PDA

View Full Version : December 76 best of the best

Unchained Melody
06-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Tonight I decided to watch the complete new years eve 1976 dvd. and i will say its probably one of elvis' best performances of all time. just watching him especially during polk salad annie watching his facial expressions its so great to see him getting so lost in the music again and really showing the passsion he always had for performing again. I do not know the specific reason of why Elvis all of a sudden decided to turn the intensity up in his shows but I bet Elvis fans all around the stadium were so happy to see him back in great shape singing his can off. Some say he was simply showing off for his new found love, the beautiful ginger alden, some will point towards the medication, I 'm really not sure which it is but it honestly doesn't matter as watching the performances its just great to see elvis actually happy on stage. I will say these shows are some of his best EVER.

rickb
06-12-2008, 09:39 AM
if it was just medication i wished he had been dosed to such outstanding outcomes on a more regular basis.
He clearly was `up' physically and mentally at the time. His weight loss gave him more flexibility and he seemed happy.
He does not seem to be over medicated in these shows.
Sadly that wasn't to last.

Getlo
06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
back in great shape

Hmmm ... ;)

Unchained Melody
06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Hmmm ... ;)

Ok so I over exaggerated that maybe a bit.

Compared to the previous months he was looking alot better.

Getlo
06-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Compared to the previous months he was looking alot better.

Yes, he was. A pity it didn't last.

And a pity that, visually at least, Pittsburgh doesn't match the great vocals of that night.

Unchained Melody
06-12-2008, 01:34 PM

And a pity that, visually at least, Pittsburgh doesn't match the great vocals of that night.

True Getlo. Just imagine though the happy fans must have been to see there guy looking fit again and performing with passion..:notworthy Such ashame it didn't last long at all

Dudcowboy_1
06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
well he still lost a lot of weight from October to November shows too...anyone see Anahiem, Calif. home videos? He looked the same then when he did for New Years Eve tours.

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

TotallyInsane
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
well he still lost a lot of weight from October to November shows too...anyone see Anahiem, Calif. home videos? He looked the same then when he did for New Years Eve tours.

Love to all,
Tim Dudley

And, he also certainly lost a lot of weight between August and December, 76! Appeared to be 2 totally different people as in physically and mentally. In December he was a happy camper or at least he faked it well enough to make me believe he was happy!

elvisbootlegs
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Tonight I decided to watch the complete new years eve 1976 dvd. and i will say its probably one of elvis' best performances of all time. just watching him especially during polk salad annie watching his facial expressions its so great to see him getting so lost in the music again and really showing the passsion he always had for performing again. I do not know the specific reason of why Elvis all of a sudden decided to turn the intensity up in his shows but I bet Elvis fans all around the stadium were so happy to see him back in great shape singing his can off. Some say he was simply showing off for his new found love, the beautiful ginger alden, some will point towards the medication, I 'm really not sure which it is but it honestly doesn't matter as watching the performances its just great to see elvis actually happy on stage. I will say these shows are some of his best EVER.

You got that right CJB! Polk Salad from this show gets me going each time. I have always thought Elvis was under the impression that this was going to be his last concert for about a year and a half, as JD was quoted several times as saying E had told them in Vegas that after the upcoming tour, they needed to find other employment for a year or two. I think his plan was that since he knew the bodyguard book was on its way out, lets go out with a bang, slimmer and healthier looking than he had been all year, no downers so no slurred speech, and the fact that he allowed Bob Heis front row access to film the show without interference from the police, he wanted that show to be his lasting impression, so when the book came out in Aug. of 77 the fans would think how great he looked and performend in Dec 76, and it just couldnt be true. As we know by looking at the funeral pics from Jan 3, he was still looking amazing, if not even better than the week before. From my own readings, I think the COl. told E that he booked him for tour shows through May 77 on about Jan 12 or 13th. My opinion was he was so depressed about not getting to take time off that is when he really blew up lloking horrific on the Hollywood 77 show, though I think his singing is every bit as good on that show as the NYE show.....

elvisbootlegs
06-12-2008, 06:50 PM
if it was just medication i wished he had been dosed to such outstanding outcomes on a more regular basis.
He clearly was `up' physically and mentally at the time. His weight loss gave him more flexibility and he seemed happy.
He does not seem to be over medicated in these shows.
Sadly that wasn't to last.

