PDA

View Full Version : Sandi Pichon story about elvis

presley31
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
A HUNK OF BURNING LOVE: Woman writes about her life as an Elvis fan
By Ann Barks
(Times-Picayune, April 11, 2004)
In 1956, Sandi Pichon was a bored 11-year-old girl sweating out summer living in Memphis, Tenn., when she got the idea to knock on rising star Elvis Presley's back door. Such was the beginning of her years-long friendship with one of the most famous entertainers of all time. Pichon, who now lives in the Bayou Liberty community near Slidell, is keeping her love for the King alive by writing a book, "Raised on Elvis," that details how her teen and adult years were impacted by Elvis. Pichon is president of an Internet-based fan club that is holding an event Saturday in Slidell to honor Elvis and his generous heart. ... She still marvels at the continual polish of his performances, and in her book she describes her feelings as she watched the drugs and health problems affect her music idol and friend. Her perspective on the more controversial aspects of his lifestyle at the time, she said, is tempered knowing that "he was sick and we could see it was a sickness and he was taking pills to help the pain" of bone cancer [sic]. While Pichon said she was told in 1974 that Elvis had the disease, it "only came out probably last year to the general public that he had bone cancer." ...

The last time she spent time with him was in 1976. Shortly after that, she moved from Georgia to Covington, where she had moved to be near a friend and open a shop with her in Metairie. A few months later, she went to see an Elvis concert in Baton Rouge. The change in the King was more than just physical; none of the Memphis Mafia she knew so well and who had been with him for so long were working for him anymore. It was the first time in five years that she had no inside connections, no front-row seat, no special invitation to visit before or after the show. She sat in her seat, watched him perform and knew something was wrong. "I was crying because he looked terrible," she said. She contacted several former inside people she knew but no one felt there was anything they could do. ...

Notice Sandi mentions about the bone cancer too.

EnigmaticSun
06-17-2008, 07:08 PM
I mentioned bone cancer once, but some members said it was not true..?

Diane
06-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Most of the MM deny it saying that it was all a joke started by Vernon who told that to Charlie to see how far the rumor would spread as he was known not to be able to keep a secret.

I don't know why some still insist it was true. I don't know what to think about it personally because of these people not giving up on it. Charlie, Kathy and Sandi...all people that were very close to Elvis.

But, if the bone cancer was real, I can't see why it would have been kept under wraps.

Diane

jak
06-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Most of the MM deny it saying that it was all a joke started by Vernon who told that to Charlie to see how far the rumor would spread as he was known not to be able to keep a secret.

I don't know why some still insist it was true. I don't know what to think about it personally because of these people not giving up on it. Charlie, Kathy and Sandi...all people that were very close to Elvis.

But, if the bone cancer was real, I can't see why it would have been kept under wraps.

Diane

Rest assured that Elvis didnt have bone cancer.Sandi is a tremendous person who has some great memories.She wasnt that close to Elvis however.She was part of a group of fans that were lucky enough to gain a certain amount of access not usually given.The cancer story may have been told to her by Charlie.Those fans interacted with members of the entourage regulary back then.

Diane
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Yes that makes sense Jak...for Sandi but it still doesn't explain why Charlie and Kathy never let it go. They must have really wanted to believe it.

Diane

presley31
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes that makes sense Jak...for Sandi but it still doesn't explain why Charlie and Kathy never let it go. They must have really wanted to believe it.

Diane

Yes diane l still wonder how much of elvis health probelms we don't know about?? makes you wonder why someone make up something serious like that for a joke.

EnigmaticSun
06-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Seems like a cruel joke to me, whereas I don't regard Elvis' father a cruel person.

It would explain some things. I still don't understand why a lively guy like Elvis would physically deteriorate like that. I'm sure he didn't just take pills to have a laugh or party.

utmom2008
06-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes diane l still wonder how much of elvis health probelms we don't know about?? makes you wonder why someone make up something serious like that for a joke.

I just have a hard time thinking that Vernon started the rumor as a joke.....:blink::blush::blink:

presley31
06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I just have a hard time thinking that Vernon started the rumor as a joke.....:blink::blush::blink:

I would hope that vernon wouldn't do that, but theres only 3 people saying elvis had bone cancer and the others say he didn't so really what do you believe?

ehollier
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Seems like a cruel joke to me, whereas I don't regard Elvis' father a cruel person.

It would explain some things. I still don't understand why a lively guy like Elvis would physically deteriorate like that. I'm sure he didn't just take pills to have a laugh or party.

I think it was a combination of massive quanties of drugs (sorry guys, but that's the truth!) and a fast, hard lifestyle that just didn't begin in the 1970's. He was living fast in the 50's and 60's. It just wasn't was publicized as much. And from what is known now, he didn't start taking drugs in the 70's, but was taking drugs on a daily basis in the 60's. I believe that was very very hard on his body and exasperated his real physical problems in the end.

Tony Trout
06-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I mentioned bone cancer once, but some members said it was not true..?

A HUNK OF BURNING LOVE: Woman writes about her life as an Elvis fan
By Ann Barks
(Times-Picayune, April 11, 2004)
In 1956, Sandi Pichon was a bored 11-year-old girl sweating out summer living in Memphis, Tenn., when she got the idea to knock on rising star Elvis Presley's back door. Such was the beginning of her years-long friendship with one of the most famous entertainers of all time. Pichon, who now lives in the Bayou Liberty community near Slidell, is keeping her love for the King alive by writing a book, "Raised on Elvis," that details how her teen and adult years were impacted by Elvis. Pichon is president of an Internet-based fan club that is holding an event Saturday in Slidell to honor Elvis and his generous heart. ... She still marvels at the continual polish of his performances, and in her book she describes her feelings as she watched the drugs and health problems affect her music idol and friend. Her perspective on the more controversial aspects of his lifestyle at the time, she said, is tempered knowing that "he was sick and we could see it was a sickness and he was taking pills to help the pain" of bone cancer [sic]. While Pichon said she was told in 1974 that Elvis had the disease, it "only came out probably last year to the general public that he had bone cancer." ...

The last time she spent time with him was in 1976. Shortly after that, she moved from Georgia to Covington, where she had moved to be near a friend and open a shop with her in Metairie. A few months later, she went to see an Elvis concert in Baton Rouge. The change in the King was more than just physical; none of the Memphis Mafia she knew so well and who had been with him for so long were working for him anymore. It was the first time in five years that she had no inside connections, no front-row seat, no special invitation to visit before or after the show. She sat in her seat, watched him perform and knew something was wrong. "I was crying because he looked terrible," she said. She contacted several former inside people she knew but no one felt there was anything they could do. ...

Notice Sandi mentions about the bone cancer too.

There was no trace whatsoever of cancer found at the autopsy.....

presley31
06-17-2008, 11:41 PM
There was no trace whatsoever of cancer found at the autopsy.....

that fine Tony but why would 3 people keep going on about it??

jak
06-18-2008, 12:55 AM
I think it was a combination of massive quanties of drugs (sorry guys, but that's the truth!) and a fast, hard lifestyle that just didn't begin in the 1970's. He was living fast in the 50's and 60's. It just wasn't was publicized as much. And from what is known now, he didn't start taking drugs in the 70's, but was taking drugs on a daily basis in the 60's. I believe that was very very hard on his body and exasperated his real physical problems in the end.

You are dead on with these comments.Unfortunate but true.

jak
06-18-2008, 12:56 AM

They want to believe it.It makes things easier for them.

Tony Trout
06-18-2008, 12:57 AM

Your guess is as good as mine, Jen. I wish I knew the answer to that....:'(:'(

I've said this before and I'll say it again...if Elvis had bone cancer as early as 1970 (as Kathy and Charlie and Geller claim) he would have been dead long before 8/16/77 because the treatments for that type of cancer weren't advanced enough to have saved him. Even when my grandfather died in 1991 of bone cancer, he only lived four years from the time of his diagnosis until he died....and it was so painful to watch him slowly slip away...he was literally just the shell of the man he used to be....and I still miss him terribly....

Also, someone with bone cancer does not gain weight like Elvis did in his final years....

presley31
06-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks Tony and Jak, such a shame that elvis life is all wrapped up with stories and gossip.

jak
06-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Another point to remember.If he did have cancer obviously it would have been made public.After his death there would be no reason for secrecy.It might have even explained some of his drug use.

utmom2008
06-18-2008, 03:24 AM
And...let's not forget the obvious. GENETICS. Between his lifestyle and his genes he didn't stand a chance. Vernon and Gladys were hardly poster children for longevity.:blink::blink:

Another point to remember.If he did have cancer obviously it would have been made public.After his death there would be no reason for secrecy.It might have even explained some of his drug use.

