PDA

View Full Version : Elvis On Tour (1972)

Albert
09-25-2004, 08:43 PM
ELVIS ON TOUR

Theatrical-Release: 1972
Studio: MGM
Director: Pierre Adidge & Robert Abel
Producer: Pierre Adidge & Robert Abel
Film Length: 93 mins
Colour/B&W: Colour

Cast:

Elvis Presley

Story:

This great documentary follows Elvis on his 1972 national concert tour.

Movie Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=nl&v=-aXRw2qiBIo

Songs:

Johnny B Goode
See See Rider
Polk Salad Annie
Seperate Ways
Proud Mary
Never Been To Spain
Burning Love
Lighthouse
Lead Me Guide Me
Rock My Soul
Love Me Tender
I John
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Funny How Time Slips Away
American Trilogy
I Got A Woman
A Big Hunk O' Love
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
You Gave Me A Mountain
Can't Help Falling In Love
Memories

LeMond
03-17-2005, 08:35 AM
I prefer this movie over That's the way it is because it captures Elvis on tour through the United States and that's exactly what he did the most in the 70's.
I especially like the scenes before and after the shows and the footage of Elvis at the airport.

Wendy56
10-26-2005, 06:13 AM
CREDITS:

Metro-Goldwin-Mayer
Produced and directed by Pierre Adidge and Robert Abel
Photographed by Robert Thomas
Opening act by Jackie Kahane
Edited by Ken Zemke
Montage supervised by Martin Scorsese
Research by Andrew Solt, Carole Kismaric, and Jack Goelman.
Elvis' wardrobe by Bill Belew

Released on November 1st, 1972

MUSICIANS WITH ELVIS:

James Burton
Charlie Hodge
Ronnie Tutt
Glen Hardin
Jerry Scherff
John Wilkinson
Orchestra director: Joe Guercio

Background and vocals by:

Kathy Westmoreland
The Sweet Inspirations
J.D Sumner
The Stamps Quartet

Wendy56
10-26-2005, 06:38 AM
SONGS:

* Johnny B. Goode
* See See Rider
* Polk Salad Annie
* Separate Ways
* Proud Mary
* Never Been To Spain
* Burning Love
* That's All Right (Mama)
* Lead Me, Guide Me
* Bosom of Abraham
* Love Me Tender
* Until It's Time for You to Go
* Suspicious Minds
* I, John
* Bridge Over Troubled Water
* Funny How Time Slips Away
* An American Trilogy
* Mystery Train
* I Got a Woman/Amen
* A Big Hunk o' Love
* You Gave Me a Mountain
* Lawdy Miss Clawdy
* Can't Help Falling in Love
* Memories

* Lighthouse (sung by J.D Sumner and The Stamps Quartet)
* Sweet Sweet Spirit (sung by J.D Sumner and The Stamps Quartet)

Wendy56
10-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Elvis on Tour is one of my favorite movies (documentaries). It was the second Elvis movie I ever saw, and the second documentary to capture him during live performances. This one was focused on Elvis' road show. *1 “We follow the singer's 15-city tour in the spring of 1972. The tour started in Buffalo, New York, and came to a rousing conclusion in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Much of the tour centered in the South, where Elvis' popularity reached a peak in the 1970s.”

From the very beginning, (movie) audience' attention is captured. The sequence introducing the title of the film is great: very “Vegas-style” with neon lights. The multiple-screen (split-screen: screen divided, showing different —multiple— perspectives of a scene) creates dynamism and excitement while “Johnny B. Goode” song is playing. Precisely, the split-screen is one of the principal characteristics of Elvis on Tour. By 1972, these kind of techniques where new and original.

To keep increasing fans adrenaline, this documentary starts with “See See Rider”. Elvis used to sing this particular song (not in every concert…) to begin his show, so it is a powerful way to commence the film. What a performance! In that same tone, “Polk Salad Annie”, “Never Been to Spain”, and many wonderful songs can be listened too.

The original idea of Elvis on Tour was to show the “real Elvis”, backstage and off-guard. But that didn't happen exactly like that. *2 “According to filmmakers Pierre Adidge and Robert Abel in the press kit for the documentary: ‘… after we filmed [Elvis] on tour and were allowed to shoot and record in places he had never allowed cameras in the past, we finally asked if he would mind talking about himself. He thought awhile and finally agreed’”. Those Elvis' comments didn't reveal the “truth” or something about him beyond the limits, however, those words were certainly useful and interesting to his fans.

