PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Hawaiian Style (1966)

Albert
09-25-2004, 08:37 PM
PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE

Theatrical-Release: 1966
Studio: Paramount
Director: Michael Moore
Producer: Hal Wallis
Film Length: 91 mins
Colour/B&W: Colour

Cast:

Rick Richards - Elvis Presley
Judy Hudson - Suzanne Leigh
Danny Kohana - James Shigeta
Jan Kohana - Donna Butterworth
Lani - Marianna Hill
Pua - Irene Tsu
Lehua - Linda Wong
Joanna - Julie Parrish
Donald Belden - John Doucette

Story:

After returning to Hawaii, Elvis starts a helicopter service together with his friend James Shigeta. Elvis knows three beautiful girls (Wong, Hill and Parrish) and they help him out getting customers for his helicopter service.
Business seems so good he hires Suzanna Leigh as a secretary.

On a helicopter trip with a girlfriend Elvis loses control over the helicopter and accidentaly runs a car into a ditch. The man driving the car happens to be John Doucette, who is working for the Federal Aviation Agency.
Obviously Elvis is grounded for the time being because of his flying accident.

A little bit further on in the movie Elvis hears that his friend Shigeta and his daughter Butterworth made a crash landing.
Elvis flies out to rescue them, but because of this the Aviation Agency could cancel his licence permanently.

Elvis decides to pay Doucette a visit and explains everything that happened. Luckily enough Doucette tells him that because of the circumstances Elvis will not lose his license.

Behind The Scenes:

Filming started on August 7, 1965 at Hanauma Bay on the island of Oahu. Other locations were: Honolulu, Kauai (Hanalei Plantation Resort), Maui (Sheraton Hotel) and Laie, Oahu (Polynesian Cultural Center).

Working titles were: "Polynesian Paradise", "Hawaiian Paradise", "Hawaii USA".

During a break on Sunday, August 15, Elvis and Tom Parker visited the USS Arizona war memorial at Pearl Harbor, which his previous benefit concert on March 25, 1961, had helped build.

"Paradise Hawaiian Style" reached No.40 in Variety's list of top grossing films for 1966.

Movie trailer:

YouTube- Scratch My Back Elvis Presley (clip from movie)

Songs:

Paradise Hawaiian Style
Queenie Wahine's Papaya
Scratch My Back
Drums Of The Islands
Datin'
A Dog's Life
House Of Sand
Stop Where You Are
This Is My Heaven

Related Links:

Pictures: www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=72&userid= (http://www.tcb-world.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=72&userid=)

LeMond
03-17-2005, 06:36 PM
I think this is the best one of Elvis' Hawaii movies. A couple of good tunes too in the soundtrack.

JerryNodak
05-15-2005, 02:47 AM
A pale imitation of " Blue Hawaii". But I find that if I sit back on a cold winter's night and just go with the flow and accept the picture for what it is, a technicolor picture postcard tour of Hawaii, it can be enjoyable. The scenery is terriffic. Sure does warm up a cold night.
Weak script. Weak supporting cast. Poor soundtrack with only a couple of good songs.

Memphisgurl
10-02-2005, 09:35 PM
blue hawaii was better

deb803
10-10-2005, 04:50 AM
When I went to Elvis week in August, the girl that played "Friday" was in one of the gift shops. she has writen a book. She was promoting her book there. Well, she seems like a very nice person. I could have talked or listened to her all day.

Sonny
11-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Updated,

Sonny

Lisarose
03-26-2007, 04:41 PM
I haven't seen all of Elvis' movies, I own 21 of the 31(?) & have seen 25 altogether. So far, this movie is at the bottom of my list. Just didn't care for it at all. I knew, of course he'd end up with Friday, but didn't catch the story line that led up to that romance. It just happened :blink: - Oh yeah, she's not really married so now she's mine - end of movie.

beckyelvis1
03-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Nice scenery in this movie

Sonny
11-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Updated with clip from the movie.

Trev1
08-18-2010, 12:54 PM
This movie is under rated. it has to be taken for what it is - light hearted fun with some great scenery
and one or two nice songs thrown in..... !!!

bigfan
08-18-2010, 04:30 PM
elvis was a very good actor,his early films prove it,and though some of these other films had lousy scripts elvis single handedly made them block busters,:)

EnigmaticSun
08-18-2010, 06:15 PM
This movie is under rated. it has to be taken for what it is - light hearted fun with some great scenery
and one or two nice songs thrown in..... !!!

Agreed - I prefer this over some late 60's attempts to produce a "serious" or "different" movie, which didn't always work out. Hawaiian Style is a nice movie to relax and anyone can watch it!

Trev1
08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
yep i agree, the Trouble With Girls is probably my least fav Elvis movie because of what you mentioned....

Movies like Paradise, Tickle Me, Clambake are fun with Elvis playing basically the same guy who gets
into some fun situations with the opposite sex :)

EnigmaticSun
08-24-2010, 05:48 PM
yep i agree, the Trouble With Girls is probably my least fav Elvis movie because of what you mentioned.

While this movie lacks a bit of action and portrays some rude characters, especially Change of Habit suffers the fate I had described.. don't know whether you actually saw it?

Cliff
08-24-2010, 07:06 PM
elvis was a very good actor,his early films prove it,and though some of these other films had lousy scripts elvis single handedly made them block busters,:)

The evidence speaks for it's self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJIFS3kH354

bigfan
08-25-2010, 04:26 PM
very good cliff,well put together,it goes to show that elvis in my opinion is also the best actor of all time,:)