Exactly Jak. That would have been the answer to their prayers.

Unchained Melody
06-18-2008, 06:49 AM
You are dead on with these comments.Unfortunate but true.

I agree. If you have read, Elvis was often getting really bad nose bleeds in the early 1960's during the movie days because they were going so hard on speed etc. People don't realize alot of the time that yes even then the drugs were a big factor in his life.

On the other hand, Sandi's stories are alot like a breathe of fresh air, always enhjoy reading them...

jak
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
And...let's not forget the obvious. GENETICS. Between his lifestyle and his genes he didn't stand a chance. Vernon and Gladys were hardly poster children for longevity.:blink::blink:
[/b]

Exactly Jak. That would have been the answer to their prayers.

Youre right.That's a tough thing to say but it's true.If the estate had anything that could somewhat justify his drug habit they would have gotten it out there.

Unchained Melody
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
If the estate had anything that could somewhat justify his drug habit they would have gotten it out there.

That's so true Jak, and had it been true the cancer stories, then they would have played his drug habbit off that big time IMO!

EnigmaticSun
06-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Didn't a lot of people earn a whole lot by spreading negative stories about doing drugs? It does not me seem to me that the estate would, in general (not just talking drugs here), pay Elvis' personal integrity too much attention. Money first.

KPM
06-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree. If you have read, Elvis was often getting really bad nose bleeds in the early 1960's during the movie days because they were going so hard on speed etc. People don't realize alot of the time that yes even then the drugs were a big factor in his life.

On the other hand, Sandi's stories are alot like a breathe of fresh air, always enhjoy reading them...
I believe that in the "Rev of the MM" Lamar and Marty Lacker kind of disagree somewhat on the nosebleeds. I think its Lamar who says the drugs may have had something to do with the extreme nosebleeds but Marty says that it had to do with Elvis wanting to stop making the crappy movies during the movie years and Parker and Elvis arguing about it. The pressure and tension of the situation of knowing he was making crap and feeling he could do nothing about it.

cameron
06-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Didn't a lot of people earn a whole lot by spreading negative stories about doing drugs? It does not me seem to me that the estate would, in general (not just talking drugs here), pay Elvis' personal integrity too much attention. Money first.

You're so right .A lot of people earned a whole lot of money, doing just that !

There wasn't much EPE could do at the time. I'd have to look it up again; but EPE couldn't do much of anything until they worked their way through the courts and got laws created to keep everyone from using Elvis' name . That law has helped a lot of artists protect their name.

Of course, you cannot sue for libel or slander on a dead person or their name. I disagree with that as I think many have been slandered , especially the dead who cannot defend themselves ! :'(

KPM
06-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Youre right.That's a tough thing to say but it's true.If the estate had anything that could somewhat justify his drug habit they would have gotten it out there.
IMO I don't think they could trot out every medical record on Elvis- ex-rays, blood work, diagnoses from physicians, total lists of all the ailments he had (or did not have) sleep problems, autopsy reports etc..... it would not change how people already think.
Some people will say:
"He had nothing major wrong with him ever so he needed nothing"
Others will say:
"He had bone cancer, heart problems, colon trouble etc... so he needed everything he got"
Either way minds by now are made up-either way the truth will not change it.

EnigmaticSun
06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Of course, you cannot sue for libel or slander on a dead person or their name. I disagree with that as I think many have been slandered , especially the dead who cannot defend themselves ! :'(

I agree with you totally, but some might say we're overly sensitive about it and that it's perfectly simple it's all down to irresponsible drug usage.

cameron
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I agree with you totally, but some might say we're overly sensitive about it and that it's perfectly simple it's all down to irresponsible drug usage.

I've been called much worse . ;) :lol: I'll accept that one and laugh !

Diane
06-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Not much in life is totally simple except for the small petty things that don't matter if you screw up. But generally life's more major decisions involve other people and issues.

As for the fact that Elvis eventually had drug problems, we could ask what was it in his basic nature that made him turn to them for comfort? Some people feel the need to hide in alcohol or drugs and some don't.....what makes the difference? My answer is chemical makeup and life situations. Anyone can disagree if they want to.

Diane

cameron
06-20-2008, 01:51 AM
I think Ken has pretty much shown all the problems Elvis had, right from the beginning as a child. There's nothing anyone can say if no one's willing to look. Everyone can and will believe what they want.
Ken does it nicely; I get tired of explaining. ;)

Unchained Melody
06-20-2008, 05:44 AM
I believe that in the "Rev of the MM" Lamar and Marty Lacker kind of disagree somewhat on the nosebleeds. I think its Lamar who says the drugs may have had something to do with the extreme nosebleeds but Marty says that it had to do with Elvis wanting to stop making the crappy movies during the movie years and Parker and Elvis arguing about it. The pressure and tension of the situation of knowing he was making crap and feeling he could do nothing about it.

True he was under tons of pressure and wanted desperatley to get out of those horrible movies contracts, but honestly I don't see how that would cause bad nose bleeds. Joe Espisito also stated that the nosebleeds Elvis was having really bad was because they were going so long without sleep, going to bed at 3 and they had to be up and be on the set by 5 in the morning and the more drugs speed etc they would have to take to stay awake. Joe even said they went to the doctor and he told the guys they needed to get some rest because their resistance was down or something and that was causeing the nosebleeds...Its on His Best Friend Remembers DVD.

ehollier
06-20-2008, 05:49 AM
True he was under tons of pressure and wanted desperatley to get out of those horrible movies contracts, but honestly I don't see how that would cause bad nose bleeds. Joe Espisito also stated that the nosebleeds Elvis was having really bad was because they were going so long without sleep, going to bed at 3 and they had to be up and be on the set by 5 in the morning and the more drugs speed etc they would have to take to stay awake. Joe even said they went to the doctor and he told the guys they needed to get some rest because their resistance was down or something and that was causeing the nosebleeds...Its on His Best Friend Remembers DVD.

The nosebleeds were something that always perplexed. I found it rather odd for these nosebleeds at his age. I never realized that drugs and stress can cause your nose to bleed.

Unchained Melody
06-20-2008, 05:58 AM
The nosebleeds were something that always perplexed. I found it rather odd for these nosebleeds at his age. I never realized that drugs and stress can cause your nose to bleed.

Guess when you go so long with no rest at all it is enough to cause the problem...it obivously was for Elvis and his group...

Dudcowboy_1
06-20-2008, 06:05 AM
I kinda believe he hand bone cancer because he was taking Corazone(spelling?) shot...what does that do to you? Oh gain water...hmmm. So he was in some kind of pain to be getting those shots. But to me...we ALL can say what we think or want to think. Some people might change are minds and some wont.

To me why do we guess when really only one that knows the truth is not here to defend himself because he pass away almost 31 years ago? So only one that knows is Elvis himself so....

Love to all,
Tim

Unchained Melody
06-20-2008, 06:09 AM
The bone cancer theory has already been proven to be not true whatsoever.

Tony Trout
06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I kinda believe he hand bone cancer because he was taking Corazone(spelling?) shot...what does that do to you? Oh gain water...hmmm. So he was in some kind of pain to be getting those shots. But to me...we ALL can say what we think or want to think. Some people might change are minds and some wont.

To me why do we guess when really only one that knows the truth is not here to defend himself because he pass away almost 31 years ago? So only one that knows is Elvis himself so....

Love to all,
Tim

The bone cancer theory has already been proven to be not true whatsoever.

Exactly. If it were true it would have been made know to the public and there wouldn't be any speculation of what caused his death.

And besides, people with bone cancer absolutely do not 'blow up like a balloon'....they basically waste away to nothing....did Elvis show these symptoms? No. He went in the opposite direction.

Dudcowboy_1
06-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Well I do remember lot of his close friends and etc telling me at shows or contest together. That from late 1974-1977 he was so sore the explained it was like it felt like his bones where brused all the time...so he was in some kind of pain...

Love to all,
Tim

cameron
06-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Well I do remember lot of his close friends and etc telling me at shows or contest together. That from late 1974-1977 he was so sore the explained it was like it felt like his bones where brused all the time...so he was in some kind of pain...

Love to all,
Tim
For what it's worth, Tim.
I don't believe he had bone cancer ,but something was very wrong with him physically. But, no one cares. It's easier for some to go along with what's been said for 30 years than to find the truth!

