PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Song to Sing

SeeSeeRider777
05-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Did Elvis ever say any song was hard to sing? And if so is there a story to it? If anyone knows please post.

Thanks

Pelvis
05-28-2008, 06:31 AM
how about the song "hurt" live on stage?

It is vocally hard to sing,and it was even live on stage in the last years of his life..

hounddog
05-28-2008, 06:44 AM
in the booklet that comes with the Burning Love cd it says that after his first run through of I'm Leavin he can be heard saying "Phew man it's tough but the things is worth working on"

rhythmknights
05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
i remember something about the National Anthem. he said that note was just too high or something.
a bit of trivia that is so totally off-topic: Vicki Carr was the first person who opted to sing America the Beautiful instead of the National Anthem at the Jan 1977 Superbowl game. Oh! but Elvis sang America the Beautiful, in Georgia, 1976 - according to the following clip

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-MwXvzTww

ricky
05-28-2008, 08:25 AM
I remember an article in the "New Musical Express" in the 50's where he stated that Jailhouse Rock was one of the hardest songs he had ever sung, it is in an incredible Key which has made his version so hard to copy,try singing along with him to it and you will see what I mean!

rhythmknights
05-28-2008, 08:40 AM
hiya, Ricky! didn't know that about that song. i'll have to try it, but i doubt that i could really tell ;the difference since my singing tends to scare the dog - so I don't do it much.

a hard one i would think would be Clean Up YOur Own Backyard - it's got some tongue twisting lyrics! i can sing that last verse finally, but only if I sing along with him.
'isn't it a pity that in this big city not a one little bity man will ad-mit he coulda been a little bit awrong' phew!

SleepyJack
05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
In terms of trying to sing along to Elvis songs I think people should be very careful about attempting "Rags to riches".......I tried it once and a piece of vocal cord flew out and hit the wall at the other end of the room!......end of SleepyJack`s dream of being an entertainer!!

EnigmaticSun
06-01-2008, 07:18 PM
"Jailhouse Rock" is difficult indeed. It's hard to pronounce all the words right, especially with a high tempo! The Spider Murphy part is okay, but it grows more difficult with the Drummer Boy from Illinois, I'd say.

There's a risk of slurringly turning the words into an incomprehensible mess (that's just being creative with language): "The whole rhythm sec-she was a purple gang" or something like that...

As for singing, I'd say it's very difficult to do "Surrender" or "It's Now Or Never" just right.

utmom2008
06-01-2008, 07:34 PM
hiya, Ricky! didn't know that about that song. i'll have to try it, but i doubt that i could really tell ;the difference since my singing tends to scare the dog - so I don't do it much.
I don't even try to sing in the shower....it scares the plumbing and the water will cut off!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

In terms of trying to sing along to Elvis songs I think people should be very careful about attempting "Rags to riches".......I tried it once and a piece of vocal cord flew out and hit the wall at the other end of the room!......end of SleepyJack`s dream of being an entertainer!!

Thanks for the warning...I will mark that one off of my list!:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

KPM
06-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I would think "The Impossible Dream" would be a candidate and also "What Now My Love" which on the Aloha Special- IMO- is one of Elvis's best vocal performances.

hounddog
06-03-2008, 11:23 PM
The last note on Tomorrow Never Comes is pretty high

MissyM
06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm going to say "Can't Help Falling In Love With You" because I tried it for a wedding of a friend. And I have a big vocal range. I finally had to tell GF, there is no way I can do that song.

ELVIS2001NET
06-04-2008, 01:26 PM
It would have to be "Jailhouse Rock " It was so hard on his voice that it was done on two different days and they put it together. if you listhen to it close you can hear the tone changes.
joe k
www.elvis2001.net

EnigmaticSun
06-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm going to say "Can't Help Falling In Love With You" because I tried it for a wedding of a friend. And I have a big vocal range. I finally had to tell GF, there is no way I can do that song.

Did you try it with a big operatic ending or what? The range needed for this song isn't incredibly great, normally. You might try playing it with an instrument, it helps. The song does call for precise phrasing, though I may prefer it in French.

Elvistcbkirch
06-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Just Pretend. The vocal range of this song takes a master...