I've always thought he did strictly amphetamines (remember, they were legal at the time) for this tour and eliminated all downers from his regimen...

elvisbootlegs
06-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Hmmm ... ;)

He looked far better in October 76, but since he lost so much weight from Sept. to Oct I always got the impression he had no energy from starving himself (much like Aloha)... but he looked great in Nov, though probably 10 lbs heavier, but when he fell on 12-5-76 and had to get back on pain meds for several days, he gained about another 20 or so...

elvisbootlegs
06-12-2008, 06:53 PM

.....although he looked frighteningly awful on the Hollywood 77 show, by Charlotte I think he looked better than Dec. 76, and at least matched how good he looked for Nov. 76...

elvisbootlegs
06-12-2008, 07:04 PM
here we go.....

uS-glPwCO0w
H4MYaglriOI
December 31, 1975 (Pontiac, MI)

eswaMpJoxxQ
October 23, 1976 (Richfield, OH)

jmVz265QlGk
OjwGicUMaKY
November 30, 1976 (Anaheim, CA)

_mFWEo9IUwA
December 12, 1976 C.S. (Las Vegas - LAST VEGAS SHOW)

tbeyMbAXDyI
December 31, 1976 (Pittsburgh, PA - ALT Angle)

DlGVQVGqTNs
February 1977 (Charlotte, NC - ALSO WATCH FOR FINAL "BRIDGE")

MfFRIJCLQWM
May 2, 1977 (Chicago, IL - THE BACKWARD SOMERSAULT "HURT")

eV4V2PcAS-8
June 25, 1977 (Cincinnati, OH - The Final UNCHAINED)

Jungleroom76
06-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Even during Elvis' final Las Vegas engagement in December '76, he was looking much better than he had during the summer tours! Of course, some of the shows during this engagement suffered from his overindulgence in medications (particularly the 12/5/76 show)!! :'(

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
06-13-2008, 04:58 AM
THANK YOU ELVISBOOTLEGS for posting those EXCELLENT video's(y)(y)

They were splendid, especially the 12-31-1975 New Years Eve Show!!

And I agree with you, on 2-21-1977 I think he looked as good there as he had in December 1976. And as for the story of Elvis under the impression he was going to have a year off, I've heard the same thing, and have heard thats why his spirits were so high he was glad he was going to have some time off!!

Unchained Melody
06-13-2008, 05:00 AM
He looked far better in October 76, but since he lost so much weight from Sept. to Oct I always got the impression he had no energy from starving himself (much like Aloha)... but he looked great in Nov, though probably 10 lbs heavier, but when he fell on 12-5-76 and had to get back on pain meds for several days, he gained about another 20 or so...

Agreed. he was well on the road to recovery getting back in healthy shape, even the first 2 or 3 nights in Vegas showed Elvis performing as strong as ever. But when he fell and hur this ankle on the 5th, and was worried about his father who had another heart attach I think all that got him back down.

Unchained Melody
06-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Question Brett, is that clips of the 12-31-75 concert a preview of what we will get as a bonus on the Soundboard Films ? (y)

Nevermind I just read one of your post saying it was to be on Vol.4. Looks to be promising!!

Unchained Melody
06-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Don't you just LOVE that dynamic ending to Can't Help Fallin' In Love from the October 23rd 1976 footage...THAT is one fine show!!

Jungleroom76
06-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Don't you just LOVE that dynamic ending to Can't Help Fallin' In Love from the October 23rd 1976 footage...THAT is one fine show!!

While I am not sure if there is any video of this performance, if you are looking for a DYNAMIC ending to Can't Help Falling In Love, check out the audio from the show in Largo, MD. on 5/22/77. The note that he hits at the end of Can't Help Falling In Love is absolutely BREATHTAKING!!!!

AND it's from a '77 show!!! :D

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
06-16-2008, 07:43 AM
While I am not sure if there is any video of this performance, if you are looking for a DYNAMIC ending to Can't Help Falling In Love, check out the audio from the show in Largo, MD. on 5/22/77. The note that he hits at the end of Can't Help Falling In Love is absolutely BREATHTAKING!!!!

AND it's from a '77 show!!! :D

TCB!
Mike

And on the import CD 8.30 PM Tonight...(y)

I've got that one buddy ;) Too bad there is not any footage from that great show!!

Jungleroom76
06-18-2008, 01:16 AM
And on the import CD 8.30 PM Tonight...(y)

O.K. wise guy!!! :P

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
06-18-2008, 05:05 AM
[/size][/b]

O.K. wise guy!!! :P

TCB!
Mike

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to sound like a wise guy, I copied and pasted that title that's why it was so big lol:blush::notworthy