Dudcowboy_1
06-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Yepper Cameron like I said before only Elvis knows. Some people believe the media and some believe his friends. I would believe his friends over the media because they kinda have the "they hear what they want to hear" problem. LOL

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

Diane
06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I agree, I don't believe he had bone cancer either, but as Cameron said, there was certainly obviously something bad going on with him besides the drugs.

Diane

ehollier
06-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree, I don't believe he had bone cancer either, but as Cameron said, there was certainly obviously something bad going on with him besides the drugs.

Diane

When people are addicted to drugs, especially such a long-term addiction (what was it, 18 yrs??), combined with cortisone, YOU ARE GOING TO HURT!! When you taken enough demerol and dialudid (which they reserve for terminal cancer patients, by the way!!), you are going to have some residual effects. I imagine it could be the body's way of facilitating the addiction.

cameron
06-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Yepper Cameron like I said before only Elvis knows. Some people believe the media and some believe his friends. I would believe his friends over the media because they kinda have the "they hear what they want to hear" problem. LOL

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

I have no doubt, were Elvis able to return and tell us himself.
There are many that wouldn't believe him---until they asked the MM or read another book !

presley31
06-20-2008, 05:29 PM
When people are addicted to drugs, especially such a long-term addiction (what was it, 18 yrs??), combined with cortisone, YOU ARE GOING TO HURT!! When you taken enough demerol and dialudid (which they reserve for terminal cancer patients, by the way!!), you are going to have some residual effects. I imagine it could be the body's way of facilitating the addiction.

Yep you can't abuse your body for all those years and expect it to be in fine shape, I think what we seen in the last years was elvis body saying enough was enough.

jak
06-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I have never seen any evidence that Elvis had any serious medical conditions that would explain what happened.I think people are always looking for that smoking gun and it still hasnt been found after 30 years.His biggest health problem was his drug abuse and terrible lifestyle.This explains why his behaviour changed so much.It also explains why he lost his looks.The changes in Elvis the last few years were brought on by drugs.He went downhill at an alarming rate becuase of the increased drug intake.I just dont think there is any mystery.People on MB's can speculate all day long.People that never knew Elvis therefore dont have any special insight.It's all conjecture.Those around Elvis ,those who truly knew and loved him,would have filled in the blanks by know.They would want the truth known by all.The truth is none of them have ever contradicted the reason's for his demise.They have only reinforced them over the years because it's the truth.

cameron
06-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I guess you missed a few books, jak ! :hmm:
Along with medical reports ! :blink:

ehollier
06-20-2008, 05:39 PM

Love to all,
Tim

"Long-term side effects of corticosteroid injections depend on the dose and frequency of the injections. With higher doses and frequent administration, potential side effects include thinning of the skin, easy bruising, weight gain, puffiness of the face, elevation of blood pressure, cataract formation, thinning of the bones (osteoporosis (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=434)), and a rare but serious damage to the bones of the large joints (avascular necrosis (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2408))."

jak
06-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Correct.The fact Elvis was taking those painkillers is absurd.If anybody thinks he actually needed those they are fooling themselves.The stuff Elvis was taking was just as strong as hard street drugs.The people around him have stated over and over that he just liked taking them.He got hooked and then he got trapped.As stated earlier on Elvis was abusing drugs much of his adult life.

jak
06-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I guess you missed a few books, jak ! :hmm:
Along with medical reports ! :blink:

I thought you didnt believe everything you read:hmm:Did the MM write them?
Anyway.Elvis' known health problems like hypertension and others were seruious health issues.However,if any of you fans think he actually needed painkillers prescribed for terminally ill cancer patients youre wrong.It's time to wakeup.Elvis liked drugs because he liked being high.For what reasons I dont know.Maybe he was bored.

cameron
06-20-2008, 06:02 PM
I thought you didnt believe everything you read:hmm:Did the MM write them?
Anyway.Elvis' known health problems like hypertension and others were seruious health issues.However,if any of you fans think he actually needed painkillers prescribed for terminally ill cancer patients youre wrong.It's time to wakeup.Elvis liked drugs because he liked being high.For what reasons I dont know.Maybe he was bored.
That's a cop- out ,IMO.You only quote things from years ago!
The medical reports are from doctors, more educated than any of the MM !

utmom2008
06-20-2008, 06:14 PM
It's time to wakeup.Elvis liked drugs because he liked being high.For what reasons I dont know.Maybe he was bored.

It's difficult to argue with that Jak. That fact is what it is.:blush: When I had my first child I ended up having an emergency C-Section. I was in the hospital for 6 days. It was my 1st experience with liquid Demerol given with an injection. Oh my!:supriced::supriced: I remember at one point telling my hubs(about 15 min. after the shot) that I could "sure see why Elvis had chosen Demerol as one of his favorites".;):lol::lol:;)

jak
06-20-2008, 06:16 PM
That's a cop- out ,IMO.You only quote things from years ago!
The medical reports are from doctors, more educated than any of the MM !

No doctor in his right mind ever thought Elvis needed the painkillers he was abusing.Why cant you just admit it?I dont think anybody here,can actually believe that.

ehollier
06-20-2008, 06:19 PM
No doctor in his right mind ever thought Elvis needed the painkillers he was abusing.Why cant you just admit it?I dont think anybody here,can actually believe that.

Painkillers are for chronic pain and worse yet, terminal pain. An occassional migraine would not be considered chronic pain. The residual effects of the cortisone caused him pain; however, it does not faciliate demerol and dialudid taken on a daily basis.

cameron
06-20-2008, 06:27 PM

Why can't anyone look at his physical condition? And/or some of the ways he was used and taken advantage of? ! Some see only what they want to see, and place blame on only one person ! There's a whole other world of "truth" that many refuse to look at! It's your problem, I choose to not be so narrow minded !

ehollier
06-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Why can't anyone look at his physical condition? And/or some of the ways he was used and taken advantage of? ! Some see only what they want to see, and place blame on only one person ! There's a whole other world of "truth" that many refuse to look at! It's your problem, I choose to not be so narrow minded !

Please, if you would be so kind, give us some specifics to support this "ways he was used and taken advantage of?" Yes, I can certainly see his physical conditions, which appear to me the results of a poor diet, no exercise, abuse of steroids, and drugs. I am not trying to smart off and would be eager to agree with you; however, I do not know the specifics of ways he was used and taken advantage.

cameron
06-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Please, if you would be so kind, give us some specifics to support this "ways he was used and taken advantage of?" Yes, I can certainly see his physical conditions, which appear to me the results of a poor diet, not exercise, abuse of steroids, and drugs. I am not trying to smart off and would be eager to agree with you; however, I do not know the specifics of ways he was used and taken advantage.
This has all been discussed before. But, as Lisa says; Nobody Noticed !
Nor do they seem to care.

I do not deny Elvis abused prescription drugs . I only deny he set out to "enjoy them!" There are factors that have come out over the years no one was aware of at the time ! Nor will some admit it now !

ehollier
06-20-2008, 06:51 PM
This has all been discussed before.

If I truly knew the answers to your earlier post, I would not waste my time asking again. When was this discussed. Please give me the link so I can read it and come to a more educated conclusion.

cameron
06-20-2008, 07:09 PM
If I truly knew the answers to your earlier post, I would not waste my time asking again. When was this discussed. Please give me the link so I can read it and come to a more educated conclusion.

Maybe "discussed " wouldn't be the right word. . It was brought to others attention, but no one appreared to care .
IMO, we do a great disservice to anyone, if we don't look at the beginning of ones life before jumping to the end !
I'm busy today, but I'll try to find some of the "beginnings."

ehollier
06-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Maybe "discussed " wouldn't be the right word. . It was brought to others attention, but no one appreared to care .
IMO, we do a great disservice to anyone, if we don't look at the beginning of ones life before jumping to the end !

Cameron, that would be most appreciated; however, "It was brought to others attention, but no one appreared to care . IMO, we do a great disservice to anyone, if we don't look at the beginning of ones life before jumping to the end !" doesn't support your previous statement of "ways he was used and taken advantage of?"

4THEHEART
06-20-2008, 07:17 PM
IMO,too light an enjoyment were those drug's effects for Elvis..not for a person at his spiritual level and needs..then again, what kind of a person we see in him(hey!Idon't mean a super hero), changes our opinions about those drug enjoyment myth..
of course it's easier to believe this story considering his profession and fame in R&R world..yet there's a complicated human with more insight,behind those images,which we can't analyse so quickly.It seems,his health issues kept secret enough to cause everyone to have their own thesis.. I know some fans would name me for my disbelief in his drug enjoyment but,not in a million years I'd blame him for what he was unhappy of..

cameron
06-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Cameron, that would be most appreciated; however, "It was brought to others attention, but no one appreared to care . IMO, we do a great disservice to anyone, if we don't look at the beginning of ones life before jumping to the end !" doesn't support your previous statement of "ways he was used and taken advantage of?"
IMO, one needs to cover all his life to see what made him the way he was!

