PDA

View Full Version : Great songs.

hounddog
05-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Not sure if this has been done before but i thought it would be fun to see what folks here think are Elvis' greatest songs that most folks(non fans) wouldn't know that Elvis sang.

I'm gonna go with You Don't Know Me as i just watched the movie The Brave One and it's in it.

ehollier
05-11-2008, 01:31 PM
That's a tough one!!!!!!!!! There are so many many songs that he sang, both big hits and others that were so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like ALL of the songs on the Memphis Sessions CD. Everything he sang at American Studios in 1969 was the best (except Hey Jude)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many of those songs, sadly, never got much airtime either. Suspicious Minds was the big hit (still is!) from those recording sessions. Long Black Limousine, Wearing that Loved on Look, Stranger in my Own Hometown (a favorite!), Only the Strong Will Survive, Power of my Love (a favorite!!) (all of these tunes are AWESOME r&b efforts!!!!!!). Do you Know Who I Am?, Kentucky Rain, This is the Story (heartbreaking!!), Without Love (another heartbreaker!!) and After Loving You are all amazing!!!!

If you haven't heard any of these songs, please find them (YT has videos on each one in various forms!!) They are absolutely incredible!!!!!!!!!!

For critics that say that his best work was either before this or after this session hasn't really listened to these takes and heard the hunger that was evident when he went into the studio that winter. It was said that when Elvis was 'on', he was unstoppable!!!!!!!!!! Well, he was certainly "ON" and these recordings are unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisarose
05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
It's easier to start with the list that everyone knows! Kentucky Rain, Don't Be Cruel, Viva Las Vegas, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, Can't Stop Loving You, Return to Sender, Heartbreak Hotel, Love Me Tender, In the Ghetto and only because of recent history - A Little Less Conversation.
I'm sure there are a few others but IMO, these are probably the only ones anyone would hear at any given time on any radio station. I was playing my "CD of the Week" in my car and Hey Jude was the current track and my son starts listening and asks "who's that singing?" I just gave him that look and said "Elvis, of course" He didn't believe me, he had to pull out the disc to verify.

Of his early songs - I would say Paralyzed. That song should have done much better in the charts, again, IMO!

ehollier
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Another thing that makes this a difficult choice is what Elvis performed on stage was much different from what he did in the studio. There are some songs that I don't really like from the studio, but to hear and see him on stage, was astounding!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have to tell anyone that he was the CONSUMMATE performer. Some of the songs that I have come to really like from TTWII, I wouldn't have given much attention from its recording in the studio, but so see Elvis and hear Elvis perform them, I am totally blown away!!!!!!!!!!! Take for instance, "Just Pretend." The perfomance of that song is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! He really puts 210% into his performance, he really has to dig deep within to belt out those notes (i.e. when he has to almost go down on his knees to get the feeling right). That is not always prevalent on his studio recordings!!

hounddog
05-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Sorry it wasn't clear, songs that non fans would be surprised to know that he sung. such as Wearing that Loved on Look, Stranger in my Own Hometown etc

Lisarose
05-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Well then, probably songs like Snowbird, Fairytale, and definitely
Tomorrow is Such a Long Time. I think that most people that are not huge
Elvis fans would be surprised to know just how many songs Elvis did sing.

Unchained Melody
05-13-2008, 06:26 AM
If its Elvis, I will enjoy it !

Pelvis
05-14-2008, 04:10 PM
These 2 songs :

It's Diff'rent now
The twelfth of never ( my mix hehe )

FUOl7REmQW4

3ucbQrDEz50