PDA

View Full Version : Paying for an autograph

President Presley
05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
How do you all think about paying money for an autograph of the TCB band or other people who knew Elvis.

Last year I was at a convention, and if you wanted an autograph of James Burton, Jerry Scheff, Ronnie Tutt or Glenn D. Hardin you had to pay 5 Euro and only on a TCB poster you also had to buy there.

Come on, these people are loaded with money, do they really need to rip off the 'loyal' Elvis fans.

PS
I wonder what Elvis would have thought of all this:hmm:

Pelvis
05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Hmmm i think it's sad they ask money for that,Elvis never asked any money for his autograph

Miss Clawdy
05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Last year I saw The TCB Band and the Sweets with 'Elvis 2007', there
was an autograph session after the show and I got all their autographs
for free on the backside of my ticket bill. You could buy pics and posters
too, but you didn't have to. I agree it would be sad and not ok if they
started asking for money for their autographs....:blink:

Lisarose
05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
I feel very strongly about this. No money for autographs. Period.
When did Elvis ever charge? Okay, I'm done before I say something that
will get me banned.

utmom2008
05-29-2008, 03:00 AM
I have nearly all of the TCB band's autographs..I would get them every summer in Vegas. I also have Vernon Presley's autograph along with Jerry Schilling, Joe Esposito and Charlie Hodge. In March of 74 Gail and I hung out all morning and early afternoon in the lobby of the Astroworld Hotel and got more autographs that day. They were flattered back in the day to be handing out autographs..what a shame that they now think it's OK to make money from their connection to Elvis. I guess they are still TCB'ing.:whistling:whistling:blink::blink:

Unchained Melody
05-29-2008, 08:48 AM
When it comes to paying for Elvis' autographs its so hard to tell whether its really authenic or not. Especially when dealing with people on ebay you have to watch out for crooks!(n)

Awickedreigndrop
05-30-2008, 08:00 AM
I got Joe E.'s autograph for free when he came to my home town. He was selling his books but he was signing pictures and other books that wasn't his.

Getlo
05-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I got all the TCB Band autographs, including the Sweets and Imperials, when they last came to Sydney in 2006.

How?

I walked right up to them at their hotel the next day and asked.

I would imagine the charging for autographs was not their idea, and more to do with the organisers of the event.

President Presley
05-30-2008, 02:44 PM
I would imagine the charging for autographs was not their idea, and more to do with the organisers of the event.

Reading all the posts here, I think you're right. I always thought it were the TCB members who got greedy. Thanks all, I was getting bad thoughts about the TCB band, now it's all cleared up(y)

Unchained Melody
05-30-2008, 06:17 PM
I got all the TCB Band autographs, including the Sweets and Imperials, when they last came to Sydney in 2006.

How?

That is very cool Getlo and the way to do it (y)

The only person's autograph I have is Jerry Schilling and that was in one of the limited copies of his book that were really signed by him...

ELVIS2001NET
05-30-2008, 08:42 PM
i have many autographs in my collection and i understand why it bothers you that many charge for there signatures now. But it costs money to print the 8 by ten photos. why should they have to eat that exspence. so i can see why they would have to charge. But i have run into some who tried to charge me for there autograph when i asked them for there signature on something i already had.
:mad:
Joe K
www.elvis2001.net

LianaKaralivanou
05-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Hmmmm. I believe that Elvis wouldn't have approved of the ripping off the fans. And by that I don't mean only the expensive autographs but all the products that uses Elvis' name. And they are a lot.

Lisarose
05-31-2008, 02:14 AM
I still say no, okay, photos, yes someone has to absorb the price - the people who put the event on, perhaps? What if you go up to someone with an album/cd/book you've already paid for? Elvis signed more autographs in his short lifetime than did anyone else, I'd dare to say. Never once did he ask for a dime. And these millions of autographed papers/menus/playbills/album covers, etc are worth a lot of money. They aren't rare! Some member on this board probably have more than one!