Sorry, if you didn't "get it" . The baby, child and man cannot be seperated, IMO if you want to know someone else.

There were many people that "took advantage of Elvis."
It certainly isn't hidden as well as it used to be.

Now, my appointment is here !

ehollier
06-20-2008, 07:32 PM
IMO, one needs to cover all his life to see what made him the way he was!

Sorry, if you didn't "get it" . The baby, child and man cannot be seperated, IMO if you want to know someone else.

There were many people that "took advantage of Elvis."
It certainly isn't hidden as well as it used to be.

Now, my appointment is here !

Yes, you are correct Cameron in that one needs to cover all his life to see what made him the way he was. In response to that, for all of his wonderful things that he did and the empathy that we allow him, he had a pattern that he followed and repeated during life which shows that, more often that not, he choose to 'stick his head in the sand', so to speak or not handle his business in a manner that would have been beneficial to his career or truly in his best interest.

Examples would include his mother's death and the way he choose to handle it, his father's remarriage, his music career during the 60's, his movie career, his return to performing and subsequent lack of more artistic challenges, his recording career during the 70's, his relationships with each of the MM and the constant infighting, his relationship with Col. Parker, his mentality regarding his wife and other significant female relationships which all contributed to the steady and constant increase in his drug use.

Each one of these examples is stressful. No doubt he had stress, he was somewhat insecure, was, by nature, very hesitate to trust strangers (and rightfully so in some cases) and seemed to have something happening around himself at all times; however, I don't see how he ever truly handled a problem. Escape was his way out either by using drugs, women, spending money, or taking it out on those in the MM.

cameron
06-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes, you are correct Cameron in that one needs to cover all his life to see what made him the way he was. In response to that, for all of his wonderful things that he did and the empathy that we allow him, he had a pattern that he followed and repeated during life which shows that, more often that not, he choose to 'stick his head in the sand', so to speak or not handle his business in a manner that would have been beneficial to his career or truly in his best interest.

Examples would include his mother's death and the way he choose to handle it, his father's remarriage, his music career during the 60's, his movie career, his return to performing and subsequent lack of more artistic challenges, his recording career during the 70's, his relationships with each of the MM and the constant infighting, his relationship with Col. Parker, his mentality regarding his wife and other significant female relationships which all contributed to the steady and constant increase in his drug use.

Each one of these examples is stressful. No doubt he had stress, he was somewhat insecure, was, by nature, very hesitate to trust strangers (and rightfully so in some cases) and seemed to have something happening around himself at all times; however, I don't see how he ever truly handled a problem. Escape was his way out either by using drugs, women, spending money, or taking it out on those in the MM.

This is a repeat of what you said before ! :doh: :lol:
Goodness, you don't look at the child , you judge his actions after .

I was curious to see if anyone rushed forward to point you toward people talking advantage of Elvis. You might start with Dr Nick, most all of the MM , Parker, his ex-wife , his girlfriends etc. etc. Just about everyone ! Yes, Elvis was a push -over ! I'll be back later . ;)

jak
06-20-2008, 08:27 PM

This is the cop out.What does his being taken advantage of have to do with his painkillers?He needed them to ease mental stress?Elvis was on serious stuff as weve stated.Im just waiting for someone to tell me the justification for painkillers as powerfull as he took.There is none so I wont hold my breath.

Merry
06-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Do we have to keep going on and on about the same thing/s?

People get hurt.

We love Elvis, please, can't we just leave it at that!

cameron
06-20-2008, 08:34 PM
This is the cop out.What does his being taken advantage of have to do with his painkillers?He needed them to ease mental stress?Elvis was on serious stuff as weve stated.Im just waiting for someone to tell me the justification for painkillers as powerfull as he took.There is none so I wont hold my breath.

You DO have an obsession about drugs, don't you ?
I worry about you ! :lol:

ehollier
06-20-2008, 08:44 PM

I was curious to see if anyone rushed forward to point you toward people talking advantage of Elvis. You might start with Dr Nick, most all of the MM , Parker, his ex-wife , his girlfriends etc. etc. Just about everyone ! Yes, Elvis was a push -over ! I'll be back later . ;)

I realize that this was something that I posted elsewhere; however, it doesn't change the fact that Elvis' history, as it is documented, shows his repeated and successful attempts at doing what was in his best interest, personally and professionally.

Yes, his childhood was curious, beset with poverty, lonliness and an usually close relationship with this mother. I don't doubt that his parents did the best job as parents they could raising Elvis, and the loss of his mother was devastating and would have to rank as one of the life-changing events of his life. But none of this changes the fact that he avoided handling even the most insignificant problem in his life.

cameron
06-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I realize that this was something that I posted elsewhere; however, it doesn't change the fact that Elvis' history, as it is documented, shows his repeated and successful attempts at doing what was in his best interest, personally and professionally.

Yes, his childhood was curious, beset with poverty, lonliness and an usually close relationship with this mother. I don't doubt that his parents did the best job as parents they could raising Elvis, and the loss of his mother was devastating and would have to rank as one of the life-changing events of his life. But none of this changes the fact that he avoided handling even the most insignificant problem in his life.
There's not much point in going on as your mind is already made up.
Looking at Elvis through the years was an eye opener for me.
Some see it, some don't or won't ! I'm glad I took the time to sort it all out .
Maybe some day, more will !

cameron
06-20-2008, 08:59 PM
I've found that the ones most interested in the "drugs" are the ones that want no part of the history of Elvis told.
It must be all his fault as everyone else is innocent and were "just trying to to help him !' What a crock !!

KPM
06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
High blood pressure, which goes up under stress and tension (and which Dr. Nick says Elvis had for years) caused the veins in your body to constrict and the force of the blood pumped can put intense pressure on the veins. Thats why people have strokes etc....
The tiny veins in your nose are easily ruptured which can cause the nose bleeds.
I saw a man in a store I worked in suddenly rush to the water fountain and his nose was gushing blood everywhere. I got him some towels and asked what I could do-he said "my wife is over there somewhere her name is Betty in a brown coat tell her I'm bleeding again"
I found her and she told me "Hes having a terrible time with his blood pressure and this is the 3rd time in this last month this has happened"
That was 30 years ago, I was skeptical but now 30 years older I have a couple times got nose bleeds due to my blood pressure which has been a problem all my life. Nervous tense people-are high risk for this kind of thing thats me I guess.

KPM
06-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I have never seen any evidence that Elvis had any serious medical conditions that would explain what happened.I think people are always looking for that smoking gun and it still hasnt been found after 30 years.His biggest health problem was his drug abuse and terrible lifestyle.This explains why his behaviour changed so much.It also explains why he lost his looks.The changes in Elvis the last few years were brought on by drugs.He went downhill at an alarming rate becuase of the increased drug intake.I just dont think there is any mystery.People on MB's can speculate all day long.People that never knew Elvis therefore dont have any special insight.It's all conjecture.Those around Elvis ,those who truly knew and loved him,would have filled in the blanks by know.They would want the truth known by all.The truth is none of them have ever contradicted the reason's for his demise.They have only reinforced them over the years because it's the truth.
Well my friend I see it that "none of them were doctors" none of them ever ran a medical test on him, none of them were examined with him, none of them were chemists or interns who had an inkling of what ailments he did or did not have-so IMO they could only guess also on the true medical condition of another person. ( sometimes doctors called in to help nail down a problem can not agree) I know they were around him and super close but there are some things they could not know and understand unless they were physicians I'm sure. Did Elvis abuse drugs-yes.
What did he truely need-I can not say. How severe was any pain he had from the conditions Dr. Nick says he was treating Elvis for arthritic neck and spine, sever congenital colon problem, ulcer, to name a few I have read I can not say. I do not know. How maddening it was to constantly have insomnia since a child for him I can not say-I just have no inkling-except by my experiences in my life, just as you go by yours.
I know the heavy drugs used are always suppose to be "reserved for cancer patients" but I don't know how many times I have posted from medical sites that that is not absolutly true. "Moderate to severe pain" is treated with both Dilaudid and Demerol for a variety of pain causes not just for severe cancer pain. That said- I am not saying anything Elvis had warranted such medications, nor that they were not addictive-but I am saying that no one else can know the extent of someone elses pain. If someone here has that ability they are missing their calling. No matter if you live with them 24/7.
I know you disagree and I would never try to anger you-but those are my heartfelt thoughts on this subject my friend.

ehollier
06-20-2008, 11:02 PM

I was polite in asking you to please explain what this means. Your answers are as follows:

I was curious to see if anyone rushed forward to point you toward people talking advantage of Elvis. You might start with Dr Nick, most all of the MM , Parker, his ex-wife , his girlfriends etc. etc. Just about everyone ! Yes, Elvis was a push -over

There's not much point in going on as your mind is already made up.
Looking at Elvis through the years was an eye opener for me.
Some see it, some don't or won't ! I'm glad I took the time to sort it all out .
Maybe some day, more will !

