PDA

View Full Version : Loving Arms

Unchained Melody
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Elvis recorded this song on December 13th 1973 at the stax sessions in Memphis. It is one of my favorite songs, but my question is, are there any alternate takes of the song, and if so, what CD could i find them on?

President Presley
06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
You can find take 2 of Loving Arms on "Essential Elvis pt. 5 Rhythm & Country"
It's one of my favorites ones as well.

Unchained Melody
06-24-2008, 05:37 PM
You can find take 2 of Loving Arms on "Essential Elvis pt. 5 Rhythm & Country"
It's one of my favorites ones as well.

Thanks, I have that CD here somewhere, I'll have to find it..thank for the help.

Lonniebealestreet
06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
A great alternate take, that one, which can pretty much be said for that whole CD.

If you aren't familiar, you might check out the remake of Lovin' Arms on the Too Much Monkey Business FTD, from the 1980 Guitar Man sessions. I am not crazy about a number of those remakes actually but this song is one they did quite nicely IMO.

kathy parkinson
06-24-2008, 05:56 PM
This is my all time favourite Elvis song, i LOVE it.

Unchained Melody
06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
This is my all time favourite Elvis song, i LOVE it.

It is one of my favorites aswell, when I first heard it I was amazed, and never knew that elvis had recorded the song.

Unchained Melody
06-24-2008, 06:00 PM
A great alternate take, that one, which can pretty much be said for that whole CD.

If you aren't familiar, you might check out the remake of Lovin' Arms on the Too Much Monkey Business FTD, from the 1980 Guitar Man sessions. I am not crazy about a number of those remakes actually but this song is one they did quite nicely IMO.

Thanks Bobby, I have that CD, will check it out!!(y)

elvisia
06-24-2008, 06:00 PM

I agree...After getting the Too much monkey business cd, this version of Lovin`arms has become my favorite....I just love the sound that Felton put to this great song by Elvis.....

Listen to the version here:

g3HHvNznoEw

Unchained Melody
06-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I agree...After getting the Too much monkey business cd, this version of Lovin`arms has become my favorite....I just love the sound that Felton put to this great song by Elvis.....

Listen to the version here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g3HHvNznoEw

Wow that sounds AMAZING. Thank you for posting the link, saved me the trouble of going through my CD's.

Lonniebealestreet
06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Ah yes.

Here then is the Rhythm & Country version, if you haven't found that CD yet, Brad.

BN5AGxxN9c0&

Thx to ademarbosa on YT for posting.

kathy parkinson
06-24-2008, 09:13 PM
WOW, i don't care how many versions of this song there is, i love them all.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Its on the album 'Good Times', although I prefer the song 'I've Got A Thing About You Baby' also recorded at Stax 22nd July 1973. :blush:

Merry
06-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Just beautiful. Thank you.

:hug: Elvis.......

Lonniebealestreet
06-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Love that album and love that song, Matt.

There's something magical about that tune; or at least, it rises above about everything else recorded that July. Perhaps it's just a matter of it being an upbeat song but I do not hear the weariness in his voice on that one like I do all the others.

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Love that album and love that song, Matt.

There's something magical about that tune; or at least, it rises above about everything else recorded that July. Perhaps it's just a matter of it being an upbeat song but I do not hear the weariness in his voice on that one like I do all the others.

I agree this is definitely an upbeat song from those sessions, the first time I heard it was on the movie 'This Is Elvis' (1981) although that version had been shortened. The other track that shines from those sessions are 'Raised On Rock'. The less said about 'Three Corn Patches' the better ;)

elvisia
06-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Wow that sounds AMAZING. Thank you for posting the link, saved me the trouble of going through my CD's.

You`re welcome....don`t know how the link I posted changed to the now seen youtube window, it takes up a lot of space, but hope it`s ok anyway...

LianaKaralivanou
06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
I just...love the lyrics of this song...
"...If I could hold you now
just for a moment If I could really make you mine
just for a while turn back the hands of time,
If I could only hold you now..."
It always brings tears to my eyes...

presley31
06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Wonderful clip thanks Bobby and elvisa for the link. One of my favorites indeed.

presley31
06-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Its on the album 'Good Times', although I prefer the song 'I've Got A Thing About You Baby' also recorded at Stax 22nd July 1973. :blush:

You can't go wrong with that song matt. elvis sure knew how to sing it and when he did boy was it powerful and his voice was great IMO

Jungleroom76
06-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Elvis recorded this song on December 13th 1973 at the stax sessions in Memphis. It is one of my favorite songs, but my question is, are there any alternate takes of the song, and if so, what CD could i find them on?

So far pal, the only two alternate takes of LOVIN' ARMS that have been released are take 2 & the 1980 remixed version, as already mentioned here.

This is definitely a beautiful song and hopefully some more usable outtakes exist of the song so that when FTD gets around to upgrading the GOOD TIMES album, we'll be treated to some more outtakes!! (y)

And might I say that you have EXCELLENT taste in Elvis music my friend!!! :notworthy

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
06-25-2008, 06:05 AM
So far pal, the only two alternate takes of LOVIN' ARMS that have been released are take 2 & the 1980 remixed version, as already mentioned here.

This is definitely a beautiful song and hopefully some more usable outtakes exist of the song so that when FTD gets around to upgrading the GOOD TIMES album, we'll be treated to some more outtakes!! (y)

And might I say that you have EXCELLENT taste in Elvis music my friend!!! :notworthy

TCB!
Mike

Well thank you Mike, much appreciated buddy :notworthy

And Bobby, thank you for posting that video aswell, I dearly hope we get some more alternate takes of the song in the future from FTD, that would really be nice as this song is one of my most favorites!! I know I have that Rythm And Country Cd here somewhere, I saw it just earlier today and now can't find it.:lmfao:(n)

And Matt, I agree with you, I Got A Thing About You Baby is a great tune aswell, should've been a bigger hit than it was at the time I think.

Can you all imagine how awesome it would have been if Elvis would have performe those two songs live on stage, just once.. WOW!!!

Lonniebealestreet
06-25-2008, 07:53 PM
You're welcome, friends.

Some great material came out of those Stax sessions for sure!

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Can you all imagine how awesome it would have been if Elvis would have performe those two songs live on stage, just once.. WOW!!!

Pretty cool if they turned up some day :notworthy

KPM
06-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I agree this is definitely an upbeat song from those sessions, the first time I heard it was on the movie 'This Is Elvis' (1981) although that version had been shortened. The other track that shines from those sessions are 'Raised On Rock'. The less said about 'Three Corn Patches' the better ;)
Actually Matt I like Three Corn Patches.When my brothers and I jam together have a lot of fun with TCP. But I have heard others fans who agree with you on that song. ;)

Jumpsuit Junkie
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Actually Matt I like Three Corn Patches.When my brothers and I jam together have a lot of fun with TCP. But I have heard others fans who agree with you on that song. ;)

Hi Ken, its deffo an acquired taste :lol:

Unchained Melody
06-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Have to admit I like it aswell Ken....(y)

Unchained Melody
06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Pretty cool if they turned up some day :notworthy

Matt, that would definitley be something spectacular for sure!!:blink::notworthy