PDA

View Full Version : If You Had to Pick Songs for Elvis

SeeSeeRider777
07-10-2008, 02:18 AM
What song(s) would you pick for Elvis and what year of Elvis would you want singing it?

Crying- 1969 American Studios Elvis

In Dreams- ^Same

Wendy56
07-10-2008, 02:37 AM
So interesting question... I love Elvis' voice. He could sing anything and there are songs I'd like to listen in that awesome voice, but many of these are in spanish. :D
If I need to pick one, the first that come to my mind is "Break On Through". :P Also, "It's a man's, man's world" of James Brown. (y)

hounddog
07-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Light My Fire (1969 Memphis sessions)
Thrill Is Gone (Elvis is Back sessions)
Piece of my Heart (1969 Memphis sessions)
Roadhouse Blues (1969 Memphis sessions)
Eleanor Rigby (1969 Memphis sessions)
You Send Me (the Viva Las Vegas sessions)
Chain Gang (the Viva Las Vegas sessions)
Sixteen Tons (US Male sessions)
Suzi Q (for the 68 special)
You're My World (Spinout sessions)
Sex Machine (stax)
I Feel Good (1969 Memphis sessions)

i don't know dates of his sessions so i listed as best i could.

hounddog
07-10-2008, 05:41 AM
oh i thought of another

Superstious (stax)

Jumpsuit Junkie
07-10-2008, 09:30 AM
"Love is all around", a song written by.... Reg Presley lol and sang by the Troggs in 1967. I would have loved to hear this done by Elvis in 1972-77

TQQ6SfPZggw&feature=related

hounddog
07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
yes he'd do a great job of that.

Also John Lee Hookers Hoochie Coochie Man (either the One Night session or 1969 sessions)

and seeing we can dream anything by Chris Isaak (from the sessions that You Don't Know Me came from)

SeeSeeRider777
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Tears In Heaven- 1968 Comeback Elvis

Albert
07-11-2008, 12:50 AM
What song(s) would you pick for Elvis and what year of Elvis would you want singing it?

Crying- 1969 American Studios Elvis

In Dreams- ^Same

yikes, two great songs, but really, REALLY out of place during the sessions in the American Studios.

Those sessions could/should have been used for more contemporary songs. I agree with hounddog on songs like:
Light My Fire (1969 Memphis sessions)
Roadhouse Blues (1969 Memphis sessions)
Eleanor Rigby (1969 Memphis sessions)

SeeSeeRider777
07-11-2008, 12:58 AM
I take that back with Crying and In Dreams. The session when he got back from the Army would be better, I think.

rhythmknights
07-12-2008, 03:40 AM
i agree with "pieces of my heart - 1969 sessions " good one
how about "you can leave your hat on" Stax?
Kiss the Girl - Aloha from hawaii

I'LLRememberYou
07-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Rhythmknights,
I agree with you, would have loved to hear Elvis singing "You Can Leave Your Hat On", I'm not very familiar with "sessions" but I would have loved to hear him sing it during the "68 Comeback Special......I think he would have done an amazing job!!!!(y)(y)(y).

Another song is, "Give me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman, again around 68/69. And around the "Aloha " time , I would have loved to have heard him sing " Detroit City" by Tom Jones & "It's Just A Matter Of Time" by Brook Benton. Love these songs !

Merry
07-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Rhythmknights,
I agree with you, would have loved to hear Elvis singing "You Can Leave Your Hat On"

I would have lovedb to have helped Elvis out with this one, lol.

rhythmknights
07-13-2008, 12:43 AM
i wonder, would he have thought to do a song like Dude (looks like a lady)? it's got the rhythm i think he goes for. i love this song, it always reminds me of my favorite movie - Mrs. Doubtfire! i'd love to have seen him perform to this type of song - dancing on stage that is.

SeeSeeRider777
03-27-2009, 05:38 AM
Elvis and Celine Dion Duet: "All I Have to Do Is Dream" - 1976 Jungle Room Sessions.

rickb
03-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Duet with Celine Dion - no thanks.
However, Elvis would have made a meal of Roadhouse Blues whenever. He was perfectly suited to that type of material and i wished he had tackled more raunchy stuff in the 70s
It is a great pity he didn't complete full versions of Lady Madonna and I Shall Be Released as both had the makings of being real classics
Would have loved him to do Bruce's Fire

Lisarose
03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
I wish he'd done "Apron Strings" back in the 50's. That was one great song, and I know it's on that home recording tapes, so it must have been a strong contender.

SeeSeeRider777
03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Duet with Celine Dion - no thanks.
However, Elvis would have made a meal of Roadhouse Blues whenever. He was perfectly suited to that type of material and i wished he had tackled more raunchy stuff in the 70s
It is a great pity he didn't complete full versions of Lady Madonna and I Shall Be Released as both had the makings of being real classics
Would have loved him to do Bruce's Fire

Well I got the idea from the Bobby Darin and Petula Clark duet of that song. I heard it for the first time yesterday and I was amazed on how good that duet was. Elvis could have done better version of that duet with someone else.