Cameron, I'm not trying to pick on you. I was only trying to understand your point of view, and when respectfully asked to explain yourself, all you can write in post after post is, only meaningless rhetoric accusing of being narrow-minded and saying that my mind is already made up but you took time to sort it all out.

cameron
06-21-2008, 01:33 AM
THIS IS ONLY A SMALL PART . IF I GET TIME, I"LL ADD MORE !
These stories are in books, but I figured you'd want "immedate proof."

http://www.elvisandyou.com/second_level/charityessay.html

Perhaps the major beneficiaries of Elvis largesse were the friends and family with whom he shared his life. Elvis' infamous entourage, the Memphis Mafia, received lavish gifts of cars, jewelry, houses, vacations, cash bonuses, weddings, and even surgery. Elvis paid for a nose job for George Klein, an intestinal bypass for Lamar Fike, a kidney transplant for his friend and producer Felton Jarvis, even a breast augmentation operation for one of the Mafia wives (upon her husband's request).

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/index76.html
On July 13th Vernon fired Dave Hebler, Sonny and Red West. They were fired because of the trouble they had caused for Elvis. Several times they had been rough on people, and this caused lawsuits against Elvis.

PRESLEY CENTER COURTS

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/auction_banners.html

In 1976 Elvis Presley entered in to his sole business venture and investment – The Presley Center Courts Racquet Ball Club in Memphis Tennessee. Land was purchased in Memphis with plans to open also in Nashville and across the USA, a very important ‘out of music’ investment.

The Bank of Commerce in Memphis appears to have placed a first charge on Graceland to secure construction financing. As Elvis’s close friends, known as the ‘Memphis Mafia’, arranged for their contractor, designers and experts in the field of tennis and racquet ball courts, construction bit into some one million dollars plus – before even braking ground! Both Elvis and Col. Parker became alarmed, far away in Bel Aire, California.

Upon Elvis giving his blessing to this project private investors started buying in. Some of Elvis’s cousins and close friends mortgaged their homes to become involved.
As time went by costs are believed to have passed four million dollars and Elvis was in fear of losing his beloved Graceland until he paid back the bank.Within just seven days the truth was out. Calhoun and Parker pulled out their investment, while Elvis was obligated to repay the Bank of Commerce over one and a half million dollars.
Bad feeling were escalated and Elvis would close ranks to just the chosen few in his “Memphis Mafia” circle.

cameron
06-21-2008, 03:56 AM
I Do have a few things to do not connected to Elvis. ;)
As I run onto more; I'll post them.

This page is from T&C's book. The Death of Elvis.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/zorahday/nickloans.jpg

http://www.colonelparker.com/review12.htm

Mired in money troubles in '77

Yet, when Elvis left the building on August 16, 1977, he was mired in financial quagmires, and sometimes resorted to mortgaging Graceland to make his payroll. Colonel Tom Parker, Presley's manager, advanced the estate $1 million to make it look as if Elvis had some cash in his depleted checking account. In truth, the singer's years of gargantuan spending sprees had left him strapped, as had his 1973 divorce from his wife, Priscilla. But Presley's biggest financial liability was Parker himself, who systematically siphoned off far more than the usual 15 to 25 percent of his client's earnings. By the late '60s, Parker had forced Presley into a contracted 50/50 split. But through double dipping, the Colonel got his 50 percent and all but about 22 percent of Elvis' half, too.
Parker had always figured out a way to make more money than his client, whether through song publishing, souvenirs, or side deals with Presley's record company and movie studios. Then, when he formed Boxcar, a merchandising company, with Presley in the early '70s, he took 56 percent control, apart from his 50 percent commission. Some estimates have concluded that the Colonel wound up with nearly 78 percent of Elvis' name and likeness -- a highly valuable commodity, considering Presley's obviously failing health.
No wonder Mike Stoller, the co-writer of many Presley hits, says, "The Colonel's only interest was the Colonel's. Elvis was merely a vehicle for the Colonel's greed."

jak
06-21-2008, 05:27 AM

Elvis was the one obsessed by drugs not me.No need to worry about me.I havent even tried pot yet;)

jak
06-21-2008, 05:29 AM
I've found that the ones most interested in the "drugs" are the ones that want no part of the history of Elvis told.
It must be all his fault as everyone else is innocent and were "just trying to to help him !' What a crock !!

Youre comment is without any merit at all.I realize you like to ignore the drug issue.However it became the most prevelant issue in his life.It's hard to leave that out of Elvis' story.

jak
06-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Well my friend I see it that "none of them were doctors" none of them ever ran a medical test on him, none of them were examined with him, none of them were chemists or interns who had an inkling of what ailments he did or did not have-so IMO they could only guess also on the true medical condition of another person. ( sometimes doctors called in to help nail down a problem can not agree) I know they were around him and super close but there are some things they could not know and understand unless they were physicians I'm sure. Did Elvis abuse drugs-yes.
What did he truely need-I can not say. How severe was any pain he had from the conditions Dr. Nick says he was treating Elvis for arthritic neck and spine, sever congenital colon problem, ulcer, to name a few I have read I can not say. I do not know. How maddening it was to constantly have insomnia since a child for him I can not say-I just have no inkling-except by my experiences in my life, just as you go by yours.
I know the heavy drugs used are always suppose to be "reserved for cancer patients" but I don't know how many times I have posted from medical sites that that is not absolutly true. "Moderate to severe pain" is treated with both Dilaudid and Demerol for a variety of pain causes not just for severe cancer pain. That said- I am not saying anything Elvis had warranted such medications, nor that they were not addictive-but I am saying that no one else can know the extent of someone elses pain. If someone here has that ability they are missing their calling. No matter if you live with them 24/7.
I know you disagree and I would never try to anger you-but those are my heartfelt thoughts on this subject my friend.

Ken
Those around Elvis would have had far greater insight to his problems that we do.They would have known if Elvis had serious issues.Im going to have a hard time expressing this next comment.To me Elvis was like a child.He was somewhat of a big baby if you will.I think if he had serious legitamate health issues that warranted those drugs he would have let everyone know.He wasnt the type to suck it up and go it alone.I always maintain that Elvis got hooke don drugs just because his recreational use spiraled out of control.It's just that simple.

cameron
06-21-2008, 05:39 AM
COMBINED DRUG INTOXICATION

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_Drug_Intake

cameron
06-21-2008, 05:42 AM
http://www.time.com/time/community/t...ttr081198.html

mjon_79 asks: Mr. Chadwick, Elvis Presley's death was and still is somewhat of a mystery. We the public have been told many different and sometimes controversial stories. Exactly how did he die and under what circumstances?

Vernon Chadwick: That's a very good question, and we do not have all the information for a definitive answer. The technical answer is that Elvis died of not only cardiac arrhythmia but also from the mixing of incompatible drugs. Obviously, Elvis was a very ill man in the last years of his life. And we are now in the position to know that Elvis' heart disease, enlarged colon and other ailments were in part due to chronic substance abuse over several years, probably most of the 1970s. But our conference is unique in that we are exploring the larger psychological issues surrounding Elvis' death., and finally breaking out of the simplistic explanation of drug addiction and looking at the larger picture of Elvis' mental health throughout his life,

utmom2008
06-21-2008, 06:57 AM
I do not deny Elvis abused prescription drugs . I only deny he set out to "enjoy them!" There are factors that have come out over the years no one was aware of at the time ! Nor will some admit it now !

