pale tone to his face -- but in great voice.

Like I read somewhere in 72 i think he tried to sing away the pain he was going through...in EOT he did look abit pale and bloated in the face but still looked awesome I thought and the shows were out of this world..and this was before the superb MSG shows too.(y)

ehollier
07-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Like I read somewhere in 72 i think he tried to sing away the pain he was going through...in EOT he did look abit pale and bloated in the face but still looked awesome I thought and the shows were out of this world..and this was before the superb MSG shows too.(y)

Are we argeeing on something else, Bradley or are you just teasing me????

Unchained Melody
07-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Are we argeeing on something else, Bradley or are you just teasing me????

No I think we are agreeing !! :P:cheers:

ehollier
07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
No I think we are agreeing !! :P:cheers:

Gosh...well, Sir, I am quite honored!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!! That's 2 things so far that we actually agree on!!!!! Stranger things have happened, but I'm going to put this in my journal!!!!! lol............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LtCarman
07-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one that thought Elvis looked very pale in "Elvis on Tour."

Diane
07-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I found he looked pale in the on stage film of '72 as well but he seemed to be feeling well and his voice was great. That was when he hit the high note in How Great Thou Art isn't it? That was fantastic!

Diane

Unchained Melody
07-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I found he looked pale in the on stage film of '72 as well but he seemed to be feeling well and his voice was great. That was when he hit the high note in How Great Thou Art isn't it? That was fantastic!

Diane

Agreed and thats just one example of the many spectacular performanes from EOT!!(y)(y)

Unchained Melody
07-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Gosh...well, Sir, I am quite honored!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!! That's 2 things so far that we actually agree on!!!!! Stranger things have happened, but I'm going to put this in my journal!!!!! lol............:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The future is looking bright !! :lol:(y)(y)

ehollier
07-25-2008, 09:58 PM
The future is looking bright !! :lol:(y)(y)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, buddy. lol....

KPM
07-25-2008, 10:10 PM
The strange part is that in June of 72 he did not look like that. Looking at the press conference for the MSG shows he is tan and his face does not have that bloated look-only 2 months time from the filming of EOT.

ehollier
07-25-2008, 10:16 PM
The strange part is that in June of 72 he did not look like that. Looking at the press conference for the MSG shows he is tan and his face does not have that bloated look-only 2 months time from the filming of EOT.

An observance that is not lost on many. A few weeks off and a trip to the beach and he looks phenomenal. Can anyone explain this??

KPM
07-25-2008, 10:49 PM
An observance that is not lost on many. A few weeks off and a trip to the beach and he looks phenomenal. Can anyone explain this??
Well a trip to the beach is total relaxation to most people-it has to have a reviving effect. Its a normal thing, you don't have to be Elvis to enjoy the sun, fun, warm sand and cool water. Touch football, kidding around with friends no place to go..........great therapy for anything which ails you.
I recommend it to everyone.

Unchained Melody
07-26-2008, 05:05 AM

"Buddy"....:hug:now we're heading in the right direction...:clap:

Unchained Melody
07-26-2008, 05:06 AM
Well a trip to the beach is total relaxation to most people-it has to have a reviving effect. Its a normal thing, you don't have to be Elvis to enjoy the sun, fun, warm sand and cool water. Touch football, kidding around with friends no place to go..........great therapy for anything which ails you.
I recommend it to everyone.

Agreed Ken...Elvis knew he had to be in fighting shape for the MSG shows and in June 1972 he was certainly on fire....the whole tour from that month is phenomenal..:notworthy...(y)

utmom2008
07-26-2008, 05:16 AM
Agreed Ken...Elvis knew he had to be in fighting shape for the MSG shows and in June 1972 he was certainly on fire....the whole tour from that month is phenomenal..:notworthy...(y)

I was there for the Ft. Worth shows...they were awesome as well.:notworthy(y)

Unchained Melody
07-26-2008, 05:18 AM
I was there for the Ft. Worth shows...they were awesome as well.:notworthy(y)

June 18th 1972 ? That must have been some experience. I have the audience recording which is the only audio we have from that show so far on CD...you've motivated me to give it a listen tonight with the headphones...will be neat knowing you were in the audience..(y)

utmom2008
07-26-2008, 06:44 PM
June 18th 1972 ? That must have been some experience. I have the audience recording which is the only audio we have from that show so far on CD...you've motivated me to give it a listen tonight with the headphones...will be neat knowing you were in the audience..(y)

I still have the cassette version from the little tape recorder that I put in my purse.:lol: Yes..you need to listen, I will be the one screaming!!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

TotallyInsane
07-26-2008, 07:29 PM
I Was Screaming Louder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:P

Unchained Melody
07-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I still have the cassette version from the little tape recorder that I put in my purse.:lol: Yes..you need to listen, I will be the one screaming!!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

LOL Yeah Along with thousands of others....:lmfao:

SleepyJack
08-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Been busily head-scratching over this one...and it got me nowhere!....... I love his voice through all those years for many different reasons. On many of the later performances such as "I really don`t want to know" and "and I love you so" there is a depth and warmth to the voice that raises them above the studio recordings,and sometimes in certain songs the added weariness and frailty actually add something special.....my only complaints would be about the super-fast,"throwaway" versions of songs like "Jailhouse Rock" etc......that has always kind of got on my nerves a bit.....but the voice?....love it in all its incarnations.

Suspicious Minds
08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
I voted for 1970. The best studio sessions and live shows.

tony70
08-22-2008, 08:40 PM
my vote was 72 still great but honsety his voice was @ his best in 77 , I think

Unchained Melody
08-23-2008, 08:55 PM
I voted for 1970. The best studio sessions and live shows.

The question was which year was NOT Elvis' best year there Frank...

Unchained Melody
08-23-2008, 08:56 PM
my vote was 72 still great but honsety his voice was @ his best in 77 , I think

He had trouble holding notes, was out of breath much of the time, and couldn't control his voice as good as he had before. I understand your post though, as I am very fond of '77 for some odd reason.

tony70
08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
He had trouble holding notes, was out of breath much of the time, and couldn't control his voice as good as he had before. I understand your post though, as I am very fond of '77 for some odd reason.

I do agree with you on that , but as we both agree that his voice in those last concerts was so POWERFUL it was almost scary ----------- wonderful----- but I do agree take care

Unchained Melody
08-23-2008, 10:17 PM
I do agree with you on that , but as we both agree that his voice in those last concerts was so POWERFUL it was almost scary ----------- wonderful----- but I do agree take care

When he wanted to, his voice could always be powerful.

fillaelvis
08-24-2008, 07:34 PM

As long as we have the memory of Elvis, the future LOOKS bright.

renapap05
11-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I voted for 1975.;)

easyrider
11-27-2008, 08:43 PM
1976-1977.....