PDA

View Full Version : Steve Binder To Produce Colonel Film

presley31
05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Producers David Permut and Steve Binder have acquired screen rights to Alanna Nash's 2003 book "The Colonel: The Extraordinary Story of Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis Presley." Permut and Binder will develop a feature titled "The Colonel" based on the book about the man with shadowy origins who reinvented himself as the Svengali behind the world's most famous entertainer.

Parker started his showbiz career as a hustler on the carnival circuit before promoting Minnie Pearl and Eddy Arnold. Parker built Presley into a global music and film star -- and took 50% of the spoils.

Nash dug deeply into Parker's origins in the expose. While Parker always claimed to be American, Nash uncovered a past life in the Netherlands that included his possible involvement in the bludgeoning death of a female acquaintance. Though that murder remains unsolved, Permut said the event may factor into the script because it's one explanation of why Parker left abruptly for America and rarely ventured outside the U.S. Presley famously never went on a European tour because Parker didn't want to go there.

Permut said he and Binder (who produced Presley's 1968 comeback TV special) set up the project after hiring a writer and director. Steve Longi will be co-producer.

source: http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?command=show&item=10675

President Presley
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm curious how the movie will be. Will they tell he was actualy Dutch and couln't go abroad with Elvis because he had no passport? Or will they only tell positives things?
Thanks for the info.

Lisarose
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I didn't realize that Ms Nash is the one who fully uncovered the Col. dark past.
From reading the Guralnick book, Binder didn't appear to have the best relationship
with Parker - I wonder just how Binder will have the col. portrayed.

Tony Trout
05-28-2008, 05:24 PM
The excuse of 'not having a passport to leave the country' was just that...an excuse.

Miss Clawdy
05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
As they have acquired screen rights to Alanna Nash's book "The Colonel:
The Extraordinary Story of Colonel Tom Parker and Elvis Presley",
I would say they should adhere to the book as precisely as possible.

Miss Clawdy
05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
The excuse of 'not having a passport to leave the country' was just that...an excuse.

Excuse me....how do you leave a country without a passport? He crossed
the pond as a stowaway and smuggled himself into the States, maybe
because he didn't have a Dutch passport...or for some other reason;).

franny
05-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Sounds interesting. I wonder who they will get to play Elvis and The Colonel...:hmm:
Thanks, for posting Jen. (y)

franny

cameron
05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I bought the book Alanna wrote. To my surprise, I really enjoyed it.
Let's hope they stick to the book. She did a good job, IMO .(y)

Jungleroom76
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
It was definitely a well researched and thought provoking book to be sure and I am anxious to see how the movie will turn out, although I do hope they stick close to the book without taking too many liberties with the story.

TCB!
Mike

Unchained Melody
05-29-2008, 03:28 AM

Spot on Tony ! Parker was the master of manipulation. Will make for an interesting movie !(y)