ELVIS2001NET
05-31-2008, 03:09 AM
I still say no, okay, photos, yes someone has to absorb the price - the people who put the event on, perhaps? What if you go up to someone with an album/cd/book you've already paid for? Elvis signed more autographs in his short lifetime than did anyone else, I'd dare to say. Never once did he ask for a dime. And these millions of autographed papers/menus/playbills/album covers, etc are worth a lot of money. They aren't rare! Some member on this board probably have more than one!

some of the menus and other items are rare. you just need to know which one.
joe k
www.elvis2001.net

utmom2008
05-31-2008, 03:27 AM
some of the menus and other items are rare. you just need to know which one.
joe k
www.elvis2001.net

OK...I am curious.:doh: Which menus are rare??:hmm:

ELVIS2001NET
05-31-2008, 02:59 PM
http://www.elvis2001.net/images/MENUS_internationalmenu.jpg

well what are we talking about . rare or valuble? sometimes they are the same

like the above menu from the International hotel.
the value is from Jerry Osbornes 2006 values book.
the value $1,200
the value depends on condition.
there are more.
joe k
www.elvis2001.net

cameron
05-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Can't say I was ever an autograph seeker . IMO, IF you want a picture, a menue or whatever; you pay for it. IF it's just an autograph, there should be no charge . Friends of mine in the UK are given all the autographs and take pictures with all the TCB Band and are never charged. So, I guess I don't get it. :blink:

ELVIS2001NET
05-31-2008, 03:17 PM
I agree they should not charge. But if its a photo . you can not expect them to give it free.
joe k
www.elvis2001.net

rocknroll
05-31-2008, 04:02 PM
I have never and will never ask anyone for their signature, free or otherwise.

ELVIS2001NET
05-31-2008, 04:18 PM
To Each there own
Joe K
www.elvis2001.net

rhythmknights
06-02-2008, 12:45 PM
i just bought Scotty's book off amazon, - it came autographed - the book was $4 + SH. not bad, i just wish i coulda talked to him in person - would've asked about Tarnelle, that's for sure! :D

ELVIS2001NET
06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
my autograh collection became a collection before i knew what was happening. Its just cool to have them. What was the hardest autograh to get?
anyone?
joe k
www.elvis2001.net

adjeap
01-15-2009, 04:49 AM
Does anyone have contact info for Ronnie Tutt, Glenn Hardin, James Burton, Jerry Scheff or John Wilkerson?? I would like to contact them for an autograph.
Thanks
TCB
Anchor

MissyM
01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Well, they don't make as much as people think by doing appearances. And there are costs of doing them involved. Hotels, plane fare, ect. So by paying for an autography you are really paying for their time and expenses. I rather doubt that they make all that much off of them.
Who are we to say that they have enough money. That I don't know don't think is relevant. You wouldn't pay for your time with them so you have to pay for something. If you do a job, you get paid for doing it. This is one way they do. I don't know what the person having them pays them to be there. From my understanding, it's not a fortune.
Then I'd have to ask, what would you pay for an autography pix of your fav. sports star? Would you pay. They make a whole lot more than these folks.

Tony Trout
01-15-2009, 01:54 PM
How do you all think about paying money for an autograph of the TCB band or other people who knew Elvis.

Last year I was at a convention, and if you wanted an autograph of James Burton, Jerry Scheff, Ronnie Tutt or Glenn D. Hardin you had to pay 5 Euro and only on a TCB poster you also had to buy there.

Come on, these people are loaded with money, do they really need to rip off the 'loyal' Elvis fans.

PS
I wonder what Elvis would have thought of all this:hmm:

I have nearly all of the TCB band's autographs..I would get them every summer in Vegas. I also have Vernon Presley's autograph along with Jerry Schilling, Joe Esposito and Charlie Hodge. In March of 74 Gail and I hung out all morning and early afternoon in the lobby of the Astroworld Hotel and got more autographs that day. They were flattered back in the day to be handing out autographs..what a shame that they now think it's OK to make money from their connection to Elvis. I guess they are still TCB'ing.:whistling:whistling:blink::blink:

Ladies,

Please read Getlo's reply below. There's a major difference to just walking up to someone and getting their autograph rather than getting their autographs on a poster - the reason they charge (if the autograph is on a poster) is because it takes money to make that poster/card/whatever the autograph is on. It's got absolutely nothing at all to do with them whether they give you or not give you an autograph as an individual person.

I'm actually hoping to meet James for the very first time in June of this year and get my guitar autographed. The band I'm in is playing at the same venue the day before he appears there with Jim Lauderdale.

How?

Bingo, Getlo. That's it in a nutshell - plus the fact that it costs money to make the posters that the autographs are printed on and getting their autographs on a poster is a much different situation than just walking up to them and saying, "Can I please have your autograph?"

Does anyone have contact info for Ronnie Tutt, Glenn Hardin, James Burton, Jerry Scheff or John Wilkerson?? I would like to contact them for an autograph.
Thanks
TCB
Anchor

PM being sent your way.

easyrider
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Only Elvis!!!!!!

rocknroll
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Not only do I not pay for autographs, I don't even ask for them.