As much as I would like to think that Elvis didn't enjoy his drugs, I can't say that. And it's also possible to need and enjoy a drug at the very same time. When I think back on the Palm Springs incident(was that 09/73?) where he and the young girl drank Hycodan from the bottle...to the point that she overdosed, I have to know that it was done for pleasure. From the bottle?????? I have never gone to anyone's house and had the host ask me if I would prefer beer, wine, scotch OR cough syrup. That was clearly recreational..:blush::blush::sad::blink:

Unchained Melody
06-21-2008, 07:23 AM

He needed them for mental stress...and it numbed him and he love it because he hated dealing with issues as we can tell from his life and the drugs as ive said before were his escape.

Unchained Melody
06-21-2008, 07:26 AM

That was uncalled for Cameron.

The fact is Jak much of the stuff Elvis took was for his own pleasurel. The man had a PDR that was updated EVERY SINGLE MONTH. If that isn't someone who is obsessed with drugs then I don't know what is.

Unchained Melody
06-21-2008, 07:28 AM
As much as I would like to think that Elvis didn't enjoy his drugs, I can't say that. And it's also possible to need and enjoy a drug at the very same time. When I think back on the Palm Springs incident(was that 09/73?) where he and the young girl drank Hycodan from the bottle...to the point that she overdosed, I have to know that it was done for pleasure. From the bottle?????? I have never gone to anyone's house and had the host ask me if I would prefer beer, wine, scotch OR cough syrup. That was clearly recreational..:blush::blush::sad::blink:

And did you know Elvis was going to make poor ol Charlie Hodge claim that girl as his date that night so Elvis wouldn't get in trouble had she died.. Yes folks.....

cameron
06-21-2008, 12:22 PM

The fact is Jak much of the stuff Elvis took was for his own pleasurel. The man had a PDR that was updated EVERY SINGLE MONTH. If that isn't someone who is obsessed with drugs then I don't know what is.
Whatever you think, Brad. jak seems able to take care of himself. ;)

So glad you're an"Elvis fan". Otherwise, I'd hate to see what you think of him
.BTW: I have a PDR and have had one for years .{they're only updated yearly :P }

cameron
06-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by utmom2008
As much as I would like to think that Elvis didn't enjoy his drugs, I can't say that. And it's also possible to need and enjoy a drug at the very same time. When I think back on the Palm Springs incident(was that 09/73?) where he and the young girl drank Hycodan from the bottle...to the point that she overdosed, I have to know that it was done for pleasure. From the bottle?????? I have never gone to anyone's house and had the host ask me if I would prefer beer, wine, scotch OR cough syrup. That was clearly recreational..

And did you know Elvis was going to make poor ol Charlie Hodge claim that girl as his date that night so Elvis wouldn't get in trouble had she died.. Yes folks.....

Yep, that story IS in a few books.Who wrote them?

Unchained Melody
06-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Quote:

Yep, that story IS in a few books.Who wrote them?

Pretty sure I read it in Down At The End Of Lonely Street; The Life And Death Of Elvis Presley written by Peter Brown and Pat Broeske.

Unchained Melody
06-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Whatever you think, Brad. jak seems able to take care of himself. ;)

So glad you're an"Elvis fan". Otherwise, I'd hate to see what you think of him

I can just look at the man without rose colored glasses (how many times have we heard that expression :blink:) and accept the faults he had etc....(y)

cameron
06-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I can just look at the man without rose colored glasses (how many times have we heard that expression :blink:) and accept the faults he had etc....(y)
How many times have we decided to "drop that crap"? :hmm:

Unchained Melody
06-21-2008, 12:53 PM
How many times have we decided to "drop that crap"? :hmm:

Til it starts to sink in ;)

cameron
06-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Til it starts to sink in ;)

If only---people would get on Elvis sites to talk about Elvis, instead of each other ! ;)

ehollier
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Actually, I think the Hycodan happened at the end of Lake Tahoe engagement in 1971, which is very scary b/c if that date is correct, it would prove a very frightening pattern earlier than 1973, when it happened more than once.

presley31
06-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Actually, I think the Hycodan happened at the end of Lake Tahoe engagement in 1971, which is very scary b/c if that date is correct, it would prove a very frightening pattern earlier than 1973, when it happened more than once.

Yep l saw that last night while l was reading revelations from the mm

ehollier
06-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Cameron, you have given some very good examples of those around Elvis taking advantage of him, which I believe no one here would argue. The example of the racquetball fiasco is just one, of many examples. Another great example is the money he loaned to Dr. Nick. You are correct. There were some close to him that did take advantage of him. No doubt about it.

I think it would be safe in saying; however, that when it came to obtaining prescription drugs, Elvis had more than one doctor who was willing to accomodate him. There is concrete evidence of this. There is also evidence of Elvis taking crazy trips from Memphis to Palm Springs or Vegas to get prescriptions b/c he couldn't get them from Dr. Nick. There is also evidence of those demerol injections that he was getting on a pretty routine basis in 1973-74 that led to his hospital stay in Oct. 1974, where he was treated with methodone because of his addiction. This is substanciated by, not only his doctors in attendence, but also bills from those doctors and hospital records and also American Express bills for his flights cross-country.

I think it would be safe to say that if Elvis had the means and desire to fly across the country to obtain prescription drugs or demerol shots, there is not doubt that he had a problem. There is also some evidence of him recieving drugs at the Memphis airport from mysterious people who would be crazy enough to send drugs by plane. Even if this last statement is pure fiction, the fact that Elvis had a serious drug habit is quite evident.

To this end, I am trying to fit all of this regarding the drug abuse to your following quote from yesterday:

How does it fit into the equation of drug abuse? Was he not told by Gladys to avoid drugs? Were drugs a part of his younger life (doubtful since they were so poor.)? What do "beginnings" or looking at the "child" have to do with a 40 year old man taking enough drugs to overdose on more than one occasion? I am not trying to doubt your sincerity as a fan. When you make general and broad-based statements as you did yesterday afternoon, I am interested in how you come to your conclusions.

presley31
06-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I was reading that elvis used to take his mother amphetamines( Dexedrine and Desbutals) and anita's tanning pills so l believe he was already enjoying what pills could do to you. Elvis used to take take them without her knowing.

ehollier
06-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I was reading that elvis used to take his mother amphetamines pills and anita's tanning pills so l believe he was already enjoying what pills could do to you. Elvis used to take take them without her knowing.

I've read this also; however, I think that the general consensus is that the evidence of this is not very concrete.

presley31
06-21-2008, 03:16 PM
I've read this also; however, I think that the general consensus is that the evidence of this is not very concrete.

Don't know but it was billy and lamer words, but billy does state that elvis biggest introduction to pills was the army.

cameron
06-21-2008, 03:36 PM
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorange]
I think it would be safe in saying; however, that when it came to obtaining prescription drugs, Elvis had more than one doctor who was willing to accomodate him. There is concrete evidence of this. This is substanciated by, not only his doctors in attendence, but also bills from those doctors and hospital records and also American Express bills for his flights cross-country.

How does it fit into the equation of drug abuse? Was he not told by Gladys to avoid drugs? Were drugs a part of his younger life (doubtful since they were so poor.)? What do "beginnings" or looking at the "child" have to do with a 40 year old man taking enough drugs to overdose on more than one occasion? I am not trying to doubt your sincerity as a fan. When you make general and broad-based statements as you did yesterday afternoon, I am interested in how you come to your conclusions.
Really? His American Express card , doctor bills and hospital records ?
Amazing ! Perhaps you'd not mind showing copies of each?

As for Elvis' young life. IF you're not interested; I guess you will never know.
I've made my decisions. It's up to everyone to look for themselves IMO.
I don't see any " general or broad statements " except by a few others.
Think what you like. ;)

TotallyInsane
06-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I get so sick and tired of reading about the blessed drug use! Elvis Elvis Elvis used drugs while everyone else just sat around straight watching it all go down! Why doesn't anyone ever talk about the drugs that the MM took?????? There was one part I remember reading maybe in EWH - they would give him pills to knock him out so they could get back to the party with the girls! Anyone remember that????? Just not sure why if you're gonna tell a story you don't tell the WHOLE STORY!!!! Sorry - just had enough of the drug crap again and had to vent!

ehollier
06-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Really? His American Express card , doctor bills and hospital records ?
Amazing ! Perhaps you'd not mind showing copies of each?

As for Elvis' young life. IF you're not interested; I guess you will never know.
I've made my decisions. It's up to everyone to look for themselves IMO.
I don't see any " general or broad statements " except by a few others.
Think what you like. ;)

Cameron, when Peter Guarlnick wrote his 2-volume biography of Elvis, he was extremely meticulous in listing his sources and evidence to back up any claims such as the ones you have called into question. In his second volume, Careless Love, he is quite specific on his sources of these trips cross-country and drs. receipts for dates and drugs that were obtained.