As this film was thought to give an idea to the public of how the “king's” live performances were, movie-audience is able to see Elvis during the process of making up a concert. During the film, we can see him backstage, getting ready to offer an unforgettable show in every occasion. Also, people have the chance to observe how stage was prepared: audio and lighting checking, plus other activities related to it.

In helping to provide the audience a complete experience of being a part of a live show, sequences of people arriving to the place where performance was going to be done, are being displayed on screen. Scenes of Elvis backstage are great. We can even look his expressions (face gestures): feeling his nervousness and impatience to fill the audience with his music and presence.

There's a cool flash back to the 50s. Two performances of Elvis from the October 28th “Ed Sullivan Show” (“Don't Be Cruel” and “Ready Teddy” songs). Due to split-screen, public can see the reactions of fans from that time along Elvis is singing and dancing. Maybe filmmakers tried to demostrate the “king” was still popular and acclaimed for young and old audience, just like the beginning of his career.

Quick references to the Army epoch (by some pictures and sequences) and the Madison Square Garden conference are presented in Elvis on Tour documentary as well. Even Vernon Presley did a small appearing on screen talking about his son. Disc Jockey George Klein (he's now leading programs at “Elvis Radio Sirius” via Internet) can be viewed there too.

The “gospel-side” of Elvis wasn't greatly known in the 50s. (though he has marvelous songs from that era), instead, this facet is openly-expressed in Elvis on Tour. We can see the “king” doing some rehearsals along with his band. The ultimate Elvis-gospel-feeling can be remarked in the middle-film: songs like “Lighthouse”, “Lead Me, Guide Me” and “Bosom of Abraham” prove Elvis' passion for that beautiful kind of Music.

Two of my favorite songs are included in this film: “Bridge Over Troubled Water” and “I Got a Woman/Amen”. The first one is a touching, but powerful version; and the second song lights up the stage with pure energy. Actually, the whole repertory selected for Elvis' second documentary was awesome. His voice was magnificent by the time of 1972 (and beyond that date).

To finish the film, (and to continue with the idea of making the movie-audience feel how a live concert was) the chosen song was “Can't Help Falling In Love”. The final credits are accompanied by moving scenes of Elvis and his band in rehearsals. Also, many cute-fun moments portraying them off-concert, showing they good relationship, are displayed on screen.

Elvis on Tour is an excellent film. I truly love and hardly recommend it. Is a caring view of Elvis, after “That's the Way It Is” documentary.

Funny fact: The cost of this film production was of 600,000 dollars. It was recouped in only three days (in movie theaters). Elvis' fee was of 1 million dollars (!)

Quotes (and more info) can be found in this book: :-D

*1 DOLL, Susan. Best of Elvis. USA, Publications International, 1996, pages 88-89.
*2 Ibidem.

Tommy
10-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi Wendy,

Excellent! (y) :notworthy Really like the whole review. (y) Some very interesting details were written that I didn't know about. Thank you and keep up the great work. :notworthy

Thank you for being a true Elvis fan. :clap:

Tommy :)

Wendy56
10-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Excellent! (y) :notworthy Really like the whole review. (y) Thank you for being a true Elvis fan. :clap:
THANK YOU for reading my review... I tried to make it right. :blush: I'll keep doing something similar (or hope so). I LOVE Elvis!!!!!!! Want to be "a good fan" for sure! :P
Thanks for your kind words. :clap:

Tommy
10-28-2005, 12:07 AM
You are welcome Wendy,

Tommy :)

Hans
10-28-2005, 04:03 AM
Excelent review Wendy. A treat to read..!

Wendy56
11-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Excelent review Wendy. A treat to read..!
Thank you (for reading my text) Hans! :blush:
:flowers:

nabelt24
11-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Good review, Wendy! I can't wait untill they deliver a "Special Edition" of "Elvis On Tour"!!!! I hope it's just around the corner!!!!

Wendy56
11-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Good review, Wendy! I can't wait untill they deliver a "Special Edition" of "Elvis On Tour"!!!! I hope it's just around the corner!!!!
T-h-a-n-k-s nabelt24. :blush: Yes, Elvis on Tour is an excellent option. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. :clap:

Indre
01-12-2006, 01:07 AM
I love ALL the Elvis documentaries. I don't watch them, I eat them, suck them in, I swallow them, lol...there was a time a few years ago when I couldn't live a day without watching at least a short excerpt of some documentary. Usually it was the Johny B. Good part, or the Burning Love, Proud Mary parts in THIS movie, or any other cool stuff from That's The Way It is, or This Is Elvis, or Aloha....Now I don't have a VCR, so I am satisfied with audio material.....ok, will stop now, I just wanna say that I'm a huge admirer of this movie, and if anyone hasn't seen it, I highly recommend to watch it (y) (y) (y)

Trev1
04-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi Wendy,

Your review is great, I think Elvis on Tour is a very well made documentary...