Wendy56
01-16-2009, 04:17 AM
If somebody tells me it's really-real...... I would pay a big amount of money. Just if the autograph says "to Wendy" and it's from Elvis. :D

Miss Clawdy
01-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Only yesterday it so happened that I got autographs of the TCB Band (except Ronnie who is still on tour with Neil Diamond), The Sweet Inspirations and Jerry Schilling once again for free. You could buy fotos which would cost 10 , but you didn't have to. They signed everything you gave them.

The lady who was in front of me took a foto of Jerry Scheff and Elvis from the pile that lay in front of Jerry and got it signed by him.
When she wanted to move along Jerry said to her: 'I hate to ask, but do you have 10 ?' The lady looked at him and didn't know what to do, I told her that she had to pay for the foto.
She was very puzzled and said that she didn't know that. When Jerry noticed her embarrassment he smiled and said: 'It's ok, E., it's ok, that's my gift for you today.' :D;)(y)

Jungleroom76
01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Obviously obtaining an autograph in person is clearly the only way to guarantee the authenticity of the autograph... ;)

HOWEVER....that being said, I don't really have a problem with the people associated with Elvis charging for their autograph IF they are sending the autograph through the mail to the fans that are buying it. Most of the people associated with Elvis have websites where you can buy a picture, souvenier or whatever and have it autographed by that person. In my opinion you're buying the item and having it autographed....much the same way as if you met the person in line at an autograph signing and asked them to sign something you brought, which you had bought at some point. :hmm:

Now if you bring an item to an autograph signing and have to pay for the person to sign it, then I think THAT is a little much! (n)

But as I said, if you are buying an item through the mail and having the person sign it, then I don't see a problem with them charging for it.

Sorry if this sounds confusing....it sounds much better in my mind than it seems to have come out in this post... :blink: :blush:

TCB!
Mike

Silenz
01-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Last year I saw The TCB Band and the Sweets with 'Elvis 2007', there
was an autograph session after the show and I got all their autographs
for free on the backside of my ticket bill. You could buy pics and posters
too, but you didn't have to. I agree it would be sad and not ok if they
started asking for money for their autographs....:blink:

Yupp thats right!!
Also visit the Elvis 2007 concert in Sweden. But i payed for a pair of drumsticks that Ronnie Tutt then signed:king: How cool isnt that folks:notworthy

laura17
01-17-2009, 02:24 AM
i own the 69 menu..mint!

epmoodyblue
01-17-2009, 02:33 AM
i would only pay big bucks http://ac4.yt-thm-a02.yimg.com/image/74596ebb6e5d7068for elvis autograph..assuming its the real (y) ..others associated with elvis(worked 4 him) im not interested in

rickb
01-17-2009, 03:03 AM
I've got Scotty's signed book and that's it.
It is not uncommon for `stars' to ask cfor payment for autographs at events so i wouldn't be too upset

Lisarose
01-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Seven months later and I still have the same opinion. They do what they gotta do but I'm still not paying anyone for an autograph.
Like I keep saying - Elvis gave out autographs untiringly, constantly and never once asked for anything in return.

buttonhead
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Like I keep saying - Elvis gave out autographs untiringly, constantly and never once asked for anything in return.

I agree with that , ...

sometimes the Elvis friends or people who used to know him did not actually wanna sell their autograph , its the event organizer , but i can't deny it that some of those people are probably agree to it for profits.

I remember trying to get this autograph of that belly dancer in Elvis ' Little Egypt' song from his Comeback Special,...she told everyone very clear that she will not signed anything unless we bought her picture which was $20 ( duh ) .. so we had to pass on that....I was like who do you think she is ? :blink: she was just having her 2 minutes of fame in that scene, and this is her attitude. :lmfao: Sorry i am not a mean person but thats how i felt about her at that time .

I can go on and on about this,... but like Forrest Gump said : " Thats all i can say about that ."

President Presley
01-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Only yesterday it so happened that I got autographs of the TCB Band (except Ronnie who is still on tour with Neil Diamond), The Sweet Inspirations and Jerry Schilling once again for free. You could buy fotos which would cost 10 , but you didn't have to. They signed everything you gave them.

The lady who was in front of me took a foto of Jerry Scheff and Elvis from the pile that lay in front of Jerry and got it signed by him.
When she wanted to move along Jerry said to her: 'I hate to ask, but do you have 10 ?' The lady looked at him and didn't know what to do, I told her that she had to pay for the foto.
She was very puzzled and said that she didn't know that. When Jerry noticed her embarrassment he smiled and said: 'It's ok, E., it's ok, that's my gift for you today.' :D;)(y)

Great story about the lady who didn't know she had to pay, maybe she gets away with it everytime :) Hands down :notworthy for Jerry to just give it away, that's the spirit.