Insofar as Elvis' young life, again, I point you to Guarlnick's first volume of his biography. I have read it several times and am quite stumped about your post above; however, I do not understand your comments regarding the following quote:

we do a great disservice to anyone, if we don't look at the beginning of ones life before jumping to the end ! I'm busy today, but I'll try to find some of the "beginnings."

so I am not sure what these "beginnings" (your term) have to do with his drug abuse in his adult years. Please do not accuse me of not being interested b/c if I had no interest in this, as if this were the case, I wouldn't be so adamant about getting you to explain yourself!! As far as your board-based comments, with the exception of your posts last evening where you provide us with information to back up your beliefs, are the only posts you have made on this thread that weren't broad-based. That is not an opinion, but a fact. If you can't explain yourself regarding the posted quotes without some silly answer, refrain from giving answers such as these b/c all they do is clutter up the board.

cameron
06-21-2008, 04:07 PM
I get so sick and tired of reading about the blessed drug use! Elvis Elvis Elvis used drugs while everyone else just sat around straight watching it all go down! Why doesn't anyone ever talk about the drugs that the MM took?????? There was one part I remember reading maybe in EWH - they would give him pills to knock him out so they could get back to the party with the girls! Anyone remember that????? Just not sure why if you're gonna tell a story you don't tell the WHOLE STORY!!!! Sorry - just had enough of the drug crap again and had to vent!

I don't mind occasionally.
It just seems this has seeped into every thread lately !!
It's been acknowledged . NOW, WHAT ELSE DID ELVIS DO??
Surely, this wasn't what drew everyone to Elvis and caused a whole generation to love him !

I DO remember reading that Gail. Where the "guys" slipped him pills so he'd go to sleep and they could party . And, yes . I can't help but wonder how their memories are so sharp, as by their own admission--they were doing the same !

cameron
06-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I think it would be safe in saying; however, that when it came to obtaining prescription drugs, Elvis had more than one doctor who was willing to accomodate him. There is concrete evidence of this. This is substanciated by, not only his doctors in attendence, but also bills from those doctors and hospital records and also American Express bills for his flights cross-country.
Again !! Please show YOUR PROOF !
And I DO read other things besides Peter Guarlnick !
More important IMO, I talk to the people that were around .
Not the MM.

ehollier
06-21-2008, 04:14 PM

I apologize for going on for so long about it. I don't think when the discussion began, it would just go on and on. Its very frustrating to have a discussion about this and it not touch off a few nerves.

ehollier
06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
[/b]
Again !! Please show YOUR PROOF !
And I DO read other things besides Peter Guarlnick !

Again, if you read his work, for every claim, there is evidence to back it up and the source of that evidence. Much of his evidence comes from the files of EPE, itself. I have not read any other book that lists these sources. Peter didn't take claims from other books without substantiating his statements.

Diane
06-21-2008, 04:23 PM
I remember that too Gail and I too wonder why the MM get off so clean in these threads. Why aren't all their little fiascoes aired as well as Elvis'.

Diane

cameron
06-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Again, if you read his work, for every claim, there is evidence to back it up and the source of that evidence. Much of his evidence comes from the files of EPE, itself. I have not read any other book that lists these sources. Peter didn't take claims from other books without substantiating his statements.
The documents, please .:) I've read his books.

presley31
06-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I remember that too Gail and I too wonder why the MM get off so clean in these threads. Why aren't all their little fiascoes aired as well as Elvis'.

Diane

for the simple reason some don't like the say the mm did anything wrong and elvis was to blame for everything. maybe we all should ask the mm how stoned they were while living with elvis:hmm:

TotallyInsane
06-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Rosanne and I have been talking this morning. We have been reading books, magazines, fan club newsletters, etc. for 37 years by starting with "Elvis" by Jerry Hopkins!! It is sometimes hard to remember whether it was 72, 73 or if it was February or March. It's amusing how some people get so bent out of shape over an exact date!!
However, I do need an exact date for when Priscilla and Elvis redecorated Graceland!!!! Anyone know this information?

cameron
06-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Rosanne and I have been talking this morning. We have been reading books, magazines, fan club newsletters, etc. for 37 years by starting with "Elvis" by Jerry Hopkins!! It is sometimes hard to remember whether it was 72, 73 or if it was February or March. It's amusing how some people get so bent out of shape over an exact date!!
However, I do need an exact date for when Priscilla and Elvis redecorated Graceland!!!! Anyone know this information?
[B]FROM LARRY KING INTERVIEW [/B

]KING: Did you have anything to do with all of his building and everything?

P. PRESLEY: No, not here. Not here at all. This was actually exactly the way it was when I arrived at Graceland. And there was a woman named Helen Cooper, who was a decorator that his mother really liked. And this is what they chose and this is what Elvis felt really comfortable in.

KING: Now, as I understand, he redecorated it several times.

P. PRESLEY: Well, he didn't redecorate this area that much. It was more downstairs that he decorated. And he did do a little bit, after I left, actually, he redid it into a red color. He did not like it that much at all, so that's why we went and put it back to the original, the way he always loved it and the way he lived with it when he was (INAUDIBLE).

TotallyInsane
06-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks Cameron. I know the red was done in 1974 and the pool room was done in 74. I'm wondering when the peacocks were put in?

jak
06-21-2008, 05:55 PM

Diane

It's just because nobody cares Diane.Nobody expects anything from them or has any preconceived image.Elvis is a totally different ballgame.His image is so different from the reality.Elvis was the idol not them.That's why Elvis' behaviour is so shocking.He was seen as Mr Perfect for so many years.His image was closely guarded and nobody cultivated that image more than Elvis himself.That's why people are so fascinated by his private life.

utmom2008
06-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Google will show it as September of 73. "Down at the End of Lonely Street" shows it as "shortly before the divorce became final", which of course was October 0f 73.

Diane
06-21-2008, 06:32 PM
I understand that Jak and I don't dispute a lot of what the MM said about Elvis but I keep being left feeling that it's all one-sided. The pot calling the kettle black and all that. I also feel that had it been one of the MM in Elvis' place and Elvis just a bodyguard that he wouldn't have gone public with all the dirt on his employer. I'm sure he would have said things to a group of friends or family as we all do, but I still feel they went way beyond what they should have while claiming to love him.

Diane

utmom2008
06-21-2008, 06:33 PM
I was reading that elvis used to take anita's tanning pills so l believe he was already enjoying what pills could do to you. Elvis used to take take them without her knowing.

Tanning pills were around back then?:hmm:

cameron
06-21-2008, 06:46 PM

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/elnews163.htm

Graceland Living Room

The 15-foot custom built sofa in Graceland's living room was originally blue metallic and cost $1,375 in 1957. Elvis would later have it recovered in white. The stained glass peacock panels between the living room and music room, the stained glass windows around the mansion front door and the stained glass fixtures over the pool table in the basement were added to Graceland in October 1974. The work was done for Elvis by Laukhuff Stained Glass Company of Memphis for a cost of $9,345.

Stained glass peacock windows styled after those found at Graceland are available at Shop Elvis.

TotallyInsane
06-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks Cameron! OK - can you find anything on Graceland being redecorated around 1971????

KPM
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Ken
Those around Elvis would have had far greater insight to his problems that we do.They would have known if Elvis had serious issues.Im going to have a hard time expressing this next comment.To me Elvis was like a child.He was somewhat of a big baby if you will.I think if he had serious legitamate health issues that warranted those drugs he would have let everyone know.He wasnt the type to suck it up and go it alone.I always maintain that Elvis got hooke don drugs just because his recreational use spiraled out of control.It's just that simple.
I see what you are saying, but from my own life I know I have been less than honest with my family and close friends about health issues. Some health issues are embarrassing to discuss, with most people I do not want to appear "weak or unmanly" I have divertriculitis-its not something I tell people about because it is embarrassing, but it can be painful and send you to bed (or the hospital) my kids & brothers do not even know that I have it. I have high blood pressure and have had since I was 17-so I can not hide that. My heart skips beats-and its from stress- had tests in 1981 and after all was said and done they said I needed to learn to take life in stride-gave me medicines to help (which I now try to take only as a last resort) I grew up hard, and it has taken a toll on me I'm a nervous, tense type who is pretty much waiting for the other shoe to drop 50% of the time. Don't sleep well. But most people would tell you I'm easy going and mellow-I don't want them to know I worry about a little of everything- I can not help it its in my genes and my early life.(my Grandma use to tell me she worried about things which might not happen for 10 years God rest her soul) But I don't want those who see me day in and out to think-I am...............unusual or odd. I don't want them to say "poor guy" because guys are suppose to be strong, firm, decisive.
So from my perspective I can see how somethings may have not been known by the guys around ELvis. To admit you have health issues(mental or physical) is to admit weakness. No man wants anyone to think they are weak
or less than a man. That is where I come from in my thoughts. I am not suppose to be the man, "ELVIS" was, I have nothing to live up to, yet I can not even at 53 admit to those close around me things which I am afraid they will perceive as weak.
In a way this board allows me to come clean-without facing each person- in person. It is theraputic I think. Thank you all.