Oh and I agree with you if Elvis would have done a complete version of Lady Madonna, **** that would have been a classic!

Brian
03-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I wish he'd done "Apron Strings" back in the 50's. That was one great song, and I know it's on that home recording tapes, so it must have been a strong contender.

I've heard Elvis was actually offered this song but turned it down.

Brian
03-27-2009, 09:56 PM
I think Elvis should've done more original material as he already did so many covers.

SeeSeeRider777
06-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Cara Mia- 1966 Elvis

LISY
06-17-2009, 07:59 AM
"Love is all around", a song written by.... Reg Presley lol and sang by the Troggs in 1967. I would have loved to hear this done by Elvis in 1972-77

TQQ6SfPZggw&feature=related
Definitely..would never had thought of this one..but now I hear it again, would have been really good for Elvis..Thanks:D

Dino78
06-17-2009, 09:36 AM
:hmm: there are some

The Junkie and the Juicehead, Minus Me
In My Life
Behind Blue Eyes
Devil's Right Hand
Pocahontas
The Ballad Of Ira Hayes
Nobody Loves You When You Down And Out
Kate
Honey
By The Time I Get To Phoenix
Little Green Apples

hounddog
06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
what about Starting Over by John Lennon?

Lisarose
06-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Crazy Little Thing called Love TTWII rehearsal - he can go crazy with it!
Beautiful Boy - I just like that song, and I'd love to hear what Elvis could do with it.
I can Only Imagine - 50's - just becasue I know that he preferred ballads

debtdbruno
06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
The Most Beautiful Girl in the World
That's a great choice, 'Crazy Little thing called Love' by Queen was brilliant.

Raised on Rock
06-17-2009, 09:45 PM
For the Feb '70 Vegas season, to be released: "ON STAGE" L.P.

"Delta Woman" Perfect for Elvis pop/soul style he was doing at the time. Polk Salad style.
YouTube - Joe Cocker - Delta Lady (Mad Dogs & Englishmen, 1970)

"Sticks n´Stones" (Elvis always made magic with a Ray Charles song)
(Can't find a video of Ray doing this one, but you all know it right?)

"I've Been Loving You" (Otis, now that was a most welcome challenge for Elvis and the TCB Band)
YouTube - Otis Redding live @ Monterey, Part 2 of 3

"Honky Tonk Women" (Jame Burton licks could have played magic on this one, although when I visualize Elvis doing these one, I kind feel it more close to the Tina Turner version same year than to the Stones original the year before.)
YouTube - Ike & Tina Turner - Honky Tonk Woman 1970

Raised on Rock
06-17-2009, 10:17 PM
For the Stand Up concert segment of the '68, right with the studio band sound, with that certain Elvis vocal approach, and those hard octane arrangements (Trouble/Guitarman like):

"Hush" Yep, the Joe South song, covered that same year by Deep Purple, (whose vocalist at the time was a huge Elvis fan, and you can tell by vocal aproach. Perfect stuff for the '68 Presley. (Another date that could have delivered a great version of these one was Sep '70 Nashville, "Whole Lotta Shaking GOing On Style", with Eddie Hinton" on guitar, right on!)
YouTube - Deep Purple "Hush" from Playboy After Dark

"The Wich" The one by the Sonics, yes why not? in kind of a Jam session R&B spirit right after the "Baby What You Want Me to Do Jam".
YouTube - Sonics - The Witch

"Light My Fire" Mentioned many times before in this thread, i think its over here, with '68 studio band sound, where could have sounded better by Elvis.
YouTube - The Doors - Light My Fire

Raised on Rock
06-17-2009, 10:34 PM
For the American Sound Studios, Jan & Feb '69, Memphis Tennessee.

January:
"Summer Time". Now here is a challenge that could have been gracefully succeeded at American Studios.
YouTube - Janis Joplin - Summertime (Live Gröna Lund 1969)

"Try A Little Tenderness" Yes!
YouTube - Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness

February:
"Dark End Of The Street" The '67 James Carr hit, Elvis could have had another jewel like "Only The Strong Survive" with these.
YouTube - James Carr - The Dark End Of The Street

rickb
06-18-2009, 12:54 AM
I would have opted for more soul, rock and blues - and tried to find originals rather than covers

Wonder Of You
06-18-2009, 09:49 AM
i would loved elvis to have recorded
the last kiss (1976 in studio and 1977 live)
You Can Have Her(In The Studio in 1974)
Blowin In The Wind (Live 1975)

LISY
06-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Would love to have heard him do these...
YouTube - Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine
YouTube - Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman

hounddog
06-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Originals would have been great, maybe some of Bruce Springsteen songs like Fire, i also think some soul classics When Something is Wrong with my Baby, Dock of the Bay, Mustang Sally, In the Midnight Hour, These Arms of Mine Elvis would have done brillantly.