MissyM
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I agree with that , ...

sometimes the Elvis friends or people who used to know him did not actually wanna sell their autograph , its the event organizer , but i can't deny it that some of those people are probably agree to it for profits.

I remember trying to get this autograph of that belly dancer in Elvis ' Little Egypt' song from his Comeback Special,...she told everyone very clear that she will not signed anything unless we bought her picture which was $20 ( duh ) .. so we had to pass on that....I was like who do you think she is ? :blink: she was just having her 2 minutes of fame in that scene, and this is her attitude. :lmfao: Sorry i am not a mean person but thats how i felt about her at that time .

I can go on and on about this,... but like Forrest Gump said : " Thats all i can say about that ."

Elvis could afford to do that. So people think that what he did, they all should do? People have to make a living post Elvis. Unless one of us is privy to their tax return, we don't know what their financial situation is. I don't really understand what the big deal is. I'm going to a hockey player signing tonight. One pix with autograph for grandson is costing me $34.00. I don't mind one bit. It will be worth more than that in 10 years. The hockey player is doing this between games and talks to everyone. The hockey player is my granson's inspiration, and role model. His words/time are worth something to me and him. It's real simple, if you think it's wrong, don't pay for one.

Tony Trout
01-20-2009, 02:31 PM

As I and others have said, there is a major difference in just walking up to someone and asking for their autograph and going to a performance venue to get one in an autograph line. When Elvis signed autographs, there weren't people standing in line at a venue to get the autograph - people just walked up to him and asked for it. If there had been an official autograph line or a meet and greet at a venue, you can almost bet that you would've probably been charged for getting the autograph.

If they're at a venue and having an autograph session and the autograph is on a poster (or something of the sort), I don't see a problem with them asking for $$$.

As others have also said, we don't know the financial situation of these guys and girls. Is it wrong for them to make money all of a sudden? It's their job! It'd be like you going into work and your boss telling you: "Hey, we're not going to pay you for the work you do and the time you spend doing your work".

laura17
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
i own the 69 menu mint

Miss Clawdy
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm actually hoping to meet James for the very first time in June of this year and get my guitar autographed. The band I'm in is playing at the same venue the day before he appears there with Jim Lauderdale.

Tony, I don't know if it's news to you or not.... for me it was :blush:....

At the TCB band concert last week we were told that James Burton had signed an advertising contract with Fender (I think it was Fender :hmm:), and that he's not allowed to sign guitars from other manufacturers. So make sure you'll bring the right guitar :D;).

buttonhead
01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
At the TCB band concert last week we were told that James Burton had signed an advertising contract with Fender (I think it was Fender :hmm:), and that he's not allowed to sign guitars from other manufacturers. So make sure you'll bring the right guitar :D;).

Yes, thats true...

But one time James Burton' wife happened to be there, so when we asked him to signed the guitar,... he refused ( at first) until his wife told him to just do it for us and he did, we told him it was not for sell on ebay or whatsoever ,... who knows maybe Tony will get lucky. :)

Lisarose
01-20-2009, 06:08 PM
As I and others have said, there is a major difference in just walking up to someone and asking for their autograph and going to a performance venue to get one in an autograph line. When Elvis signed autographs, there weren't people standing in line at a venue to get the autograph - people just walked up to him and asked for it. If there had been an official autograph line or a meet and greet at a venue, you can almost bet that you would've probably been charged for getting the autograph.

If they're at a venue and having an autograph session and the autograph is on a poster (or something of the sort), I don't see a problem with them asking for $$$.

As others have also said, we don't know the financial situation of these guys and girls. Is it wrong for them to make money all of a sudden? It's their job! It'd be like you going into work and your boss telling you: "Hey, we're not going to pay you for the work you do and the time you spend doing your work".

I understand all that, I know I've heard Bill Black on early radio interviews - the Louisiana Hayride shows announcing "I'll have Photographs of Elvis for sale after the show." And to pay for a hockey player's autograph, if you want, go for it. I personally won't pay for anyone's autograph especially, if that person/organization already charged $75 for an admission ticket. I realize there are a lot of people behind the scenes - but there it is!

Tony Trout
01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Tony, I don't know if it's news to you or not.... for me it was :blush:....

I will have my Fender reissue paisley telecaster guitar with me that night so....I'm sure he'll sign it. :);)

Miss Clawdy
01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I will have my Fender reissue paisley telecaster guitar with me that night so....I'm sure he'll sign it. :);)

Thank God, you'll be on the safe side for sure :D (y)!