I have some thoughts on what I and would think other fans would like to see in a deluxe DVD edition of Elvis on Tour ::

1. Tha full original documentary (obviously) :clap:
2. A full concert from spring 72' (y)
3. Elvis's full press conference from the Madison square gardens concery :D

Any other thoughts on what you would like to see included? :hmm:

It will probably be years before anything happens but heres hoping! :wacko:

Trevor

Wendy56
04-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi Wendy,

Your review is great, I think Elvis on Tour is a very well made documentary...

I have some thoughts on what I and would think other fans would like to see in a deluxe DVD edition of Elvis on Tour ::

1. Tha full original documentary (obviously) :clap:
2. A full concert from spring 72' (y)
3. Elvis's full press conference from the Madison square gardens concery :D

Any other thoughts on what you would like to see included? :hmm:

It will probably be years before anything happens but heres hoping! :wacko:

Trevor
Thank you so much for reading. :notworthy I wrote that review long time ago... Tried to do my best. :P Hope I have improved myself in that. :lmfao:

And about your question, well, I'd love to see the whole thing! You're SO RIGHT: Elvis On Tour is an awesomedocumentary. :clap: I guess that 72 spring concert would be great to watch. I'm already waiting for that deluxe DVD edition. :cool:

Thanks once more for reading.

Best Wishes. :flowers:

franny
04-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Wendy56, thanks for your great reviews!

I was just wondering, wasn't the song Always On My Mind in the 1972 Tour?
I didn't see it on the list...Does anyone know?

franny

Wendy56
04-30-2006, 08:16 AM
I was just wondering, wasn't the song Always On My Mind in the 1972 Tour? I didn't see it on the list...
Yep, the song is included, as far as I know... :hmm: (Sorry about that :blink: ). But I guess you better question to Albert, Tommy or Sonny... They're such Elvis experts. :D

Sonny
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
From memory, I guess "Always On My Mind" wasn't in "On Tour".

Some of the "On Tour" footage was used in f.i. "The Great Performances" dvd series, while playing "Always On My Mind".

But if I'm wrong, correct me, please.

Sonny

amzietamzie
04-30-2006, 04:01 PM
I think you're right Sonny. I just watched Elvis on Tour recently and thought I remembered seeing Always on My Mind on it, but it never came up. So yeah, the Great Performances sounds like that's where the footage is.

By the way, GREAT review Wendy! I love this film!

franny
04-30-2006, 04:11 PM
I think Always On My Mind is on the Elvis on Tour CD, but it wasn't in the movie version...maybe that's what I was thinking...

franny

elvis fan 1976
05-05-2006, 02:17 AM
Wasn't "Elvis On Tour'' supposed to be called "Standing Room Only"? :hmm: :doh:

franny
05-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Here's a clip of Bridge Over Troubled Water...

franny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-oNKSh0W2E

Dovey
05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Great video.. even though the audio was a little off..... that jumpsuit was truly awesome... :D Dovey ;)

franny
05-07-2006, 06:20 PM
You're welcome, Dovey...
Yes, I noticed it was off a bit too...lol...
He looks good in blue...

franny

franny
06-13-2006, 02:31 AM
here's a clip of Can't Help Falling In Love...:)
Enjoy!

franny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVtxhFMWUWg

Wendy56
06-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the video clips! :clap:

franny
06-15-2006, 01:40 AM
You're very welcome, Wendy! :)

franny

franny
06-16-2006, 02:26 AM
here's a clip of How Great Thou Art...

franny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qc_RvBz354

rams
08-11-2006, 03:05 PM
(y) Hi WENDY56 !

(y)Absolutely a most impressive review that I'm glad I was forunate enough to have read. I really apreciate all the details and your excellent hard work definately has shown through !:clap: :clap:
:D Loved it,read it over & over and thank you for your genuine perfection !!!:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :cool: :cool:

(y) Best to You !(y)

rams

Wendy56
08-14-2006, 07:21 PM
(y) Hi WENDY56 !