KPM
06-21-2008, 08:05 PM

I still maintain he thought there was a drug or treatment for any ill. Most of the MM have said as much. The PDR is a manual of legal prescription drugs-doctors, hospitals, nurses and even patients use(my mom use to get one once a year) to understand what drugs will help what ailments and to describe the benefits and hazards of each drug. Now today in 2008 we see commercials daily which proclaim the benefits of the new miracle drugs which will help control nearly anything you can name. Each one also gives you a rundown of the side effects and hazards. Back in the 40s and 50s the hazards or side problems were rarely discussed or stressed. You were led to believe that "prescription drugs were our friends" the age of miracle cures and medicines had begun. Different times, differing views of what is good for you and what is bad. Speed was the main ingredient in diet pills it wasn't until the mid 60s that doctors began to be a little more discriminating it giving them our like candy. Can't sleep a doctor would say "I have just the thing for you" (Still do)
It is easy for me to see how you can believe if it comes from a physician-if it is in the PDR-it is for your benefit and use for what ever ailment you think you have. (or you actually do have) If you are sad, if you are bored, if you are uneasy, depressed anxious, nervous and don't know why-naturally you want it to stop-" So Hey there must be something for that" Doctors hand this stuff out at the drop of the hat. So If you are one who does think "a pill for every ill" it is easy to get and just as easy to believe its Okay. IMO

TotallyInsane
06-21-2008, 08:06 PM
I see what you are saying, but from my own life I know I have been less than honest with my family and close friends about health issues. Some health issues are embarrassing to discuss, with most people I do not want to appear "weak or unmanly" I have divertriculitis-its not something I tell people about because it is embarrassing, but it can be painful and send you to bed (or the hospital) my kids & brothers do not even know that I have it. I have high blood pressure and have had since I was 17-so I can not hide that. My heart skips beats-and its from stress- had tests in 1981 and after all was said and done they said I needed to learn to take life in stride-gave me medicines to help (which I now try to take only as a last resort) I grew up hard, and it has taken a toll on me I'm a nervous, tense type who is pretty much waiting for the other shoe to drop 50% of the time. Don't sleep well. But most people would tell you I'm easy going and mellow-I don't want them to know I worry about a little of everything- I can not help it its in my genes and my early life.(my Grandma use to tell me she worried about things which might not happen for 10 years God rest her soul) But I don't want those who see me day in and out to think-I am...............unusual or odd. I don't want them to say "poor guy" because guys are suppose to be strong, firm, decisive.
So from my perspective I can see how somethings may have not been known by the guys around ELvis. To admit you have health issues(mental or physical) is to admit weakness. No man wants anyone to think they are weak
or less than a man. That is where I come from in my thoughts. I am not suppose to be the man, "ELVIS" was, I have nothing to live up to, yet I can not even at 53 admit to those close around me things which I am afraid they will perceive as weak.
In a way this board allows me to come clean-without facing each person- in person. It is theraputic I think. Thank you all.

I can so understand your post here!! My husband is about to turn 50 and back in 2004 he was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. This is not JUST arthritis - it is a life changing disease and can be crippling!! If you want the truth about the way it affects your body, the medicines, the pain - JUST ASK ME!! If you want the other version just ask my hubby! He too, has a hard problem admitting there's physical limitations now and even thought he few months ago he could just get off all his medicine cause he could control it with his "thinking"!! Well, if you could have seen him having trouble getting out a chair, walking, putting on his shoes - you would see just how it really affects you. Like you, his brother and sister have no idea what kind of shape he's really in. And, yes, he would probably choke me with a wire coat hanger if he knew I was putting all this out here.
I had read in an interview with Dr. Nick several years back that looking back on Elvis now he thinks he probably had rheumatoid arthritis. Sounded reasonable to me cause it causes a lot of the same physical issues he was dealing with. There are some who would just like to think it was just the drugs but maybe there really was a reason why he turned to the drugs. I surely don't know the answer to that but wish I did! I do know how the bad the pain is after watching my hubby with it though.

Diane
06-21-2008, 08:06 PM
You are more than welcome Ken. A lot of us do the same and it is a good outlet here. I myself like people who show they are human and sometimes vulnerable.

I have a tendency to open myself too wide and have been stabbed again and again but you know what? It hurts less every year because I've come to realize that it's the stabber who is lowdown not the petty human failings I have.

Diane

Merry
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
I get so sick and tired of reading about the blessed drug use! -snip- Sorry - just had enough of the drug crap again and had to vent!

I have, too.

It's the same thing over and over and over and over!

TotallyInsane
06-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I have, too.

It's the same thing over and over and over and over!

Let's just go to YouTube and watch "Have A Happy"...............:lmfao::lmfao:

cameron
06-21-2008, 08:29 PM
---To admit you have health issues(mental or physical) is to admit weakness. No man wants anyone to think they are weak
or less than a man. That is where I come from in my thoughts. I am not suppose to be the man, "ELVIS" was, I have nothing to live up to, yet I can not even at 53 admit to those close around me things which I am afraid they will perceive as weak.In a way this board allows me to come clean-without facing each person- in person. It is theraputic I think. Thank you all.
I agree, Ken. Men were raised to think they must "handle" whatever life thows at them, or be considered "weak." There are some on here that appear to believe the same way. ;)
We all handle things differently. You are a much calmer, more sane person than I am. :P I just get mad while you explain things . That causes me to have a headache ,so I wish I could be more like you !
Thank you for putting into better words what I never can ! (y)

presley31
06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Tanning pills were around back then?:hmm:

Didn't know myself, but that information came from revelations from the memphis mafia book and they said anita started elvis on them:blink:

Merry
06-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Good morning! (Well, the sun hasn't come up yet, lol, and no roosters crowing yet, hehe).

LOL, coincidentally, I've actually been watching "Oh Happy Day".

I love the way Elvis loves this song, too. I sit there watching him enjoy the song, while I smile, with love, lol. Really, a wonderful moment it is! (y)

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dGVqFPQF8E

presley31
06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Google will show it as September of 73. "Down at the End of Lonely Street" shows it as "shortly before the divorce became final", which of course was October 0f 73.

I guess the boys forgot there facts cause it says 71 after the show at Tahoe.

page 510 revelations from the memphis mafia.

cameron
06-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks Cameron! OK - can you find anything on Graceland being redecorated around 1971????

This thread has gone so far "off topic" ----:blink:
But, here's a book that talks of Priscilla redecorating Graceland in 1971.

http://books.google.com/books?id=RdhpXMEZbcQC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=graceland+redecorated+1971&source=web&ots=qVNN__YDL-&sig=s2lpnMUWKiV5Fpl50GjMIn5GRzU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result
Ok, I'm retiring this thread . :blush: or at least maybe we can split it up?

Unchained Melody
06-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks Cameron. I know the red was done in 1974 and the pool room was done in 74. I'm wondering when the peacocks were put in?

On the VHS Elvis Presley's Graceland they said the Peacocks were installed in 1974!!(y)

Unchained Melody
06-22-2008, 07:35 AM
It's just because nobody cares Diane.Nobody expects anything from them or has any preconceived image.Elvis is a totally different ballgame.His image is so different from the reality.Elvis was the idol not them.That's why Elvis' behaviour is so shocking.He was seen as Mr Perfect for so many years.His image was closely guarded and nobody cultivated that image more than Elvis himself.That's why people are so fascinated by his private life.

I agree !!! And I think that's alot of the reason why they like discussing the bizzare things that happened in his life, because thats so different than what we would expect from the man, as most thought he was this shy, humble boy from the south and didn't do no wrong but once you get in deep in studying his life its so complex its difficult for one to even begin to explain. But in the end we all love Elvis and what he left us!!:notworthy

Unchained Melody
06-22-2008, 07:39 AM

How bout some Clambake...

Dk8vgSdLrwQ

"Mama's little baby love clambake, clambake"

I have to say I LOVE this song :blush::blush:(y)