(y)Absolutely a most impressive review that I'm glad I was forunate enough to have read. I really apreciate all the details and your excellent hard work definately has shown through !:clap: :clap:
:D Loved it,read it over & over and thank you for your genuine perfection !!!:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :cool: :cool:

(y) Best to You !(y)

rams
THANK YOU, rams! But... It isn't that perfect at all... :blush: I'll improve my style anyway, I hope... :P
You're words made my whole month, friend. I can't find the way to thank you for being so kind to me, it means a lot (for this little journalism student ;) ). :notworthy

Best to you :-* :-* :-*

Wendy :flowers:

nabelt24
08-22-2006, 05:18 AM
Are they planning on releasing a remastered version similar to the previous ones... Aloha, 68 Special, etc.? It'd be great to see "Elvis On Tour" with the complete concerts and no 'talking-heads'.

Elvisguy
09-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Elvis on tour caught Elvis at his best during his concert tours in the 1970s. I hope we get an official deluxe edition on DVD that would include the complete Hampton road performance:D

memphis 77
09-21-2006, 03:31 PM
this was a very unique movie in its day probaly the first of its kind to capture an artist on tour and what goes into making a tour, i think the producers and directors did a great job no staging just a 16mm camera and E.P. it's ingenious, it showed us a totaly differn't look into elvis life and what it was like going to city and venue every night, i just hope one day we can seee each and evry reel of film.a great study into ELVIS the preformer.(y)

hounddog
10-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Elvis on Tour won the Golden Globe Award for Best Documentary in 1972.

Wendy56
04-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Elvis is wearing something red... He's recording the Always on my mind song, am I wrong? I think I saw that in "Elvis On Tour" :blink:

elvislady
04-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I think he was wearing a red shirt. i am sure if i am wrong i will be corrcted lol.
elvislady:D

alstrada
04-08-2007, 10:26 AM
http://dessaintes.webbuilder02.hostbasket.com/images/image021(1).jpghttp://dessaintes.webbuilder02.hostbasket.com/images/albums/On%20Tour/copiede588ti.gif

www.rareelvispresley.com

http://dessaintes.webbuilder02.hostbasket.com/images/albums/On%20Tour/copiede560mi.gif http://dessaintes.webbuilder02.hostbasket.com/images/albums/On%20Tour/copiede571js.gif

elvislady
04-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the link this site is brilliant.(y)
elvislady:D

elvisville
04-09-2007, 12:23 AM
i think the first time the Always On My Mind footaged surfaced was on the This Is Elvis movie.

elvisville
04-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Wasn't "Elvis On Tour'' supposed to be called "Standing Room Only"? :hmm: :doh:

that's right , that was going to be the original title

ElvisChick
09-12-2007, 12:59 AM
I absolutely love love love this movie!!!:D:D(y)

beckyelvis1
02-29-2008, 07:11 PM
I've yet to see this one, but I'm looking forward to watching it!

jean francois
03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I would be out for a dvd ttwii just as surely it will wait in 2027
For the exit:lmfao::lmfao:

poormansgold
03-06-2008, 01:42 AM
There Was A LP call Standing Room Only, Because of New York city show Came out first
The Standing Room Only LP was dump By RCA, The Tracks Was from Las Vegas shows in Feburday shows
That's FTD An American Trilogy release basic On
I Think That's part it On Hold or It's Copyrights Hold it up. We Are lucky Get one full
Concert from On Tour Shows On CD.
Tom

goodelvisgirl
03-06-2008, 01:57 AM
yup it was a great movie i also bought elvis on tour through my eyes with all the outtakes and uncut footage with elvis telling the story both were great it showed a different elvis from ttwii and how he had changed in the few years since we saw him in ttwii great movie

beckyelvis1
03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I've seen this now, it was really cool

waymore44
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Separate Ways is in the movie. Always On My Mind was not. It was in This Is Elvis and The Great Performances.

elsierock
05-31-2008, 03:40 PM
where could I download the movie? I like it very much, so please give me some help!http://hi.baidu.com/elsierock

elvisville
05-31-2008, 06:16 PM
it wasn't in the movie On Tour, the footage of him singing Always On My Mind was first shown in This Is Elvis

Sonny
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Updated with original trailer.

Sonny

beckelvis
09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Without Words,elvis On Tour Excellent(y):notworthy:notworthy

renapap05
12-19-2008, 04:51 PM
This film is excellent!(y):notworthy(y) I like also the part where it goes back in the 50s...That was the time I realised how different was Elvis' voice between 1956 and 1972.:supriced::supriced:

wild4elvis1962
12-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Love This Movie...shows Elvis Having A Good Time And He Is At His Best.